Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

FYI Donating to Charities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:16am
wonderful family JJ, and I bet they have not calculated the monetary worth of their time 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Its amazing here, how many people do volunteer work.  In such a small community.  There is always some one ready to step up and say they will do ,,,,,whatever.   Thats true charity.
One of the big things here is driving people for treatment.   They have to go over an hour to John Hunter  or the Marter, for chemo, or dialisis,,,,( cant spell it ),,,,most 3 times a week,,   Imagine the time and driving involved.   But always some one to do it,,,,
Thats charity without money.  The benefits are going straight to the person. 

My mother is 98 in two days time...she still delivers meals to 'old people' who cannot help themselves...

My sister, Pam, volunteers to drive chemo or sick people to hospital, also does MOW, and cares for my mother...

My brother-in-law is the world surf-life-saving president.  Despite his high office, he still does shifts at the beach if they're short. His wife, my sister, cares at hospitals, for people who have no-one visiting. 

All their children do volunteer work. 

I've always been involved in some form of voluntary work...my daughter cares for sick animals, is always at me to 'foster' homeless animals...I'd be a zoo-keeper if I said 'yes' to all her requests...

Has anyone ever read 'Magnificent Obsession'? It explains how strength of character, helping others, is its own reward...and leads on to more value in life than money will ever give...

simple human kindness, tolerance and an awareness that others may not be as fortunate, are the greatest attributes anyone can have...

that said...my comment on the Dead Pool site...about dodos...still stands...

Wink
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

So Trump's "charity", together with this suss mob's "charity" have similarly been disgraced and stripped of their status.  Who would've thought?

ps Shane Warne's "charity" also did nothing wrong in its operation, with a host of high end charity events.  Just had very little if anything left after expenses to actually provide to the advertised worthy causes.
pss I point blank refuse to donate to charity causes of any kind, after a friend who worked for quite some years in the industry quit after realising that about 33% of donations at very best found their way to the disadvantaged.

WARNING - GENIUS AT WORK!Wink

"I point blank refuse to donate to charity causes of any kind [because] ... about 33% of donations at very best found their way to the disadvantaged".  So OBVIOUSLY with SC donating NOTHING to the disadvantaged, they are much better off ... Wacko  I think we can all work out just whom the "disadvantaged" one is in this conversation!!! ... you are a crack up!LOLLOL  Say, just for the fun of it, what IS 33% of nothing?Embarrassed 

Well if you seek to put me down rather than at least respect my position, or alternatively invite me to participate in a big d1ck competition (as per your alleged $500,000 of free work to sporting clubs etc total w@nkfest Ermm) consider this admitted self-indulgence regarding my personal background:

"During my time in Canberra I was:

a foundation member of the Ginninderra Land and Planning Advisory Committee which advised the ACT Government on building development and land use applications in Canberra with a particular focus on amenity for residents including the underprivileged

a committee member of the Kaleen Community Association for seventeen years, serving as President for the final fifteen, during which time I oversaw the construction and operation of a large community facility providing not-for-profit activities and a venue for community activities

Chairman of a northern suburbs Occasional Care Centre – the only not-for-profit facility of that kind in the ACT at that time

a member of a CFA brigade for over ten years, serving on the executive for five years, and also served on the committee of a sports fishing club for close to eight years. 

I have framed Commendations or Certificates of Appreciation from Prime Minister John Howard, ACT Minister for Planning Simon Corbell, and Federal Member for Indi Sophie Mirabella among others for my work in various community service roles". 

And remembering your $500,000 worth of time nonsense, the above doesn't count the thirty odd years I spent on the executive of cricket and baseball clubs in Melbourne and Canberra.  The two life memberships I proudly possess provide more than enough satisfaction for that type of activity.  

