Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Horse Cruelty Charges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

I don’t even know who it is, just a suggestion.
You would think if they had sufficient evidence then charges would be laid.

That’s just my two cents.

I’d say it is a little delicate and more complicated than just laying charges when it comes to the golden goose.
to the victor
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Anyone else hear that a rather overgrown yard has fallen foul in this regard and is under investigation - and not before time.

8th December.
reductio ad absurdum
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:03am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Anyone else hear that a rather overgrown yard has fallen foul in this regard and is under investigation - and not before time.

8th December.

Happening for years, worst kept secret
to the victor
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:04am
Yep, love the village!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:05am
They dont miss much do they ??LOL
animals before people.
Furt View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:22am
The old saying rings true again: where there is smoke there is electricity.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:11am

I can’t believe that it did not get suppressed by the big boys. Must be why the cops were involved instead
to the victor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 9:36pm
I can't begin to imagine the agony he was in for over 36 hours, not to mention the mental trauma suffered by all horses in the barn; they all know when one of their own is struggling for life Angry
There is no excuse for anyone who does this & it doesn't help racings' 'everyone loves their horses' cause Angry

Horse death results in suspension

Racing New South Wales has suspended three members of a training partnership for failing to provide adequate veterinary treatment to one of their horses.

Canberra trainers Barbara Joseph, Paul Jones and Matt Jones fronted Racing NSW stewards on Wednesday at the continuation of an inquiry that was opened on May 19 this year.

It was in relation to the circumstances surrounding the death of I Am Rocky in February this year and the care the four-year-old entire was afforded in the lead-up to its death.

In addition to one charge under AR103(4), for failing to lodge a stable return for I Am Rocky despite the horse having been in work for approximately nine weeks, the training partners were also issued one charge under AR231(1)(b)(iii).

Among the particulars of that charge were:

* At approximately 4am on Saturday, 23 February 2019, co-trainer Mr M. Jones became aware that I Am Rocky was displaying symptoms of colic.

* At approximately 8:09am on Saturday, 23 February 2019, Mr P. Jones became aware that I Am Rocky was again displaying symptoms of colic.

* That during Saturday, 23 February 2019, stable foreperson Mr S. Jamieson had observed that I Am Rocky had “been lethargic all day”.

* That during Saturday, 23 February 2019, they did fail to provide for veterinary treatment of I Am Rocky when the horse was displaying symptoms of colic and such treatment was necessary for the horse.

* That after observing that I Am Rocky was dull and lethargic in its stable at approximately 7am on Sunday, 24 February 2019, licensed stablehand Ms L. Fehre contacted Mr S. Jamieson soon after and reported to him words to the effect “He looks unwell and he probably needs a vet”.

* That at no time did they, subsequent to Saturday, 23 February 2019 and whilst I Am Rocky remained in their care, control and supervision at their registered racing stables provide for veterinary treatment of the horse, when such treatment was necessary for the horse.

* I Am Rocky was found deceased in its stable at approximately 7:30pm on Sunday, 24 February 2019 by stable foreperson Mr S. Jamieson.

* A post-mortem examination report completed by Dr S. Raidal, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (Charles Sturt University), on 26 February 2019, provided a gross diagnosis of right dorsal displacement of the large colon, likely secondary to diffuse typhlocolitis ultimately was the cause of the death of I Am Rocky. The Report also identified and described numerous superficial wounds and subcutaneous haemorrhages, consistent with trauma following an episode of uncontrolled colic pain.

AR231(1) states that it is an offence for any person in charge of a horse to fail to provide veterinary treatment to a horse when necessary.

The four-month suspension under the second charge was reduced from six months owing to a guilty plea from the three training partners, while they were also fined $200 under charge one.

Racing.com Staff

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:45pm
Any ideas who? I'm sure our Q/land members are all over it.

Racehorse dead and another euthanised after property investigation

Posted by: AAP+ at 3:17pm on 17/1/2020

The Queensland Racing Integrity Commission has confirmed a registered racehorse has died and another has been euthanised after investigations at a property near Brisbane.

