Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Saturday Racing Blog October 20 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saturday Racing Blog October 20 2018
    Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:11am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:09am
It's been raining here at Caulfield for a good couple of hours now. Not hard rain but enough to put a bit of juice into the track. I have no idea if it'll affect the track rating but l'm mindful of it.

They reckon it's going to clear up but l can tell ya it doesn't look that way. Very gloomy and dark conditions presently.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:10am
I’d be surprised if it got any worse than a Good 4
Drains pretty well these days
Long Row View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Row Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:22am
The rain radar suggests it's in for an extended battering.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml#skip
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:43am
good luck all
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

I’d be surprised if it got any worse than a Good 4
Drains pretty well these days

Already a Soft5

The rain is coming down harder now. If this persists, we'll be working with a heavy track.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:11am
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:14am
The BOM have serious problems when the date below the above image captured 2mins ago, says Friday 19 2018 Ouch Unless my interpretation's awry Confused
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:26am
With the track being rain affected...does Jon Snow come into calculations for the Caulfield Cup?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:29am
I’m about 10km from Caulfield and have had one spit.
Sun is out at the moment.
Weird
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:32am
Beautiful sunshine 1 hour west of Melb
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

The BOM have serious problems when the date below the above image captured 2mins ago, says Friday 19 2018 Ouch Unless my interpretation's awry Confused
That'd be the time in Greenwich. We're +11 hours on that.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:48am
I'm in Glen Iris & it's gloomy AF. Should still clear though.

Track manager says the whole width was verti drained, so all this rain, plus the 6mm they put on yesterday (was pretty warm & breezy), would've gone straight into the sub-surface.

MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

With the track being rain affected...does Jon Snow come into calculations for the Caulfield Cup?

Bloody oath he does. He'll be added into my quaddie.

POP, leave the Caulfield weather to me my good friend. I literally live 50 metres from the track. I'm located just across the road from Clinton McDonald's stable.

It's just an ugly looking day. There's no doubt the attendance will be affected.

Rain has eased slightly but still drizzling.

We can treat the Japs as scratchings can't we? They just never seem to handle sting out or aren't anywhere as near as effective.
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:58am
Kings Will Dream will grow a leg.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Underground View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:02pm
probably right but I won't ever forget Hanas Goal absolutely destroying them in the slop @ Randwick one day 
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:12pm
Definitely including Jon Snow in the Cup, with a couple of quinellas so far with mixes of Best S, Cliffs, Jon S, Red V and KWD.
Also have a couple of all blue win/ place multis in melb and syd! Will it be a big day for Godolphin.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:16pm
Nights Watch will win easily, wetter the better
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:16pm
Good call Underground. I forgot about that one.

On a completely different note, l'm surprised to see B Rawiller riding at Bendigo today. I know heavy jockeys probably aren't suited to days like today, but you would still expect him to have a couple of rides at least. Is he out of favour with Weir and others?

Should be a moral to win a couple at Bendigo which is obviously his hometown.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

On a completely different note, l'm surprised to see B Rawiller riding at Bendigo today. I know heavy jockeys probably aren't suited to days like today, but you would still expect him to have a couple of rides at least. Is he out of favour with Weir and others?

Rode a winner for Weiry at Pakenham last night
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:18pm
Just having a look at Weir’s Caulfield runners - none of them appear to be in Brads weight range of 58kg
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:24pm
Now that Covert Ops is scratched I'm on Time To Reign in the first at Randwick.
His trial win was very easy and held together the entire way. Whereas the fav Evening Slippers was pushed along early and all the way down the straight.
Also TTR's win was on a  Heavy surface and he seemed to love it.
Only danger I see is TTR and ES going at each other and Bivouac gets the softer run behind them.

I like Resin later in the day. $6 EW looks overs.
She's one of Beaded's foals and has inherited a lot of her ability.
Has a liking to wet tracks as well.

At Caulfield Soothing should do better than her first run at the track. The wetter the better.
Youngstar in the Cup.

Another great days racing ahead. Good luck all.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

Rode a winner for Weiry at Pakenham last night

Yeah, he's riding a few for Weir today but what l'm trying to say is surely he would command a few rides in town for Weir and others? I can't imagine a jockey giving up some rides on Caulfield Cup day to ride at Bendigo. So l'm presuming he might not be flavour of the month. Just found it odd.
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Just having a look at Weir’s Caulfield runners - none of them appear to be in Brads weight range of 58kg

Yeah probably nothing in it except for the weight.

Must be frustrating for a gun heavy jockey to have very limited opportunities on big days like these.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 1:19pm
1st heart-stopper for the day. Nice ride Willo... $11 early market does me nicely Tongue
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 1:19pm
Thought ZARGOS was massive too. Def one to follow and looks like a deadset miler.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 1:49pm
Giddy up YOULONG JAN. 

1st of a double for Ciaron (i hope)
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Now that Covert Ops is scratched I'm on Time To Reign in the first at Randwick.
His trial win was very easy and held together the entire way. Whereas the fav Evening Slippers was pushed along early and all the way down the straight.
Also TTR's win was on a  Heavy surface and he seemed to love it.
Only danger I see is TTR and ES going at each other and Bivouac gets the softer run behind them.

I like Resin later in the day. $6 EW looks overs.
She's one of Beaded's foals and has inherited a lot of her ability.
Has a liking to wet tracks as well.

At Caulfield Soothing should do better than her first run at the track. The wetter the better.
Youngstar in the Cup.

Another great days racing ahead. Good luck all.

Time To Reign was an easy watch. Never looked like being challenged in the straight.
Tempted to get on again when the odds eased but took the safe way.

Then on to Ranier. Bowman getting my money back after his slaughter last time.
Again ended up with unders though.

RANDWICK R01 20/10 PLC 1-2 TIME TO REIGN Deductions Apply. Live Betting Available @Price:$3.10 (R&D Apply) Multiplier: 1.05x

CAULFIELD R02 20/10 RANIER Deductions Apply. Live Betting Available @Price:$2.80(R&D Apply)

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 2:03pm
David Hayes wins the first at Adelaide , didn’t see that coming
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 2:04pm
I've taken 6 x 2 horse multis today, all for $5 each, and all Godolphin horses.
No 3 horse multis anymore. I keep getting 2 from 3.

Probably end up 1 from 2 today but they're only $5 each so can't do much damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>