Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Women Playing Rugby League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women Playing Rugby League
    Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 12:55pm
Just a question to values TBV members. How many girls / women have a desire to play League (or Union for that matter) ? I asked my daughter & her numerous girlfriends the other day. Not one of them said yes. Most had no interest in the game from even a spectator point of view. My wife the same. Seriously have never come across ANY girl / women who say they do. Suggests to me that it is being driven by a very small - dare I say it - group within our population. Its hard not to think many of the girls playing the sport are not "butch". Not a great look physically for the vast majority either. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't be playing the game - far from it. If they want to belt the tripe out of each other that's ok with me. The problem I have is the push to promote / show the game as if its a mainstream sport for women - because it just isn't & in my mind will probably never be one. The sad thing to me is that we (mostly men) are watching it for different reasons to a men's game. It is not being watched for skill level that's for sure - more the novelty of women performing "unwomenly" (my new word). I'd love to put together a book of comments from spectators watching the game from a collection of pubs - a lot of very disparaging comments. Yet they still watch it. Is that what women in the game really want ? So bottom line - is the cause for women to be equal in all areas really being helped by stuff like this ? I don't think so.
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:18pm
A triumph for gender equality.

I got no problem with them but I do find it irritating when female athletes gripe about money. Get the bums on seats, eyes on idiot boxes and the money will follow- it doesn't work the other way around.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:33pm
The success the women's game is currently having is for all the wrong reasons imo. They are a spectacle for women brutality. It would hardly inspire any parent to encourage their daughters to play the game. In most folks eyes (men & women) a female should have feminine qualities. Is that an out-dated idea ? Playing Rugby does little to achieve that end. MOST women cannot even relate to those playing it
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:38pm

Rugby league girls: Female numbers on rise in Sydney’s west

PHIL ROTHFIELD, SPORTS EDITOR-AT-LARGE, The Sunday Telegraph
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:44pm
No surprise there PT. That's were the vast majority of Polynesian girls live. You know - 15 stone plus & built like brick outhouses. Wrecking balls !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:45pm
Not many netballers?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:45pm
Gee there's some crap in that article
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:47pm
Hows many girls up around your way have a desire to play Rugby PT ? How many even know what the games is ? Zilch - yeah thought so ! How many polynsesian girls living up there ? Zilch - yeah thought so !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:48pm
It is The Telegraph reporting on the Western Suburbs.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:57pm
Well the article is fairer than I first thought. The picture of the 4 girls has 3 of them being Polynesian - 75%. If it showed 3 1/2 girls it would be closer - but not too bad I suppose ! Question - would you (or anyone else on here) encourage your daughter to play league or union ?
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 2:01pm
Numbers for women’s AFL are skyrocketing, nationwide. Ask girls the attraction and they’ll invariably say “Because it’s so much fun”. I’d imagine girls playing League would say the same.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 2:03pm
Cant ever imagine wanting to play footy myself.  ( When younger ).  However, if they are playing sport, and making friends, and learning to work as a team,  instead of out running wild , doing drugs and popping out babies, it cant be all bad.  Many of the Pro players I think are gay, so  I am not surprised they like the game. But there seem to be a lot of school kids playing, and if its keeping them off the streets and out of trouble, its a good thing.
animals before people.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Numbers for women’s AFL are skyrocketing, nationwide. Ask girls the attraction and they’ll invariably say “Because it’s so much fun”. I’d imagine girls playing League would say the same.
Not sure you could ever compare League /Union to AFL re brutality Judge. Not knocking AFL either - just a totally different game re physicality. I could actually imagine encouraging my daughter to play AFL. Not so Rugby.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Cant ever imagine wanting to play footy myself.  ( When younger ).  However, if they are playing sport, and making friends, and learning to work as a team,  instead of out running wild , doing drugs and popping out babies, it cant be all bad.  Many of the Pro players I think are gay, so  I am not surprised they like the game. But there seem to be a lot of school kids playing, and if its keeping them off the streets and out of trouble, its a good thing.
I think that was my point Acacia. It is a game that seems to attract much more than its share of butch women. Butch women, Polynesian & Indigenous women seems to be the target group. MOST women have absolutely NO interest in playing it 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:31pm
I just have one question.

If the women are out on the field, whose running the canteen???Confused
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I just have one question.

If the women are out on the field, whose running the canteen???Confused
& ironing the jumpers !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:35pm

I think I've got the answer to get women out of sport. Just make it totally genderless.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I think I've got the answer to get women out of sport. Just make it totally genderless.

Hang on - what's that ? - you don't want it to be that equal !
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:53pm

Very true judge.

