Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 G1 Caulfield Cup 2400m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:51pm
What a ride?
What a run.Star

Absolutely brilliant. With top weight against the best Australia could throw in at the weights he made a mockery of them.

Spewing Duretto couldn't go one closer.Ouch
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm
Great run VENTURA STORM too... He was 2nd last and ate up the ground into 5th or 6th. Am hoping he goes onto the Melbourne Cup??
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

What a ride?
What a run.Star

Absolutely brilliant. With top weight against the best Australia could throw in at the weights he made a mockery of them.

Basically got 1 out 1 back from barrier 15. So yes, what a ride!
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:53pm
Williams slaughter on fave
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

What a ride?
What a run.Star

Basically got 1 out 1 back from barrier 15. So yes, what a ride!

Yes a great ride in the end. But he did miss the start and was a clear last early, so to be pushed that hard to be one one is enough to ruin most horses.

Cosgrove is on a high atm for sure.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
You just have to love how the international horses come to Australia and win our staying races. Once again its alarm bells and the Cups King Bart Cummings said it years and years ago and that was...the lack if quality Aussie stayers. I guess thats what happenes when Australia becomes obsseased with speed...in my opinion its alarm bells. But all credit to the winner...the supreme stayer in the race and to win with top weight of 57.5kg is a great effort. These stayers from Europe - quality in numbers..their depth is brilliant.

#caulfieldcup2400m

#greatrace
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:05pm
Top weight, barrier 15, torrid run. Has no right to hold off Homesman there. I think that’s the best CC performance I’ve seen since Might and Power.
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Gee the way they walked mid race nothing out the back stood a chance, J Mac at least showed some initiative on the Taj Mahal. Well dne still to the winner he was still strong on the line.

Braindead jockey's. I would like to of seen Youngstar ridden like Thinking Big. High Chap's both of them, take em forward and get rolling at the 800m mark.

Frustrating. 

Credit to the internationals and their trainers though. Post Winx our Spring is theirs to do as they want with it. We are too focused on 2 year old squibs.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:15pm
Seventh, fifteenth and seventeenth for the Oz breds.
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by WarriSymbol WarriSymbol wrote:

How did these Japanese runners even get enough weight to make the field?
16 black type runs between them for ZERO wins.

Originally posted by Breeding Above All Breeding Above All wrote:

Japanese horses will run well.. they’re far superior..

I like Ace High EW

The only ones the Japanese horses beat home were either Aust. or NZ bred.
Both beaten around 11 lengths.

They've now had 18 black type runs between them for ZERO wins.
So, don't blame the softish track.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:26pm
I agree Glow, but the Golden Slipper is our best race, just ask Snowden, Portelli and Waterhouse

It just goes to show that any breeders, trainers or syndicators, should have no say in what the racing industry does or how it manages its product, but alas, that is wishful thinking.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Heavenly Glow Heavenly Glow wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Gee the way they walked mid race nothing out the back stood a chance, J Mac at least showed some initiative on the Taj Mahal. Well dne still to the winner he was still strong on the line.

Braindead jockey's. I would like to of seen Youngstar ridden like Thinking Big. High Chap's both of them, take em forward and get rolling at the 800m mark.

Frustrating. 

Credit to the internationals and their trainers though. Post Winx our Spring is theirs to do as they want with it. We are too focused on 2 year old squibs.

It amazes me how often you see these staying races where they do these 13-14 second furlongs and the blokes on the horses out back just twiddle their thumbs hoping someone else does it, J Mac tried the Yucatan ride again but the ones at the front better then what Yucatan had to beat.

I was on Homesman but take nothing away from the winner, way to tough and strong. 2 miles won't worry him, could be a chance to do the double?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

You just have to love how the international horses come to Australia and win our staying races. Once again its alarm bells and the Cups King Bart Cummings said it years and years ago and that was...the lack if quality Aussie stayers. I guess thats what happenes when Australia becomes obsseased with speed...in my opinion its alarm bells. But all credit to the winner...the supreme stayer in the race and to win with top weight of 57.5kg is a great effort. These stayers from Europe - quality in numbers..their depth is brilliant.

#caulfieldcup2400m

#greatrace

There is a reason Lloyd stopped buying locally bred horses and started sourcing his MC team mostly from Europe, Lloyd may annoy some but he is smart.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I agree Glow, but the Golden Slipper is our best race, just ask Snowden, Portelli and Waterhouse

It just goes to show that any breeders, trainers or syndicators, should have no say in what the racing industry does or how it manages its product, but alas, that is wishful thinking.

