Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

MORE DRUG DEATHS - Event Date: 13 Jan 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Well if your saying alcohol is far worse than cannabis for violenc or antisocaial behaviour, you’ll get no argument from me there. About the only thing in danger around a cannabis user is a pizza.

This comes back to my point yesterday- consistency. Oneone do you think alcohol and gambling should be criminalised?
Will come back on tonight Judge
Refer ALP Election Promises
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:37am

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Discourage the arrempt at fun? Well, good luck with that.

Well as both one one and myself have attested laws and rules do work in discouraging dangerous activities.

Do you drive drunk, without your seat belt or fly up the road @ 200km/hr?
Rules work quite well at times

Poor analogy. You’re taking behaviour that’s completely reckless and obviously endangers other people. Hard to take you seriously when you resort to this.

They are examples of where rules have modified behaviour. The rules (laws) work
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:37am

Well as both one one and myself have attested laws and rules do work in discouraging dangerous activities.

Poor analogy. You’re taking behaviour that’s completely reckless and obviously endangers other people. Hard to take you seriously when you resort to this.

No judge. I see you being selective with your cherrypicking. Hard to take that seriously as well

You’d seriously equate someone smoking a joint on their couch to someone hurtling a tonne of metal at racetrack speeds around suburban streets blotto. It gets dumber still...
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Anyhow I'm off to work. You stay where you are Whale (beanbag + ipad) - ill be back on tonight

you are a food technician, do you work in a corn chip factory LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

And one issue that hasn’t been brought up- the amount of police and court time tied up in a futile battle (I’d actually say lost, but people refuse to admit it). There were over a million cannabis users in Australia last year. Do we really going after these people is a worthwhile allocation of resources?

No we don’t, the horse has bolted on the cannabis front. It’s here to stay and massive numbers of kids are using it, sadly

You’re point re the policing costs is good but what about the other costs of having it in society. The ongoing health costs, mental welfare and social costs

Just like alcohol and cigarettes there is a cost associated with the negative side as well.

still waiting for your flight to Coolangatta ? LOL

Not sure as to your motivation of that question. Perhaps you could explain

But the answer is no, thankfully I’m here now
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:41am
are you on holiday ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:42am

They are examples of where rules have modified behaviour. The rules (laws) work

And current rules on drugs clearly haven’t worked. The “war on drugs” has been comprehensively lost. It was never a fair fight, tbh. Fifty years later drugs are more freely available than ever. Time for a different approach.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

are you on holiday ?

Yes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:46am

[QUOTE=Shrunk in the Wash] [QUOTE=JudgeHolden]
And current rules on drugs clearly haven’t worked. The “war on drugs” has been comprehensively lost. It was never a fair fight, tbh. Fifty years later drugs are more freely available than ever. Time for a different approach.

The rules have been weak. They have often targeted the wrong people and more often than not even enforced.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:49am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:56am
You know I’m right, hence that response. Are you going to tell me the laws have targeted the right people.

I’m sure it was you who said that very thing earlier
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:07am

You know I’m right, hence that response. Are you going to tell me the laws have targeted the right people.

Do politicians use recreational drugs?

What about police, lawyers, judges?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:25am
Everyone does
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:27am

I’ve argued the laws have “targeted the right people”? You seem very confused, Shrunk.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:50am
Alcohol and drugs don’t cause domestic violence, idiots (male and female) who like being violent cause DV, and I’d say their stupidity makes them predisposed to substance abuse. It takes more than one to tango, and I’m not victim blaming BUT even one episode should see them leaving, how they hang around for more I’ll never know. I suppose people have different expectations for what is acceptable. In my view it is a mostly socio-economic issue, a little bit like religion and poverty together turn out zealots, so does a combination of poverty and poor upbringing often result in thugs.
to the victor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:59am
Great post linghi Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:32am
How can a post that is 100% incorrect be a great post ?
reductio ad absurdum
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

How can a post that is 100% incorrect be a great post ?

Do you think a “normal” person has too much to drink and goes beating up their family? Or strangers on the street?
to the victor
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:45am
Define normal ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:45am

I’ve argued the laws have “targeted the right people”? You seem very confused, Shrunk.

You has misread.
You said the laws targeted the wrong people. I agree
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:49am

Define normal ?

