Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Power Prices & Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Prices & Options
    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 2:41pm
There's massive hue & cry regarding the present cost of electricity but from a purely personal level, I couldn't be happier with our provider & access to various brokers who keep the bast....s honest Big smile
We are a 2 person household with bottled gas hot water (now that price is a problem), aircon & TV going 13hrs/day, 2 PCs, 2 electric blankets 12hrs/day, a fridge, electric fence unit & 10 solar panels.
I or Electricity Wizard check 6mthly for improved options & no matter who has a better one, Origin always go a step further Smile
Our June quarter was $444.92 discounted 38% to $314.19 if paid on time & with the Solar feed in of only $24.
New plan is identical to the above less a further 38% discount on supply which would have meant a further $60 off this a/c.
The previous 3 mths was only $168.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 6:58pm
Our bill went down when one son moved out and stopped taking 40 minute showers twice a day!!! 

Working from home, still got 2 kids here and another works here, rc air, pool, multiple fridges, TV's, devices, etc all going non stop, can't recall a bill under $1,000 ... keep in mind, adult kids never turn off a light or shut a door when they come in and out, and wear clothes once and put them straight in the washing!Cry
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

There's massive hue & cry regarding the present cost of electricity but from a purely personal level, I couldn't be happier with our provider & access to various brokers who keep the bast....s honest Big smile
We are a 2 person household with bottled gas hot water (now that price is a problem), aircon & TV going 13hrs/day, 2 PCs, 2 electric blankets 12hrs/day, a fridge, electric fence unit & 10 solar panels.
I or Electricity Wizard check 6mthly for improved options & no matter who has a better one, Origin always go a step further Smile
Our June quarter was $444.92 discounted 38% to $314.19 if paid on time & with the Solar feed in of only $24.
New plan is identical to the above less a further 38% discount on supply which would have meant a further $60 off this a/c.
The previous 3 mths was only $168.

You run an electric fence in Bankstown?Shocked Is that to keep the Muslims out?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:13pm
Gay3 View Drop Down

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:02pm
I got mine today. The smallest bill I have ever had, but I dont have an electric fence. 
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:03am
Highway robbery
EAD
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 10:51am

Expanding Alinta tots up sizzling profit turn

Sean SmithThe West Australian

Alinta Energy has emerged from its first year under the ownership of Hong Kong group Chow Tai Fook Enterprises with a hefty profit rise as it aggressively expands on the east coast.

Accounts filed with the corporate regulator this week show WA’s biggest gas retailer leapt to a net profit of $629.4 million in the 12 months to June 30, aided by a $177 million tax benefit.

The profit compared to a $51.5 million loss for the previous year, which was muddied by the change of ownership.

The WA-founded group was sold to Chow Tai Fook in April 2017 after its hedge-fund and private-equity owners — about 30 — backflipped on a proposed $4 billion sharemarket float.

The conglomerate has already recouped some of its investment, with Alinta returning $141.9 million in franked dividends during the year.

Alinta has been embroiled in a protracted gas price war with newcomers in WA, where it is the dominant supplier, while poaching customers from the same companies and expanding operations on the east coast.

In January, it added to its generation assets by paying $1.2 billion for the low-cost Loy Yang B coal-fired power plant in Victoria’s Latrobe Valley.

The latest financial results were accompanied by little commentary and Alinta’s Sydney-based management did not respond to requests for comment.

The accounts suggest the group made nearly $600 million before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation in the latest year, up from about $380 million previously, as revenue grew to $2.7 billion from $2.2 billion.

With the onset of cooler weather in south-west WA, Alinta has stepped up its marketing to match aggressive discounting by newcomers including AGL Energy and Origin Energy.

The price war has seen the retailers offer discounts of up 37 per cent along with other incentives to lure customers.ut the weak market gains by AGL and Origin since they set up in WA last year suggest that Alinta and its main rival, Wesfarmers’ Kleenheat, have seen off the immediate threat.

Much of Alinta’s focus has been on the east coast, where it is said to have doubled its customer base over the past year.

