Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The most underated Jockey in Australia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most underated Jockey in Australia
    Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:09am
For me Damian Lane.

Awards often miss the best and most effective people in their sport.
The brownlow medal is a great example, many champions not even polling many votes.

This boy is at the top of his game.

Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:34am
Linda Meech - end of
It's only called gambling when you lose
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:57am
If you’ve got Meech, Lane or Mott on in vic then you know you’re going alright.

There are a couple of young kids who will be stars of the future, just gotta keep their heads down.
T Nugent, L German & T Stockdale

Vic Apprentice Academy has improved bucketloads in the past 10 years.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, just me talking dribble.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:11am
There is only one "good" rider in every race.     TBV contributors tell us that each day.
I believe there are quite a lot of excellent riders around most racetracks.      The top riders in their areas, do have the experience and are getting the competition against their peers day after day , which gives them an advantage.   They know the tracks and are quick to ride the type of race to suit each mount.   They get the better rides and the results over time tell the story.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:46am
McGilliviria & Ron Stewart. Both are absolutely on top of their game.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:18am
Frankie is underrated.
reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:54am
Lucy Warwick, would hold her own in MEL or SYD given the right backing.
blackbook View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackbook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:18pm
Jamie Mott. Bloke is a gun that has been limited by his weight. Would have him on mine in a Gr1 without issue.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Lucy Warwick, would hold her own in MEL or SYD given the right backing.

She's in the weakest state for jockey depth already. She's a very good rider but since losing the claim getting the opportunity is proving tough.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

For me Damian Lane.

The brownlow medal is a great example, many champions not even polling many votes.

Goes well on a Weir runner.

But I stay clear when he rides for Godolphin.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Straight Connector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

For me Damian Lane.

Goes well on a Weir runner.

But I stay clear when he rides for Godolphin.

A very good assessment right here.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:26pm
Have never really noticed that but Lane rode Demolition okay Sat. Has a positive POT for Weir and Laurie.

Can't see how Lane is underrated, possibly marginally overrated if anything. Avdulla keeps getting the job done without being recognised as a top flight jockey. Both of them make regular blunders which punters focus on I guess. Unlike Bowman whose ride on In Her Time on Sat was appalling, as was Rachel King's on Alassio. Sub 33 sectionals 1000-400m, little wonder those horses compounded.

Underrated city jock who should get better rides - JCollett
therealkramer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:48pm
Chris Parnham. Lost his claim but improved as a senior rider-no easy feat. He's had no trouble making waves over east, too.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Have never really noticed that but Lane rode Demolition okay Sat. Has a positive POT for Weir and Laurie.

Can't see how Lane is underrated, possibly marginally overrated if anything. Avdulla keeps getting the job done without being recognised as a top flight jockey. Both of them make regular blunders which punters focus on I guess. Unlike Bowman whose ride on In Her Time on Sat was appalling, as was Rachel King's on Alassio. Sub 33 sectionals 1000-400m, little wonder those horses compounded.

In Her Time was chewing grass at a holiday camp on Sat 3BM.... Typo I expect.      4 wide Hughie never rides bad , when he isn't taking a doze.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm

That is what made me think of it.

When you load up rarely do I look at a jockey and think at this stage the way he is going there is very minimal risk in the ride.
That came straight to my mind, probably attributed to all the good rides he has had for Weir.

When I watched rhe Demolition replay he went for him when I think a lot of jockeys would of waited at least a couple more seconds and it made all the difference.

Maybe it was a fluke if not he is reading a race superbly at the moment.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:52pm
There would need to be jockey ratings published somewhere to see who is the most underrated. Where are they?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:56pm
K.Forrester. Following in his old mans footsteps (Kevin) !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

In Her Time was chewing grass at a holiday camp on Sat 3BM.... Typo I expect.      4 wide Hughie never rides bad , when he isn't taking a doze.

Ah yes Macca, big blunder. The Waller perennial placegetter I meant 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:05pm
Apologies to that very good mare. Perhaps Hughie also made the same mistake. She undoubtedly could have sat there in that company and still won. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:06pm
In Times of War
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 2:42pm
If Tye Angland isn't in the conversation for 'best in the country', then he is certainly underrated.

I'm not sure whether he's over- or underrated, but Brad Stewart has certainly had his snout in the trough since his return from suspension (assuming the month long layoff was a suspension). Bloke has ridden 13 winners from his 30 rides since returning.

Mitch Pateman is in a similar purple patch.

Black Prince 2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:55pm
Linda Meech for sure
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

If Tye Angland isn't in the conversation for 'best in the country', then he is certainly underrated.

I'm not sure whether he's over- or underrated, but Brad Stewart has certainly had his snout in the trough since his return from suspension (assuming the month long layoff was a suspension). Bloke has ridden 13 winners from his 30 rides since returning.

Mitch Pateman is in a similar purple patch.

Agree Brad Stewart is very underated. Great patient rider and a good head for pace.
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
 Post Reply Post Reply