Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Melbourne Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 3:42pm
So he was actually older and still received 1kg from SH 4yo's? 
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:48pm
New Melbourne Cup broadcaster Channel Ten will begin free-to-air broadcasts of seven major European thoroughbred meetings from UK and Europe, starting on Saturday night.

Ten is utilising the opportunity to showcase potential European runners being set for the Melbourne Cup as well other significant races.

It is a result of a deal struck between Sky Racing and Ten.

Ten will kick off coverage from the UK this Saturday night via Ten BOLD, with the Group I Eclipse meeting from Sandown which will feature dual Arc winner Enable.

Sky Racing will provide UK feeds which will be sourced from FTA channel ITV, featuring Francesca Cumani, who will also be hosting Ten’s coverage of the 2019 Melbourne Cup carnival.

Ten’s international racing coverage for the remainder of the year can be seen below.

Upcoming international meetings that will be shown on Channel Ten are: Group I Coral Eclipse meeting (July 6), Group I July Cup meeting (July 13), Gordon Stakes meeting at Goodwood (August 3), Ebor Handicap meeting (August 24), Group I Juddmonte Cheveley Park Stakes and Group I The Juddmonte Middle Park Stakes (September 28), ARC meeting (Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - (7 Group I's) (October 6), British Champions day meeting (October 19).

Ten will this year take over as official broadcaster of the Melbourne Cup and its high-profile support days.

Ten has struck a $100 million deal — one of the biggest in Australian sport — to take over from Channel Seven.

The five year deal will takes effect from 2019 until 2023 and see Ten hold the rights to the Cup, Derby, Oaks and Stakes days at Flemington.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 2:38am
Saw Marmelo finish second overnight in a group 2 at 2800m in France in his Prix Kergolay lead up.

Looks like he is owned by one of the Sheiks now.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 2:02pm
Don't think it is a sheikh  but similar colours to one.

Owned by Fairy Story partnership
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:40pm
Yeah it looks similar colours to the main owner for De Kock and the Prince who owned Pride Of Dubai and Oohood.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 1:34pm

ANOTHER CUPS HORSE SECURED BY AUSTRALIAN BLOODSTOCK

Aug 13, 2019

Another Cups horse secured by Australian Bloodstock

Australian Bloodstock today announced they have bought a controlling Interest in one of Ireland’s best older horses in MUSTAJEER.

The Medicean gelding is lightly raced and has been well looked after having just 18 starts. With 50% of his runs resulting in top 3 finishes and only 3 times finishing outside the money he is very consistent.

Currently trained by Group 1 winning and leading Irish conditioner Ger Lyons MUSTAJEER is officially rated 108 and his next start will be in Europe’s Richest Handicap, the £1,000,000 EBOR to be run on the 25th of August at York.

We sat down with Luke Murrell to get his thoughts on the purchase and plans moving forward.

Another international purchase by the team, what’s drawn you to him?
“We have bought him as we feel he is a genuine top 5 and winning chance for the Cups. Those Irish horses are the best stayers in the world and I have loved some of the things he has done this year, it’s been hidden in his data but it certainly says he is in career best form. With the Caulfield Cup only 8-9 weeks away if he drew well I think he is a horse they all have to beat in a race like that. Melbourne Cup wise he relaxes and if he could use his big turn of foot then he has to be a top 4-5 hope”.

He’s lightly raced for a 6 year old?
“Yes he’s a very sound horse and in fact when our vet inspected him he said he is one of the nicest physical horses he has seen in Europe and vetting wise he’s an exceptionally sound horse with x-rays and scans like a 2yr old. Ger has managed this horse amazingly well and whilst we don’t think there is any improvement in him if he can maintain his form he’s going to be a great hope in any race he contests”.

Initial plans?
“Into the Ebor and then Kris Lees will train him for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cup’s. Ger has a big team in Ireland and wanted to run him in the Group 1 Irish St Leger but for us the Caulfield Cup is worth $5m vs the St Leger $800k so it was a no-brainer to head that way and obviously the Caulfield Cup is a good platform for the Melbourne Cup”.

Thoughts on this years Ebor?
“The Ebor was one of the best rating races last year and he ran an unlucky 4th. This years Ebor will be stronger than some of the Group 1 races in Europe so it will be a proper race and even better than last year. Ger has been very happy with the horse and has set him for the event where he will carry 57kg”.

He profiles well for a trip down-under?
“He has exactly the right profile in that he will with even luck get in on the limit in both the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups and importantly he has a turn of foot that will be well suited to Australia. His turn of foot is one of the best we have seen in a while on the data he produces so on our flatter tracks he should be dynamic”.

Is a horse like this already sold before you buy it?
“We have such a loyal group of owners who we have shared huge success with and these types of purchases are mostly sold before we finalise. Occasionally there are 1 or 2 shares left, i’m not sure if he’s all sold as of this conversation but he soon will be”

You’ve made some solid purchases this year, anymore on the horizon?
“The Caulfield and Melbourne Cups looks very very winnable this year as basically I feel most of the Australian trained horses are at such a big disadvantage due to the program that if we can find these horses that are in career best form we will always be tempted given the races are worth $5m and $7m respectively. We are just about to finalise another horse that coincidentally will also run in the Ebor and then will also come for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. I’d lean slightly more towards Mustajeer’s best hope being the Caulfield Cup and this new one we are close to buying being the Melbourne Cup. We keep shares in all of the horses ourselves so that will probably tap us out for this year for our bigger purchases, however I couldn’t be more happy with what we have got as we should end up with genuine winning chances in all the big Group 1 races this spring which will be exciting”

Spring has been a happy hunting ground for Australian Bloodstock and this year looks to be no different, with horses such as Danceteria, Chief Ironside, Shraaoh, Sixties Groove, Torcedor, Red Cardinal, Big Duke, Tactical Advantage and Mawaany Machine all ready to take their shot, 2019 could well be their biggest year.

For information on securing a Cup runner contact Luke Murrell sales@australianbloodstock.com.au

reductio ad absurdum
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 9:03am
Hi there guys:
I see the nominations for this years cup are on this coming Thursday 29th August.
I don’t post much.but I always jump back on for the m cup.very big day.
Quick question what’s marmelo up to these days?.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 10:46am
Hi Cotto,

Marmelo won over 2500m in France last weekend. He will apparently be back again for another crack at the Melbourne Cup. Like last year, he won’t have another run before Cup day.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 5:42pm
Hi guys:
Oh o.k wow.he won’t have another run until the cup.
How do you guys view that is that very smart?.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 3:09am
Ebor goes to Mustajeer.

Nice early return for Australian Bloodstock.

Very ordinary camel, Red Galileo ran 2nd.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 11:26am
Hats off to Aust Bloodstock for picking up a share of Mustajeer a few weeks ago & getting a quick return. I wonder how much they paid for their share?

Anyway as RH said, it was a pretty ordinary race quality wise. I’d be very doubtful that any of those Ebor competitors would be competitive in a Melb Cup.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 12:19pm
Think you guys have totally underestimated the quality of that Ebor that was massively superior to last years and probably the strongest ever.
reductio ad absurdum
Bushy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
Ebor was the strongest in history - kidding to say it wasn't strong
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:40pm
Would anyone want to back any of these Ebor Hcp horses to beat home the likes of Cross Counter, Old Persian , Dee Ex Bee or Constantinople in the Melb Cup?

I’ll say no to that & bet that the very lengthy list of Ebor runners who haven’t won the Melb Cup will continue for another year.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:57pm
"Do you think he could win a Melbourne Cup?" "I wouldn't have a clue - it's the most expensive bumper race in the world and you need a lot of luck!" gerlyonsracing on Ebor winner Mustajeer

LOL
reductio ad absurdum
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:22pm
I'm not saying it wasn't a strong renewal. Just that a very ordinary camel ran 2nd.

