Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Indian Cricket Is Underperforming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indian Cricket Is Underperforming
    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:40pm
We need to get a bit fair dinkum. Indians really are pretty ordinary cricketers. A few facts. There are 1.4 billion Indians (20% of the worlds population). Now we all know they are cricket crazy - & every boy would have had a crack at playing it. And it s not really high tech is it - a stick & a ball suffices. Now in comparison we only 25 million people. So by my rough calculation they have 56 times our population. To make it worse, a lot of our young fellows here never even play cricket these days (cant blame them either - boring as bat poo). I mean put it this way - if the Australian population was 56 times that of India would they be competitive ? I don't think so ! Stand tall Australian Cricket
Refer ALP Election Promises
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:45pm
That looks to be the Australian Rugby view of the world, oneone.

We are losing, we have no short term fixers, so lets find that silver lining.

If India are underperforming, then how are we performing?
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:15pm
Fair comment on the Rugby Voyager. They have been a bunch of underperforming prima donnas ever since that Eddie Jones coached them ( I said Eddie PT - not Allan).
Just saying the Indians are not renowned for their athletic prowess in any sport that I can think of. Just as well I suppose - they would be winning everything ! 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:24pm
Of that 1.4 billion probably a billion are struggling to feed themselves.
reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Fair comment on the Rugby Voyager. They have been a bunch of underperforming prima donnas ever since that Eddie Jones coached them ( I said Eddie PT - not Allan).
Just saying the Indians are not renowned for their athletic prowess in any sport that I can think of. Just as well I suppose - they would be winning everything ! 

Was it Alan who introduced ice baths when he was coaching Balmain?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Of that 1.4 billion probably a billion are struggling to feed themselves.
Ace it up djebel. The little buggers spend all day every day playing cricket - nothing else to do
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:31pm
Lets just all agree they really are starved of sporting talent. Actually I am being a touch unfair. There are now a number of Indian golfers showing up on the European Tour - with a few trying to crack the PGA tour as well.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:34pm
Let's invent a sport that nobody else plays or will want to play then we can be world champions for once.Thumbs Up
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
Call itAFL?
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:39pm
I recall someone few Olympics ago trumpeting the fact that on a per capital basis we nearly topped the medal tally. When it was pointed out than on a per GDP basis we finished about 57th, they piped down.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:43pm
“capital”... these spellchecks are really giving me the shirts lately.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Let's invent a sport that nobody else plays or will want to play then we can be world champions for once.Thumbs Up
You mean cricket ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:47pm

You mean cricket ?
How many kids actually play cricket these days ? I mean spending all weekend standing in the heat isn't all that appealing is it ? Seriously !
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:51pm
There is one international sport where we going good- ten pin bowling. Now if we can conquer darts and snooker that'll do me.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:56pm
Simon “The Wizard” Whitlock is still in the top 10, I believe.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm
And on further inspection Neil Robertson is doing us proud in snooker. I must say, I had no IDEA just how underrated his cue power was:

“Robertson is considered Australia's best ever snooker player, as well as one of the best players from outside the United Kingdom in the sport's history.[2] He plays left-handed.[3]

Robertson is also known for his straight cueing and long pots which are a result of his text-book technique. Many people have described Robertson's technique as one of the best and straightest that has ever been as he can play every shot while remaining perfectly still. Neil's cue power is also a strong and less known part of his game.”
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 11:31pm

You mean cricket ?

How many kids actually play cricket these days ? I mean spending all weekend standing in the heat isn't all that appealing is it ? Seriously !

The little country town I grew up in (pop approx 2000) we used to play junior cricket, under 10, 11, 13 and 16, our town and the 3 near by towns played matches at these age groups with players missing out, soccer and rugby league both had similar numbers, now all 3 sports are struggling to survive.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:23pm
PT the way that players the US, Canada and Ireland as well as Sudan have taken to AFL, it is just as well it is only played in Australia, or we eould have to call it, World Rules.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:55pm
Are they expat Victorians that play in the US Voyager?

Where would they draw from if they made an effort to grow the game there? College basketball rejects?

Remember when Jack Gibson was at Easts and Newtown he put an effort into recruiting American footballers for Rugby League here. He brought a few fast athletic types to play in the backs. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:23pm
Credit where credits due. This thread has achieved its purpose. Congratulations India cricketers
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:27pm
I wouldn't say they where 56 times better than Australia. Only 30 to 40 times better
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 1:52pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:56pm
Have they fulfilled their destiny ?
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Have they fulfilled their destiny ?

Was a good win against England. Good fightback
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
 Post Reply Post Reply