Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bill Hayden explains why he decided to be baptised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bill Hayden explains why he decided to be baptised

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Hayden explains why he decided to be baptised
    Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:10am
Apart from being Australia's second longest-serving governor-general and introducing the first version of Medicare, Bill Hayden is probably best known for being a vocal and even hostile atheist.

Despite this, Gough Whitlam once told him, "Comrade, the Catholic Church will get you in the end".

It seems he was right.

Much to everyone's surprise, Mr Hayden was baptised last month at the age of 85.

Mr Hayden was treasurer and minister for social security in the Whitlam Government, foreign minister under Bob Hawke and then appointed governor-general in 1989.

One aspect of that last appointment caused quite a stir — the atheist and one-time republican was the first governor-general to make an affirmation, rather than an oath on the Bible.

John Howard said appointing Mr Hayden governor-general was "a bit like appointing an atheist as Archbishop of Canterbury".

'I still have questions'

Mr Hayden used to be "straight out opposed to religion".

"My father was a very bitter anti-religionist. I think that got to me," he told 7.30.

"I'd seen a film in Brisbane at the Regent theatre one day and it was a thing on the Vatican and they had all these gold figures — seraphim and cherubim.

"I said they should be dragging them out of the ceiling, melting them and distributing them amongst the poor to help them. They're just so super rich they don't care.

"It drove me mad."

His antipathy to the church was tested when he and his wife Dallas lost their eldest daughter Michaela in 1966.

She was just five when she was knocked down by a car as she ran across a road.

Despite the help of a kind priest, Mr Hayden said he could not find solace in prayer.

"I was worried if I did it would be dishonest. I had to be honest," he said.

"I got letters from people who'd say, 'don't worry, don't ask yourself questions why God would do this in his inscrutable manner, he knows best'.

"And I thought you don't want a God, you want a Moloch that devours infants.

"I think I was certifiably insane in that period. Dallas had much more strength than me."

But it was four years ago when things really took a turn.

Mr Hayden spent seven months in hospital after a stroke, which gave him a lot of time to think.

"Don't think I was an atheist just by chance. I thought a lot about it, and I still have questions," he said.

The inspiration of Sister Angela Mary

Perhaps the biggest inspiration for his conversion has been Sister Angela Mary Doyle, administrator of the Mater Hospital in Brisbane for 23 years.

Their friendship over 40 years has been a communion of shared values and often bitter public battles to defend them.

"I've known of him since 1973," Sister Angela Mary told 7.30.

"It was a time when the national insurance scheme, Medibank, was being introduced. It was Bill Hayden's responsibility to promote it and promulgate it.

"I saw a man that was very honourable.

"People who were against it said to me — I met them at hospital conferences — one of them looked at me and said, 'And I thought you had brains'. It was very bad."

Sister Angela Mary said she took on the fights beside Mr Hayden because "what's right is right".

"We did many things that could have done us harm, for instance in helping the people who had AIDS.

"The premier of the day said nobody should help them. But we could not neglect people in need in order to make our own position secure."

She said she thought Mr Hayden's baptism "was a natural outcome of the goodness that he had lived through in his life".

"What Bill did the other day was not to draw attention to himself but to remind people, I think, to remember God."

'I've always been here, I shouldn't have wondered off'

Mr Hayden says the baptism ceremony meant a lot to him.

"When I went into the church that day, it was a hot day outside, and inside was very cool. It felt like a sanctuary, and I felt elevated in my chest, it was sort of ethereal," he said.

"And I thought, 'I've always been here, I shouldn't have wandered off'.

"I do believe Jesus was such a magnificent man, he suffered for our shortcomings.

"Christianity is a religion of love. I couldn't ask for more than that."

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:36am
He's always been a sellout before if someone offers him a sweet ride.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:38am
Plenty take the insurance option later in life, quite understandable
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 3:43pm
Related image
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

LOL 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

LOL 

So God is ok with being suckered like that? He sounds like rather a vengeful, wrathful old lunatic. I would not have thought he would be happy with last-legs atheists taking the p1ss out of him.Big smile
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 11:12am
You have the wrong idea of God.

The vengeful, wrathful, lunatics are man. God is there to pick up the pieces. As with Bill Hayden. Thats a nice thought, dont you think?

