Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Avilius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 10:37pm
I think they would be crazy to give the Caulfield Cup a miss. He has tip top tactical speed and they know 2400m is well within his compass. 3200m has to be a query.

reductio ad absurdum
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 2:28pm
Given 1.5kg penalty for that win...seems a bit strange to me. But it might get him into the CC.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 5:28pm
Yep confirmed: Avilius recieves a 1.5kg penalty for his win in the Group 3 The Bart Cummings, will now carry 54.5kg in the Melbourne Cup.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I think they would be crazy to give the Caulfield Cup a miss. He has tip top tactical speed and they know 2400m is well within his compass. 3200m has to be a query.

Agree with this. Up to 20th in order of entry after Saturday and 2 weeks into the Caulfield Cup with 54.5kgs then 3 weeks into the Mackinnon over 2000 looks ideal.

As mentioned above unlikely to happen and I'm sure they'll head to the Melbourne Cup but the 2500 seemed to see him out on Saturday.

Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I agree 100%. May not even run the 2 miles. Looks to of lost his zip at the end of 2500m on the weekend. I thought he would've let down better to be honest. Connections would be silly to overlook a Caulfield Cup. Its winnable.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 12:51pm
What are people's thoughts on the 1.5k penalty handed to Avilius? Was it deserved? The margin between Avilius and the runner-up was very small.

I thought he wouldn't of got any penalty. Compared to Amelie's Star who won the Bart Cummings by a bigger margin and she recieved no penalty.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 3:25pm
Cox Plate next for him confirmed on fox then alls well the MC.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 4:42pm
Cox Plate will be like a Mackinnon Stakes type run to fine tune him for the Melbourne Cup
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 4:44pm
And penalty free.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

...Rather see him back to 2000m for the Cox (can certainly run a drum)

James comes on here incognito and reads every word I write.  Wink  Big smile
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm

...Rather see him back to 2000m for the Cox (can certainly run a drum)

James comes on here incognito and reads every word I write.  Wink  Big smile

Surely you are kidding? Surely James Cummings does not have an accoun on this forum?
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 5:14pm
He has as much chance of winning a Cox Plate as he has of winning a MC.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 5:35pm
Took $6 the place in the Cox immediately after the Bart Cummings for a modest collect.
speedingaway View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedingaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 7:33pm
He wouldn't get a run in a normal Cox Plate year on his record to date
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 7:42pm
Each to their own opinion.  Smile

YearRaceGradeWinnerTrainerWinner Fam.Dist.2nd3rdTimeComment
2018STC KINGSTON TOWN STAKESG3AVILIUS4-i2000 MTBRIMHAM ROCKSI AM SERIOUS2:02.01 
2018VRC BART CUMMINGSG3AVILIUSJAMES CUMMINGS4-i2500 MTJAAMEH2YOGI102:35.43 
2017PRIX DE SURESNES AVILIUSANDRE FABRE4-i2000 MTMY SCHOLARPHOCEEN22:08:716 STARTERS; WON BY NECK (JRD)
2017PRIX EUGENE ADAMG2FINCHEANDRE FABRE1-p10FAFANDEM2AVILIUS2:058 STARTERS; WON BY 1/2 LENGTH
2017PRIX GUILLAUME DORNANOG2EMINENT13MARTYN MEADE9-c2000 MTSALOUENAVILIUS2:02:268 STARTERS; WON BY 3 LENGTHS (JRD)
2017PRIX NIELG2CRACKSMAN6JOHN GOSDEN9-c2400 MTAVILIUSFINCHE2:37.78 
speedingaway View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedingaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 8:35pm
I hope he runs a place for you Second Chance! It just puts the Winx domination into perspective. Obviously Avilius has G1 ability, but in the past a galloper like him would have had to have won a G1 (likely at WFA) beforehand to come into consideration. 
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 9:04pm
he overcame the weight and beat a pretty good field at flemington - he's fit and will have an ideal lead up in the cox plate. Sometimes the exposed form is better
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:15am
He hung out all the way down the straight at Caulfield. He will get lost around the valley and I can't see him running a drum. $6 is probably worth finding out though.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by speedingaway speedingaway wrote:

I hope he runs a place for you Second Chance! It just puts the Winx domination into perspective. Obviously Avilius has G1 ability, but in the past a galloper like him would have had to have won a G1 (likely at WFA) beforehand to come into consideration. 

It has been a while since that was the case.

reductio ad absurdum
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:25pm
James Cummings heart must have sunk at the end of the straight on the first lap.

If he had a chance, it was all over pretty early.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:26pm
Yep.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:44pm
Avilius was my top pick, COM my third pick ... no exotics today, and we will never know!Unhappy

Will they save COM?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:45pm
Already gone. Broken shoulder
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:58pm
Very sadUnhappy ... broke down after cantering 1100m, but PETA will no doubt make a song and dance over it.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm
Was Avilius put to sleep?
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Was Avilius put to sleep?

No. The Cliffs of Moher was
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Very sadUnhappy ... broke down after cantering 1100m, but PETA will no doubt make a song and dance over it.

Check out the coalition for protection of race horses page on Facebook, you would almost think they were happy it happened.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:40pm
Think Avilius has injuries tho ??? 
animals before people.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:46pm
From the stewards report

Avilius (GB) - slow to begin. Hampered to avoid the injured The Cliffsofmoher (IRE) passing the winning post on the first occasion. A post race veterinary examination revealed the gelding had sustained lacerations to its off fore fetlock
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:16pm
If the injury was minor, all he did was track work - surely they back him up in whatever they like and he just wins ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>