Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Kosciuszko 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Kosciuszko 2018
    Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:55pm
1200m race on Everest day, country trained horses, set weights (details to come).

Deserves a thread of its own. Interesting to see the slot concept has been expanded and 12 slots will be allocated via a public sweepstake (250,000 tix @ $5 each).

Williams Welcomes The Kosciuszko Challenge
  • By Ray Hickson

Leading country trainer Danny Williams has thrown his support behind The Kosciuszko concept and is already working on how to tackle the challenge of showcasing his best horses to gain places in the 12 horse field.

The Kosciuszko is run over 1200m under set weights and penalties conditions, carries prizemoney of $1.3 million and will be run at Royal Randwick on October 13 on the Everest program.

Like The Everest, a horse earns a run in the race via somebody owning that place and making a deal with a horse’s connections.

The major difference is that anybody can win one of those 12 places by purchasing a $5 ticket at TABs and AHA pubs across New South Wales.

“I think it’s a great concept and I’m highly excited it’s incorporated the punter in the pub and gives them an opportunity throughout NSW to select a horse,’’ Williams said.

“It’s a bit like a lottery. I honestly think it is going to be a real winner and bring Everest Day to the attention of a lot of people.’’

The $5 Kosciuszko sweep tickets go on sale from Thursday and the owners of the 12 places in the race will be known in mid-September and it will then be up to those winners, with assistance from Racing NSW, to source their Kosciuszko runners.

Williams has a number of horses that appear desirable like Country Championships runner-up Don’t Give A Damn, Kopi Luwak, the in-form She Knows, Acquittal and Highway Sixtysix.

He said now it’s up to him to work out programs particularly for those horses that need exposure.

“We’ll learn a lot about the concept from this year to next year,’’ he said.

“We are a bit shell-shocked at the moment but I think it’s a very positive concept. It’s doesn’t just give someone with the best horse an opportunity but someone lucky enough to be associated with drawing a horse.

“I know I am going to have to highlight my horses by the draw date.

“Horses like Don’t Give A Damn and She Knows, that perhaps have a bit of a following, may be more likely to get in based on what they’ve done already. As long as people know they are there to chase them.’’

Williams also welcomed increases in prizemoney for Highway races – he has won 15.5 Highways since their inception – from $60,000 to $75,000 from September 1 and the boost to those that don’t finish in the placings.

The trainer of horses finishing from fourth to tenth in races at metropolitan, provincial and country races will receive an extra payment to be credited to an owner’s account.

“That in itself is huge, particularly in the country it is going to give people confidence to have a horse in work,’’ Williams said.

“You know if you’re running sixth or eighth you’re picking up prizemoney to sustain having that horse in work.

“Ultimately I tell my owners to enjoy having a horse and our endeavour is to try and make it pay its way and have fun.’’

TAB’s market on The Kosciuszko has Care To Think a $6 favourite ahead of Victorem and Eckstein ($8) with Don’t Give A Damn at $11.

Tickets for The Everest race day, also featuring The Kosciuszko, are on sale now - starting from just $25 for early birds.

djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:11am
    You would hope horses the calibre of Care To Think and Victorem will have bigger fish to fry than this nonsense.

Instead of paying to 10th position how about making entry fees to race FREE ?

reductio ad absurdum
    Speediskey View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:42am
    Entry fees are collected by clubs, not Racing NSW. Beyond that I believe some clubs in NSW don't charge nomination fees or acceptance fees? Not entirely sure as I'm not from NSW. 

Also they're geldings.. the biggest fish to fry for them is the most money per race they can win. This will be it most likely.
    Red Hare View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:22pm
    Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

You would hope horses the calibre of Care To Think and Victorem will have bigger fish to fry than this nonsense.
    You would have to be off your rocker to dismiss a $750k+ first prize in a restricted race as nonsense. Even if the connections' take is to be negotiated.
    3blindmice View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:28pm
    It's more equitable to pay non-prizemoney earning starters a decent rebate than to subsidise them all with zero fees djebel. Some clubs already have starter rebates for unplaced horses. $200 typically.

In 2013 a country horse had to win 3.5 races on average to break even. Prizemoney increases have no doubt helped reduce that somewhat but plenty of horses/owners would be lucky to win half that number. I think it's a great innovation. 

Somehow I don't think that Matt Dunn, Jenny Graham and others would regard the Kosciuszko as nonsense especially with a share of $1.3M prizemoney on offer for a restricted race. Don't know what open company spring races would suit them but being 1200m both Care To Think and Victorem could use it as a stepping stone into the late Melb carnival. Light spring then into the autumn. I'm sure they'll weigh up their options and deal with the limitations of their horses.
    Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:09pm
    I’m more interested in The Hotham.
    VOYAGER View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:58pm
    A little tongue in cheek for Danny to come out and say it is good.

Like the idea of a lottery, to give punters a small part of the runners, instead of getting multi millionaires and billionaires to pay for slots. The race is worth $1.3 million, and five dollar tickets for the lottery, so that means they would need to sell 260,000 tickets to break even as far as the prizemoney is concerned.
    Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:39pm
    Ticket numbers are limited to 250,000 Voyager. It's highly probable that they already have significant sponsorship or are working on it now. 