QRIC boss Ross Barnett said another two horses were found to be in a serious condition after a visit by Integrity officers to the property at Pimpana between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Barnett said QRIC had also issued an animal welfare direction to the owners of two currently registered thoroughbred racehorses found in various stages of neglect at the property.

He said officers attended the property earlier this week after the case was referred from the RSPCA.

Barnett said one registered racehorse had died on the property before staff attended and the second horse was in such poor condition, it was humanely euthanised.

“Two horses remain in a serious condition and arrangements are in place for their care,” Barnett said.

“Whenever the commission receives an animal welfare report, the response is swift and in this case it was immediate.”

Barnett said officers had issued an animal welfare direction to ensure the owners immediately increased nutritional and feed intake for the remaining horses.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:37pm
Thought it was Pimpama?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:48pm
Who is Pimpana ?  Name them please ??? 
And never rely on the RSPCA.  They are useless . 
Go further.  To racing authorities,  or the press, or just facebook, if you find an animal in need.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:32am
See above acacia  -  to the property at Pimpana between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 8:05am
Pimpama is about 20min north of the Goldie, it's a newish area with massive housing estates, a brand new mall, and a few farms that haven't sold to the developers, so where the horses are?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:51am
Thanks.  I thought by TJ Mitchell,s post it was a farm/property somewhere .
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:49am
I've no idea id these are related, regardless, it's a terrible look for racing when these posts run rampant on social media Angry
I'd research myself but every online outlet these days seems to be paywalled Angry

Edited by Gay3 - 19 Jan 2020 at 11:51am
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:34am
Very disturbing to read on RNSW this morning re the charges stewards issued and subsequent penalties to those guilty of shocking, cruel and malicious acts on those poor defenceless darlings......I can't describe how I feel, suffice to say the track rider involved in that despicable act at Warwick Farm was riding for Rick Worthington. The horse was by Redoubts so wouldn't have been a cheap purchase....I wonder what action the RSPCA might take. or the owners even....if that was one of mine, or the other poor souls I'd be at the stable door, with lawyers and a baseball bat.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Very disturbing to read on RNSW this morning re the charges stewards issued and subsequent penalties to those guilty of shocking, cruel and malicious acts on those poor defenceless darlings......I can't describe how I feel, suffice to say the track rider involved in that despicable act at Warwick Farm was riding for Rick Worthington. The horse was by Redoubts so wouldn't have been a cheap purchase....I wonder what action the RSPCA might take. or the owners even....if that was one of mine, or the other poor souls I'd be at the stable door, with lawyers and a baseball bat.

Absolutely shocking!. Surely it must have been an insurance job for something like this to have happened? Seriously, how piss poor is what the Stewards handed down as punishment? 13months and a $500 fine. Would love to know what the insurance payout was as I’m sure his sling would more than cover it.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 6:38pm
Might be in the horses best interest if they stopped insuring them. Lot of suspect activity out there 😡
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:24am
And so it continues! I'm no rap for the CPR but don't blame them continuing to expose this Cry

Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses
·

RIP 💔

Investigators have today confirmed who 5 of the many horses found starved to death at the Toowoomba property are.

All mares. All with $0 in prize money. All suffered unimaginable pain.

Oorawan - DECEASED. 7 year old mare - last raced 13/7/16 - 5 races $0 prize money - listed as deceased 20/1/20 bred by Mr G Dawson.

Aah - DECEASED. 11 year old mare - no records of being raced - listed as deceased 20/1/20 - bred by Gainsborough Lodge QLD.

Sarah’s Joy - DECEASED. 13 year old mare - 6 races last raced 13/3/10 - listed as retired - $0 prize money - bred by GG Taylor NSW.

