Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Melbourne Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Slammington Slammington wrote:

I don't have any issue with the order of entry being different year to year as that is entirely dependent on the different nominations. However, I am surprised he didn't receive a higher weight this year for having run 3rd in the Cup.

I assume that he was penalised last year for his win in the Lexus so his weight in last year's race took that win into account. But you would think a placing in the Cup would be worth at least a kilo when you are otherwise as low in the weights as he is.

Ispolini is only a G3 winner in Dubai yet he got 55kg and is in the field. Rostropovich, Finche also got more. It just seems a bit strange. The comparison with Trap for Fools may not be the most apposite because he is a G1 wfa winner beating an Irish Derby winner so a completely different profile.

But if I was Charlie Fellowes I would be pretty dark about having to come all the way down here and win the Lexus again to get a start.

A Prince Of Arran did it receive a weight penalty for his win in the Hotham Hcp. His weight of 53.5kg was the highest weight carried by a Hotham winner in the Melbourne Cup in 20 years
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Originally posted by Slammington Slammington wrote:

I don't have any issue with the order of entry being different year to year as that is entirely dependent on the different nominations. However, I am surprised he didn't receive a higher weight this year for having run 3rd in the Cup.

I assume that he was penalised last year for his win in the Lexus so his weight in last year's race took that win into account. But you would think a placing in the Cup would be worth at least a kilo when you are otherwise as low in the weights as he is.

Ispolini is only a G3 winner in Dubai yet he got 55kg and is in the field. Rostropovich, Finche also got more. It just seems a bit strange. The comparison with Trap for Fools may not be the most apposite because he is a G1 wfa winner beating an Irish Derby winner so a completely different profile.

But if I was Charlie Fellowes I would be pretty dark about having to come all the way down here and win the Lexus again to get a start.

A Prince Of Arran did it receive a weight penalty for his win in the Hotham Hcp. His weight of 53.5kg was the highest weight carried by a Hotham winner in the Melbourne Cup in 20 years

I meant 53kg and still the highest weight carried by a Hotham winner in the Melbourne Cup in 20 years.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 6:57pm
Sorry for spelling error. I also meant to say that A Prince Of Arran DID NOT receive a weight penalty for his win in the Hotham Hcp
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:19pm
Okay I understand that trap For Fools is a group 1 winner, but if you go and read the order of entry that is not the race that the have rated is position on. They have used his second to Ventura Storm in the Moonee Valley Gold Cup as the benchmark.

Now it might have been a good run, but if he has been weighted using that as a guide, and not the Emirates win, then he should have at least a half kilo less than A Prince Of Arran.

But he is not the only one who for me is above where they should sit. Il Paradiso is being positioned on his 3rd in the Lonsdale Cup, which to me is just stupid as this is one of the races, which people will point to and say why is this horse even in the field, placing in some unknown European Group 2.

Django Freeman is being positioned on his 2nd in the German Derby. Now seriously how integral is this event to the Melbourne Cup, so we now have another horse who gets in due to a performance in a race most Australians could not care less about and which has no significant meaning as far as a form reference for the race.

Hunting Horn is being positioned on a unplaced run in a race which has proven less than relevant to this race, all because the race has a good deal of prizemoney and the VRC have made it a international qualifier. So in other words he gets pitch forked into this race over a local who may have earned a spot, or a international who at least has shown he races well here and again has earned his way into this years race, but may miss out.

If I was the stable I would tell the VRC, to shove their race, and aim him at the Vase in Hing Kong.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 7:22pm
Sorry TFF has not been weighted using the Moonee Valley Cup run just positioned in the order of entry.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:33pm
Torcedor coming to Australia, joining Paul Preusker
This space has been intentionally left blank
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:37am
Nice win by the 3 yr old filly Search For A Song in the G1 Irish St Leger. Favourite Cross Counter seemed to struggle a little bit (ran 4th), he looked a bit flat. Melbourne Cup top weight (Kew Gardens) finished off strongly to get 2nd. Thoughts?
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Nice win by the 3 yr old filly Search For A Song in the G1 Irish St Leger. Favourite Cross Counter seemed to struggle a little bit (ran 4th), he looked a bit flat. Melbourne Cup top weight (Kew Gardens) finished off strongly to get 2nd. Thoughts?

