Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 G1 Caulfield Cup 2400m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 12:39am
Kings Will Dream put an extra K on his back to 53 on Saturday.    How do they beat him with the 5K drop in the weights .
Keep in mind his sensational time to win over 2400m ( 2.28.67 )on a slow track in Mornington Cup. 5L
The Turnbull had several great runs against the sectionals Saturday.
Winx was bluddy lucky to get out in time.
The Youngstar run was Cups material too.

Placed to WINX is the best form you can get ( especially for the big R'dwick miles aye.)
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by cotto1 cotto1 wrote:

Originally posted by Heavenly Glow Heavenly Glow wrote:

Winx aside, Youngstar was pulling away from that field on the line. I see nothing behind her beating her in a Caulfield Cup. She will get better as the distances get longer. The 2400m will be more suited in the CC. It will take a special horse to beat her, as it did on the weekend. 

Very interesting.I like kings will dream.What did you make of his run?.

I don't make a lot of his run. I think it was a solid run, but he was fading going to the line. Youngstar was actually pulling away from that field on the line. We saw a horse step up and try go with Winx when challenged. It was a gallant effort by Youngstar. She is very tough. I think she wins the Caulfield Cup fairly well. She will be suited over 2400m and further. Very special horse and is being overlooked right now because of how great a performance Winx was.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 11:45am

Originally posted by cotto1 cotto1 wrote:

Winx aside, Youngstar was pulling away from that field on the line. I see nothing behind her beating her in a Caulfield Cup. She will get better as the distances get longer. The 2400m will be more suited in the CC. It will take a special horse to beat her, as it did on the weekend. 

Very interesting.I like kings will dream.What did you make of his run?.

I don't make a lot of his run. I think it was a solid run, but he was fading going to the line. Youngstar was actually pulling away from that field on the line. We saw a horse step up and try go with Winx when challenged. It was a gallant effort by Youngstar. She is very tough. I think she wins the Caulfield Cup fairly well. She will be suited over 2400m and further. Very special horse and is being overlooked right now because of how great a performance Winx was.

You need to stop looking at it like fading and more like not having the top speed they had. The horses were running the quickest sectionals of the race at the end. It will be completely different in a race like the Caulfield Cup with some modicum of pressure.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 4:06pm
Given the sectionals , the first two's runs were sensational.
I erred early , Kings Will Dream drops 3.5K.

Great example of how horses need to get the breaks .

Only the greatest middle distance galloper of my time , could have
won that Race from where she was , inside the 800m.

I HOPE THE WORLD TOOK NOTE.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:47am
Charlie Appleby's Emotionless, an unlikely runner due to lameness.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:22am
Anyone know the likely field at this stage?
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 9:50pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:21am
Any thoughts on Chestnut Coat?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:39am
Too slow
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Too slow

Lol, why?
On average its priced around $4.5, and barely finishes 3 lengths off them, or wins.

But I guess Japan had had some quakes and typhoons recently. Could be a factor.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
LORD FANDANGO for me. He'll win or go very close on Saturday and be peaking 3rd up for this. You can still get $61 now. Well worth a ticket imo (if he gets in obviously).
Of the others, HOMESMAN and THE TAJ MAHAL look nice types. 

I'm on YOUNGSTAR for the MELBOURNE CUP. 

TOSEN BASIL's definitely one to keep an eye out for.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 2:36pm
The following horses are not running at this stage according to racing.com

- Unforgotten
- Harlem
- Tosen Basil
- Emotionless
- Egg Tart
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 7:22pm
It says TB 50/50
Prince Harada View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Harada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 10:04pm
BEST SOLUTION (Ire) 57.5 Pat Cosgrave Saeed bin Suroor
MY CLIFFS OF MOHER (Ire) 56.5 Hugh Bowman Aidan O’Brien
JON SNOW 55.5 Damian Lane Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman
SOUND CHECK (Ger) 55.5 Jordan Childs Mike Moroney
TOSEN BASIL (Jpn) 55.5 John Allen Darren Weir
CHESTNUT COAT (Jpn) 55.5 Yuga Kawada Yogelatio Yahagi
THE TAJ MAHAL (Ire) 55 James McDonald Liam Howley
ACE HIGH 55 Damien Oliver David Payne
DURETTO 54.5 Dwayne Dunn Andrew Balding
COUNT OCTAVE 54 Michael Walker Chris Waller
RED VERDON (USA 54 tbc Ed Dunlop
VENTURA STORM (Ire) 54 Regan Bayliss David & B Hayes & T Dabernig
VENGEUR MASQUE (Ire) 54 Patrick Moloney Mike Moroney
HOMESMAN (USA) 53 Ben Melham Liam Howley
KINGS WILL DREAM (Ire) 53 Craig Williams Darren Weir
NIGHT’S WATCH (NZ) 52 Ben Allen Darren Weir
YOUNGSTAR 51.5 Kerrin McEvoy Chris Waller
YUCATAN (ire) 52 tbc Aidan O’Brien
Prince Harada View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Harada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 10:08pm
If Tosen Basil is out then