Onya Sonya - DECEASED. 12 year old mare - no racing records - listed as active - bred by Palmaday Stud QLD

Miss Voli - DECEASED. 13 year old mare - last raced 24/12/11 5 races - $0 prize money - bred by Mr R Lynch QLD. breeding record - giving birth to Golden Mistress in 2016, after 2 'missed' and a 'foal died at birth'.

as well as Flagflemenco - as previously reported. Still alive, at this stage. 11 year old mare bred by Lyndhurst Stud QLD. Raced 18 times from 2011 - 2013 resulting in $13,940 in prize money for her owners.

Despite public outrage and almost 2000 emails to the Minister of Agriculture, there still appears to be very little action from Biosecurity Queensland, who are claiming they are caring for the horses and making two visits per day. However, very distressed neighbours are watching closely and report they are not seeing them there at all. They also report they have been instructed to stop giving the high quality feed they have been kindly giving themselves so now the only feed will be that being given by the property owner which is one small feed per day of wet straw.

Demand that Biosecurity Queensland take action TODAY - https://alq.org.au/horse-cruelty-toowoomba and take our pledge to never bet on or attend a horse race again here https://horseracingkills.com/…/the-racing-industrys-darkes…/

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:28am

Authorities Fail Starved Horses

16 January 2020

After dozens of horses on one property have been left to slowly starve to death, you would think that everything would be done to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to the last remaining horses. But once again, Biosecurity Queensland (Department of Agriculture) have failed to act, failed to prosecute and failed to protect these animals.

Investigators from Animal Liberation Qld and Coalition for Protection of Racehorses attended the site in the Gowrie Mountain area just outside of Toowoomba yesterday to observe the horses from the fence line and find out more. 

We have grave concerns for these 8 horses who have witnessed their friends starve to death. The surviving horses are still not being adequately fed. Witnesses reported only a very small amount of feed is now being given once a day, and some days none at all. The bodies of their friends still remain on the property, slowly decomposing.

What does it take for the Department to prosecute for animal cruelty? How bad does it need to be? These horses need to be seized and given the opportunity of living a life free of neglect and starvation. 

Tell the Minister that this level of animal cruelty is unacceptable, and that you want action for starving animals. This level of cruelty requires animals to be seized and properly cared for and for prosecution for animal cruelty.

Take action below. You can also call the Minister's office on (07) 3719 7420.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 12:11pm
A thread with almost 1000 shares since yesterday has given a Terry Oberle as the owner.
This poster is SO spot on imo.

Sarah Evans Ok, pretty sure he has owned racehorses in the past and Racing QLD will be taking an extremely hard line with this waste of breath.
He's not a trainer.
There were so many horses on this property of which a handful once raced and the current registere
d connections of said horses are now being investigated on charges relating to the malnutrition of their horses.
So most of these horses are not racehorses. None of them are within the current racing system (retired/spelling).

This is where the GOVERNMENT needs to bloody start pulling it's weight in animal welfare responsibility and the damn RSPCA needs a massive overhaul!!

This should NEVER be allowed to happen to ANY horse.

Cut the blame game! Racing is doing everything in its power while the government both state and federal drags it's bloody feet and racing STILL is copping the blame😡
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:26pm
Not sure that the game is doing all it can if it is allowing clerks horses to appear like the one in the other post ?
However this above is horrendous.  Why havnt the RSPCA seized these animals fiddlesticks  ?  How can they let this go on like this ??
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 9:03pm
Thanks Dizzy Thumbs Up

'Horrendous' scene of 35 horses found dead on property north of Longreach

A major investigation is underway after 35 horses were found shot dead in "horrific" scenes on a property in western Queensland.

Readers are advised this story has distressing content.

The animals, discovered on Yanburra station about 60km north of Longreach, included pregnant mares and foals.

Police said they expected to find more carcasses on the 2,000-hectare property today.

Detective Sergeant Allan Cook said the horses died from multiple gunshot wounds in a brazen shooting along the side of a major road.

"Absolutely horrendous," Detective Sergeant Cook said.

