Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

RNSW 2018 Initiatives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RNSW 2018 Initiatives
    Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:27pm
Just being announced.  Prizemoney increases (down to 10th) etc resulting from tax parity increase

Will probably be podcast on SSR and details posted on RNSW website I presume: 
http://www.skyracing.com.au/index.php?component=content&Itemid=114&id=96/

Big news for country training.
The Kosciuszko - a 1200m $1.28+M dollar race on Everest day. 
$5 Sweepstake to be held in conjunction with the race. 
250,000 tickets - 12 "slots" (that word again) for lucky ticketholders.

Edited by Gay3 - 18 Jul 2018 at 4:57pm
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:31pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
"The [$1.3M] Kosciuszko race will be run over 1200m and will be run at set weights and penalties, with eligibility restricted to horses trained in Country NSW as at 18 July 2018."

Danny Williams and others are picking their lips as we speak
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:47pm
Provincials get a good boost in the 4th-10th prize money so even more city horses will smash the provincial circuit.  Country, in addition the Highways now have a million dollar plus race.  The way I see it, Provincial trainers/Owners have missed out again.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:58pm
Racing NSW say that they want to spread the money around. How about restricting trainers to having no more than 60 horses in work at one time. Would stop big stables stacking fields, allow smaller trainers to build up teams and give more people a bit of the cake.
Do not think it is good for owners or punters for trainers to have hundreds of horses, and not even see some of their own horses.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

Racing NSW say that they want to spread the money around. How about restricting trainers to having no more than 60 horses in work at one time. Would stop big stables stacking fields, allow smaller trainers to build up teams and give more people a bit of the cake.
Do not think it is good for owners or punters for trainers to have hundreds of horses, and not even see some of their own horses.

Why is it good to lower the standard of racing?

The big trainers get more horses because they are better. By restricting things you are literally just making racing worse in the country. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

Provincials get a good boost in the 4th-10th prize money so even more city horses will smash the provincial circuit.  Country, in addition the Highways now have a million dollar plus race.  The way I see it, Provincial trainers/Owners have missed out again.
Prov trainers/owners can always continue to raid country races if it's a real problem.

Some interesting numbers were thrown up during the presser. (From memory) Prizemoney across the board is up 175% while prizemoney in some areas is double what it was a few years ago. Extension of the additional prizemoney to 10th will see jockeys earning ~$350 per ride. Puts many in a rarefied income bracket.
Atreus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atreus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:18pm
Totally agree Batman

Limit total stable numbers and also limit number of stable entries per race as they do in Formula One, Tour de France, the Olympics etc etc.  HKJC also have a stable limit and everyone always says they are the best

Limiting stable numbers is the best and fairest way to spread the pie.  Paying more prizemoney to run 10th just encourages more horses to run 10th rather than win

rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:22pm
Might as well send the horses to be trained in the country and get all of the benefits of a country horse if that is the case, which I suspect a lot of people may do.  Hence, the provincial trainer will suffer.

Country horses get restricted Country maidens, Highway races, this new million dollar race in addition to the Country Championships and being able to compete in the Provincial/Country maidens.

The only stand alone Provincial incentive is the championships.  So you get to compete agains the likes of Kris Lees etc who in effect should be operating on a City permit given the size of their operations.

I would like to see some sort of incentive for the provincials to keep them in the game.  Maybe a bonus scheme like Canberra have with The Federal.  Pick a race each week with a bonus for the first 5 Provincial horses across the line.  
Underground View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Underground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:23pm
tbh Hong Kong racing couldn't be more incomparable to Australian racing than it currently is. the stable limit works there because it is a completely different game 
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:28pm
I don't think we need an overall stable limit per trainer but I think there should be a limit on how many horses you can have to be classed as a country or provincial trainer.

If people want to spend $200 odd a day for Waller and believe that of the 1000 or so horses on his books that he is actually training their horse, good luck to them.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

The big trainers get more horses because they are better. By restricting things you are literally just making racing worse in the country. 

Have to disagree there. There are many 20 horse trainers as good as the big names. Most big stables are run by good small trainers running different arms of the stable. Just feel it doesn’t lower the standards, more like stops stables controlling racing.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Atreus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atreus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm
Hong Kong racing is different but the stable limit is still a good idea that is equally applicable to Australia.  Maybe have a higher limit than 60 but definitely way lower than 600 which is where one stable is at

Most professional sports have a salary cap or limit on number of entries per team because it is a good idea to keep the sport competitive and not allow monopolies or oligopolies to develop
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm

I don't think we need an overall stable limit per trainer but I think there should be a limit on how many horses you can have to be classed as a country or provincial trainer.

If people want to spend $200 odd a day for Waller and believe that of the 1000 or so horses on his books that he is actually training their horse, good luck to them.

Another interesting point
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm
Canberra get nothing as per usual
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:33pm

From a lot of people I talk to, they find Waller having so many horses in so many races is lowering the entertainment aspect of racing, perhaps not so much the quality.  I think stakes racing should be left alone as we want the best we can get regardless of who trains, but outside of stakes I wouldn't have a problem with a limit on how many horses an individual trainer can have in a race.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
Sorry but NSW races already have tiny field sizes.. so your solution is to make them even smaller?

NSW Provincial prizemoney is incredible. People will whinge about anything. If you're a trainer genuinely as good or even near the level as the big guys and you can't attract owners, then I'm sorry but you must be absolutely rubbish at marketing yourself, in which case your business (of which a lot of the game is getting good horses) doesn't really deserve to succeed. Every business needs to be good at marketing, why should trainers be any different?
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:46pm

Sorry but NSW races already have tiny field sizes.. so your solution is to make them even smaller?