Just searched and found this:
    Lion Nathan will be sponsoring The Kosciuszko race in association with its Kosciuszko beer brand. Racing NSW has pledged $125,000 from the sale of tickets in the Kosciuszko promotion to the Aussie Helpers charity to support NSW farmers. 

Speediskey View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:48pm
    Where did it say ticket numbers were limited to 250,000?
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:41pm
    Mentioned near the end of the presser which I linked in the other thread
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:43pm
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:16am
    Race conditions below. Surprising that Group placings aren't penalised.

1200m Randwick, max 12 starters.

Set weights/penalties.

Max topweight = 60kg
    Minimum         = 53kg
    Fillies/mares receive 2kg allowance

Open     57.5kg
    Class 6  56.5
    Class 5  56.0
    Class 4  55.0

Penalties are based on wins in races from 1 Jan 17 and are not cumulative

+2.5kg  Group Win
    +1.5kg  Listed Win or race $200,000+ prizemoney to the winner
    +1.0kg  Win in any race of $80,000-$199,999 prizemoney to the winner
    +0.5kg  Win in any race of $50,000-$79,999 prizemoney to the winner

djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:33am
    So it is basically a gelati race.

reductio ad absurdum
    Long Row View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Row Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:45am
    A great initiative. Lets face it horse ownership is expensive and beyond most of those who fund this industry, the punters.

To have the chance to choose a horse to represent you on a big day to win huge money... what a thrill and a once in a lifetime opportunity for those who wouldn't normally have that chance.

I would be all over this if I was in NSW. Hopefully VIC can do an equivalent, or come up with something, anything, interesting and engaging.

NSW clearly running the best show in recent years.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:51pm

So it is basically a gelati race.

On that basis most every race run in the last half century fits the same bill djebel. 
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:15pm
    I can already see it is encouraging the owners of Care To Think to aim downwards with their horse, therefore weakening the traditional top class races that he might otherwise aim at.

It will be run over a distance far too short for him so he does not enhance the races quality.

reductio ad absurdum
    Red Hare View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 2:44pm
    They should aim higher, like a $500k G1?
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 3:19pm

I can already see it is encouraging the owners of Care To Think to aim downwards with their horse, therefore weakening the traditional top class races that he might otherwise aim at.

It will be run over a distance far too short for him so he does not enhance the races quality.

Long bow that djebel. You seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about this bloke for some reason.LOL  A desire to see him stretched out in distance probably? 

He's eligible for weaker races than those and might need to contest a few to get his confidence back imo. He can engage top company next autumn or even have a trip down south later in the spring.

Nevertheless, as an owner, which is preferable: throwing him into much harder races for possibly less prizemoney or contesting a $1.3M race at set weights over a distance currently within his range? So far he's a sprinter and I have no doubt he'd be competitive at Randwick over 1200m given a suitable track. Not a bad choice to have for a trainer or owner though eh?
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 4:51pm
    Unless the race is a 1600m+ contest it is not currently in his range.

By the time this race comes around how many lead ups will Care To Think and others have contested.

Of course people are going to aim at a nothing $1.3m race, and miss what their horse might potentially achieve.

This will weaken other established quality races.

reductio ad absurdum
    correctweight View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 12:41am
    If Care To Think runs to form he will blitz any horse eligible for this.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 1:03am
    Eckstein might have something to say about that CW. 

$6.50 early doors if you're game this far out.
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 2:24am
    His trainer is quoted as saying he will go first up into the race.

I wonder if he sticks to that plan. Any hard racing prior will make him too dour.

Really by the middle of october he should be getting to 2000m.

reductio ad absurdum
    Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:43am
    The Monstar & Beauty Flame if its sound would be good hopes
    correctweight View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:57am
    6.50 at Sportsbet. I cant bet there anymore. I got Care To Think for a stack when confirmed yesterday at TAB at 6.00 though.
    intrepidarts View Drop Down
    Yearling
    Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 12:39am
    Tickets now available on TAB websites & App
    intrepidarts
    Phantom View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:32am
    Care To think first up into this should just win. Likely to have one trial/jump out at his home track with stablemates and then turn up and be the Kosciusko King
    The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
    Passing Through View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:40am
    Hugh Bowman booked apparently. 
    intrepidarts View Drop Down
    Yearling
    Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intrepidarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 12:57pm
    Amazing these horses pushing around the sticks and all of the sudden competing for millions with the entry of the country championships and Kosciuszko... I'm sure they would have succedded in racing anyway but fantastic to be able to restrict these races to country trainers and draw focus encourage investment and push the spotlight on some of these areas that so badly need it !!!

Donate to the farmers today guys!!

Drought relief!!
    intrepidarts
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 1:40pm
    Hear hear!
    Afros View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:09pm
    Perhaps they can also introduce the Kilimanjaro for provincial horses?
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>