"It's tourist season at the moment, anyone driving past that road would have seen those carcasses, so absolutely horrendous.

"You've got stallions, colts, pregnant mares, aborted foals, they've shot the foals at the foot, it's horrific."

A neighbour raised the alarm about 4:00pm on Thursday when she discovered the horses on Yanburra. 

They were believed to have been killed between Tuesday and Wednesday.

The owner of the property was not home at the time of the incident. 

The Longreach Stock and Rural Crime Investigation Squad returned to the scene on Friday morning.

RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty, who has worked with the animal welfare organisation for 17 years, said it was very uncommon for such a high number of horses to be executed. 

"In fact, in all of the time I've been with the RSPCA I don't think I've ever heard numbers of this proportion," Mr Beatty said. 

"Obviously you do have situations where there is a cull where large numbers of animals are put down, but not on a private property where you are not talking about feral brumbies.

"I've never heard of anything like [this]."

Detective Sergeant Cook said incidents of this nature can have a devastating impact on rural communities.

That is why the Queensland Police Service is working extremely closely with partner agencies to identify the person or people responsible, he said. 

The joint investigation involves forensic officers, the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries and council rangers. The RSPCA does not have an inspector in the region. 

Police are urging anybody with information to contact them at the Longreach Police Station 07 4652 5200.

"Anyone who saw any suspicious activity on the Cramsie Muttaburra Rd at Longreach, please call us," Detective Sergeant Cook said.

RACENET

The owner of a large station where police found at least 35 horses shot dead is understood to have been left devastated by news of the mass slaughter.

At least 35 horses including pregnant mares and foals were found with multiple gunshot wounds on a property 60km north of Longreach on Thursday afternoon.

Detective Sergeant Allan Cooke, Officer in Charge of the Major and Organised Crime Squad Rural Longreach, said officers were met with confronting and devastating scenes after discovering the horses lying on Yanburra Station.

The elderly property owner, who has not been at home for some time because he is in hospital, was reportedly shattered to learn what had happened.

When we got there at 4pm yesterday you could see from the road all the carcasses lying in the paddock, Det Sgt Cook said.

Once we went in and had a closer look, there were 36 thus far. Were still counting.

Det Sgt Cook said among the dead were stillborn foals and mares with their foals still at foot.

A lot of these animals havent died instantly, he said.

Ive been a copper for 30 years and its certainly one of the most horrendous sights Ive seen.

Det Sgt Cook said it was devastating to the community who fought tirelessly during the drought to keep their animals alive.

At this stage, police believe the horses were shot on the property off Cramsie Muttaburra Rd between Tuesday and Wednesday.

This morning Det Sgt Cook was heading back out to the property to continue searching for any additional wounded or dead horses on the large property.

Police are still investigating if the shootings were random or targeted but said they were definitely intentional.

Anyone who may have seen any suspicious activity on this road over the past few days is urged to come forward.

Racenet understands the horrific incident is not related to racing and none of the horses are registered thoroughbreds.

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:02am

A man has been charged over the shooting deaths of 41 horses on a property in outback Queensland.

The animals were found with multiple gunshot wounds on a 2,000-hectare property north of Longreach on Thursday last week.

Police allege the horses including geldings, colts, pregnant mares and mares with foals died between August 3 and August 4.

A 49-year-old Mount Isa man was arrested yesterday and charged with one count of injuring animals, which has a maximum penalty of up to seven years' jail. 

He was refused bail and is due to face the Mount Isa Magistrates Court today.

Detective Sergeant Allan Cook from the Stock Squad previously said the killings had caused "great devastation" in the local community.

The owner of the property had been in hospital for some time prior to the incident.

Edited by Gay3 - 13 Aug 2021 at 11:19am
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:18am
Might just be looking over his shoulder for a long time to come me thinks......and rightly so.
theshu25 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote theshu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 12:41pm
Hope this animal gets the full 7 years in the slammer. Has to be the lowest dog act ever.
theshu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12