Cross Counter sat wide most the trip. I thought he stuck on well enough. Winner was well in with 56kgs as a 3 year old, won well enough all the same. For the Melbourne Cup contenders I thought Cross Counter was the best of them considering the run it had. 
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:47pm
Kew Gardens looked STRONG on the line. 58kgs might not be enough to stop him....
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm
IRISH ST LEGER WINNERS IN MELBOURNE CUP:

1993: Vintage Crop, 55.5kg
1st - defeated Te Akau Nick by 3len (56kg)

1994: Vintage Crop, 60kg
7th - beaten 6.7len to Jeune (56.5kg)

1996: Oscar Schindler, 56.5kg
15th - beaten 8.3len to Saintly (55.5kg)

2000: Arctic Owl, 56.5kg
5th - beaten 4.9len to Brew (49kg)

2002: Vinnie Roe, 59kg
4th - beaten 3.9len to Media Puzzle (52.5kg)

2004: Vinnie Roe, 58kg
2nd - beaten 1.25len to Makybe Diva (55.5kg)

2008: Septimus, 58kg
18th - beaten 20.6len to Viewed (53kg)

2011: Jukebox Jury, 57kg
20th - beaten 16.65len to Dunaden (54.5kg)

2013: Voleuse de Coeurs, 54kg
10th - beaten 7.95len to Fiorente (55.5kg)

2016: Wicklow Brave, 56kg
22nd - beaten 24.4len to Almandin (52kg)

2019: ?????
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:54pm
2019 winner not coming to Melbourne
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by mikey mikey wrote:

Kew Gardens looked STRONG on the line. 58kgs might not be enough to stop him....

Pretty sure that Kew Gardens isn’t travelling down to Aust.

Not sure if Aidan will have a Cup runner this year, given his 3yo Il Paradiso gave in very meekly in the 2900m English St Leger
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:03pm
Anyone know what is the list of European 3 year olds coming to the Cup this year?
The ones that are looking strong, have had solid performances??
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 12:06am
To be honest the NH 3yos this year don’t appeal at all to me. As per Order of Entry):

Django Freeman (10th) - German Derby runner up, who has already arrived here with Rob Hickmott, maybe running in Herbert Power Hcp as lead up

Constantinople (12th) - will go to David Hayes & Logician franked the firm by winning the St Leger. Not sure if he’ll have a local lead up run?

Il Paradiso (13th), Technician (26th), & Dashing Willoughby (24th) - all failed on Saturday in the St Leger, so none of them would bother coming down

Of the rest, Norway & Buckhurst ran the quinella in a 2500m G3 in Ireland but I’ve heard Buckhurst is going for a spell & Norway is 74th in the order of entry, so not sure how he even gets close to making the field.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:21pm
Racenet is reporting that Willie Mullins has done a deal with terry Henderson of OTI fame, to bring his mare True Self out for her main mission being the Caulfield Cup.

The deal was done because the owners could not afford the costs of getting her to Melbourne and Mullins believes she is a great chance in the 2400m race, and so OTI have leased the horse for her Australian journey, and so they will pay all costs, while splitting the prizemoney, that True Self wins.

True Self ran sixth beaten 3 lengths in the Ebor behind Mustajeer, and she will meet his significantly better at the weights at Caulfield. She is 51st in the order of entry for the 2400m race.

The fact Mullins, has such a determination to get the mare here, must be a tip in itself.

cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 2:27pm
Hi there guys:
Just curious to see- where roughly would you want to be sitting in the peaking order to be nearly guaranteed a run in the cup.
How far down the list can you generally be and hopefully still get a run.

cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 2:28pm
Hi there guys:
No lastest news with the cup at all.
I guess it’s all steady steady.at this stage.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 2:57pm
We'll know more when first acceptances come out on Oct 1st
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:55am
Really hoping Archie Alexander is able to cuddle Mosh Music into a Cup start, but I think he would've preferred to win his way in via the Bart Cummings, rather than having to rely on a penalty from the Herbert Power or MV Gold Cup. I don't think she's the sort of animal that would appreciate the Lexus/Cup back up.

It looks like they're going to stick with Declan Bates & hope she gets a Cup start with 52kg... Not sure either of those things are great strategically, but good luck to them. She is absolutely flying.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 9:02am
Hi guys:
Just checking are the first acceptances for the cup out tomorrow or no Tuesday 8th October?.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 7:16am
Hey guys:
It’s down to 80 entries are left for the cup.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:28pm
A 25% share in Caulfield and Melbourne Cup contender Mustajeer - a recent winner of the prestigious Ebor Handicap in the UK - will be offered through Inglis Digital's Online Sale platform next Tuesday and Wednesday.

The exciting import, who arrived at Werribee last week, has been transferred to trainer Kris Lees in Australia and will race in the Australian Bloodstock colours.

Mustajeer, who is a G1 placegetter in Europe behind the champion Magical in this year’s Tattersalls Gold Cup and split leading European stayers Master of Reality and Southern France in the Vintage Crop Stakes in April, is currently rated $15 with TAB Fixed Odds for the Caulfield Cup and $18 for the Melbourne Cup.

Champion jockey Damien Oliver has been booked for the Caulfield Cup ride, for which the horse has been appointed 55.5kg.

2019 Ebor Handicap - won by Mustajeer
Mustajeer (Medician) is a winner of four of his 19 starts and raced into Cups calculations with his impressive victory in the Ebor at York on August 24, when trained by leading Irish trainer Ger Lyons.

