Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

4 Corners - Aquanita

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:43pm
I agree with Judge on the V'Landys issue.   At least he faces the fact that there are issues, and they need to be dealt with.  Unlike a lot of others who persistently think it can just go on untouched like it has since the year dot.  He raises issues that many dont want to face.  As Judge says, not all who are concerned with welfare issues are tree huggers .  V'Landy can see the vultures hovering.  And OMG those blokes and their horses out the car window segment !!!Cry NOT a good look really Embarrassed At the same time it was a dull bit of work that just rehashed stuff thats almost been done to death. 
animals before people.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:52pm
GYGT you must be from an ag background. I have sat on the fence when all the talk turns to the terrible treatment of our "sporting" animals. I am from an ag background and all of our animals are treated humanely. BUT when their time is up and they are beyond useful to the task they are bred,nurtured and cared for, we have to make a humane decision. Do we just take them to a back paddock and euthanise them peacefully (I have done this), do we send them to market, knowing the bidders represent abattoirs (I have done this also), do we just let them live on and deteriorate and die miserably (I have never done this). They are animals, they have a shorter lifespan than us humans.
Now thoroughbreds. Officially "we" breed 15,000 per year. 30% don't make it to the races and of the others only 30% win 1 race. When these horses are, as above, past their use by date, many find their way to other disciplines, but some/many/few/very few ? are surplus to requirements. What happens to them?
Options:
1 let them die painfully like a lady in our district whom the RSPCA has prosecuted numerous times to no avail, she still owns and mistreats
2. Put them in a big paddock and make sure they are looked after withdrenching, farrier work and ample feed to live a good life until that humane decision needs to be made. (I do this now with 3 broodmare and 4 geldings all retired from racing and/or breeding)
3. Have the industry do a feasibility study into establishing protocols for farming retired thoroughbreds, cleaning their systems of racing drugs and supplements.
4. Have the thoroughbred industry provide funds to establish proper, humane, clean and OH&S accredited horse abattoirs where horses can be euthanised.
If 3 and 4 could be viable, we then allow market forces dictate where the meat could/would go.
This discussion, I think, should be an unemotional one by forward thinking people, not the radical Animal Liberationists, or vegans, etc. as well, this discussion I think should also include provision for the greyhound industry.
Over to you all.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:54pm
OH has made 3 of these for under $1k & you could easily use smaller gauge steel.
They're far safer, horses travel straight & they love it Smile

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:21pm
A couple of anti RSPCA posts on FB, in response to their offerings last night:

Tara Mills Looks to me like they used that bloody Kim Hollingsworth's poor starved horses...... How long did it take for the RSPCA to go out and act on those horses behalf! Wayyyyy too long. And they only acted because the facebook attention was growing!!

Janet Melvin RSPCA what a load of useless mongrels. Have just left several thousand hens to die from starvation for the last three weeks. All could have been saved. How dare they take to the racing industry!!!

Beck Groen Yep I hate the rspca I’ve contacted them numerous times my old neighbours had geese and cows as well as cutting horses his cows died starved to death in his paddocks the smell was horrible.
I watched him one day kick a geese to death.. I had seen numerous dead geese they did nothing I was so upset we sold and moved.

PETITION:

Despite the RSPCA first being notified of the situation on the 10th of June, and being sent the shocking footage of the hens starving and dying on the 20th of June, so far not a single hen has been rescued from the property.
Not only is this a clear case of animal cruelty and negligence, it has also shocked the Australian public who trust and rely upon the RSPCA to protect vulnerable animals.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:26pm
Are the RSPCA inadequately resourced ?
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:28pm
Last nights program was not motivated by or for the RSPCA, They were asked questions specially aimed at racing.

THEY were not out to attack racing last night.

reductio ad absurdum
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

OH has made 3 of these for under $1k & you could easily use smaller gauge steel.
They're far safer, horses travel straight & they love it Smile

Are they legal in NSW Gay3?