NSW Provincial prizemoney is incredible. People will whinge about anything. If you're a trainer genuinely as good or even near the level as the big guys and you can't attract owners, then I'm sorry but you must be absolutely rubbish at marketing yourself, in which case your business (of which a lot of the game is getting good horses) doesn't really deserve to succeed. Every business needs to be good at marketing, why should trainers be any different?

So the same goes for the country as well then?  Take away all their incentives as well because if they can train they will win, if not they don't deserve it either?
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Since when has Canberra been in NSW?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Anouncement of prizemoney and background: 

The argument about limiting stable size has been done to death. If it's an interest I suggest you start a thread on that specific topic.

I read a comment from Danny Williams on Racenet regarding prizemoney increases (prior to today) and raiders. He said increased prizemoney was great for owners and trainers and wasn't concerned about prov/city raiders, although it has to be said he's hardly typical of a country trainer.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Since when has Canberra been in NSW?
It is literally IN NSW (lol) but is a separate racing jurisdiction as we know. Some trainers out of Canberra (MDale, Dryden/Collings, Joseph/Jones) have satellite stables to try to get around the problem. ACT is too small to compete so I'd guess that even more trainers will look at moving or extending.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:11pm

So the same goes for the country as well then?  Take away all their incentives as well because if they can train they will win, if not they don't deserve it either?

Obviously all levels need good enough prizemoney to survive. In NSW the levels are incredibly high, if you can't make a good go of it there then, yep. Get out.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:30pm
Another issue I have is, NSW really don’t care about country races.
I was at a race track in country NSW (Pooncarie)
The ladies bathroom didn’t even have water.
The toilet was literally a hole in the ground.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:35pm

Might as well send the horses to be trained in the country and get all of the benefits of a country horse if that is the case, which I suspect a lot of people may do.  Hence, the provincial trainer will suffer.

Country horses get restricted Country maidens, Highway races, this new million dollar race in addition to the Country Championships and being able to compete in the Provincial/Country maidens.

The only stand alone Provincial incentive is the championships.  So you get to compete agains the likes of Kris Lees etc who in effect should be operating on a City permit given the size of their operations.

I would like to see some sort of incentive for the provincials to keep them in the game.  Maybe a bonus scheme like Canberra have with The Federal.  Pick a race each week with a bonus for the first 5 Provincial horses across the line.  

I don't understand the logic or the problem. Prov minimum prizemoney was 50% higher than country prior to today's announcement. Prov horses can, and do regularly,  contest country races. If you're happy with a prov trainer why would you move? Prov infrastructure/facilities far exceeds most country venues.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm

Obviously all levels need good enough prizemoney to survive. In NSW the levels are incredibly high, if you can't make a good go of it there then, yep. Get out.

The prize money is awesome, I haven't had a dig at that.  I am saying the availability of it is not on a level playing field.  Take away all of these country incentives and see how many go out of business, because they simply aren't good enough.

Not many small trainers on the provincial circuit have a Jadeskye or Australian bloodstock syndicate behind them, providing a lot of the marketing for the trainer as a flow on effect.  If the small trainer does invest in good marketing, it costs money, their fees go up, and it is harder to get clients in.

How about, in a slight twist on your view, if these big time city trainers are so good - then why the heck do they need to be raiding provincial and country races at such high rates?  Its not like you only get a few city horses outside the metro meetings.

rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

I don't understand the logic or the problem. Prov minimum prizemoney was 50% higher than country prior to today's announcement. Prov horses can, and do regularly,  contest country races. If you're happy with a prov trainer why would you move? Prov infrastructure/facilities far exceeds most country venues.

The logic is - if I am going to race horses for country prize money, why pay Provincial level fees, extra transport costs to get them to the venue as well as miss out on the chance to compete in the restricted country races, highway races and this new race announced today.

The problem is that so many Provincial races are dominated by city horses or city sized operations running in the provincials.  Makes it hard for the genuine provincials. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:51pm

The prize money is awesome, I haven't had a dig at that.  I am saying the availability of it is not on a level playing field.  Take away all of these country incentives and see how many go out of business, because they simply aren't good enough.

Not many small trainers on the provincial circuit have a Jadeskye or Australian bloodstock syndicate behind them, providing a lot of the marketing for the trainer as a flow on effect.  If the small trainer does invest in good marketing, it costs money, their fees go up, and it is harder to get clients in.

How about, in a slight twist on your view, if these big time city trainers are so good - then why the heck do they need to be raiding provincial and country races at such high rates?  Its not like you only get a few city horses outside the metro meetings.

Correct but the opposite of what you're claiming, as I wrote above. We've yet to see new numbers but previously minimums were $20K country and $30K prov.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:58pm
City trainers send horses to prov and country races because they aren't good enough for the city and/or they need a confidence boost and/or the races suit. Ditto prov trainers sending horses to the country and sometimes "stealing" city trainer money by contesting city races with the right horse in the right form. 

Trainers and owners across the state deserve to be funded because they put on racing 364 days of the year. Overall, owners, trainers and jockeys have never had it better - all courtesy of punters.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:02pm
Transport fees obviously apply to country trainers chasing wins also. It's a big state with big distances once you cross the GDR.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
Agree with what you are saying 3bm, but what I am saying is, RNSW has put so many incentives out there for country racing and I think it is great.  At the moment however, we don't see that level of incentive available and restricted to provincial participants.  And no we don't see it in the City either but they get the significant chunk of the prize money and the power to attract better horses/bigger clients by being a city trainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>