Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Inglis Classic 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inglis Classic 2019
    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:27am
Catalogues are available for next year's Classic sale at https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale

There appeared to be a seismic shift in the nature of this sale in 2018, which coincided with it being the first sale in the new Riverside complex. Average for Book 1 was $93K, up from $71K the prior year. As a result they have extended to 1,000 lots by adding a "Highway Session" on 14th February.

It's an important sale for me as it is the first time I've offered a yearling at a Major Sale - a bit of a bucket list moment. I am very much hoping the Highway Session holds up and is like the old Summer Sale where trainers bought more on type than page. It's going to be a nervous few months.

https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/870
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
You have a good vendor and are in the first half of your session so if your colt has the right type he should attract a fair price.

Of the 200 extra lots, between the big vendors of the last few years, they have an extra 250 odd lots between.  So whilst it is a bigger sale, it would appear that it was for the benefit of those boys.  Bit of a drought reduction it would appear.  
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Catalogues are available for next year's Classic sale at https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale

There appeared to be a seismic shift in the nature of this sale in 2018, which coincided with it being the first sale in the new Riverside complex. Average for Book 1 was $93K, up from $71K the prior year. As a result they have extended to 1,000 lots by adding a "Highway Session" on 14th February.

It's an important sale for me as it is the first time I've offered a yearling at a Major Sale - a bit of a bucket list moment. I am very much hoping the Highway Session holds up and is like the old Summer Sale where trainers bought more on type than page. It's going to be a nervous few months.

https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/870

Good luck! He has a nice geldings page, except for his dam, the rest of the family is a runners page.  Make sure the vendor puts a photo up at least 2 - 3 weeks before the sale, I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to not see photos up online!!
Most of all, have a realistic reserve! I believe in the theory that if I can make a profit, even if its only a tiny one, a profit is a profit, and therefore the sale is a success.

robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Thanks Rem, Einstein,

Rem - I was really happy with the draw. Subject to withdrawals he should be the 61st lot through, which will allow enough time to allow the market to settle and not too much time for orders to be filled.

Einstein, there will be a bombardment of photos and spam on social media! Hopefully a video as well. He does have a nice page, and there are legitimate excuses for his dam which hopefully I get the chance to explain. And agree on the low reserve - he is so hard to price in any event then you have to let the market tell you what he is worth and not pre-empt.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:27pm
Don't be afraid to approach a senior Inglis sales agent like D'Arcy and see where they have him priced.  Between them and your vendor you should get a solid idea.  I tend to set my reserve and if it is a horse I really want to move I tell my vendor to 'go live' if the bidding stalls a bit short and once the buying bench know he is on the market you tend to get a few extra bids.  Good luck with him.  I will make sure to check him out.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:36pm
Good luck robbo

Geez it’s a big book to get 5hrough. Got a list of 15 so far but it could really have been 40 if I wasn’t so harsh.....or silly
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:05pm
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm
Photos of my Inglis Classic Roman Emperor colt taken on Monday. Still six weeks out from sale day. I'm really happy how he is coming along.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:39pm
Hes a nice sort Robbo!!! Just try and get him to stand a bit better for photos and squat down a bit when taking them so your shorter than the horse otherwise you make him look smaller than he is.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:15am
Agree with Einstein,,,get better photos.   Those pics do him no justice .  
animals before people.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 8:33pm
there is a racehorse in that photo. Not early but a trainer's horse for sure. I like him & my eye is generally accurate

Condition is excellent for this stage

Let him put on a few extra Kgs a fortnite  b4 sale as he will tighten up at the complex

Definitely get some help with those photos
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 5:30pm
Reckon this sale has more depth than Melbourne Premier, and will exceed that sale's average prices.

Just hope there's enough cash left when Robbo's fellow enters the ring.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:58pm
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:59pm
Here is the Roman Emperor colt as portrayed on the Inglis website. Apparently it's been quite a challenging preparation period all round due to the extreme heat, but otherwise he is handling everything well.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:09pm
He looks great!

Good luck robbo.  
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:26pm
Just having a browse of the catalogue and noticed Lot 31.

His dam was a lovely type and the 3 x 2 Lion Hunter is very interesting.  Certainly looks like a November foal however they soon grow up.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

Just having a browse of the catalogue and noticed Lot 31.

His dam was a lovely type and the 3 x 2 Lion Hunter is very interesting.  Certainly looks like a November foal however they soon grow up.

Had iron my short list as well, Flight.
I’ll wrestle you for it
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:38am
Had it not iron
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:53am
Hard Going
Ignoring the Gold section this looks like a very tough sale.   70% clearance Ave & Med hovering around $50K.   Lots of poor types
Syndicators still buy the page as they don't bother selling conformation
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:18pm
Except for lot 250  pinhookers are getting absolutely smashed
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:20pm
To be fair to the market it is apparent Inglis put too many gelatihouse types in this sale.
Do yourself a favour and scan the presale pics. There are a lot of "barry crockers"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:23pm
Glencoe you're not alone in suggesting there's some very ordinary types in the sale.

Thought Lot 64 (Sebring - Arcadia Rose) appeared good buying at $120k.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

To be fair to the market it is apparent Inglis put too many gelatihouse types in this sale.
Do yourself a favour and scan the presale pics. There are a lot of "barry crockers"

Get your thoughts on this one?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:59pm
Don't much like the filly or her pedigree page Shrunk.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:09pm

All good,I liked her but I’m an average judge
Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:08pm
Glencoe
 I do not rate myself as a judge of type --so what do you think of Lot 259. Bought by Bjorn Baker for $40K.
Quite a good pedigree, so seems quite cheap.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:46pm
I pulled out around 60 yearlings and there was only 1 that I would even consider buying.  A lot of poor types and bad looking joints.  Guessing the supplementary feeding due to the drought has had its impact. A lot of worried vendors going into the next few days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Breeder Breeder wrote:

Glencoe I do not rate myself as a judge of type --so what do you think of Lot 259. Bought by Bjorn Baker for $40K.  Quite a good pedigree, so seems quite cheap.  

Having not been asked I'll defer to Glencoe regarding type.  However there are three warning signs imo:

1st:  the mares first foal, a 3yo, is yet to be named, and that worries me considerably;
2nd: the mares second foal, a 2yo, is yet to be named.  That worries me, if somewhat less than above; and
3rd: the yearling in question was purchased for $30k as a weanling by Arrowfield either for itself or a client, yet they were prepared to sell her for what represents a significant loss as a yearling.

None of which fills me with optimism.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>