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

GYGT you must be from an ag background. I have sat on the fence when all the talk turns to the terrible treatment of our "sporting" animals. I am from an ag background and all of our animals are treated humanely. BUT when their time is up and they are beyond useful to the task they are bred,nurtured and cared for, we have to make a humane decision. Do we just take them to a back paddock and euthanise them peacefully (I have done this), do we send them to market, knowing the bidders represent abattoirs (I have done this also), do we just let them live on and deteriorate and die miserably (I have never done this). They are animals, they have a shorter lifespan than us humans.
Now thoroughbreds. Officially "we" breed 15,000 per year. 30% don't make it to the races and of the others only 30% win 1 race. When these horses are, as above, past their use by date, many find their way to other disciplines, but some/many/few/very few ? are surplus to requirements. What happens to them?
Options:
1 let them die painfully like a lady in our district whom the RSPCA has prosecuted numerous times to no avail, she still owns and mistreats
2. Put them in a big paddock and make sure they are looked after withdrenching, farrier work and ample feed to live a good life until that humane decision needs to be made. (I do this now with 3 broodmare and 4 geldings all retired from racing and/or breeding)
3. Have the industry do a feasibility study into establishing protocols for farming retired thoroughbreds, cleaning their systems of racing drugs and supplements.
4. Have the thoroughbred industry provide funds to establish proper, humane, clean and OH&S accredited horse abattoirs where horses can be euthanised.
If 3 and 4 could be viable, we then allow market forces dictate where the meat could/would go.
This discussion, I think, should be an unemotional one by forward thinking people, not the radical Animal Liberationists, or vegans, etc. as well, this discussion I think should also include provision for the greyhound industry.
Over to you all.

Thumbs Up
Most country people would agree with most of what you have posted. But not the 16 year old girl in the city.
These days you'd be lucky to have the firearm to put an anmal down. If you can afford a vet or can find one that is willing to travel to put an animal down, good luck.

The RSPCA's Chief Scientist says the abattoir is the preferred option. V'Landys says you can't do that in NSW. 

No win for NSW owners.

The discussion you described would be great but don't hold your breathe.

scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

I turned it off when DOB came on, .......please, don't insult what intelligence I have left, Next thing, Peter Foster will be appointed integrity commissioner. 

He came across like someone who was totally innocent and only interested in a fair go for all.
But, he wasn't found innocent was he? And he certainly does have an axe to grind.

He was a poor choice if 4 Corners wanted the show to look open and honest.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Last nights program was not motivated by or for the RSPCA, They were asked questions specially aimed at racing.

THEY were not out to attack racing last night.

Spot on. Your comment is easy to understand for a reasonably educated person.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Fair comment Oversee - EXCEPT - the former are farmed animals for the purpose to be eaten / used by us to sustain life. Thoroughbreds on the other hand are specifically bred to race so that people can PUNT on them - no other reason. Big difference in my opinion. People don't have to get their punting fix on live animals racing around the track. For every enthusiast on here there are a thousand punters who don't give a toss about horses - all about gambling & if you take the industry away they will quite happily punt on Trackside, Sport, machines or the like. The Industry must do better if it wants to survive 
Some animals are more equal than others is not an argument made by animal activists.
Who experiences the better quality of life, a racehorse or a battery caged hen?
Thoroughbred are not specifically bred so that people can punt of them and there is nothing immoral about punting regardless.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Originally posted by Spearmint Spearmint wrote:

What an unbelievable mishmash of issues Four Corners tried to cover in that story last night.
It was all over the place and tried to cover too many things and just came across as an attempt to discredit horse racing in general.

It was nothing like the greyhound expose which concentrated mainly on the one issue of live baiting to try and give some greyhounds a perceived edge.
It was cruel and deserved to be exposed.

This story on the evils of horse racing was a very ordinary effort which will confirm the prejudices of many.

It certainly confirmed one prejudice of mine.

Vlandys is a very divisive person and I question his motives and his vision for the future of horse racing in Australia.

