Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Aus vs India Test Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aus vs India Test Series
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:03pm

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Dec 2018 at 7:15pm
reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 11:25pm
Saw some of the game at the SCG the other day - could have been a game anywhere on the subcontinent - never heard a crowd cheer louder for Virat, anywhere!

It reminded me of the ALP front bench, cheering for Malcolm when he ratified the Paris Agreement!

Hope the food vendors, got the message - forget the pies, stock up on the dodgy Vindaloos!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:40am
Justin Langer is pissing me off.

The only positive I get from him is that all the players look incredibly fit.

reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:42am

Form guide

(last five completed matches)
Australia LDLLL
India WWLLW

In the spotlight

Out of Australia's big three, Pat Cummins emerged as the most consistent of the quicks earlier this year - testament to his years of hard work to overcome the injuries that hampered the early parts of his career. He took a largely forgotten career-best nine-wicket match haul in Johannesburg when the focus was on anything but the cricket, and did not feature in the UAE. As with his fellow pacemen, he has been very carefully handled heading into this Test series, so hopefully he is ready to push up the speed gun. Do not ignore his improving lower-order batting, either.

How about someone other than Virat Kohli? India's pace attack is the best they have pulled together, but they either don't have great numbers or haven't played much in Australia. Jasprit Bumrah falls into the latter category but shapes as a key part of India's armoury. He made an instant difference to the attack when he came in during the England series, causing particular problems to the left handers, of which Australia have a few. However, many a talented fast bowler has come to Australia and taken too long to adjust to the conditions, especially the lengths required.

Team news

Mitchell Marsh has been dropped in favour of frontline batsman Peter Handscomb, while Marcus Harris is confirmed for a debut opening the batting. That will be alongside Aaron Finch, with Usman Khawaja taking the No. 3 spot

Australia 1 Aaron Finch, 2 Marcus Harris, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Shaun Marsh, 5 Peter Handscomb, 6 Travis Head, 7 Tim Paine (capt & wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Pat Cummins, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Josh Hazlewood

India have ditched their five-bowler policy and named only four frontline bowlers in their XII - the pace trio of Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma and Jasprit Bumrah to be complemented by R Ashwin's off-spin. The only point that is uncertain is who will bat at No.6, with both Rohit Sharma and Hanuma Vihari named in the XII.

India 1 KL Rahul, 2 M Vijay, 3 Cheteshwar Pujara, 4 Virat Kohli (capt), 5 Ajinkya Rahane, 6 Rohit Sharma/Hanuma Vihari, 7 Rishabh Pant (wk), 8 R Ashwin, 9 Mohammed Shami, 10 Ishant Sharma, 11 Jasprit Bumrah

Pitch and conditions

Adelaide's previous three Tests have been day-nighters, but India didn't fancy one of those on this tour so it's the ground's first traditional Test match since 2014 when these two sides last met. The surface looked dry the day before the match and there is hot weather predicted for the first day, then warm, sunny conditions throughout so spin could be a factor.

Stats and Trivia

• Kohli averages 98.50 at Adelaide Oval with three centuries

• Australia will have just one player - Nathan Lyon - who appeared in the 2014-15 Test following the omission of Mitchell Marsh. India could have seven.

• India have won just five of their 44 Tests in Australia - they won in Adelaide in 2003-04 on the back of Rahul Dravid's tour de force and Ajit Agarkar's six wickets.

Quotes

Tim Paine: "The (Adelaide Oval) wicket over the last few years here has given enough throughout the game. We've got a lot of confidence in Nathan Lyon bowling the overs we need and all three of our quicks are going in very fresh."

Virat Kohli: "We're not taking anything for granted. We just want to focus on our skills and what we need to do. We're looking to correct things that haven't gone right in the past."

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:43am
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:46am
First test starts today.

Mitch Marsh drooped for Peter Handscombe to strengthen the batting, good move for mine as Mitch Marsh isn't a consistent enough batsman for this level for mine.

India are tossing up between Sharma and Vihari at 6, otherwise the 11 is set, unfortunately the highly regarded 19yo Prithvi Shaw was injured in the training run with the CA eleven.

India are seen as favourites by some, false favs for mine as with their small amount of preparation however despite our batting being brittle I doubt the Indians (Kohli the exception) will be able to get enough runs to put consistent scoreboard pressure on our batsmen.

Australia to win the series 2-1.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:20am
putting on my sc hat

why have you started another thread on this subject?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:39am
I didn't realise we had one already.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:23am
Is that really necessary Isaac?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:26am
I ask myself the same question pt when i see other posters pointing out multiple threads for the same subject.

we can all learn a lesson, i reckonLOL

but i have done it politely.....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
I will have to check your fabulous new thread on debate tactics before I agree it was done politely.

BTW, you wont get any points from oneone putting that thread in Joffs instead of General. 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Well if Doc had started this thread I suspect he'd be praising him on his vision to start another thread on the topic
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:55am
Usman Khawaja flying through the air.

Australia's next captain.🕺
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Well if Doc had started this thread I suspect he'd be praising him on his vision to start another thread on the topic

isnt it a warm fuzzy  feeling , to have backupLOL
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
Is Sharma the Indian Shane Watson?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:16pm
Pujara is a rare breed in todays white ball dominated game, he and Khawaja are the only members of either top 7 that I would back to make this type of hundred, India are below par but the test would be gone completely without him.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:18pm
Australia is letting this slip away.

reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:26pm
Are you Ricky Ponting djebel? He just said the same on channel 7   

I reckon Langer will be pissed off if they allow India to get to 300.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:29pm
DUMB DUMB run out. 
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Australia is letting this slip away.  

They've really stuck to their guns imo, as did Pujara.  Adelaide oval is unforgiving under 100 degree daylight time temperatures, particularly as the day progresses into late afternoon.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:14pm
Afros, please check 1st before starting threads, especially topical ones such as this, it takes time to merge them.
Many members only have time to visit now & then so it's nice to have all the info in one place.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:16am
India lasted one ball this morning All out 250

Aaron Finch gone for a duck third ball. Australia 1/0
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:32am
Finch is a wood duck. Not sure why he’s being used as a sub till Warner gets back.
He will never be a test opener and has no longer term pros
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:39am
He did well in Dubai.

I never condemn batsmen ( or try not to ) who get out early.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 12:37pm
Well, he’s certainly missed a big opportunity here
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:27pm
It appears that working the ball around for singles and rotating the strike is a lost art
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:17pm
Mel MaLaughlan is an absolute stunner but I can not help wondering if she is comfortable with what she is wearing.

Her hand placement sitting on the couch is off putting.
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 6:41pm
Suspect the Indians only need another 70 or so before declaring and bowling us out.

However am fairly sure they'll get about 170 more before doing likewise.  Embarrassed

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:20pm
If we are chasing less than 300 we win.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:56am
Welll since everything else is  "multi-sex "  or  "gender neutral " and all that garbage they go on with about gender ,  why dont they put a couple of the female cricketers on the Aust team to show the blokes how its done ??Thumbs Up
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>