Not predisposed to unwarranted violence and without mental illness
to the victor
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Alcohol and drugs don’t cause domestic violence, idiots (male and female) who like being violent cause DV, and I’d say their stupidity makes them predisposed to substance abuse. It takes more than one to tango, and I’m not victim blaming BUT even one episode should see them leaving, how they hang around for more I’ll never know. I suppose people have different expectations for what is acceptable. In my view it is a mostly socio-economic issue, a little bit like religion and poverty together turn out zealots, so does a combination of poverty and poor upbringing often result in thugs.

Thumbs Up  Just being poor doesnt make a person violent tho.  Look at some of the high end of town husbands who bash their wives.   Even super rich movie stars do it.  But being poor and adding a substance ( alcohol or drugs ) is often a bad mix. Thumbs Down

animals before people.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Thumbs Up  Just being poor doesnt make a person violent tho.  Look at some of the high end of town husbands who bash their wives.   Even super rich movie stars do it.  But being poor and adding a substance ( alcohol or drugs ) is often a bad mix. Thumbs Down

Absolutely, no it doesn’t, but it often doesn’t help. Our society is having some serious issues around mental disorders and poor role models growing up, what is acceptable and what is not. Having a society of teetotallers will not fix these issues. Fast forward a few years when there are fewer jobs than ever for the unskilled sector, and I’m not sure how tight laws are going to help anyone.
to the victor
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:28am
Drug Induced Deaths in Australia: A changing story

Harmful drug use continues to be a serious public health issue in Australia with 1,808 drug induced deaths registered in 2016. This is the highest number of drug deaths in twenty years, and is similar to the number recorded in the late 1990s, when a steep increase in opioid use, specifically heroin, led to deaths peaking at 1,740 in 1999. Although the number of drug induced deaths is the highest on record, the death rate per capita of 7.5 per 100,000 people is lower than that in 1999 (9.2 deaths per 100,000 people).

Changes in drug deaths have been significant over this period. In 2016, an individual dying from a drug induced death in Australia was most likely to be a middle aged male, living outside of a capital city who is misusing prescription drugs such as benzodiazepines or oxycodone in a polypharmacy (the use of multiple drugs) setting. The death was most likely to be an accident. This profile is quite different from that in 1999, where a person who died from a drug induced death was most likely to be younger (early 30s) with morphine, heroin or benzodiazepines detected on toxicology at death.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:30am

Define normal ?

Not predisposed to unwarranted violence and without mental illness

And who comes under that description ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Drug Induced Deaths in Australia: A changing story

Harmful drug use continues to be a serious public health issue in Australia with 1,808 drug induced deaths registered in 2016. This is the highest number of drug deaths in twenty years, and is similar to the number recorded in the late 1990s, when a steep increase in opioid use, specifically heroin, led to deaths peaking at 1,740 in 1999. Although the number of drug induced deaths is the highest on record, the death rate per capita of 7.5 per 100,000 people is lower than that in 1999 (9.2 deaths per 100,000 people).

Changes in drug deaths have been significant over this period. In 2016, an individual dying from a drug induced death in Australia was most likely to be a middle aged male, living outside of a capital city who is misusing prescription drugs such as benzodiazepines or oxycodone in a polypharmacy (the use of multiple drugs) setting. The death was most likely to be an accident. This profile is quite different from that in 1999, where a person who died from a drug induced death was most likely to be younger (early 30s) with morphine, heroin or benzodiazepines detected on toxicology at death.

How many times has that made the front page of the Daily Murdoch?

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:32am
BOREDOM

Boredom is probably the worst thing you can inflict on a human being, And on occasion that to is self inflicted. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:34am
"Across the whole population, younger Australians (under 35 years of age) have lower rates of drug induced death when compared to 1999, while older Australians (45 and over) generally have higher rates."

Oh, no- take those facts away, Tiaz. They are hurting my brain

Simon Cameron

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

"Across the whole population, younger Australians (under 35 years of age)
have lower rates of drug induced death when compared to 1999, while
older Australians (45 and over) generally have higher rates."

Oh, no- take those facts away, Tiaz. They are hurting my brain

As I said earlier on, prescription medication leads the way in drug deaths. I personally know two people who died due to prescription painkiller medication and zero people who have died from illicit drugs.
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:56pm

BOREDOM

Boredom is probably the worst thing you can inflict on a human being, And on occasion that to is self inflicted. 

Which is why the mechanisation of the work force is going to be a massive issue long term.
But while we’re at it, what is the illicit drug death rate now compared to 20 years ago? Is it all a media beat up like King Cross violence? Are there more issues or simply more reporting?
to the victor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>