Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stallions Blanking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm
Thats an interesting one, isnt it ?   Some basic instinct from way back when they were all wild and at the mercy of good and bad seasons may still linger in their genes??  The  flight ones still do, and things "attacking " from above .
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:34pm
Instinct it ingrained over millions of years, it's not bred out in a fear thousand.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
With the drought, and this insane up and down weather, mares and stallions, WILL be all over the place. Just because your mare may have been cycling when she went, doesn't mean that once settling in at the stud she is. Nature causes a LOT of mess with cycles!

Might also be a warning to give mares a year off too!!
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:35pm
One of my vets is very highly qualified, has done extensive post graduate study and research.  He says that mares are the best female on the planet at controlling her cycles and pregnancies.  They know which years to give a miss.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:25pm
LOL  Wish a few human females would follow their lead. 
Not surprised at all at that information, Rem.
Just proves , again, that animals are far smarter than humans. 

animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:27am
From Weatherzone:

Drought hits emu farmers, as egg production halved in the big dry

06:57 EDT

Despite being extremely hardy animals, the drought has interfered with this year's emu breeding season with some farmers seeing egg production slashed in half.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:25pm
Yeah that emu story is pretty sad, our Emu that hangs around Easy Rocking only layer 3 eggs this year, she is well fed though, steals most of Rocky’s grain from his feed bin
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
There are some studs that have very good figures for on farm mares. In Vic you can always rely on Blue Gum &  Swettenham for a positive
Bushy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:58pm
Problem with Sweetham is they turn their stallions over all the time and accept anything with a fanny

I hear mares are getting in foal to Tosen Stardom just by driving past in the truck- he doesn't even need to see them his that fertile

Ive sent two to Coolmore and wont go ever again- horrible service and not found 1 person who has a good story about them

Aquis HV im hearing really struggling but more Stallion choice than anything but poor old Invader and Menari are clearly done and dusted

QLD has nothing really on offer

So perhaps something to the fact that Impending and Tosen Stardom in VIC are doing better given slightly kinder climate and better rain fall than NSW and QLD ??
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:35pm
I found the staff at Aquis HV fantastic to deal with and the stallions I used with them had no problem.  4 in foal first cover.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12