BEST SOLUTION (Ire) 57.5 Pat Cosgrave Saeed bin Suroor
MY CLIFFS OF MOHER (Ire) 56.5 Hugh Bowman Aidan O’Brien
JON SNOW 55.5 Damian Lane Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman
SOUND CHECK (Ger) 55.5 Jordan Childs Mike Moroney
CHESTNUT COAT (Jpn) 55.5 Yuga Kawada Yogelatio Yahagi
THE TAJ MAHAL (Ire) 55 James McDonald Liam Howley
ACE HIGH 55 Damien Oliver David Payne
DURETTO 54.5 Dwayne Dunn Andrew Balding
COUNT OCTAVE 54 Michael Walker Chris Waller
RED VERDON (USA) 54 tbc Ed Dunlop
FINCHE (GB) 54 tbc Chris Waller
VENTURA STORM (Ire) 54 Regan Bayliss David & B Hayes & T Dabernig
VENGEUR MASQUE (Ire) 54 Patrick Moloney Mike Moroney
HOMESMAN (USA) 53 Ben Melham Liam Howley
KINGS WILL DREAM (Ire) 53 Craig Williams Darren Weir
NIGHT’S WATCH (NZ) 52 Ben Allen Darren Weir
YUCATAN (ire) 52 tbc Aidan O’Brien
YOUNGSTAR 51.5 Kerrin McEvoy Chris Waller

goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 10:24pm
Agree with your top rated.
Cupper View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:04pm
So now with the final decision to not run Yucatan. What are everyone's thoughts on the race? I've been a big supporter of KWD for a long while and see no reason to jump off. Youngstar the obvious danger but reasonably confident KWD can turn the tables.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:58pm
I agree with you Cupper. KWD from Youngstar. But no surprises there as these two are the favourites.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:58pm
I'm with you Cupper!Thumbs Up... KWD from Youngstar ... Cliffs of Moher did enough to be considerred and the Japanese horses always attract my attention - Chestnut Coat will be in my exotics. The rest are a dartboard job of chances really ... wont leave any Waller or Weir runners out either!  
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:00pm
So if I am reading this right we all like Youngstar, but the 4yo male in Ac High is no hope.

Is that right?
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:00pm
KWD has only been marking time his last three runs. He hasn't gone forward since his first up run. However I think Weir has just been keeping him ticking over. Expect him to go to another level in the main target race.
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:00pm
COM is my bet of the day. Will load up if can get 10/1.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:11pm
I give Youngstar 0 chance to win.. Against the big boys no hope
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

So if I am reading this right we all like Youngstar, but the 4yo male in Ac High is no hope.

Is that right?
I like him a lot, very honest, a winner too, has come back well, def in the mix, but the other two just seems too well weighted ... barrier draw could change things too.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:14pm
I like Youngstar. Her QLD Derby run had CC/MC written all over it. She improved every run last prep and improved as distances increased. Her last run behind Winx, where she went with the champion near the line is being massively underrated. The market hasn't underrated her though. I think she wins. She may even win very easily.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:15pm
Why are people tipping Lloyd Horses too? Haven’t we learnt that if they are Melbourne Cup entries and can run the 3200, this is just a warm up.. he doesn’t want the penalty, proven once again with Yucatan bypass
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:53pm
I think that may or may not apply for the Macedon Lodge horses but I'd be shocked if Cliffs Of Moher wasn't wound up and there to win. He ticks every box for mine, perfect lead up on Saturday.  Clear top pick.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:45am
Your right Grieves.

O'Brien could not care less who Lloyd is, if COM is at the barriers on saturday, it was because the race was always on his agenda, the man from Ballydoyle always sticks with plan a.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Breeding Above All Breeding Above All wrote:

Why are people tipping Lloyd Horses too? Haven’t we learnt that if they are Melbourne Cup entries and can run the 3200, this is just a warm up.. he doesn’t want the penalty, proven once again with Yucatan bypass

Was Fawkner already holding a MC slot the year he won the CC? But in general you are right, he generally uses this to get them in for Flemington like he did with Green Moon the year he ran 2nd in it.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:20pm
Patrick Erin and Jaameh the two emergencies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>