Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Kosciuszko 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:27pm
And then the Mt Cook for former New Zealand horses now trained in Australia.

The Matterhorn for former European gallopers.

The Maachu Pichoo for former South Americans.

Then the Kakadu for former Western Australia gallopers.

The Barossa Valley for former South Australian gallopers.

The Mt Fuji for former Asian trained gallopers...….. wait I am running out of mountains and landmarks, oh sorry the Mount Rushmore for former US gallopers.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:29pm
Making mountains out of mole hills.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by correctweight correctweight wrote:

If Care To Think runs to form he will blitz any horse eligible for this.

I might agree correct, but if we see a wet track he is no good!

She Knows, Eckstein and Victorem are all capable. For mine Victorem and She Knows are the genuine 1200m gallopers in contention for the race, so far.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
intrepidarts View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

And then the Mt Cook for former New Zealand horses now trained in Australia.

The Matterhorn for former European gallopers.

The Maachu Pichoo for former South Americans.

Then the Kakadu for former Western Australia gallopers.

The Barossa Valley for former South Australian gallopers.

The Mt Fuji for former Asian trained gallopers...….. wait I am running out of mountains and landmarks, oh sorry the Mount Rushmore for former US gallopers.

STFU...
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:05pm
Laugh all you want but if it sends money back to the country all for good.  I've seen the joy on pretty small trainers getting a horse to the Country Champs.  What would getting a horse in this mean.  Maybe food for the stock over summer.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:06pm
The Grampians for Victorians.

The Mt Isa for Queenslanders.

The Mt Ararat for those gallopers owned by Christians.

The Noahs Ark for wet trackers.

The Old Beards Handicap for Greys.

Oops, I must find a way to spend my time better
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:33pm
Sorry Voyager I'm pretty uptight and the moment.  I know you were having fun.  Pretty good names also.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 8:09pm
If you wanna support country racing get yourself to Mount Wycheproof on Derby Day
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:23pm

hahaha
intrepidarts
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

The Monstar & Beauty Flame if its sound would be good hopes
Be interesting to start a list of potential Kozciuszko starters?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Perhaps they can also introduce the Kilimanjaro for provincial horses?

More like horses bred in Afrika....
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:18am

The list could go one...

If The Everest is the nadir of top sprinters, the we could also have a race for horses with no greater that a Rating of lets say 33 - and have the race call the The Dead Seas Stakes.

Seems like a wonderful Marketing ploy for some Racing Administrator... 
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:35am
Theres The Horsham for the worst maidens.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:35am
Sportsbet had the Hotham last year with a reverse ballot.
Maiden worth 50k. More starts the better
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

The list could go one...

If The Everest is the nadir of top sprinters, the we could also have a race for horses with no greater that a Rating of lets say 33 - and have the race call the The Dead Seas Stakes.

Seems like a wonderful Marketing ploy for some Racing Administrator... 

It's literally the Hotham.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:35am
That should say the Hotham
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Perhaps they can also introduce the Kilimanjaro for provincial horses?

More like horses bred in Afrika....

Following that logic the Everest should ne for Asian bred horses and the Kosciuszko for Australian bred.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 11:00am
Back to some form of sanity guys ...
intrepidarts
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by intrepidarts intrepidarts wrote:

Amazing these horses pushing around the sticks and all of the sudden competing for millions with the entry of the country championships and Kosciuszko... I'm sure they would have succedded in racing anyway but fantastic to be able to restrict these races to country trainers and draw focus encourage investment and push the spotlight on some of these areas that so badly need it !!!

Donate to the farmers today guys!!

Drought relief!!

Would be interesting to know the change in the landscape of owners potentially pushing good bloodstock to the country for the opportunity to run in these races -
intrepidarts
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 9:43am
https://www.racenet.com.au/news/comment--how-the-kosciuszko-negotiations-should-be-handled-20180730
Thoughts on this subject? Undoubtedly a percentage of winners will be totally unversed in the world of racehorse ownership and/or this type of negotiation?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 10:05am
50/50 split is a terrible idea. In a vast majority of years there will be a standout horse like Care to Think, that horse should have negotiating power to get 70-80% of the prizemoney due to the likelihood of him winning. 
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:20am
I'm sure there will be advice on hand if needed
intrepidarts
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 12:51pm
Agree with Speed. Owners put in thousands to get and maintain a good horse and a $5 ticket holder then asks for potentially half the $600K+?  Ridiculous. Even 25% is high. 
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

50/50 split is a terrible idea. In a vast majority of years there will be a standout horse like Care to Think, that horse should have negotiating power to get 70-80% of the prizemoney due to the likelihood of him winning. 

I think this will be a major factor in the negotiations.  If you won a slot and secured a horse with a decent chance of winning surely you would be happy to settle for a great chance at a lower percentage rather than bugger all chance of bigger money with a lesser horse
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:35pm
If I was eligible to buy a ticket and was lucky enough to win. I would offer 90% prizemoney to Care You Think's connections. ~80k for the 10% would do me fine.
Atreus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atreus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:43pm
Cannot agree with the sentiment that owners put in thousands so even a 25% split for the ticket holder is high.  These are country horses not G1 horses.  Today at Albury every race is for 20K prizemoney.  So if not for the Kosciuszko these owners would be running for 20K total prizemoney with an 11K first prize most of the time.  The owners should be grateful for the chance to win big money

The lottery players are paying for all of the prizemoney.  If a winning ticket holder accepts a 50% split they are effectively playing a lottery with a 50% takeout.  If they accept a 25% split for themselves they are playing a lottery with a 75% takeout which is a terrible deal for the ticket buyers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Atreus Atreus wrote:

Cannot agree with the sentiment that owners put in thousands so even a 25% split for the ticket holder is high.  These are country horses not G1 horses.  Today at Albury every race is for 20K prizemoney.  So if not for the Kosciuszko these owners would be running for 20K total prizemoney with an 11K first prize most of the time.  The owners should be grateful for the chance to win big money

The lottery players are paying for all of the prizemoney.  If a winning ticket holder accepts a 50% split they are effectively playing a lottery with a 50% takeout.  If they accept a 25% split for themselves they are playing a lottery with a 75% takeout which is a terrible deal for the ticket buyers

I agree the average should be around 50/50 but for the standout horses you'd be happy taking 20-30%.

As for your first part.. get real. They're trained in the country they're not country horses. You think Care To Think would be running for 11k in the bush instead of here? The top 5-6 in the market are all genuine Group horses.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
Yes there is obviously an incentive for owners to be generous but The Kosciuszko is not a lottery at all. It's an opportunity to "buy" into a horse for a day to run in a big prizemoney race where chances vary according to the horse selected. 

Quite a few of the top country horses rarely compete for $20K. Care To Think, Victorem, Eckstein, Don't Give a Damn, After All That, She Knows, The Monstar, Akasaki all regularly compete for far higher purses in city and provincial races. CTT's last runs were in $1.5M, $700K, $700K, $150K, 970K, $150K races. The big difference here is that the oppositionshould be easier overall, therefore the chances possibly better.

Having decided on your maximum takeout (depending on your wealth, demeanour, etc etc) you could easily run up a little macro which takes into account your winning chance according to the market and use that as a guide to your asking number. There's nothing to stop you from trying to negotiate a small future share in the horse if that's your go. 
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 2:19pm
I see one trainer has put out an advertisement for their horse as available for winning slot holders
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:38pm
I like the concept of this race. Has potential to be more successful than Country Championships, though no knock on the latter which is a totally different format and successful in its own right.

Keen on Don't Give A Damn. I think he's potentially a very smart horse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>