The Ebor Handicap has been a key lead up race for Caulfield and Melbourne Cup raiders, with four of the past five Ebor winners lining up on the first Tuesday in November.

Ebor winners that to have performed well in either the Cups during the past decade include Purple Moon (2nd in 2007 Melbourne Cup), All Too Good (1st in 2008 Caulfield Cup), Heartbreak City (2nd in 2016 Melbourne Cup) and Nakeeta (5th in 2017 Melbourne Cup).

This year’s Caulfield Cup is worth a record $5m while the Melbourne Cup prizemoney has been boosted again to $8m.

Mustajeer will be offered on behalf of Gaelic Bloodstock.

Mustajeer’s new trainer Kris Lees said it was a great thrill to be training the world-class galloper, who has settled in very well since arriving at Werribee.

“He’s a lovely looking horse that seems quite adaptable in his racing style, whether it’s forward or back, plus he’s performed on firm ground which he found in the Ebor and he beat home Prince of Arran who performed very well here previously, so I think he meets all the credentials,’’ Lees said.

“This is a fantastic opportunity to buy a share in a horse that’s about to race in the Caulfield and highly likely to progress into the Melbourne Cup.”

“He’ll go to Caulfield for a gallop probably the Tuesday before the Caulfield Cup, he’ll be stabled there that week to give him the best chance to familiarise himself with the surroundings and he’ll have a gallop there with Damien Oliver aboard.’’

Inglis Digital Business Manager Nick Melmeth said the sale was a coup for Online Auction platform.

“It’s also a great chance for someone to buy into a horse with Mustajeer’s profile – who is not only qualified for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cup – but is a live chance in both races,’’ Melmeth said.

Bidding on the 25% Mustajeer share will open 9am (AEDT) Tuesday, October 8 with Final Countdown commencing at 5pm (AEDT) Wednesday, October 9.

Terms and Conditions will be available on the listing.

Interested parties must register to bid at www.inglisdigital.com.

For further information, contact Inglis Digital on 1300 711 683.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by cotto1 cotto1 wrote:

Hey guys: It’s down to 80 entries are left for the cup.

Cheers cotto.  Thumbs Up
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:36pm
I thought there was a thread for Mustajeer, but I can not find it, so I will put it here.

There is a 25% share of Mustajeer being offered in an online Inglis Auction next week.

The European owners are looking to offload the share.

So how much are we thinking? Qualified for both cups, and with Oliver on board for the first leg. $200,000, for me would seem a good guide.   
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 9:21pm
whats everyone like?

pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I thought there was a thread for Mustajeer, but I can not find it, so I will put it here.

There is a 25% share of Mustajeer being offered in an online Inglis Auction next week.

The European owners are looking to offload the share.

So how much are we thinking? Qualified for both cups, and with Oliver on board for the first leg. $200,000, for me would seem a good guide.   

Consider what I believe is being paid for stayers in the UK by Australian purchases aimed at getting to the Cup, I would say $200k for a 25% share seems light. Considering he's (A) fully qualified (B) well in the market with a huge chance and (C) already here.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 11:31pm
I thought so pr but just started somewhere.

I think this ma be the way of the future. The guys who owned Harbor City did it to cover the travelling costs and with the second prizemoney it made it very worthwhile.

To be honest I would expect a syndicator to pay about three to four hundred thousand, and then sell the 25% in shares to cover the outlay.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:18am
Personally, I’m finding it hard to get enthused about Mustajeer really being competitive in either of the Cups.

His last start win in the Ebor was good but he did only beat Red Galileo (& he’d be 100/1 in the Cups). Previous form is only mediocre and he’s been beaten multiple times by other Cups entrants like Latrobe & Twilight Payment. Nice piece of marketing by Inglis highlighting he is a G1 place getter (mind you it was a well beaten 3rd in a field of 5 and 12 lengths from the winner!)

He is a 7yo and doesn’t seem to win very often, so was that Ebor win his peak effort? Or can Kris Lees improve the horse sufficiently to win a Cup?

Not that I’ve got a lazy $200k to spend, I pass on him myself. I see him as midfield at best in both Cups.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Really hoping Archie Alexander is able to cuddle Mosh Music into a Cup start, but I think he would've preferred to win his way in via the Bart Cummings, rather than having to rely on a penalty from the Herbert Power or MV Gold Cup. I don't think she's the sort of animal that would appreciate the Lexus/Cup back up.

It looks like they're going to stick with Declan Bates & hope she gets a Cup start with 52kg... Not sure either of those things are great strategically, but good luck to them. She is absolutely flying.
Gone for a spell. Something must've gone amiss after the Valley run. The way she presented that night, coupled with her form, she would've pissed in the Bendigo Cup & Queen Elizabeth double.
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 6:56pm
$250k is the current bid for Mustajeer was 23h to go....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>