Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Avilius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:46pm
Looks like this guy will be back in action in the autumn as he’s been nommed for the Australian Cup 2000m. It’s then 3 weeks into the Tancred Stks 2400m.

They’re the 2 G1 races I’d aim him at anyway.

He dodged 2 very winnable G1’s (Metrop Hcp & Caulfield Cup) last spring, hopefully can make amends this autumn.

Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:11pm
Great return by Avilius!!

Will be hard to beat in the Aust Cup at Flemington & Tancred Stks at Rosehill
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:31pm
Awesome return 
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:23pm
Not a lot between he and Night’ s Watch yesterday for mine. Cut the corner when NW had to come very wide, which just told at the end. Good to see them both back in good nick.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:41pm
Another terrific run by this guy and will have to be a hot fave for the Australian Cup now.

Then hopefully onto Sydney for the Tancred Stks & if he’s dominant in that, then why not have a crack at Winx in the QE Stks.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:57pm
with others injured and the 3yo's looking light on, he is the second best horse in the nation, with Happy Clapper.

To be honest I would have loved to see him at the mile at Flemington, but they do not need the money and have Alizee in and Hartnell just about to get the call from Carpenter, so they have them covered.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 6:04pm
Easily the second best, injuries or not he would be.. he’s a star
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 6:12pm
Not even close. Our middle distance horses are absolute camels. Our second best horse would be a sprinter...take your pick.
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:06pm
Avilius did come 2nd to Cracksman in Europe. He is a genuine top class horse just short of world class. He is a great measuring stick for our horses who are all failing dismally apart from a few exceptions.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:31pm
That's the thing though, right? What's the measuring stick for dismal?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:45pm
Avilius is the measuring stick of abysmal. If Cracksman can beat him by 4 lengths over 2000m then anything he beats is far inferior. 

Avilius so so consistent in Aus he is a good guide.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:54pm
That's what I'm saying. From a ratings perspective, I'd imagine horses like SAL, Redzel and IHT are superior. Avilius is still a G1 maiden. That may change in two weeks but our sprinters are at least competing against semi decent horses.
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm
Was found out at decent weight last year.

He's a handicapper that might beat some rubbish like today.

Will not win another G1.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:19pm
Won twice at Group 3 level in the Spring, once in a Quality, another in a Set-weights with penalties race.  Then ran 4th in the Group 1 Cox Plate.  

This Autumn has won twice at Group level, once at Group 3 WFA/with penalties and the other at Group 2 standard WFA.

Just a handicapper eh?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by ChrisB ChrisB wrote:

Was found out at decent weight last year.

He's a handicapper that might beat some rubbish like today.

Will not win another G1.

Can you explain your bizzare comments Chris B?

1) How was he “found out at a decent weight last year”?

2) Why do you think Trap For Fools & Ace High are rubbish?

3) If you think Avilius is not going to win a G1, then what’s your tip for the Aust Cup?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:34pm
LH, you're a smart man but...TFF and AH may not be rubbish, but are the sort of horses that 20 years ago would never have troubled our top WFA horses. Avilius will probably win the Australian Cup, but it's shaping as the worst edition, probably ever. Personally I think even a horse like Gailo Chop would lead him a merry dance. This is how low we've come.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm
Fair enough Judge, I agree TFF & AH are not superstars, but both do have major G1 wins on their CV’s.

I do also realise that we’re unlikely to ever see the awesomeness of the WFA battles of yesteryear. Bona fide superstars going into battle against each other is a thing of the past. In my early years it was Vo Rouge & Super & BLU. Then came the Saintly, Filante, Occy era and then onto the Northerly, Lohnro, Sunline period.

All these horses would eat the current era of WFA horses for breakfast (except Winx, maybe).

But I’ve been on the Avilius ride for most of his Aussie runs & I think he’ll keep powering on this campaign
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Fair enough Judge, I agree TFF & AH are not superstars, but both do have major G1 wins on their CV’s.

I do also realise that we’re unlikely to ever see the awesomeness of the WFA battles of yesteryear. Bona fide superstars going into battle against each other is a thing of the past. In my early years it was Vo Rouge & Super & BLU. Then came the Saintly, Filante, Occy era and then onto the Northerly, Lohnro, Sunline period.

