Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

All Star Mile Vic Autumn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Star Mile Vic Autumn
    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:42am
https://www.racing.com/news/2018-11-19/melbourne-to-host-rich-mile-race

Racing Victoria (RV) has today announced a new $5 million Weight for Age mile race to be run during the 2019 Autumn Carnival. 

The All-Star Mile will be on of the richest mile race in the world and the public will get a chance to decide the field via public ballot. 

To be run during the Autumn Carnival, the first edition of the race will be at Flemington on March 16, 2019. 

Of the 14 spots, up for grabs in the field, 10 will be decided by public vote with the remaining four 'wildcards' at the discretion of RV. 

Successful racing fans who are allocated a horse on the day will become a nominal owner and share in the enormous prize purse. 

RV CEO Giles Thompson said the race will rotate annually between the three major metropolitan clubs which will see the race held at Flemington, Moonee Valley and Caulfield. 

Thompson stated, “The core of the race will be the same year in, year out, but the experience will be totally different because the clubs will bring what they bring.

The fans just want to get involved and this enables them to get involved.”

“Our autumn racing schedule is pretty impressive with Super Saturday … but we felt it could do with an injection of newness and innovation,” he said.

“This really does that; it will create a lot of interest and be the real feature event of the carnival. The two states are very different and bring different things to the racing calendar.

“This is something they couldn’t do in Sydney because they don’t have three different metro clubs for starters. Similarly, you could argue, could we do something like the Everest down in Melbourne? But it’s not about that, it’s about us bringing our own things to the racing schedule,” said Thompson.

Edited by Gay3 - 21 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:32am
Boring copying zzz Everest
Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:32am
The next step will be an app to vote on the winner too, then they won’t have to waste time watching horses run around at the risk of missing something important in the marquee.
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:34am
Interesting initiative. It will be interesting to see how it is being funded.
Similar concept I suppose to the Arima Kinen in Japan with the fans voting for the starters etc.

I see they are targeting Winx. But if they get her will they get anywhere near a full field? It would just be a jog around the block for her like the Ryder each year. The Cox Plate is the same money and they only get 7-8 horses for that so might struggle for more in this if Winx is there. But if not you would expect a decent field for it including some 3yo milers targeting it.
StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:56am
Timing seems a bit strange...

Same day as the G1 Coolmore Classic.. you'd imagine the owners of the fillies and mares would be more interested in blacktype?

A week after the G1 Australia Cup over 2000m, and the Randwick Guineas over 1600m... a week before the Rosehill Guineas, George Ryder and Ranvet.

Not sure they could have picked a busier period for a race over that distance.. middle of most horses preps too. Guess the Australian Guineas and Chipping Norton lead into it well.. three weeks back to the Doncaster is probably doable, but not sure what they'd do with the Queen Elizabeth horses...
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:59am
It’s actually what this country sorely lacks- a big WFA mile. The others are “lead up races”. But I don’t think this is the way to go about it. More Vic/NSW chest beating- to the detriment of scheduling as a whole.

I can just see V’landys plotting his next move...
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

It’s actually what this country sorely lacks- a big WFA mile. The others are “lead up races”. But I don’t think this is the way to go about it. More Vic/NSW chest beating- to the detriment of scheduling as a whole.

It sure does lack a big mile wfa race ... which will attract the best possible field. If you were deciding where to place that race on the national calendar where would it be? I would have a hard time working out the date even with my utter impartiality. In a perfect world, to get the perfect result, I would probably have to delete a race or two to maximise the effectiveness of the new race.

Aaarrrrgh this freaking American spell-checker- get rid of it.Angry I know how to spell in the English language.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:43am
I hope they vote in Vianden, or some other country slug.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:45am
Excellent timing. Right after everyone complaining how gelati the prizemoney is on Sandown Cup day. 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:48am
The money on Saturday was deplorable.
Standard Saturday money for Group and Listed races

I see they want Winx in this race
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:49am
The two clear favourites in Australia's top mile wfa race held next autumn would be Winx and TAS. I have no idea who would be third favourite- daylight. What are the odds of either of those two running in this race?

Simon Cameron

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:51am
MVRC first turn, hosted by VRC?
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

It sure does lack a big mile wfa race ... which will attract the best possible field. If you were deciding where to place that race on the national calendar where would it be? I would have a hard time working out the date even with my utter impartiality. In a perfect world, to get the perfect result, I would probably have to delete a race or two to maximise the effectiveness of the new race.

Aaarrrrgh this freaking American spell-checker- get rid of it.Angry I know how to spell in the English language.