So all things considered I believe I've done my bit over the last forty years, and have no reason to have misgivings about my position in respect of charity donations.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:00pm
No doubt giving time and effort to clubs that your children are involved with is appreciated and necessary. I and hundreds of thousands of others have done so but I never considered it to be a charitable effort as there was self interest and involvement. Trust a certain person to think of that angle and put a monetary value on it Ouch

Is certainly not charitable , JJ's and SC's examples are true selfless ,good works, not a self aggrandizing power kick Wink
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:02pm

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

So Trump's "charity", together with this suss mob's "charity" have similarly been disgraced and stripped of their status.  Who would've thought?

ps Shane Warne's "charity" also did nothing wrong in its operation, with a host of high end charity events.  Just had very little if anything left after expenses to actually provide to the advertised worthy causes.
pss I point blank refuse to donate to charity causes of any kind, after a friend who worked for quite some years in the industry quit after realising that about 33% of donations at very best found their way to the disadvantaged.

WARNING - GENIUS AT WORK!Wink

"I point blank refuse to donate to charity causes of any kind [because] ... about 33% of donations at very best found their way to the disadvantaged".  So OBVIOUSLY with SC donating NOTHING to the disadvantaged, they are much better off ... Wacko  I think we can all work out just whom the "disadvantaged" one is in this conversation!!! ... you are a crack up!LOLLOL  Say, just for the fun of it, what IS 33% of nothing?Embarrassed 

Well if you seek to put me down rather than at least respect my position, or alternatively invite me to participate in a big d1ck competition (as per your alleged $500,000 of free work to sporting clubs etc total w@nkfest Ermm) consider this admitted self-indulgence regarding my personal background:

"During my time in Canberra I was:

a foundation member of the Ginninderra Land and Planning Advisory Committee which advised the ACT Government on building development and land use applications in Canberra with a particular focus on amenity for residents including the underprivileged

a committee member of the Kaleen Community Association for seventeen years, serving as President for the final fifteen, during which time I oversaw the construction and operation of a large community facility providing not-for-profit activities and a venue for community activities

Chairman of a northern suburbs Occasional Care Centre – the only not-for-profit facility of that kind in the ACT at that time

a member of a CFA brigade for over ten years, serving on the executive for five years, and also served on the committee of a sports fishing club for close to eight years. 

I have framed Commendations or Certificates of Appreciation from Prime Minister John Howard, ACT Minister for Planning Simon Corbell, and Federal Member for Indi Sophie Mirabella among others for my work in various community service roles". 

And remembering your $500,000 worth of time nonsense, the above doesn't count the thirty odd years I spent on the executive of cricket and baseball clubs in Melbourne and Canberra.  The two life memberships I proudly possess provide more than enough satisfaction for that type of activity.  

So all things considered I believe I've done my bit over the last forty years, and have no reason to have misgivings about my position in respect of charity donations.

That seems at least $1.5 million worth, I am guessing your pay rate SC. Maybe we could get Doc to calculate it LOL
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm
Do you need Doc's calculator Whale?
Image result for eleventy calculator
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:18pm
Gee there's a lot of piddling in each others pockets going on here. Imagine how much more you could do if you weren't sitting on here 24/7 telling each other how good you all are Ouch 
Refer ALP Election Promises
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:21pm
I do my bit for the poor .

I've stopped mugging them.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:27pm
Seriously now - charity starts at home. I consider TBV home. I need a hand . Well not a hand as much a some cash. Struggling to put food on the table - only just scraping enough to have a crack at the fav in the next. Please give generously. I can PM my P.O box details. Maybe Big Al can cut me into his profits.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Gee there's a lot of piddling in each others pockets going on here. Imagine how much more you could do if you weren't sitting on here 24/7 telling each other how good you all are Ouch 

Mainly Doc, and he puts a monetary value on it too, cos nothing is worthwhile unless he can monetize it Confused

Between the endless hours he spends on TBV, till 4am last night, and running a successful "business ", it is amazing he has time to scratch himself Smile
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:29pm

Seriously now - charity starts at home. I consider TBV home. I need a hand . Well not a hand as much a some cash. Struggling to put food on the table - only just scraping enough to have a crack at the fav in the next. Please give generously. I can PM my P.O box details. Maybe Big Al can cut me into his profits.

join Doc's circle work group
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:32pm
What is the collective term for circlers Whale?

