Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Naturalism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naturalism
    Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:20pm
Passed away overnight aged 29
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 3:28pm
Was he retired at the stud down near Moruya still ? 
R I P
animals before people.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm
Top-class racehorse and stallion Naturalism has died at Meringo Stud on the NSW south coast aged 29.

"He retired from racing in 1993 and stood at Segenhoe Stud before relocating to Meringo Stud," Kylie Mercer from Meringo said.

"Naturalism served mares up until 2010 and had been enjoying his retirement at our stud.

"He was a favourite of all at Meringo Stud and we feel privileged to have looked after him.

"He was also a favourite of the Freedman brothers and they were here not long ago paying him a visit. He will be missed by all."

In a stellar career, Naturalism won three Group One races, the AJC Derby, Rosehill Guineas and Caulfield Stakes and another eight black-type races.

He fell in the 1992 Cox Plate but recovered to run a close second in the Japan Cup later that year.

Naturalism retired with 12 wins and 12 placings from 34 starts.

Lee Freedman rated Naturalism as one of the five best horses he ever trained.

"He was a brilliant horse and had the ability to run sensational sectionals," he said..

"He should have won Super Impose's Cox Plate in 1992 and probably his greatest performance was his second in the Japan Cup as he wasn't really a 2400 metre horse."

Freedman's trainer brother Richard posted a tribute on Twitter.

"I'm so sad to say that Naturalism - perhaps my favourite horse ever - died today at Meringo Stud. He was 29. I saw him only a month or two ago and he seemed so happy and vital. He was pound for pound the best horse I've laid a hand on. RIP old mate." he said.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:28pm
His battles with Veandercross and his loss in the Victoria Derby will live long in my memory.

Probably the only time Steve King out rode Oliver. 
reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:48pm
Meringo Stud, thats the place.  Tony Hartnell,s stud.   Thanks.

I heard somewhere that Strategic has also passed away at Cootamundra, about 22 I think.
animals before people.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 6:00pm
We used to see him every morning, walk and a pick in the arvo's, he was Ab Fab, Lovely tweet from his old mate Richard too, RIP and enjoy the company of your buddy Super!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 7:01pm
One of my favourite races to call is the 1992 Caulfield Stakes where the two Phantom brothers were in front, and Naturalism drove through in between to get up and win right on the line.

Even though I backed the NZ brothers, it was one of his best performances, as the brothers were high quality, group 1 gallopers!

Great memories and I hope he has a great paddock in the sky, he deserves it!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

One of my favourite races to call is the 1992 Caulfield Stakes where the two Phantom brothers were in front, and Naturalism drove through in between to get up and win right on the line.

Even though I backed the NZ brothers, it was one of his best performances, as the brothers were high quality, group 1 gallopers!

Great memories and I hope he has a great paddock in the sky, he deserves it!

My vhs of that racing year no longer works unfortunately.....one of my favourite finishes of all time and an awesome call by Greg Miles.  Wish i could find it on youtube...
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 4:59am
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
 Post Reply Post Reply