The AFL Sydney has 21 senior teams across 2 divisions and is growing exponentially. 

Anecdotally we saw numbers playing soccer grow strongly in Sydney, probably up until 5 or 6 years ago, but AFL is definitely gaining great traction amongst girls, particularly on the back of the success of the AFLW Competition 

Numbers involved in Auskick keep growing, as do girls under age team numbers. 

... and parents are much more comfortable with girls playing soccer or AFL, than league, for obvious reasons.

120 kg girls with no stamina tend to enjoy the brutality of league more than the other codes.

Personally, I would only watch women's sport if there was no men's equivalent to watch, and thus the success of the AFL version.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 5:01pm
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/blog/initiatives/harvey-norman-presents-the-australian-jillaroos-womens-national-rugby-league-team/
Yep, definitely all 120k butch monsters... you bunch of idiots! LOL Surely you can find something better to do?

Jillaroos + logo
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 5:04pm

Not sure you could ever compare League /Union to AFL re brutality Judge. Not knocking AFL either - just a totally different game re physicality. I could actually imagine encouraging my daughter to play AFL. Not so Rugby.

But the fact remains- they’re doing it because they love it.

Regarding AFL, it doesn’t have relentless collision that rugby does but in some ways it’s more dangerous. It’s a game when you get legitimately hit when you’re not expecting it, as opposition players aren’t just in front of you but all around you, and the game is essentially chaotic.

This actually worries me a bit. I’ve been to a women’s AFL game. Standard was ordinary but by gees the girls have a crack. Unfortunately most of them have grown up playing other aports so they don’t simultaneously brace for contact and protect themselves as well as men who’ve been playing their whole lives. An 18yo girl coming off with her face caved in after head butting someone’s knee will be a PR disaster for the AFL.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 5:39pm
They have to survive the 120 kg front rowers at park level to progress to this ...

My 80kg son who played State level AFL wouldn't stand a chance against these girls, let alone his little sister!Dead
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 6:16pm

But the fact remains- they’re doing it because they love it.

Regarding AFL, it doesn’t have relentless collision that rugby does but in some ways it’s more dangerous. It’s a game when you get legitimately hit when you’re not expecting it, as opposition players aren’t just in front of you but all around you, and the game is essentially chaotic.

This actually worries me a bit. I’ve been to a women’s AFL game. Standard was ordinary but by gees the girls have a crack. Unfortunately most of them have grown up playing other aports so they don’t simultaneously brace for contact and protect themselves as well as men who’ve been playing their whole lives. An 18yo girl coming off with her face caved in after head butting someone’s knee will be a PR disaster for the AFL.

Rugby union is OFF the scale for spinal injuries compared to the other footy codes. 117 in one study I saw reported a couple of weeks ago. Rugby league and soccer were next on 18 and 17.

That's from memory. Read it in last couple of weeks- on ABC I think- can't be bothered tracking it down now.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 6:32pm
The risk of injury is part and parcel of elite level sports.

The risk of assault at junior and lower grade levels is exponentially higher in rugby league, compared with rugby, soccer and AFL, either sex.It's simply a consequence of the participation demographic.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 12:32am
I don't know where femininity disappeared too.

The Grand Final for Ladies used to be at the Maternity Unit.

Now It's at Penrith Park.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:13am
Interesting comment Macca. I'd like to know what differences between men & women are now acceptable ? Are there any practices / mannerisms/ approaches that are generally either male or female. There certainly used to be. I suppose as soon as we identify a few they will just be attacked as being discrimitory anyway - so what's the use. The end point of all this can only be one thing - men & women eventually evolve or manufacture themselves into the one being - sounds reasonable. Maybe organise it so you can have sex with yourself as a bonus. We have really gone crazy as a society with this stuff. I also don't accept on the whole we are happier / more contented because of the madness. I suppose as long as the 1 or 2% of population that have never fitted in feel a BIT better the whole process is worth it. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:18am
It all started with women wanting to be jockeys.Big smile
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:26am
Which reminds me - when are we going to have an Affirmative Action plan for white footy players. The Polynesian/indigenous boys (& esp girls) have well & truly more than there quota. Just because they are built like brick outhouses, run like the wing, can turn on a sixpence, are more numb to pain - is no reason to take the game away from the "traditional" white folk. Needs to be sorted big time !
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:29am
Jarryd Hayne would be the longest serving lady in the NRL at present
EAD
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:30am
& don't get me started on the natural advantages blackfellas have in sports like basketball either. Or in the bedroom for that matter. Grossly unfair !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>