Chief executive Jeff Dimery says Alinta is prepared to operate on thinner customer margins than its competitors in order to win east coast accounts.

“We’re growing our profit, but the contribution we are getting per customer is definitely falling away quite rapidly,” Mr Dimery told Fairfax Media last month.

The group’s results did not update its customer base, which was put at 768,888 residential and 13,507 industrial customers at the end of 2016-17.

That number included 548,633 households in WA, where total gas customers had increased to 761,734 at the end of July.

Kleenheat accounts for about 198,000 of those customers.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 7:00pm

Here’s the evidence. Since the birth of the National Electricity Market, or NEM, almost twenty years ago, power prices have risen by 232 per cent nationally — and by 100 per cent in real terms, relative to the prices of other goods and services.

Prices have risen far higher in the east coast cities, where the NEM operates, than in Perth and Darwin, where it doesn’t (or in Hobart, where it’s made little difference). Moreover, the more privatised a city’s electricity system is, the more its prices have risen. That is not what the regulators or the politicians want to hear, but it is what the evidence is telling us.

https://insidestory.org.au/cheaper-electricity-and-lower-emissions-so-near-and-yet-so-far/

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:57pm

Beginning of the end for subsidised renewables

One of the most astute investors in the world is Warren Buffett. Since 2004 his company, Berkshire Hathaway, has invested more than $US17 billion in renewable energy, predominantly wind farms. In case you think Buffett is some bleeding-heart global warming believer, here is his explana­tion for the investment: “I will do any­thing that is basically covered by the law to reduce Berkshire’s tax rate … We get a tax credit if we build a lot of wind farms. That’s the only reason to build them. They don’t make sense without the tax credit.”

Under the US production tax credit scheme, American taxpayers forked out more than $US14bn to renewable energy operators between 2014 and last year. The scheme provides for a tax credit of $US23 per megawatt hour and each project can claim this credit for 10 years. Unfortunately for the renewable energy sector, the scheme is being phased out.

Moreover, with the dramatic cut to the federal company tax rate (from 35 per cent to 21 per cent) implemented by the Trump administration, the value of tax credits for existing renewable energy schemes suddenly has dropped.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/beginning-of-the-end-for-subsidised-renewables/news-story/02ce8aed8ee09dfe1f867d0680fe09ef

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:10pm
Well the election of the Donald sure hasn’t slowed down Buffett’s appetite for renewables:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-midamerican-renewables/buffett-utility-to-be-first-in-u-s-to-reach-100-percent-renewables-idUSKCN1IV2A2
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:22pm
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 3:01am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Well the election of the Donald sure hasn’t slowed down Buffett’s appetite for renewables:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-midamerican-renewables/buffett-utility-to-be-first-in-u-s-to-reach-100-percent-renewables-idUSKCN1IV2A2

Tends to be pretty windy in Iowa, and yet ...

Because of the intermittency of electricity generated by wind, the utility will continue to use its existing natural gas, nuclear and coal-fired power plants, MidAmerican said, adding that it is seeking sites to add more wind farms.

...oops Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:07am
That’s right Doc. Adding more wind farms.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 10:38am
I can hardly wait for the big drop in my next electricty bill.Clap
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:03pm
... and how's your tax bill looking, after the government pays out billions on your behalf to subsidise a saving that you are "hoping" for?Wacko 

Anyhow, if anyone does see a reduction in their bills, I guess we can thank ScoMo!Thumbs Up
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:06pm
World wide there are 1600 new coal fired power stations being built, mostly in the poorest countries ... why not windmills and solar panels if renewables are so much cheaper???Confused
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:16pm
Flushed with the overwhelming success of his Flag Pin and with most Libs now knowing where they live, PM ScoMo has released a new pin to remind his govt exactly who owns their sad little scrotums.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:31pm
Missing Malcolm much?LOL
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:21pm

Nuclear share of electricity generation (2016)

Source: World Nuclear Association

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 5:22pm
I checked my electricity plan yesterday with energy wizard who I normally use.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn it's the best in my area by a country mile & to ensure I renew it prior to its' end date in July Big smile
Origin with 38% off each supply & usage Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply