Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Summer of cricket 2018-2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer of cricket 2018-2019
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 11:24am
Cricket Australia is doing their best to alienate the viewers that the sandpaper fiasco didn't, by having no free to air coverage of the one series and T20s against South Africa starting today. Uncle Rupe will sell you a Foxtel subscription though...no thanks. 

Cricket fans beware — Australia v South Africa ODIs won't be on free-to-air TV

By national sport editor David Mark

Updated about 10 hours agoSunday will be a history-making day for Australian cricket.

For the first time ever, a one day international won't be shown on free-to-air TV in Australia, and there are predictions cricket fans will be angry.

"I think they're going to be furious, and the impact of that is you're going to lose more followers from the game," Brett Geeves, a former Australian and Sheffield Shield player, said.

Sunday's game is the first of 10 one-day and T20 internationals that will be shown exclusively on Fox Sports, and you can add to that 16 Big Bash games that you won't be able to watch on Channel more...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-03/cricket-viewers-in-for-a-shock-with-one-dayers-behind-paywall/10461746

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 11:28am
I don't think many are interested in the cricket after recent events .

We line up when winning but drop off otherwise.

It's a Fn bore anytime.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 11:58am
Just like the old grey mare..." She ain't what she use to be", I'm over it .
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

For whatever reason , your line tickled my fancy.   

Strange, but I couldn't tell you a player in our team.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 1:22pm
It's quite funny that the format of the game least likely to attract a younger audience is the only one that'll be broadcast on FTA television. Cricket risks sending itself the way of Rugby Union here or cricket itself in the UK with this move.

I also strongly dislike how this country is moving toward a model of shovelling more money into Rupes pockets if we wish to watch live sport.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

It's quite funny that the format of the game least likely to attract a younger audience is the only one that'll be broadcast on FTA television. Cricket risks sending itself the way of Rugby Union here or cricket itself in the UK with this move.

I also strongly dislike how this country is moving toward a model of shovelling more money into Rupes pockets if we wish to watch live sport.

Not me. If a sport drops off free to air I lose all interest in the sport. Not rusted on to anything. Is there any sporting event worth paying money to watch? Not from where I'm sitting. Pretty bored with sport full stop to tell you the truthSleepy, even on fta, although I will at least start watching the Patriots/Packers tomorrow.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 1:53pm
I had a bet on the baseball World Series last week and watched every game. Very exciting stuff.

Could easily switch if only they stopped spitting.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I had a bet on the baseball World Series last week and watched every game. Very exciting stuff.

Could easily switch if only they stopped spitting.

That reminds me- I have paid for sport ... once- $9.95 for a World Series pass. But that was a once in a 108 year event - Cubs winning.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
I never paid for the baseball.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

For whatever reason , your line tickled my fancy.   

Strange, but I couldn't tell you a player in our team.

It was meant for people of our vintage Macca, ...I knew you could relate to it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 3:54pm
Not missing anything. Australia 5/49 off 18 overs.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:09pm
Great to see we're on the improve.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 7:59pm
Going to be a long summer for cricket fans by the looks of it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:42pm
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:06am
Part of the allure of nine was the commentary team, I mean the originals, Richie, Bill, Tony and Ian. I do not care what Shane Warne says, because of his arrogance. Richie Benaud might not have had as many test wickets, but he was revered, due to his presence which was one of enjoying cricket alongside you, not commentating as if he knew everything and the audience knew nothing.

Also, I think sporting administrators underestmate the commentary on their sport.

In rugby league tv money is everything, yet the channel nine group of commentators is among the most hated in Australian sport, and so we see a decline in ratings.

If you name a sport, and when you loved it most, then you can usually connect a caller or commentator with that love affair with the sport.

I loved Murray Walker calling the formula one, have not watched since he gave it away, but I must admit that Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell and others including Alan Jones, were great personalities, not like Lewis Hamilton who would not know how to be charismatic, if he was educated for twenty years.

Also when your players could not care less about performing, because they earn their money in India, six weeks a year, then why should the fans follow the sport.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply