Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m)
    Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:57am

On Saturday at Caulfield – all eyes will be on the four Group 1s: Caulfield Guineas, Thousand Guineas, Caulfield Stakes and Toorak Handicap, but there is another interesting race worth keeping an eye on. The Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) will also be run. This race has a rich history and has at times provided winners of the big staying races later on in the spring. There are a few unique facts about the Herbert Power and it’s link to the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. The first is that the winner of the Herbert Power gets an automatic entry into the Caulfield Cup and is exempt from the Caulfield Cup ballot/order of entry. The second interesting fact is that the winner of the Herbert Power CAN NOT receive a weight penalty for the Caulfield Cup – it is a “penalty free race” for the Caulfield Cup. However the winner of the Herbert Power can be given a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup at the discretion of the handicapper.

There has been several name changes to the Herbert Power Stakes over the years:

1898–1919 - Eclipse Stakes
1920–1992 - Herbert Power Handicap
1993–1996 - Quick-Eze Stakes
1997 - Perrier Mineral Water Stakes
1998–1999 - Perrier Stakes
2000 - Herbert Power Stakes
2001–08 - Winning Edge Presentations Stakes
2009 onwards - Herbert Power Stakes

The Following horses have achieved the Herbert Power Stakes/Caulfield Cup Double:

2007: Master O'Reilly

1970: Beer Street

1955: Rising Fast

1953: My Hero

1907: Poseidon

1906: Poseidon

1905: Marvel Loch

Other Information:

2017: Lord Fandango won the Hedbert Power (53kg) and went on to run 4th in the Caulfield Cup (50kg). Boom Time ran 4th in the Herbert Power (56.5kg) and went on to win the Caulfield Cup (52kg)

The following horses have achieved the Herbert Power Stakes/Melbourne Cup Double:

1999: Rogan Josh

1978: Arwon

1976: Van Der Hum

1973: Gala Supreme

1944: Sirius

1942: Colonus

1906: Poseidon

Other Information:

Since 1970, the following Melbourne Cup winners have run in the Herbert Power Stakes before going on to win the Cup in the same year, below is how they performed in the Herbert Power Stakes:

2015: Prince Of Penzance - 8th

2014: Protectionist - 4th

2009: Shocking - 2nd

1999: Rogan Josh - 1st

1986: At Talaq - 4th

1981: Just A Dash - 7th

1980: Beldale Ball - 2nd

1978: Arwon - 1st

1976: Van Der Hum - 1st

1973: Gala Supreme - 1st

1970: Baghdad Note - 2nd

Other Information

2005: Leica Falcon won the Herbert Power and then went on to run 4th in the Melbourne Cup.

2004: Zazzman ran 3rd in the Herbert Power (then called the Winning Edge Presentation Stakes), and went on to run 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

1996: Skybeau ran 3rd in the Herbert Power Stakes (then called the Quick Eze Stakes), and went on to run 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

So....who is your tip to win the race this year?

Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 3:43pm
This is the trickiest race of the day Jamal.

If you knew the overseas horses had settled in then they are clearly superior.

Big Duke comes through two strong Sydney staying races. Brimham Rocks tests out the Metrop form, and local stayers, against the second level internationals.

Rising Red and Odeon get to test out the Night's Watch, Naturalism form line.

Gallic Chieftain ran a blinder against The Taj Mahal.

For what it is worth I have the internationals rated in the following order No.2 ahead of No.7, No.4 and No.3. If the 2 has settled in his good overs at $16.

This is one of the best editions of this race I have seen.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:11pm
Of the locals, Big Duke was given no chance at all in The Metropolitan.
Was a shocking ride, with clear running on Sat he is the one to beat

Of the internationals they all could win without surprising me
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

This is the trickiest race of the day Jamal.

If you knew the overseas horses had settled in then they are clearly superior.

Big Duke comes through two strong Sydney staying races. Brimham Rocks tests out the Metrop form, and local stayers, against the second level internationals.

Rising Red and Odeon get to test out the Night's Watch, Naturalism form line.

Gallic Chieftain ran a blinder against The Taj Mahal.

For what it is worth I have the internationals rated in the following order No.2 ahead of No.7, No.4 and No.3. If the 2 has settled in his good overs at $16.

This is one of the best editions of this race I have seen.

Why no mention of LORD FANDANGO V? I have him well in front of most of the field. Still can't understand the $11 for this horse, crazy odds imo...
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:45pm
I am pretty confident Gallic Chieftain is the horse to beat. His run the other day was fantastic.

The imports are good but they are not superior.

Luck will play a big role.

reductio ad absurdum
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:57pm
I had a nice win on him in the Warrnambool Cup and then pretty much gave it all back during his QLD prep and 1st up at the Valley. I again had a sneaky on him last start and did my dough again.
He's a great e/w prospect and I'm keen to have a saver on him too djebel. 

It looks a good race to back something in at decent odds. I'm gravitating to have a few more multis going into this race due to the odds available. 
YoMama View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
Terrific post Jamal. It is posts like these that I still stick my nose around this site for a gander occasionally. I really like Gallic Chieftain too but the o/s horses concern me as I historically have trouble rating them correctly so I'll only have a small play in some exotics and just enjoy the race.
Yo Mama's so nasty, I talked to her over the computer and she gave me a virus.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by YoMama YoMama wrote:

Terrific post Jamal. It is posts like these that I still stick my nose around this site for a gander occasionally. I really like Gallic Chieftain too but the o/s horses concern me as I historically have trouble rating them correctly so I'll only have a small play in some exotics and just enjoy the race.

Cheers mate.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:08pm
One of my friend said:

"Whoever wins the Herbert Power, will go on to win the Melbourne Cup and Mackinnon Stakes"

Its a big predicion and a difficult treble for a horse to acbieve.

I think my friend has high hopes because he said its a strong Herbert Power field.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

One of my friend said:

"Whoever wins the Herbert Power, will go on to win the Melbourne Cup and Mackinnon Stakes"

I think my friend has high hopes because he said its a strong Herbert Power field.

He could be correct about the Cup but I highly doubt the treble. No trainer will run the Melbourne Cup winner the following Saturday.

reductio ad absurdum
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

One of my friend said:

He could be correct about the Cup but I highly doubt the treble. No trainer will run the Melbourne Cup winner the following Saturday.

No horse from the Melbourne Cup will back up into the Mackinnon. That’d be silly.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:42am
Well even a horse doing the treble when the Mackinnon was run on Derby day would be tough for a horse to achieve.

I just think my friend maybe over estimating this year's Herbert Power field a little too much perhaps
Tempt Me Not View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tempt Me Not Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:36pm
I've been patiently waiting until Rising Red gets out to a suitable distance and today's the day.
Am hoping Linda is super positive out of the gates and either rolls to the lead or at least on pace and makes it a dead set staying test and will run the rest off their legs.

** last time he drew barrier 11 was his last win :) **
Gooree Stud
 Post Reply Post Reply