Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian Open Tennis 2019
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:36am
Aus open kicking off in a couple of hours and looks to be a cracker as usual. Many seem to be predicting a changing of the guard but not sure I can see it just yet. The usual suspects look to have the goods again but you never know.

Mens:

Djoker: the short priced favourite (2.2) but not sure he deserves to be that short. Lost in the semi finals in Abu Dhabi a couple of weeks ago as well as losing sets in 2 or 3 of his other matches that week. Of course best of 5 sets is a different story so he may well click into gear. Happy to take him on at that price though if I was betting the winner market.

Federer: If you asked me a few months ago what his chances were I would have said small. Has once again performed very well in Perth though and looks to be going very well. Can see him making his way very deep with minimal fuss. If I was backing someone to win the title I would probably have something on him at 6ish.

Don’t like Nadal or Zverev. Feel like they both have injury clouds anyway but hard court in January doesn’t really suit Nadal anyway and Zverev is yet to make an impact in the slams. Happy to risk both.

Of the rest would give some chance to Anderson (26) & Nishikori (34). Maybe back them now with the intention of trading out of the position come the qtr finals. Or let it ride. Whatever you feel like.

Womens:

Managed to nab Wozniaki at 15 last year but really a case of who knows again here as I don’t follow the women’s game as closely. Any one of about 10 could win this to be honest. Seems like they take turns. Put me down for Barty but not with an Aus bookmaker. She’s 19 on Betfair currently so back there if you are interested. Looks to be in great form and still improving. Can definitely match it with the best. Have something on Kerber as well at around 8.

My own plays will basically be trading. Not going to bother explaining my strategy but if you’re interested its detailed in one of the threads from previous years. Might have been 2016 or 2017.

Tip for day 1: Shame this thread wasn’t started a couple of days ago as this one has firmed in quite a bit. Berdych over Edmund. Currently around 1.5 but was closer to 1.8 earlier. Basically Berdych is back from injuries and looked in good touch making the final in Abu Dhabi 2 weeks ago. At his best he is was solidly in the top 10. Add in Edmund’s inability to cope with heat (I watched him court side crumble in the heat in New York in August and he also had a repeat in Brisbane) and I think he will struggle again today.

Enjoy the tennis!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:40am
Who do you like out of Raonic v Kyrgios?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:42am
I will pick Naomi Osaka at $12

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Who do you like out of Raonic v Kyrgios?

Tough matchup for both with each having pluses and minuses. Raonic coming back from injury but I think we know what we will get from him. I think we know the level he will play at. At his best he can beat anyone but he will not be at that level here.

What Kyrgios will do is the question. If he turns up then I think he will win but turning up is a big if. He does have a lot to lose though as his ranking will drop further to the 70s if he loses.

Probably comes down to who wins the 1st set and what Kyrgios’s attitude is after that.

Ok put me down for Kyrgios in what’s probably a coin flip.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 1:35pm
Just been watching a game on Channel 9 Gem, and commentating the game is Melbourne race caller Matt Hill.

I’ll be cheering on the girl from Ballarat, Zoe Hives. She’s doing well so far.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:07pm
Round of 128·Court 8
Final

B. Mattek-Sands

Z. Hives
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Aus open kicking off in a couple of hours and looks to be a cracker as usual. Many seem to be predicting a changing of the guard but not sure I can see it just yet. The usual suspects look to have the goods again but you never know.

Mens:

Djoker: the short priced favourite (2.2) but not sure he deserves to be that short. Lost in the semi finals in Abu Dhabi a couple of weeks ago as well as losing sets in 2 or 3 of his other matches that week. Of course best of 5 sets is a different story so he may well click into gear. Happy to take him on at that price though if I was betting the winner market.

Federer: If you asked me a few months ago what his chances were I would have said small. Has once again performed very well in Perth though and looks to be going very well. Can see him making his way very deep with minimal fuss. If I was backing someone to win the title I would probably have something on him at 6ish.

Don’t like Nadal or Zverev. Feel like they both have injury clouds anyway but hard court in January doesn’t really suit Nadal anyway and Zverev is yet to make an impact in the slams. Happy to risk both.

Of the rest would give some chance to Anderson (26) & Nishikori (34). Maybe back them now with the intention of trading out of the position come the qtr finals. Or let it ride. Whatever you feel like.

Womens:

Managed to nab Wozniaki at 15 last year but really a case of who knows again here as I don’t follow the women’s game as closely. Any one of about 10 could win this to be honest. Seems like they take turns. Put me down for Barty but not with an Aus bookmaker. She’s 19 on Betfair currently so back there if you are interested. Looks to be in great form and still improving. Can definitely match it with the best. Have something on Kerber as well at around 8.

My own plays will basically be trading. Not going to bother explaining my strategy but if you’re interested its detailed in one of the threads from previous years. Might have been 2016 or 2017.

Tip for day 1: Shame this thread wasn’t started a couple of days ago as this one has firmed in quite a bit. Berdych over Edmund. Currently around 1.5 but was closer to 1.8 earlier. Basically Berdych is back from injuries and looked in good touch making the final in Abu Dhabi 2 weeks ago. At his best he is was solidly in the top 10. Add in Edmund’s inability to cope with heat (I watched him court side crumble in the heat in New York in August and he also had a repeat in Brisbane) and I think he will struggle again today.

Enjoy the tennis!

