Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Utzon (NZ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Utzon (NZ)
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:10pm
White filly. Trialled nicely this morning at Cranbourne.
https://www.racing.com/form/2018-10-08/cranbourne-trn-trial/race/7/result

Edited by Dizzy - 08 Oct 2018 at 6:12pm
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
Nicely named.  By Charmed Spirit from The Opera House.

Lucky the trial wasn't in Sydney.  Someone would have put a logo on her.

Jørn Utzon with a model of his late 1950s design for the Sydney Opera House.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:47pm
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:44pm
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 5:35am
I grew up watching a group horse trained by Les Bridge with the same name. How is this allowed to be used again only 15 years later ?
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

I grew up watching a group horse trained by Les Bridge with the same name. How is this allowed to be used again only 15 years later ?

Names can be used again 17 years after the birth of the previous horse.
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:07pm
The gelding by Nothin' Leica Dane was registered in Australia & the filly by Charm Spirit was registered in New Zealand.

Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:40pm
Didn't see this thread till now.

I have this horse marked in my blackbook and it'll only get better over further.
Very keen to have crack each way Saturday anyway but definitely one to follow.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:38pm
Out of a 3/4 sister to Might and Power - you bet she'll get over further.  

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Out of a 3/4 sister to Might and Power - you bet she'll get over further.  

Won over 2100m @Wyong, good track, only had a few starts
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:17am

This is Yukichan (2005) the best white thoroughbred to date.  She was a multiple stakes winner in Japan and as far as I know the only white stakes winner in the history of the breed. 

Like Utzon she was the daughter of a white mare :  Shirayukihime (who was by Sunday Silence).  While Yukichan (and Utzon) inherited their colour from their dams. Shirayukihime and The Opera House did not.  Their colour is a genetic mutation rather than a genetic inheritance.

They aren't greys of any description and they aren't albinos.  They are dominant whites.

Not all Dominant White horses are pure white.  Yukichan's half sister Buchiko is a good example.

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:30am

This is Yukichan (2005) the best white thoroughbred to date.  She was a multiple stakes winner in Japan and as far as I know the only white stakes winner in the history of the breed. 

Like Utzon she was the daughter of a white mare :  Shirayukihime (who was by Sunday Silence).  While Yukichan (and Utzon) inherited their colour from their dams. Shirayukihime and The Opera House did not.  Their colour is a genetic mutation rather than a genetic inheritance.

They aren't greys of any description and they aren't albinos.  They are dominant whites.

Not all Dominant White horses are pure white.  Yukichan's half sister Buchiko is a good example.

Buchiko won 4 races and was has headed for stakes success before she was retired after a barrier incident.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:33am
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:37am
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:44am
While I have had coloured genes/horses explained to me, and tried to read and digest it all, it never sinks in. 
But its very interesting how it all works and what makes them that way.
Some of the coloured TBs that Peta has or breeds at Winning Colours Farm are spectacular.  But just to me they never seem to be race horses.  They seem too pretty.
There was a white TB stallion out at Baradine about 22/23 or so years ago now, but blowed if I can think of his name.
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:49am
Hope she wins although I'm following Champagne Boom from the sales.  Had a bit of luck with her female line before.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:05pm
I reckon Martello Towers must have been close to an albino, his nickname in the stable was Pinky, at the track of a morning you would see him walk out of the hosing dock and the pigment in the skin was very obvious , he was a bit of a character and always caught the eye.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:10pm
Was he the one that almost died in the floods of the Hawkesbury Carioca.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Was he the one that almost died in the floods of the Hawkesbury Carioca.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Yes he was furious, a photo of this shivering grey on a little bit of high ground I will never forget, he went to TJ after being with Peter Lawson all his earlier life ( he trained Evening Peal 56 MC winner) I think the flood done damage to his air intake swimming to get away and probably panicking never the same after that , I think he won the AJC Derby too.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:50pm
I seem to recall that he was very badly stripped in the Victoria Derby and he never fully recaptured his best form after that.

He is clearly a grey*.   He wasn't albino.  

That is the point about Dominant Whites.  They aren't albinos either, and nor are they grey.  There is nothing lacking in white horses.  As I said it is a genetic mutation - not an inheritance - in the first instance (i.e. The Opera House) that can subsequently be inherited from the horse with the original mutation.  There are virtually no greys in Utzon's pedigree.

(* greys are often born with a majority of coloured hairs which lose their pigment over time.  Gunsynd for example was quite dark as a juvenile and lightened through his racing career.  By the end of his life he was 'virtually' white.)

Gunsynd at stud.

Another good example is Surround.  He she was as a filly...

and he she was as broodmare later in life...

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:56pm
2 of my favourites tontonan. Thanks for the pics
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:28pm
Yes, thanks both Cari and Toto,  very interesting stories and photos.
Where did Martello Towers end up, OTT ??
animals before people.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:21pm
As  a sire in WA.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:31pm
From memory Tontonan he went mad in the gates whacked his head ( he was a bit iffy at the best of times) he had won the two guinea races and the Derby and I think he was favourite in the VRC Derby , Sky High won the Derby that day.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:15pm
Close....but no cigar.  Sky High was the following year.  in 1959 the Victoria Derby was won by Travel Boy, Martello Towers was last of 7 as 10/9fav. Curiously the best horse to come out of the race was Dhaulagiiri - and he finished 2nd last.

I'll need to to do some research on why Martello blew it.  
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:23pm
We are both wrong if Jack Pollard is right.

He claims that Martello Towers lashed out in the barriers jsut before they jumped and badly stripped his back legs, returning to scale with blood pouring from his wounds.  Pollard also confirms that laranyx issues affected the horse after he won the George Main Stakes in record time as his form fell away.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:27pm
That could of been after his escape from the floods.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:32pm
Max Presnell wrote :

" Back in November 1961, the Nepean River broke its banks, washing thoroughbreds, spelling in nearby paddocks, around the countryside. AJC Derby winner Martello Towers, a grey, was washed away.  The staying power of Martello Towers also wasn't limited to the Randwick mile and a half and he finally made high ground after being missing for 10 hours. "

In all he had 37 starts for 11 wins 8 seconds 4 thirds and $44,806
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

We are both wrong if Jack Pollard is right.

He claims that Martello Towers lashed out in the barriers jsut before they jumped and badly stripped his back legs, returning to scale with blood pouring from his wounds.  Pollard also confirms that laranyx issues affected the horse after he won the George Main Stakes in record time as his form fell away.

Yes that's more like Tontonan exactly what happened , I knew he went off in the gates, I remember this horse from his very first start at Canterbury he was rather "warm" next start at Randwick huge plonk I think a big bookie was involved and one as he liked , watched at the track many times , enjoy your posts mate always great to converse fwiw.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:07pm
* Won...think I'm losing it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>