Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

RIP John Marshall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP John Marshall
    Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:37am
Terribly sad reports coming through that classy jockey John Marshall passed away overnight due to cancer.

Will never ever forget his association with the majestic Beau Zam.

Edited by Gay3 - 24 Dec 2018 at 1:49pm
reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:37am
RIP young fella, I call him young as that's how I'll always remember him, he rode for me when he came to Flemington in 1989, that's when I first met him, natures true Gentleman, one of the loveliest men in the world, God Bless his cotton socks, love ya mate, travel well.......xxxxxx
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:43am
Such a terribly sad shock.

He was associated with a golden period with Bart, Beau Zam, Sky Chase, Campaign King.

Was his battle known within the industry ?

RIP.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 11:34am
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 11:37am
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:19pm
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:28pm
RIP J>M>

How time flies.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:30pm
Terrible and unexpected news, truly lovely guy. Pancreatic is a real a*hole of a cancer. RIP and condolences to Taylor and the family
to the victor
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:36pm
My thoughts are with Taylor Marshall and the Marshall family during this time. Born in WA, he a great rider who was stable rider for Bart Cummings in the 1980s and rode Bart's champion horse Beau Zam. In 1999 it really was a WA flavour when Johhny rode WA horse Rogan Josh to win the Melbourne Cup and give Bart an 11th Cup. R.I.P Johhny.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:37pm
My thoughts are with Taylor Marshall and the Marshall family during this time. Born in WA, he was a great rider who was stable rider for Bart Cummings in the 1980s and rode Bart's champion horse Beau Zam. In 1999 it really was a WA flavour when Johhny rode WA horse Rogan Josh to win the Melbourne Cup and give Bart an 11th Cup. R.I.P Johhny.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 3:50pm
I find it totally ironic that he won the cup for Bart on Rogan Josh, when a decade before he was basically banned from riding any of Barts in Melbourne.

I am not sure which ride made Bart make that decision, it was either Beau Zam in the Caulfield Cup, Sir Midas in the Derby or Sky Chase in the Mackinnon.

Very good rider who was at the top of the tree in Sydney during a period, where the competition was outstanding.

Quinton, Cook, Johnston, Beadman, Dittman, Cassidy (both Jim and Larry), Cooksley, Boss, Brian York, Kevin Moses, Craig Carmody, and of course RS Dye.

Best Wishes and condolences to all the Marshall family.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 4:29pm
Thats sad.  He was such a nice bloke.  Thoughts go out to his family.
R I P .
animals before people.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I find it totally ironic that he won the cup for Bart on Rogan Josh, when a decade before he was basically banned from riding any of Barts in Melbourne.

I am not sure which ride made Bart make that decision, it was either Beau Zam in the Caulfield Cup, Sir Midas in the Derby or Sky Chase in the Mackinnon.

Very good rider who was at the top of the tree in Sydney during a period, where the competition was outstanding.

Quinton, Cook, Johnston, Beadman, Dittman, Cassidy (both Jim and Larry), Cooksley, Boss, Brian York, Kevin Moses, Craig Carmody, and of course RS Dye.

Best Wishes and condolences to all the Marshall family.

Marshall rode Allez Suez in the 1999 Epsom and us Bart wanted a jockey to suit Rogan Josh. Bart said Rogan Josh had the makings of a quiet achiever and Marshall suited the horse as he was a quiet achiever as well. They were the perfect match. Marshall was due to ride another one kf Bart's - Ruy Lopez bu he got injured and Rogan Josh came along and the res is history.

Marshall didnt even have a Cup ride up until a week out from the Cup..but that soon chamged.

He won 41 Group 1s in his career.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 1:15am
Ok so I did some research to find out how many Group 1s Johnny won. See list below. However...I'm still missing four more Group 1 wins. I remember reading an article from about 3 or 4 years ago which said he won 41 Group 1s. My list below says 37 Group 1s. If anyone at all could be of assistance then please let me know. Also...on the racing.xom website...the article said he had success in Hong Kong and Japan....maybe he won the four Group 1s there. The only stakes win I am aware of is the Hong Kong Cup win in 1993 (Motivation) but the race at that time was still a Group 2 - not a Group 1. Once again any help is appreciated...I can't be that far off from this small project..