Anderson through to the next round in 4 beating Mannarino (just outside the seeds). Should have been straight sets except for a period of drop off. Will not want to do that against the top players.

Note: my reference in the OP to Abu Dhabi should have been Qatar. The tournament was in Dohar while the exhibition a few days prior to that was Abu Dhabi.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:18pm
Fed - clinical. Seems ageless. Hard to see him not going deep. Touch wood.
Kerber & Barty both through easily as well. Kerber more so though IMO.

Also: Tomic beaten in straight sets by Cilic which was probably to be expected. Kudos to Tomic on the effort though. Fought all the way where previously he would have folded quickly once beaten in the 1st set. May see him higher up the rankings again later in the year.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:33am
So good that Tomic lost in the first round Clap

Went out with an extraordinary spray against Hewitt, hopefully we will not hear anymore from the big mouth for a few more months
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:02am
The 9 coverage turned into the Andy Murray Show.

Deprived the young man who beat him, his moment in the sun, NO post match interview for him.

No tears from me in seeing Andy depart the scene.

Federer & Nadal are hard acts to follow and still right up there.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
Bernard Tomic is a flog
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:21am
Is there any truth to Tomic's rant? Are the wildcards in some way financially tied to Hewitt? Because on the face of it, giving those complete no-names a wildcard and not the Kokk looks strange.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:41pm

Is there any truth to Tomic's rant? Are the wildcards in some way financially tied to Hewitt? Because on the face of it, giving those complete no-names a wildcard and not the Kokk looks strange.

That’s the question isn’t it. He did sound like a dressmaker with the rant but if it has any truth at all then definitely something that should be looked at closely.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:44pm
Couple of straight out tips for today:

Chardy over Humbert
Kyrgios over Raonic - has a great H2H and feel like he will lift having to defend so many ranking pts.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:48am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Couple of straight out tips for today:

Chardy over Humbert
Kyrgios over Raonic - has a great H2H and feel like he will lift having to defend so many ranking pts.

Kyrgios ordinary last night and Raonic very good.
Chardy got the job done in a thriller.

Go for Monfils today. Should have too much fire power.

Other tournament selects made it through although Nishikori had to come from 2 sets down. He does sometimes go through periods in a match where his level drops right off. Will need to eliminate that if he’s going to win.

Djoker an easy win as you’d expect. Not sure much can be taken from that. Still think he’s too short in the tournament winner market even though he is the obvious favourite.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:58am
Sam Stosur should retire. Woeful again yesterday
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:18am
Whale, desist from stating the bleedin' obvious.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Whale, desist from stating the bleedin' obvious.

sorry LOL

Image result for treading on eggshells
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm
LOL Ouch Clap
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

So good that Tomic lost in the first round Clap

Went out with an extraordinary spray against Hewitt, hopefully we will not hear anymore from the big mouth for a few more months

He is a waste of a talented player. Should turn it up, but like Stosur, they give up a fortune in endorsements by quitting.

It will be interesting to see how his Hewitt comments filters out. It seems he has said what many think. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:53pm
What is Tonic endorsing? I doubt it's flying off the shelf whatever it is.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:58pm
He previously held a long standing sponsorship deal with Nike, before switching to Lacoste in 2018. Tomic wore Lotto clothing during the 2018 French Open qualifying, but was wearing Lacoste by the main draw.[95][96] Tomic wore Mizuno clothing for the first time at the start of the 2019 season.[97
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm
What is his deal worth? My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that it’s really only the top players who are getting any decent coin from these things. Most basically just get their clothing etc supplied which is why you see so many players wearing an identical kit.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:54pm
I know nothing about the games structure BUT ,   Common sense would tell me that Hewitt is giving his time to and selecting , promising young & stable players with the untapped ability and temperament to develope into competitive players in the future.

Tomic & Volcano are too disruptive / unpredictable , and are falling like baloons full of cement.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I know nothing about the games structure BUT ,   Common sense would tell me that Hewitt is giving his time to and selecting , promising young & stable players with the untapped ability and temperament to develope into competitive players in the future.

Tomic & Volcano are too disruptive / unpredictable , and are falling like baloons full of cement.

Actually a lot of people say there is something to his accusations, was not the right time to air them, pure bitterness at losing as when he attacked Rafter.

As for Kyrgios, I don't like him but he refused to comment when asked about the allegations at the press conference, he is not in Tomic's league, very surly and does not love tennis, that is not a crime, still makes reasonable money
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:00pm

LOL Ouch Clap

Note the painted toe nails .
We know who voted YES.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:13pm
Dont know what his endorsement deals are worth but several articles put his career tennis earnings over 9 years at $US5 million and endorsements around $13 million.

In his infamous ''I dont care' interview he claimed his net worth was $10 million.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

LOL Ouch Clap

Note the painted toe nails .
We know who voted YES.

Still hurting from that one I see macca
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Dont know what his endorsement deals are worth but several articles put his career tennis earnings over 9 years at $US5 million and endorsements around $13 million.

In his infamous ''I dont care' interview he claimed his net worth was $10 million.

The US$5.7m prizemoney is correct (although a significant chunk of that is taken up with the expenses of being on the tour, coaching etc)
$13m in endorsements would surprise but I guess it’s possible. He has been basically unmarketabke for the last 3 or 4 years and prior to that I doubt his ranking would have been high enough to have any appeal outside the Australian market.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:22pm

But whoever it was who picked the men's wildcards knew what they were doing.

Simon Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>