Otherwise, if God has the power to shape history, for example, i'd be getting the lotto numbers from himLOL

Is why many chose not to believe; because its Gods fault....

And on the God note, i admire how other religions worship. Western society could learn a thing or two from their devotion.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

LOL 

So God is ok with being suckered like that? He sounds like rather a vengeful, wrathful old lunatic. I would not have thought he would be happy with last-legs atheists taking the p1ss out of him.Big smile

Well he picked the right religion. As I understand it if you genuinely repent and accept god in the Catholic faith all your sins are washed away.  Not saying he has sinned lol.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 12:58pm
This article I've just read seems to be quite appropriate here Big smile

What Happens When We Die

I have been asked to explain what I know about what happens when we die. I have done lots of Readings where I contacted loved ones on the Other Side. The information I have received from them has been very interesting. I have also had my daughter, Samantha, tell me a lot about her experiences with crossing over.

In the Christian religion, we are taught that when we die there will be pearly gates, streets paved with gold and Angels with trumpets. This sets people up for much confusion when they die and that is not what they see.

When a person dies, they usually find themselves standing outside their body looking at it and wondering what is happening to them. It seems to them that they are still right here. They can see all that is going on but other people don’t seem to see them. They can’t make themselves heard. They don’t understand what has happened, they don’t feel any different. They think they are still alive. It can be very scary if you are expecting the Christian heaven.

Many times, these souls will connect to the first human they see.

This is how a possession can occur. They don’t know what else to do, so they connect to a human form so they can survive. They do not mean any harm, they just don’t know what they are supposed to do.

Usually, Angels will appear to the person, but many people are afraid of Angels and don’t want them around. The Angels cannot interfere, only help the person cross over if the person wants it. If the person doesn’t know that they need to go with the Angels, they don’t know what the Angels are there for.

Many times, our loved ones who have already crossed over will meet us, but if the person has never met Uncle George, they will have no reason to want to follow him anywhere. This can leave the person stuck in this dimension. I have worked with souls who after 20 years still had not crossed over out of fear.

Other souls will instinctively know that they need to cross over.

They will go with Uncle George or the Angels who come for them. There is usually a great homecoming party when the person arrives on the Other Side.

Many will go into the hospital on the Other Side.

If a person was ill before they died, or took a lot of drugs, they will enter a hospital on the Other Side to be healed. They may have so many drugs in their system that they don’t realize they are dead for several days until the drugs leave their energy field. Their energy body will be healed of whatever dis-ease they had.

After a person dies, they will usually visit their family members. They want to make sure that their loved ones will be ok. They want us to be happy for them. This was the main thing we heard from Samantha after she left her body. She did not want us to grieve for her, she wanted us to be happy that she was released from her body. I tried to explain to her that we needed to grieve, but she could not understand why.

They will always attend their funeral.

They want to see who shows up and what is said about them. They also want to be there to comfort their loved ones.

After death, the soul is instantly transported to wherever they think of. If they think of a loved one, they are instantly with them. If they think of fishing, they are instantly sitting on a river bank fishing.

The soul will create its own version of heaven.

For Samantha, it was an English Manor. For one young man I spoke with, it was a hunting cabin. For another young man, it was a cattle ranch. We all get to create whatever will be heaven for us.

Samantha spent a lot of time when she first died partying and drinking because she was not able to do any of that in her disabled body. That was her heaven.

I have never spoken to anyone who was in ‘hell’ or who had negative events happen to them when they crossed over. Since we can create anything we want, I am sure that can be created if the person feels they deserve it.

After being on the Other Side for a while and settling in, the soul is expected to choose a ‘job’. Some choose to work with babies who cross over, rocking them and loving them. Others choose to help teens or the elderly. Some prefer to work with animals.

After a time, the soul can choose to reincarnate. This can be as short as days after the body dies or centuries later. It is all the choice of each soul. The soul chooses the lessons that it wants to experience in their new life. They choose what sex they will be, who their parents will be, etc.

When someone close to you dies, always say a prayer for them.

Ask the Angels to help them to their next level of development so that the Angels will be able to help them. Give them the assistance they need to move on easily.

http://askclaudia.com/what-happens-when-we-die/

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Oct 2018 at 12:59pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

LOL 

I know I'll be OK, can't make cheese, but I am meek.

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
 Post Reply Post Reply