Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Old people driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old people driving
    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 8:06pm
Chief Inspector Gary Ford of the Sutherland Shire Police Area Command said it appeared the driver "may have hit the accelerator instead of the brake" while "trying to park into a parking spot".

They are a menace. Thousands of them lurking around here. I'm sure one of them will take me out eventually.Cool
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 8:20pm
Related image
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 8:49pm
Iceberg been driving every day for 50 years. No accidents
Started driving when I was 12, got my license at 13 when my Dad paid the local copper off
This space has been intentionally left blank
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 8:58pm
And is the old man still paying the copper off for your transgressions since then?  Shocked  Wink

Tb honest suspect all drivers over the age of say 70 should have to undergo re-licencing including hands-on an sight testing.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

And is the old man still paying the copper off for your transgressions since then?  Shocked  Wink

Tb honest suspect all drivers over the age of say 70 should have to undergo re-licencing including hands-on an sight testing.

This space has been intentionally left blank
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:34pm
LOL  Not over 70 yet, but, how come when I am on the freeway doing the allowed 110Ks, 2 thirds of the people that over take me and vanish are P Platers ?? And most of the major accidents on same freeway ( Sydney/Newcastle ), are caused by trucks .  Except of course for the old codger last week, driving the wrong way on the same freeway Wacko  Only 70.  He wont be making that mistake again .
Like CG, I started driving on the family farms at 12, got my licence as soon as I was old enough, have driven wheat trucks, tractors, and cars in Aust,  and cars in UK, USA, NZ and a couple of other countries, for 50 years, with one speeding ticket about 30 years ago.
I saw where an old lady backed over a kid in a shopping mall car park, and killed the child, a week or so ago.   Almost did it myself yesterday .  As Mum loaded the groceries with one hand and talked on the phone with the other, 2 small children darted out from between a huge big 4x4, right in front of me. Thankfully I managed to stop, but why  werent the kids secured in the car, instead of running around like little wildcats in a crowded and busy parking area ?  But if I had hit them, another head line would say some old duck hit and killed a child. 
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:09am
It's scary when you see young p platers driving near old people doing 20 under the speed limit, it's a disaster waiting to happen
EAD
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 12:38pm
had a few in Perth driving through walls into houses, with people inside. Only injured.

they are young people, either drunk or on drugs. they had their foot on the accelerator as well. obviously couldnt take it of, forgot the brake.....

what to do there T?

Gay out of courtesy, the title should be changed, to peoples driving.

luckily T doesnt intend being old, or a lousy driverLOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 1:11pm
What rubbish you talk .
One minute your complaining about us oldies costing a fortune to feed and we are over populated now your whinging when we use our cars to reduce the numbers.
I'm allowed to drive over the speed limit , as I have to get there quick ,   or I forget where I'm going.       
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

It's scary when you see young p platers driving near old people doing 20 under the speed limit, it's a disaster waiting to happen

What about people like me, usually doing 110 in a 110 zone, and getting left behind by P Platers ?  And doing 90 in a 90 zone and being one of only about a dozen people actually staying at 90 ?
Couple of weeks ago at 5.30am , on the way to hospital, pitch dark and fog so thick you couldnt see the road  ( no lighting or white lines on these roads ),  kangaroos everywhere, and doing approx 80 at best ,  in a 90 zone, trying to stay safe, and a P plater over took me on a curve.  Now thats scarey stuff.
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 4:14pm
While I think old people on the road are a slight danger, 90% of the time it's young p plate car hoons who speed, drive stupid, in and out of traffic and taking huge risks, that's why when I see these young P platers next to or near old people driving it's a disaster in the works as old people take longer to react, slower to drive and while they may be cautious there reaction times may be a bit slower
EAD
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 6:35pm
Soccer mums.  4WDs.  Scary.

+ mobile phones = Terrifying.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

As are grocery Mums + phones .  4WD Mums on school runs are a bit frightening, too.
animals before people.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 12:15am

Add to that 3rd world Uber recruits using Satnav to find their way from point A to B. 

If you want to find Mr Magoo on the road I can report he lives in Daylesford and drives a big truck into town every Saturday morning just after nine. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 4:26pm
No doubt he travels at 20ks , and sits in the middle of the road,  and takes up 2 spots when he parks ,  3Bs ?? 
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:01pm
I'm 85 and Flying behind the wheel.     I want to be seen as a fearless over taker,    before the under taker.
I still drive quite well and doubly cautious.    Avoid the peaks as the roads don't need useless old B's like me with all day to get there clogging up the roads.

