Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

G1 Mackinnon Stakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

To be honest Brudder, I could not care less....

No problems, Voyagers. Your post always give interesting insight and are worth reading...
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:24pm

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

If it draws another field like this next year I would strip out 80% of the prizemoney and reduce it to G2.Thumbs Down

I would go the other way T.

I am not usually behind the VRC with their bullying tactics for spring and their single mindedness for their own carnival, but add 2 million to this, and make it the wfa championship to rival the Cox Plate.

Winx has saved wfa middle distance racing in Australia the last few years, but when she departs our tracks, we will be left with a very ordinary lot of wfa horses.

Just on this race, are we thinking Shillelagh can run the 2000m?   

There has been no quality and depth in numbers for years..
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
Extra Brut
Blair House
Latrobe
Octabella
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
In truth the race has been relative rubbish for many years with a field mainly comprising beaten Cox Plate runners or a final blow-out for Melbourne Cup contestants.

I presume (without actually knowing) that Blair House is running after his 2nd in the Caulfield Stakes because of a setback that kept him out of the Cox.  And Latrobe hasn't started since his run in the 2800m Irish St Leger so (without knowing once again) must have had a problem that precluded him running in the Cup or the Cox.  

Bottom line: without them the race would be relative rubbish yet again, just without the Melbourne Cup hopefuls having their final (Bart Cummings speciality) final hit out.

Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
Latrobe wasn't ready for the Cup.

Blair House was kept out of the Cox to run here as they thought it was more winnable.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by breeding_above_all breeding_above_all wrote:

This seems like a bit of a disastrous race to win for handicapping and La Trobe getting into the MC on a light weight... bizarre.. you would think Lloyd would be dodging the handicapper at every turn

La Trobe wouldn't win a MC.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:44pm
Hasn't there been talk the last few years that Euros should target this race for the prize money, rather than the Cups? Surprised that it's taken this long.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:46pm
Thanks Speed and don't for a moment doubt what you've read, even if I agree re Latrobe and query the Blair House info.

In any event it hardly changes the scenario: without them the field is ordinary and will continue to remain so in the future imo.

Over to others.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:49pm
We'll have a new Cox Plate winner next season. I'll bet my middle testicle he backs up into this.
reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:49pm
Yep. Appleby said they had little chance of beating Benbatl in the CP let alone Winx.  

$375K for third there V $1.2M win tomorrow, which he should do against that lot.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:53pm
Putting a lot of trust in Dazzling Darren here but I am going to assume Extra Brut has thrived since the Derby.

He is by far the best horse in the race.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
Lol. Are you not a disciple of the Au middle distance credo then?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:58pm
Or the '3yo's are a mediocre lot' credo - with a couple of exceptions?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 6:02pm
Was just thinking BH will probably start a shade of sauce tomorrow, better get on. Too late. $2.30 last night, evens now. Tote might be the only hope
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

We'll have a new Cox Plate winner next season. I'll bet my middle testicle he backs up into this.

You have a middle testicle?  Shocked

ps an old and to this day huge mate of mine only had one testicle, and that attracted rather than turned off prospective lady friends - after word got around.  He and his missus later had five children proving, as he'd later say, that one ball does it all.

Please don't thank me for sharing that with you all.  Smile
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

To be honest Brudder, I could not care less....

No problems, Voyagers. Your post always give interesting insight and are worth reading...

It just makes me laugh when I hear trainers or owners or media types say we should cap internationals.

As was stated before the Cup this week, and again by Shrunk, in the Melbourne Cup thread, the field for this years cup would have been less than inspiring, if they had not shown up!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Putting a lot of trust in Dazzling Darren here but I am going to assume Extra Brut has thrived since the Derby.

He is by far the best horse in the race.

I think if you like Extra Brute then Mickey is worth a couple of bucks eachway...have taken $41.00, not much damage done if he flops
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:07pm
The horses are less hardy these days. Need to race less often, longer space between runs. That's why we have more G1s.Geek Do the math. It all adds up.Thumbs Up
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:41pm
BLAIR HOUSE to beat LATROBE/SHILLELAGH/DOUBT DEFYING for me.

Might have something the place on DOUBT DEFYING who is in best form.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

They are an ordinary lot .

The struggling leader =Trap For Fools might run a race EW

WOOO HOOO What a BEAUTY
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:50pm
Got to give credit how he dug in.
Though 100m out that he would be run over but reckon we he saw them coming he found a reason not to let them pass him.

Tuff win !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12