Is there any other industry on the planet that makes so much money despite producing such manifestly dismal results as the Australian breeding industry? I’m struggling to think of one.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:48pm
The stakes offered in Australia today are a prime reason why you are seeing such overwhelming dominance by the Europeans.

And they have choices at this time of the year.

In this time of the year in a span of about 3 weeks you have 3 fantastic 2400 races.

G1 Arc
G1 Caulfield Cup
G1 Breeder's Cup Turf

If you pull up the resume of the three place getters you will see that have running all over the world.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:57pm
The stakes and the fact they face vastly inferior horses. They must be laughing at us.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:10pm

How did these Japanese runners even get enough weight to make the field?
16 black type runs between them for ZERO wins.

Originally posted by Breeding Above All Breeding Above All wrote:

Japanese horses will run well.. they’re far superior..

I like Ace High EW

The only ones the Japanese horses beat home were either Aust. or NZ bred.
Both beaten around 11 lengths.

They've now had 18 black type runs between them for ZERO wins.
So, don't blame the softish track.

Well yer it clearly was the track today.. why wouldn’t u blame the track..

No one touched the Japanese horses when it was a soft track
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

The stakes and the fact they face vastly inferior horses. They must be laughing at us.

The European's also luv come to the US for the Turf races because in their opinion they are also facing inferior opposition.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

The European's also luv come to the US for the Turf races because in their opinion they are also facing inferior opposition.

Thanks Brudder A, was just going to ask that very question.
Love watching European and Japanese staying events (blame Delta Blues and Pop Rock), but wondered where the Americans stood.
Winx is a level above here, was it the same with Rachel Alexandra with a steep drop to the next level of middle distance horse?
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:29pm
Rachel Alexandra may not be the best example but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean.
Are the Europeans vastly superior on Turf everywhere is what I’m asking I suppose?
😊
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Thanks Brudder A, was just going to ask that very question.
Love watching European and Japanese staying events (blame Delta Blues and Pop Rock), but wondered where the Americans stood.
Winx is a level above here, was it the same with Rachel Alexandra with a steep drop to the next level of middle distance horse?

For all the wonderful studs in the US you would think that the turf influence of the US home bred would be on par to challenge Europe. 

Unfortunately, NO. 
It is why again you will see a dominance of the Europeans in a couple of weeks at Churchill Downs for this year's rendition of the Breeders' Cup.

However every once in a while you get a Rachel Alexandra or Zenyatta that makes folks here scratch their heads and wonder why doesn't it happen more often. But US trainers/owners are far more reluctant to race fillies/mares in open company (at least on the dirt) because there are just so many easy picking of Graded races to pin against the name for breeding that they just pass on the opportunity.

This year again the Yanks will be awed by the presence of Enable. 

Yet they will quickly forget about her - focus on the BC Classic on dirt and even more quickly drop that because all eyes will shift to the upcoming 3YOs as they focus for the Triple Crown. 

All the turf stuff - thats just a side note.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm
Cheers thank you 👍
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm

Rachel Alexandra may not be the best example but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean.
Are the Europeans vastly superior on Turf everywhere is what I’m asking I suppose?
😊

When I first started following racing our horses were winning Japan Cups. BLU beat some well credentialed Euros. Even a little over a decade ago horses like Elvestroem, Haradasun and Mummify (very good horses, but no superstars)were winning international races at a mile and beyond against quality Euros. The wheels have fallen off spectacularly.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:51pm

😊

When I first started following racing our horses were winning Japan Cups. BLU beat some well credentialed Euros. Even a little over a decade ago horses like Elvestroem, Haradasun and Mummify (very good horses, but no superstars)were winning international races at a mile and beyond against quality Euros. The wheels have fallen off spectacularly.

So You Think won five G1s overseas. Sunline won overses too.

But our best middle distance (apart from Winx if she travelled) horses and stayers run overseas and dont do well.

Yet overseas horses come here and win races.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:07pm
SYT was NZ bred
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:10pm
...from an Irish sire
TOLEDO View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOLEDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:26pm
Unfortunately all this does is weaken Winx formlines.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by TOLEDO TOLEDO wrote:

Unfortunately all this does is weaken Winx formlines.

Yep
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:36pm
How so, if you'd care to elaborate?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:38pm
The best horse Winx ever beat was Highland Reel, when his jockey inexplicably left the rail on the most dynamite rails biased tracks I've ever seen. There's no doubting her quality, but she's been beating up on complete and utter spuds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>