Coolmore Classic: Cordon Rose

AJC Oaks: Sheraco

Coolmore Classic: Sheraco

Vinery Stud Stakes: Sheraco

Epsom Handicap: Cool River

AJC Derby: Prolific

Sydney Cup: Trissaro

Randwick Guineas: Spirit Of Kingston

Rosehill Guineas: Spirit Of Kingston

Doomben 10,000: Between Ourselves

Toorak Handicap: Canny Lass

Champagne Stakes: Sky Chase

Spring Champion Stakes: Beau Zam

Rosehill Guineas: Ring Joe

The Galaxy: Princely Heart

Doomben 10,000: Broad Reach

George Main Stakes: Campaign King

Rosehill Guineas: Sky Chase

Caulfied Stakes: Sky Chase

Ranvet Stakes: Beau Zam

Tancred Stakes: Beau Zam

AJC Derby: Beau Zam

Queen Elizabeth Stakes: Beau Zam

Doomben 10,000: Campaign King

Stradbroke Handicap: Campaign King

Ranvet Stakes: Beau Zam

AJC Sires Produce Stakes: Reganza

QLD Sires Produce Stakes: Zamoff

Stradbroke Handicap: Robian Steel

Rosehill Guineas: Solar Circle

George Main Stakes: Shaftesbury Avenue

All Aged Stakes: Shaftesbury Avenue

Coolmore Classic: Chlorophyll

Ranvet Stakes: Arkady

AJC Derby: On Air

Epsom Handicap: Allez Suez

Mackinnon Stakes: Rogan Josh

Melbourne Cup: Rogan Josh
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 1:18am
Sorry i meant 38...so i am three Group 1s off..
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 9:59am
Anyome able to assist (see above), Totonan...are you able to help?
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 3:29pm
John had an extremely interesting life filled with fame and fortune.

His mother(and family/friends) arrived from BURMA around 1948.....POST WAR times saw many movements.

She was Marjorie Matilda D'Mello and had two brothers that became  jockeys in PERTH. At some stage John was raised by his uncle PHIL (a jock)

When John moved to NSW,he apprenticed himself to PAT MURRAY at Randwick.

John's mother died in 1982,aged 54, well before fame reached John.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 3:37pm
You will see a picture likeness of John to his mother.

TROVE search....THE DAILY NEWS (perth)

27/8/1948 page 8

and a good article to read is in THE SMH Jan 21 1988 p17 of 21
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:21pm
John's father was Jack Marshall...a jockey who i think was killed in a racefall.
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:36pm
Great man
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 5:47pm
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 9:56pm
Writing in that newspaper article is too small but thanks for sharing?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 12:08am
  Jamal

scroll down and just left click

"Late but light in the saddle"

and it will come up BIG 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:35pm
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:26pm
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:27pm
Funeral service at Randwick on 7th of January
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:43am
So after further research his G1 tally finished at 36.He would of rode mode G1 winners had henot lived in Hong Kong and ridden there. He did win the Chairmans Sprint Prize and Hon Kong Cup but those races were not Group 1s at the time of him winning them

****John Marshall****

Career Winners: 2,000

Career Group 1 Wins: 36

Sydney Jockeys Premierships:

* 1 - 1987/1988 season (86 wins):

Other Information: finished 2nd in the Sydney Jockey Premiership three times (1982/83, 1986/87 and 1989/90)

Group 1 Wins:

AJC Oaks (2400m): Sheraco

Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m): Sheraco

Epsom Handicap (1600m): Cool River

AJC Derby (2400m): Prolific

Sydney Cup (3200m): Trissaro

Randwick Guineas (1600m): Spirit Of Kingston

Rosehill Guineas (2000m): Spirit Of Kingston

Doomben 10,000 (1350m): Between Ourselves

Toorak Handicap (1600m): Canny Lass

Champagne Stakes (1600m): Sky Chase

Spring Champion Stakes (2000m): Beau Zam

Rosehill Guineas (2000m): Ring Joe

The Galaxy (1100m) Princely Heart

Doomben 10,000 (1350m): Broad Reach

George Main Stakes (1600m) : Campaign King

Rosehill Guineas (2000m): Sky Chase

Caulfied Stakes (2000m): Sky Chase

Ranvet Stakes (2000m): Beau Zam

Tancred Stakes (2400m): Beau Zam

AJC Derby (2400m): Beau Zam

Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m): Beau Zam

Doomben 10,000 (1350m): Campaign King

Stradbroke Handicap (1400m): Campaign King

Ranvet Stakes (2000m): Beau Zam

AJC Sires Produce Stakes (1400m): Reganza

QLD Sires Produce Stakes (1400m): Zamoff

Stradbroke Handicap (1400m): Robian Steel

Rosehill Guineas (2000m): Solar Circle

George Main Stakes (1600m): Shaftesbury Avenue

All Aged Stakes (1600m): Shaftesbury Avenue

Coolmore Classic (1500m): Chlorophyll

Ranvet Stakes (2000m): Arkady

AJC Oaks (2000m): On Air

Epsom Handicap (1600m): Allez Suez

Mackinnon Stakes (2000m): Rogan Josh

Melbourne Cup (3200m): Rogan Josh
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 1:06pm
A jockey, man or women should not be defined by the races they won ! ie Melb cup?? But how they handled themselves in and out the work place and in the public eye!! John Masrhall was exceptional at all aspects. Yes he could ride!! But as a person and mentor he was one of the best
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

A jockey, man or women should not be defined by the races they won ! ie Melb cup?? But how they handled themselves in and out the work place and in the public eye!! John Masrhall was exceptional at all aspects. Yes he could ride!! But as a person and mentor he was one of the best
Absolutely, only rode a few for me, his politeness knew no bounds, talked to owners like they were Royalty, an old fashioned well mannered Gentleman........I didn't live far from either, down Cronulla way, he was just a breath of fresh air, God has a lot to answer for, we could have had John for another few decades, maybe he needed him more?
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:12am
It was fitting that his last Group 1 was the Melbourne Cup
 Post Reply Post Reply