I remember declaring Red Galileo a good Cups horse to my mates, back when he was with Ed Dunlop. He had just rattled home at any old price behind Australia in The Derby and looked as though he was a low-key stayer in the making.... low key alright. He couldn't get within the same postcode after that.
sunlinesusie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunlinesusie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 2:40pm
2019 Melbourne Cup winner. Another European 3rd old colt with no weight.?
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:15pm
Let’s hope not Susie.

But entries close of the Cup tomorrow, so we can all start making some early speculator bets from then!
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 11:07am
Hi guys:
I see the numbers are down 30 something horses 4 this years cup.very interesting what do you guys put that down to?.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 11:11am
The Handicapper and his terrible phobia with 58+ kgs.
reductio ad absurdum
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 3:53pm
The recent Melbourne Cup trend of European three-year-old winners could continue with Constantinople rocketing up Cup betting charts to be joint favourite, with David Hayes confirming he has part-purchased the emerging stayer.

Constantinople, who had been trained by the master of Ballydoyle Aidan O'Brien, brings similar form lines to last year’s Melbourne Cup winner Cross Counter who he has now joined at the top of betting at $15 for the 2019 Cup.

Constantinople’s price has been slashed from $51 which had been offered on Friday.

Lindsay Park supremo Hayes told Racenet he had part-purchased the emerging stayer because he had been taken by his form lines and because of a recent Melbourne Cup trend. European three-year-olds Cross Counter and Rekindling have won the Melbourne Cup the last two years.

Constantinople finished second at his latest start in the Great Voltigeur (2385m) during York's Ebor Festival – the same race Cross Counter finished runner-up in last year before travelling to Australia and winning the Melbourne Cup.

“I thought this horse had very similar form lines to Cross Counter which attracted me to him,” Hayes, who recently returned from a visit to the UK where he struck the deal, said.

“He will go into quarantine and the first (Australian) race he could run would be Herbert Power or maybe he will go straight into the Melbourne Cup.

“Coolmore and some of their friends are staying in the horse and I am in the process of buying some of him and then I will be syndicating him to my good clients”.

Aidan O'Brien trained Constantinople in eight starts for two wins and four runner-up finishes, with his maiden win by 10 lengths in Ireland and his victory at Group III level at The Curragh in the Gallinule Stakes being the highlights.

Constantinople, Cross Counter, Marmelo and Mustajeer now share Melbourne Cup favouritism at $15 with tab.com.au
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 6:24pm
We can assume his clients that do not buy in are not his good clients.

reductio ad absurdum
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 6:38pm
Only 7 of the top 20 in the market are physically here in Australia at present - Avilius, Django Freeman, Finche, Jo Vermeer, Steel Prince, Surprise Baby & Yucatan.

Of those 7, only 2 have been to the races this campaign - Avilius & Steel Prince.

Just an observation 🧐
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 6:38pm
David is very canny with a quid and no doubt get enough from his clients to ensure whatever he retains will have cost him very little if anything.  And good luck to him.

Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunlinesusie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 7:24pm
A nice local hope for this year's cup, I'm a big fan of Surprise Baby who won the Adelaide Cup in march, he's by Shocking who won the cup in 2009 and has gone onto become a good reliable stallion. I think Surprise Baby could be one of his best and is a nice strong up and coming stayer. See how he progresses through the spring. If he gets a nice weight in the Cup, write him off at your peril.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 7:31pm
Surprise Baby hasn’t even qualified, why is he so short....
This space has been intentionally left blank
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 7:31pm
What is a nice weight these days ?

He will get in on the minimum but the top weights get only 58 kgs these days so nobody really beats the handicapper.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

Surprise Baby hasn’t even qualified, why is he so short....

His Adelaide Cup win would have qualified him. 
reductio ad absurdum
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunlinesusie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 7:41pm
We've come a long way from the monster weights some legends have been asked to carry in the past. Can you imagine giving a horse 68kg in the Cup today. Poor Phar Lap should have won 3 cups not one, he won in 1930 despite thugs trying to shoot him, corrupt biased racing officials, big weights and over raced by H.Telford. He is still the only horse to have won on all four days of the Melb Cup carnival, and the shortest priced favourite in history. Love him so much, what a legend.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

In foal to Australia.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 21>