I'd have it in the Spring.  For one thing, if they want a public vote Spring is when the general public are thinking about racing.  I like the idea of it rotating between clubs.  I'd have it rotating between Caulfield Cup Day, Cox Plate Day and Derby Day.  And I'd have it so that the year it's run on CC Day, they don't have the Toorak.  The year it's at MV they don't run the Crystal Mile.  The year it's at Flemington they either don't run the Cantala or they move it to another day. 
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:01am
Flemington gets the race first.

TAS will be targeting the Australian Guineas the week before also over 1600m. Would he backup? before maybe going to Sydney

What will this race do to the Australian Cup?

Maybe... they should have switched the Australian Cup to 1600m with the 5M in prizemoney, just a thought.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Campaspe Campaspe wrote:

I'd have it in the Spring.  For one thing, if they want a public vote Spring is when the general public are thinking about racing.  I like the idea of it rotating between clubs.  I'd have it rotating between Caulfield Cup Day, Cox Plate Day and Derby Day.  And I'd have it so that the year it's run on CC Day, they don't have the Toorak.  The year it's at MV they don't run the Crystal Mile.  The year it's at Flemington they either don't run the Cantala or they move it to another day. 

The obvious place for it would be as a replacement for the Toorak handicap. Australia doesn't need another mile handicap- there is the Epsom a fortnight earlier and the whatever they call that Flemington race at the end of the carnival for handicappers.

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:11am
What gelatity mountain name can we give it? The Colgate Optic White Nanga Parbat.?
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
They will have Winx firmly in their sights.
Sunline...simply supreme
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:15am
Does this race replace the Blamey?
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by pnclick pnclick wrote:

Flemington gets the race first.

TAS will be targeting the Australian Guineas the week before also over 1600m. Would he backup? before maybe going to Sydney

What will this race do to the Australian Cup?

Maybe... they should have switched the Australian Cup to 1600m with the 5M in prizemoney, just a thought.

Why would TAS target the Australian Guineas? Unless Waller has stated that he will makes no sense, it's a nothing race. TAS would most likely go Hobartville - Randwick Guineas - Rosehill Guineas - QE.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:39am
Mick Price will be happy...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:49am

Originally posted by Campaspe Campaspe wrote:

The obvious place for it would be as a replacement for the Toorak handicap. Australia doesn't need another mile handicap- there is the Epsom a fortnight earlier and the whatever they call that Flemington race at the end of the carnival for handicappers.

Scrap that idea- no 3yos- has to be autumn.

The result of this race will be even weaker fields. You will look at the acceptances of this race and the multiple Sydney alternatives around the same time and go WTF!Shocked Too much milk- not enough cream.

Simon Cameron

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:55am
It's good to see them thinking outside the square finally but I agree it would work much better in the Spring. IF Winx comes back well she'll be going for the QE and her big farewell so I really can't see Waller putting her on a float mid preparation for one race. TAS I think will go Doncaster rather than take Winx on in anything.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:03am
Let's see Beauty Generation here for it. Then we send Winx down on a float!
Sunline...simply supreme
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:37am
So the public is going to vote on who gets a run? They better be careful with this one or they’ll have another Badger’s Wood on their hands!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

So the public is going to vote on who gets a run? They better be careful with this one or they’ll have another Badger’s Wood on their hands!

HorseyMcHorseyFace

Simon Cameron

pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:55am

HorseyMcHorseyFace

LOL Everytime they run a public vote, they end up with the joke response. 

Maybe Crafty Cruiser or a rematch with Skyfire
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:58am
I might have to get my trainers license and put the old girl Richters Gift back into work, surely TBV can help her get a run?
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:53am
Historically there was a WFA mile at the VRC Autumn meeting for 100 years before it was dumped in 1966.  

It was originally known as the VRC All Aged Stakes and it was won three times by the great Carbine.  From around 1905 it was renamed the CM Lloyd Stakes and was won by the Hall of Famers Wakeful, Eurythmic (twice) Amounis, Ajax (twice) High Caste Tranquil Star (thrice) and Sky High (twice) before it was last run in 1965 and won by Ripa.  It was also the race in which Phar Lap was upset at the peak of his powers by Waterline in 1931.

Makes me wonder why they ever cut it.

A few years ago the MTC ran the Futurity at a mile as part of an Asian challenge series but they didn't persist with it.  They should have. 

The current proposal is another over staked novelty race that we really don't need.   
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:53am

I'm sure it's like the Kosciusko and you can only vote from a pre-selected list.
Sunline...simply supreme
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I'm sure it's like the Kosciusko and you can only vote from a pre-selected list.

That's not what the Kozzy had, they had a suggested list put together by Racing NSW, you could pick outside of that list but it was a tool for people that didn't know the horses as well to get a good idea of who was available/good enough.

But surely they will have to do that for this, then the 4 'wildcard' spots might be used to try and get overseas horses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>