I’ve never been a fan but I thought Vlandys came across quite well last night. Some of his solutions might be impractical but he understands an essential truth- society has changed and public perception is important. To characterise all those concerned with welfare issues as “tree huggers” or “lefties” (as some in here seem intent on doing) is wrong-headed and self defeating. Concerns are broader than that. I think he’s just being a hard headed realist on that point.
He should be fired for his comments in the meeting where he ceded moral authority to political agitators, would make a terrible politician. He made it seem like the activists have a point and racing has serious issues regarding animal welfare that must be addressed. Even if that is the correct position, which I would dispute, that is a horrible line to take.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:54pm
By Vlandys own admission these people are not going to stop and they have a whole list of complaints they are going to make so why would you cede them any moral authority whatsoever? All you succeed in doing is propping up your opposition it does not make you look more reasonable, if anything it makes them look like they have a point.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:55pm

Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

I was interested in the RNSW ban on training from vehicles and its effect on trainers in remoter areas with limited and reducing access to track riders. Has been done for decades, apparently with few problems despite the problematic safety issues. Given the number of serious injuries to track riders I'm not sure safety can be used a s a reason for banning the practice????

Watching the footage last night I could see why it was banned on public property and on Licenced racing property.

Liability? Irrespective there should have been consultation and warning.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:59pm
What I will never understand is why dogs, cats, sheep, pigs, cattle etc must be registered by law & can therefore be followed from birth to death but not horses Confused
Some say "Oh another expense" but all the above cost & if you can't afford a small annual fee, you certainly won't be caring appropriately for them.
Charge more for serving stallions too which would cut down some of these non TB backyarders who churn out stock solely to send to market totally unhandled & with an expectation of at least getting meat price for them.

Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

What an unbelievable mishmash of issues Four Corners tried to cover in that story last night.
It was all over the place and tried to cover too many things and just came across as an attempt to discredit horse racing in general.

It was nothing like the greyhound expose which concentrated mainly on the one issue of live baiting to try and give some greyhounds a perceived edge.
It was cruel and deserved to be exposed.

This story on the evils of horse racing was a very ordinary effort which will confirm the prejudices of many.

It certainly confirmed one prejudice of mine.

Vlandys is a very divisive person and I question his motives and his vision for the future of horse racing in Australia.

I’ve never been a fan but I thought Vlandys came across quite well last night. Some of his solutions might be impractical but he understands an essential truth- society has changed and public perception is important. To characterise all those concerned with welfare issues as “tree huggers” or “lefties” (as some in here seem intent on doing) is wrong-headed and self defeating. Concerns are broader than that. I think he’s just being a hard headed realist on that point.
He should be fired for his comments in the meeting where he ceded moral authority to political agitators, would make a terrible politician. He made it seem like the activists have a point and racing has serious issues regarding animal welfare that must be addressed. Even if that is the correct position, which I would dispute, that is a horrible line to take.
Sneck, that is partly one of the reasons why I don't trust his motives. Just because vlandys sounds like a foghorn does not mean he is sending out the correct message of impending doom!!
Did you hear him say. " Even though we know the whips are padded and they don't hurt the horses, it is the 16 yo old girls perception that they do"
If he believes that this is true then he is letting a persons perception force him to change the reality of the situation as he sees it.....
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:07pm

Options:
Over to you all.

All I can say is - if only there were more like you! Abattoirs are horrible things for animals. They sense, smell, and hear death long before being "stunned". Many would hope this was an absolute last resort. 

As you suggest, there are no simple, painless answers. Money must be spent and tough decisions made to clean up the worst of it while acknowledging realities.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm

Options:
Over to you all.

All I can say is - if only there were more like you! Abattoirs are horrible things for animals. They sense, smell, and hear death long before being "stunned". Many would hope this was an absolute last resort. 