I imagine a grip of circle jerkers. 

Have to wait till Doc gets here to get the official term though, or at least as used in his club.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Have to wait till Doc gets here to get the official term though, or at least as used in his club.

do you think Doc gives his time for fund raising and committee work for that club LOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:34pm

Your Magic is unequaled oneone ....     I think you made those profits disappear.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:36pm
oneone:-    Can you do the same with Whale.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

do you think Doc gives his time for fund raising and committee work for that club LOL

That was what I thought he was talking about. Probably has life membership after all that charitable work for them. Eleventy Bazillion Dollars.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I did for six months recently Macca
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:49pm

Not long enough ..He thinks he's General MacArthur now . ( I did return )

PT still has a hand full and it's not in his pockets.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm
Hey, forgot to mention the countless times I co-work the sausage sizzle outside Bunnings etc.

Hang on scrub that: not entirely gratis.  Just remembered I always enjoy a freebie sanger with snag, mustard and onions at the end of my shift.  Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:59pm
Any onion incidents SC?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:03pm

Yes - I think PT has a lot to answer for - & Whale a lot to be thankful for
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:08pm

Yes - I think PT has a lot to answer for - & Whale a lot to be thankful for

I am thankful for a lot , nothing is guaranteed in life. I am thankful for my good health, comfortable finances although the current share and property markets are a worry, thankful for my lovely family but most of all thankful that I don't know oneone, Macca and Dr E in real life LOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:15pm
That's disgusting Whale.       3 upstanding and fair Australians, who have allowed you to leave the Melbourne gang life and stay in our Country, Escape the torment of your past and improve your grasp of the English language.

You will not be treated so well when oneone releases his much awaited Statistical Analysis.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:19pm
Statistics to ''conservatives'' is like garlic to a vampire.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:19pm
I've often wondered if maybe we all struggle a bit with the "real life" as Whale puts it. Might explain why we all spend so much time on here talking codswallop to people we will  never "really" know ! Now that's a thread killer if I've ever seen one !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:24pm

That's disgusting Whale.       3 upstanding and fair Australians, who have allowed you to leave the Melbourne gang life and stay in our Country, Escape the torment of your past and improve your grasp of the English language.

You will not be treated so well when oneone releases his much awaited Statistical Analysis.
Actually Macca I'm glad you raised that. My initial analyses have made a few of the less desirable types look a touch too good. Just in the process of "massaging" to make it right. Took me a while to get the green light from the Statistics Committee. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:35pm

Actually Macca I'm glad you raised that. My initial analyses have made a few of the less desirable types look a touch too good. Just in the process of "massaging" to make it right. Took me a while to get the green light from the Statistics Committee. 

Be nice to everyone oneone .        > Allow for the good , even to the blind , who support left wingers and deluded climate change unfortunates .

AND then there is Whale, who must have some decency in there somewhere.
As they even named a Racehorse after him. ( they couldn't spell either.)

BTW ,    What happened to GRUNT ?
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:54pm

Thanks for the councilling, counselling/counseling , English language lessons from Macca LOL

Statistical analysis , it is so hard to start 10 new threads a day here if you want, and so vital to life 

At least oneone puts his food technician training to good use, I assume he keeps accurate statistics Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

wonderful family JJ, and I bet they have not calculated the monetary worth of their time 

couldn't care less...

Hug
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:09pm
"I imagine a grip of circle jerkers."

"Probably has life membership after all that charitable work for them. Eleventy Bazillion Dollar"

"Any onion incidents SC?"

"Might explain why we all spend so much time on here talking codswallop to people we will  never "really" know !"

"thankful that I don't know oneone, Macca and Dr E in real life"

I can't stop laughing...there are some classics in that lot...especially the last one...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>