I firmly believe the OVER 70's should have a SENIOR Plate on display.
Would identify and 99% are very considerate of Seniors and it would make them aware & alerted.
I'm amazed how many times when I'm struggling along loading the car with shopping that someone comes along a BANG it's done for you.
There is still wonderful people in this world == Believe me.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:31pm
He drives the truck slowly AA but manages to park in just the one space. His truck is actually painted with the words "Mr Magoo". He looks like an oversized lumberjack hillbilly version. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 9:44pm
LOL Macca.  I get their attention by wearing a big cowboy hat and sticking my hand out the window when wanting to make a turn.  A few red dogs running amok in the back helps.  They give me a wide berth then Thumbs UpLOL
And yes, I am always amazed how many good people there are out there who step up to help.  While i was battling, waiting for my hip op, so many people of all ages would offer help.  
3Bs, you mean its a redneck pick up truck ?? 

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:01am
3Bs, you mean its a redneck pick up truck ?? 

A monster one AA. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:36am
What,s the old dude do with it ?   Apart from drive into town once a week.
it sounds like the one Shopping Mum was driving, when letting her kids run amok in the parking lot.   4 door, 4x4, with trailer behind .  Hoooooge big thing.  One wonders what people need with these monsters. 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 5:56pm
The Centre For Road Safety ( NSW ) today said middle aged men are the most dangerous on the road.  They are more involved in crashes than P platers and rev heads.   Drivers in the age bracket 40 to 49  make up the largest group in crashes that kill at least one person.  The Centre said most middle aged men have an inflated view of their driving skills.
In the past year 105 drivers in their 40ies were involved in fatal crashes.
A further 152 mature age drives,  79 in the 30/39 age group,   and 73 in the 50/59 age group, added to the carnage.
Younger drivers were involved in 94 fatal crashes last year.  Speed was the biggest single factor in the road toll last year, with the toll 392.  Up to 167 lives would have been saved if people had just slowed down.
75 people also died in crashes where fatigue was the cause , and almost 90% of those were on country roads.
The stats revealed males out numbered females in car crashes 274 to 118.
The expert also said a car travelling at 65k/h was twice as likely to be involved in a casualty crash as a car travelling at 60k/h
Some interesting stats .
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 6:46pm
Those stats would paint a truer picture were they to breakdown the percentages e.g  males/females in each category.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:57pm
those stats may be true but a lot of the accidents caused by older drivers happen in car parks which probably represent a small percentage of accidents overall
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:17am
Going by the TV ads for new safety barriers AA those middle aged men are all taking a nanna nap at the wheel. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:25am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

those stats may be true but a lot of the accidents caused by older drivers happen in car parks which probably represent a small percentage of accidents overall

Old people running over kids, who,s Mother isnt controlling them,  because she is busy on the phone ???  Like the kid I almost run over about a week or so ago .  And if I had, I would be one of those drivers you speak of.  My fault,,,not Mum,s ,  for not watching and controlling her kids. 
Serious tho.   I see some old folks here in town who do the most stupid things.  But take their licence away and they have no transport at all.   In country areas if you cant drive you cant get out.  No public transport at all.  If they dont have good family they become house bound .   So locals in towns like this know to watch out and be aware of the oldies.  Thats where it gets lost, in the big smoke, and oldies get into strife.
In country towns everyone knows who is who, and watch out and take care of the oldies.   City living is not for the faint hearted.
There is a lady here who is 96 and still has all her marbles. Smart as a tack.  Lives out of town with her horses and dogs.  Feeds and rugs up .  Drives in each week for food and animal supplies.  She can back her big 4x4 into a tight space in one go.  Unlike a lot of the younger Mums who need 3 go,s .   She also has her gun licence and can pick a roo off , across the creek from the house.   But she only drives from home to town and back again.
I can see why oldies get in trouble.   I only have to look at what goes on here in town. 
For myself, driving in Sydney is a nightmare, and I rarely do it, and oldies should probably give it away , especially when they have public transport. 

animals before people.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 7:29pm
8% of accidents are caused by drunks, there fore 92% are caused by sober people
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

So I was right! ... I always feel like I drive better when I'm drunk! Big smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:16pm
OLD DRIVERS ARE BY FAR THE BEST.

OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE old.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

So I was right! ... I always feel like I drive better when I'm drunk! Big smile

Yes, alcohol kills the slow cells, just like in a herd of animals.  The weak perish while the strong survive.  Thats why one is always smarter when drunk Wink
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 12:12am
I dont drink so cant say but this new rule being bought in of 40 when passing a flashing lights car is just an accident waiting to happen. Past two police cars on the m4 yesterday pulled over with car lights flashing. One i didt notice till almost on top of. Now i slam on the breaks and see what happens to the three cars travelling way too close behind me! I dont know what the rules will be but they havent thouht it threw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>