All these horses would eat the current era of WFA horses for breakfast (except Winx, maybe).

But I’ve been on the Avilius ride for most of his Aussie runs & I think he’ll keep powering on this campaign

What memories. Filante was a huge talent when on song. They were great days. With all the top Euro middle distance sires nowadays maybe the 90s form was weak in comparison. Can we tell on times?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:08pm
Filante's Epsom win from an outside barrier with top weight was breathtaking. Wish I could find a video.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Filante's Epsom win from an outside barrier with top weight was breathtaking. Wish I could find a video.

I agree. One of the best wins in Aus over the last 30 years. Filante was my favourite horse at the time. He was hugely talented just lacked mental toughness sometimes in tight finishes.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:26pm
Filante - 2nd in both Cox Plate attempts.

But how about the 1996 Cox Plate - top 5 placegetters were: Saintly, Filante, All Our Mob, Juggler & Octagonal - they had 24 G1 wins between them ranging from 1200m to 3200m.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:59pm
I started following the caper when Vo Rogue, Super Impose and Better Loosen Up were matching motors. We were running first and second in Japan Cups back then. Now we're importing horses that wouldn't lick their bootstraps. Because our own horses are even worse.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 1:39am

That's what I'm saying. From a ratings perspective, I'd imagine horses like SAL, Redzel and IHT are superior. Avilius is still a G1 maiden. That may change in two weeks but our sprinters are at least competing against semi decent horses.

Our sprinters are atrocious at the moment.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 1:45am
Avilius was on a continual upward spiral in Europe.

Will be interesting to see how Finche and Eminent go down here.

Do not underate his European form. He was well on his way to the top.

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 1:50am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Our sprinters are atrocious at the moment.

We had one today run the fastest Oakleigh Plate EVER ..
        That's not atrocious.
Not a good idea to start comparing past Gallopers with present ones as the "clock" will usually prove you wrong .
We had one who placed in our last Newmarket , cleaned them up at Ascot.

AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Red Rancher Red Rancher wrote:

Avilius did come 2nd to Cracksman in Europe. He is a genuine top class horse just short of world class. He is a great measuring stick for our horses who are all failing dismally apart from a few exceptions.

He was a 3yo @ only start 6 stepping up to the 2400m for the first time beaten 3.5L 

I wouldnt be using that as a future form reference judging horses 

Winx @ start 6 as a 3yo had allready been beaten twice by First Seal over the 1600m by 3L and a run or 2 later 4.8L 
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Avilius was on a continual upward spiral in Europe.

Will be interesting to see how Finche and Eminent go down here.

Do not underate his European form. He was well on his way to the top.

SPOT ON !!
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Red Rancher Red Rancher wrote:

Avilius is the measuring stick of abysmal. If Cracksman can beat him by 4 lengths over 2000m then anything he beats is far inferior. 

Avilius so so consistent in Aus he is a good guide.

Was supposed to be in reply to this :

He was a 3yo @ only start 6 stepping up to the 2400m for the first time beaten 3.5L

I wouldnt be using that as a future form reference judging horses 

Winx @ start 6 as a 3yo had already been beaten twice by First Seal over the 1600m by 3L and 4.8L a run or 2 later 
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:37pm
AdaHunta View Drop Down 

Champion 
Champion 

Post Options Post Options 
  Thanks (1) Thanks(1) 
  Quote&nbsp;AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 1:29am
Avilius ~ 4yo Godolphin import lightly raced only the 7 starts overseas had his first trial after 40+ weeks off the scene at Rosehill over 904m last week and looks in very good order was a sharp piece of work just idling along out the back only 3.3L away 

Like the look of this horse and definitely one to follow !! 

Lord Hybrow View Drop Down 

Champion 
Champion 

Post Options Post Options 
  Thanks (1) Thanks(1) 
  Quote&nbsp;Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the tip off on Avilius. Hmm, 2nd over 2400m to Cracksman as a 3yo in France 

AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:38pm
Been a good ride Hybrow !! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>