Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Inglis Classic 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Breeder Breeder wrote:

Glencoe
 I do not rate myself as a judge of type --so what do you think of Lot 259. Bought by Bjorn Baker for $40K.
Quite a good pedigree, so seems quite cheap.

This is one of the yearlings I had out.

Near side knee was the size of a basketball and appeared to have arthroscopy scars that were fresh enough to think surgery wasn't too long before her prep.  I asked the handler what was wrong with the knee and her reply was "what do you mean, the knee is fine"

Strong chance another yearling from this dam that won't make the track.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:37pm
Shrunk what is the lot no. you want an opinion on?
I try as much as possible to look at the horse before I view the pedigree page
My top pick was lot 63
re lot 64  I would need to have a very close look at hocks & rear end movement .Though He was purchased by a very good judge
 re lot 259  too light of bone below knees
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

507, champThumbs Up
Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:32am
Thanks Second Chance, rem286 and Glencoe. We are always learning in this game. Probably effectively a buyback, with Bjorn doing someone a favour.

For what it is worth here is Paul Moroney's thinking (or hunch, as he puts it) on this year's yearlings

Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:56am
Just out of interest I looked up the dam of of Lot 259 in the Stud Book. The first 2 foals were by Hinchinbrook so you are probably right, Second Chance, to question it --you would have thought at least one of those would have been up and going by now.
 It said she was exported to NZ in June last year. The NZ stud book said she was in foal to Dissident but the interesting point was the owner was listed as P Tighe ( part owner of Winx ??) 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:51am

My top pick was lot 63
re lot 64  I would need to have a very close look at hocks & rear end movement .Though He was purchased by a very good judge
 re lot 259  too light of bone below knees

Glencoe, Shrunk was interested in Lot 507.

Lot 64 appears very popular on TBV.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:45am
That's the family of the some very good ones in the WA including the lates superstar Arcadia Queen.  Probably could of flown if by Pierro. 

I'm in the boat of knowing nothing about legs no wonder some I pick to follow never make the track.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:46am
Are there lots of smaller types on the ground.  Is this caused by the drought?
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:53pm
re 507I would write OK in my book. Then probably write lacks strength as he is bred to sprint. May improve with time
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:57pm
A good horse to analyse is 609.    On first look is very visually impressive.   Good colour , strong body, current pedigree & supposedly sexy sire
But then look again. Does he have balance?  Are his legs sound?
I would pass
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
Lot 70.
Likes or dislikes ?  And why ?
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lot 70.
Likes or dislikes ?  And why ?

I may be harsh but there’s a distinct lack of winners on the page.

Looks a little very nice type and hence the high reserve I assume
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:08pm
It was P/I as a weaner for $115K.... my page comments were OK    /     chance..... therefore it would get out of the box for a start;   many wouldn't

One that really appeals to me on pic.is lot 533 and yet I am not big on the stallion . Do like the filly though
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lot 70.  Likes or dislikes ?  And why ?

It's the dam's 10th foal which puts many off, especially if a colt.  Her first foal was a Listed stakes-winner however her eight foals thereafter have all been poor or unraced.

Short coupled, but a question about the pasterns?

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:29pm

Thanks Second Chance, rem286 and Glencoe. We are always learning in this game. Probably effectively a buyback, with Bjorn doing someone a favour.

For what it is worth here is Paul Moroney's thinking (or hunch, as he puts it) on this year's yearlings

Have to mention we have had a great season in Tassie up until Jan when most will be in on feed anyhow. hoping the Needs Further's will sell well with the likes of Mystic Journey and others. I really like lot 99.
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:08pm
Opinions on Lot 475 please.
The fact that she was a $27K weanling is immaterial but to bring $350K is damn well unbelievable
I would question 3 aspects at a minimum:       1)  back at knee?
                                                                    2) lightness of bone for bodyweight
                                                                    3) rear hocks
and put her back in her box & politely say thankyou. What do others think?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:27pm
And and average running page as well.
Very odd
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
Who are Orbis B/S ??  
animals before people.
Fastnetrock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastnetrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:15pm
As for photos 417 clear standout for me.
Fastnetrock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastnetrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:17pm
Lot 70 Don't like off hind hock/leg.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:03pm

Just out of interest I looked up the dam of of Lot 259 in the Stud Book. The first 2 foals were by Hinchinbrook so you are probably right, Second Chance, to question it --you would have thought at least one of those would have been up and going by now.
 It said she was exported to NZ in June last year. The NZ stud book said she was in foal to Dissident but the interesting point was the owner was listed as P Tighe ( part owner of Winx ??) 
A lot of Aussies agist in NZ, far cheaper, and there is good feed! Also may be aiming the foal for the Karaka sales.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:59pm
For Day 4 I've found two likely types in the first 120 lots     585   &       674
I'd also get 622 & 670 out of their boxes.
I'll look at lot 700 onwards tomorrow.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:45am

The fact that she was a $27K weanling is immaterial but to bring $350K is damn well unbelievable
I would question 3 aspects at a minimum:       1)  back at knee? ALMOST CERTAINLY
                                                                    2) lightness of bone for bodyweight VERY POSSIBLY
                                                                    3) rear hocks NOT QUITE SURE
and put her back in her box & politely say thank you. What do others think?

This is the form of her full sister!!

Career:  4-0-0-0    Prizemoney: $975 
Last Three Runs
PosDateTrackDistClassJockeyBrWgtPriceFirst/Second
6 of 810/02/2019WOD Good13003YF MDN-SWJ Baldock557$1511 Squeezable 1-19.46
12 of 1322/01/2019WAGG Good1000MDNK Nisbet1254.5$811 Mutadaawel 0-58.61
12 of 129/12/2018NOWR Good1100F&M MDNC Lever356$611 Sestina 1-03.41

Inflated sale price even were she perfect imho.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

A lot of Aussies agist in NZ, far cheaper, and there is good feed! Also may be aiming the foal for the Karaka sales.

Do you mean the foals born there? Surely people don’t fly foals from here to there
Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

Do you mean the foals born there? Surely people don’t fly foals from here to there

No, I think we are talking about in foal mares and Einstein says they foal down and sell the foal/yearling at Karaka. Also there are a number of stallions in NZ who are owned by Australian interests or Australians have shares in them. (eg Complacent , Contributor , Sweynesse are owned by Coolmore , I think. Preferment has Australian shareholders , if not totally owned by Australians). So these owners/shareholders will send mares over for the stallions.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:55am

I would question 3 aspects at a minimum:       1)  back at knee?
                                                                    2) lightness of bone for bodyweight
                                                                    3) rear hocks
and put her back in her box & politely say thankyou. What do others think?

Out of an 8 time winning grand-daughter of a Champion. Starcraft over danehill lines work well. Not sure I could get to that price though
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
look at it's pic profile and video in sale ring. Appears to be badly sickle hocked
Kym Waugh says she looked at the horse 4 or 5 times. Needs to go to specsavers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:03pm

For Day 4 I've found two likely types in the first 120 lots     585   &       674
I'd also get 622 & 670 out of their boxes. I'll look at lot 700 onwards tomorrow. 

Well Glencoe's lots of possible interest have certainly had their ups and downs:

Lot 585: $125,000
Lot 622: passed in $20,000
Lot 670: $190,000
Lot 674: $20,000
Lot 700: $80,000

Look forward to his recapitulation.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
Top 2 lots so far by Brazen Beau.
609 & 666
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:28pm
Deep Field and his brother Shooting To Win both appear to be on the nose at the Classic.

Have to say I'm quite surprised.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>