Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stallions Blanking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stallions Blanking
    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 12:05pm
So I hear many of our more popular stallions are struggling to get mares in foal this spring, particularly in NSW. Mare owners are being told fibs about their mares’ cycles by the farms and complicit walk-on properties. If you have a mare there and are being told she’s not cycling - there’s a fair chance your stallion is struggling to serve one a day and you’re being taken for a ride.
to the victor
StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:05pm
Not good... guess we've been lucky and picked stallions getting the job done. Storm in foal first go both last year and this year off early August coverings.

Any clues as to who the stallions in question are?
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by StormSiren StormSiren wrote:

Not good... guess we've been lucky and picked stallions getting the job done. Storm in foal first go both last year and this year off early August coverings.

Any clues as to who the stallions in question are?

It’s not, neither is the lack of transparency! Who did you go to? There’s about a dozen stallions mentioned so far but I’m not going to post them for obvious reasons, and numerous farms are repeat offenders.
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:22pm
Went to Star Witness last year and Churchill this year, so as far as those two go no complaints from our end Thumbs Up
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by StormSiren StormSiren wrote:

Went to Star Witness last year and Churchill this year, so as far as those two go no complaints from our end Thumbs Up

Neither one of them are having troubles that I’m aware of either. Well done!
to the victor
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:24pm
I'm willing to believe that mare's are not cycling AND stallions aren't firing.  I am in northern NSW and my foals are incredibly late this year and I have not sent any mare out as they do not look as forward as they did last year. The neighbors' are reporting the same with their cows.  Last year 80% took on their first cover and I had 5x due in this September including 6th & 7th, but no foals until recently.

I don't know if it is the (hopefully) tail end of the drought or the cold, long winter and cold night's we were getting.  We had green pick but delayed grass growth.  Great grass now and I had 2x delayed September foals last night and another mare due September is waxing tonight.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:28pm
Nature knows best i.e. kangaroos notably don't conceive when a drought's ahead. Human intervention is only good for so much.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Mumtaz Mumtaz wrote:

I'm willing to believe that mare's are not cycling AND stallions aren't firing.  I am in northern NSW and my foals are incredibly late this year and I have not sent any mare out as they do not look as forward as they did last year. The neighbors' are reporting the same with their cows.  Last year 80% took on their first cover and I had 5x due in this September including 6th & 7th, but no foals until recently.

I don't know if it is the (hopefully) tail end of the drought or the cold, long winter and cold night's we were getting.  We had green pick but delayed grass growth.  Great grass now and I had 2x delayed September foals last night and another mare due September is waxing tonight.

A few of the boys are down to one cover a day - I know a vet who sent 3 up from Victoria all ready to be covered just to be told their mares are not ovulating. Studs need to be upfront about where they’re at.
to the victor
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 7:54pm
True.

From what I have seen of the many photos of Victorian foals, they have had great pasture since late winter.  Their mares would surely be cycling, unless the year is even more stuffed up than I thought it was.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:47pm
Why is one particular,  major ,  stud having fertility issues with 3 or 4 of its stallions ??    They cant be that unlucky that 3 or 4 of their top stallions are firing blanks.  What are they doing thats causing this problem ???  
animals before people.
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:33pm
Aquis? Just gelatie out of luck.   I feel for all their staff
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:38pm
Please tell me Shooting to Win is going good.    

As for Kangaroos, there are more her on Wattle Brae than mares. Give them a artificial water supply and these pests thrive. They eat every bit of green feed coming through after recent light falls.

As for mares going overdue and aborting late term pregnancies it is prevalent on the downs. This season will go down as one of the worst on record in my 21 years on this farm
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by ianb ianb wrote:

No .   Hunter Valley.
animals before people.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 12:04am

Are they having issues with more than the 2?
to the victor
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Are they having issues with more than the 2?

Is one of the two the same as last year?
Hazyview View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazyview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:28pm
Sometime fertility insurance requirements make these things a lot more difficult than you think. 

Another big issues is that on most farms shareholder mares get priority for cover spots, which I think is fair enough considering the investment they have to put in.

And if you're breeding to an older stallion that's the risk that you take.

It would not be in the interests of any farm to be 'pulling the wool' given their reliance on repeat business. Any that are would be playing with fire.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:27pm
That’s funny as I’ve heard of shareholders complaining that farms stuff them around and try to dictate what sort of mares they can mate to their stallions. Probably depends on the farm.
to the victor
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:14pm
Well I'm getting screwed from another angle down in Vic.

Sire is very busy, and if you miss out on a cycle they say you get preference next time around.  But you don't, they find some excuse not to serve the mare, eg she has fluid.  Except she's always checked out before leaving home so we know this is rubbish.

And of top of that they don't have boarders, so you have to walk in.  Traditionally it's walk in, service, walk out.  But not with this mob where more often than not you have to leave the mare there for a day or so before pick-up because they're juggling services/mares.  So your walk in costs double every time the mare visits the stud whether she's served or not. 

Not a happy camper, but can't complain to the stud as that'll just lead to more excuses, and continued lack of proper service.  It's called the f8ck-them attitude, and needless to say I'm not prepared to pin the tail on the donkey here for that very reason.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:50pm
West ,North or South of Kilmore ?
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:51pm
If you are in the q to Pierro & the like in NSW you will encounter a traffic jam.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:54pm
And I know this is not horse related but fertility in large ewe flocks on station properties will drop from approx. 100% to 70% in severe drought
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

And I know this is not horse related but fertility in large ewe flocks on station properties will drop from approx. 100% to 70% in severe drought

I’m sure there are plenty of drought issues with the horses mating, but let your clientele know so they can make other arrangements! If you booked 180 and your stallion is serving one a day, you are costing mare owners money and it’s a low act!
to the victor
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

West ,North or South of Kilmore ?

Nor nor east but mostly north.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 9:30pm
Thought so. Many complaints re stallion/mare management in the last couple of years 7 not from small breeders only.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Mumtaz Mumtaz wrote:

Delayed grass growth makes a lot of sense.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 7:26pm
Interesting string of comments on one of James Bester's recent twitter posts about November and December foals... seems there are a number of unhappy campers as far as Coolmore is concerned Confused
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:33pm
I know of a few reasonably sized breeding operations that as of last week had as little as 15-20% of their mares with a 15 day positive.  Will be an interesting year for the yearling sales in 2021 if the trend is more widespread. 
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

I know of a few reasonably sized breeding operations that as of last week had as little as 15-20% of their mares with a 15 day positive.  Will be an interesting year for the yearling sales in 2021 if the trend is more widespread. 

Would you put any decent mare in your band in foal if you were not having the same issues?
to the victor
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:05pm
This is exactly what we are being told. Although I do think well of the person I’m dealing with at the agistment facility. He did ask me early on if we were interested in any other stallions, but we declined at that stage as we are so keen on DF. She just went to him for the 3rd time and waiting on word..
How does grass availability and droughts affect brood mares which are hard fed?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:12pm
I wonder if Nature overrides artificial factors when dictating whether the season is sufficient to carry a foal full term?
Most other species are season affected.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>