As you suggest, there are no simple, painless answers. Money must be spent and tough decisions made to clean up the worst of it while acknowledging realities.
Well Said, and with heart.....good on you.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:19pm

Are the RSPCA inadequately resourced ?
Not according to the financials of the governing body when i last looked. How much and how that is used at the operational level may be the issue. Might be a good topic for 4Corners. Some of those who have posted on TBV about their experiences should consider emailing the ABC requesting them to look at the topic. They undoubtedly do a lot of good but are let down by instances quoted. They also have staff protection issues - including an "unsolved" murder at Mortlake - as we know from media reports over the years.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:23pm
I have never liked V'landys full stop, an elitist class divider with very little knowledge off grass roots racing traditions, he's now in bed with the AFL doing a feasibility study on having a football ground in the middle of Randwick racecourse, 5yrs time if this blokes still here ...pokies? ...surely this is an April 1 joke.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:24pm
LOL No gelati!!

Terry Bailey: Maybe I shouldn't have given Robert Smerdon's phone back

Terry Bailey: Maybe I shouldnt have given Robert Smerdons phone back
RV chief steward Terry Bailey Photo: Darryl Sherer
Article Author

Ben Dorries

Outgoing Racing Victoria chief steward Terry Bailey has conceded it was “maybe” a mistake, in hindsight, to hand Robert Smerdon’s mobile phone back to him rather than having it forensically examined.

Speaking on Melbourne’s RSN radio, Bailey was quizzed on why stewards returned Smerdon’s phone after only a cursory examination on the day of the Aquanita raceday treatment bust at Flemington last spring.

Doper Greg Nelligan’s phone turned up a treasure trove of thousands of explosive messages relating to raceday treatment and now Bailey admits stewards should have kept Smerdon’s phone rather than allowing him to leave with it.

“Maybe we should have in hindsight, knowing what we subsequently knew after Mr Nelligan’s phone was imaged,” Bailey said on RSN.

“I don’t think anyone in their wildest dreams would have suspected what came up on his (Nelligan’s) phone.

“But we made a decision on the day … charges were proven and Mr Smerdon got a life ban.”

The decision by stewards to return Smerdon’s phone without forensic imaging was one of the questions asked on the Four Corners ABC show on Monday night.

Trainer Danny O’Brien also told Four Corners he believed the treatment he received from stewards over his cobalt case was far tougher and more thorough than the more polite approach taken with Smerdon.

In stark contrast to handing Smerdon’s phone back, O’Brien said that when stewards raided his stables in 2015 they locked the stables down for two days and went through every piece of digital technology they could find.

However Bailey, speaking on RSN, claimed there were stark differences in the cases.

“With respect to the Danny O’Brien and (Mark) Kavanagh (cobalt) matters, we had three weeks headstart as far as being notified of irregularities and positive swabs, we had more time to get processes in place,” Bailey said.

“The Aquanita business unfolded in the space of half an hour in space of one of our biggest days.

“It (the differences between investigations of the cases) was purely preparation.”

Trainer Mathew Ellerton told Four Corners he had alerted stewards many years ago of suspicious behaviour at Aquanita.

Bailey says he has no memory of having such a conversation with Ellerton, although he concedes stewards knew of the Aquanita rumours for many years.

“As far as the rumours, we have all heard the rumours but it’s a matter of having the evidence, we eventually got there,” Bailey told RSN.

“We had measures in place for a long time with Aquanita, I must admit it was brazen what they were doing actually at the track, but we certainly weren’t sitting on our hands.

“We knew the rumours and we were doing our best to get the evidence we needed.

“Cases have shown in the past unless you catch them red-handed it is very difficult to prove.”

Smerdon is appealing against his life ban from racing and against his $90,000 fine stemming from the Aquanita affair.

Fellow Group I winning trainer Stuart Webb is also appealing his guilty verdict and the four-year disqualification he was handed for his role in the raceday treatment saga.

They have joined fellow trainers Liam Birchley (banned for one year) and Tony Vasil (banned for three years) in appealing against the findings and the penalties.

Bailey has worked his last day as Victoria’s chief racing steward and will soon take up a post in Singapore.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:33pm

Sneck, that is partly one of the reasons why I don't trust his motives. Just because vlandys sounds like a foghorn does not mean he is sending out the correct message of impending doom!!
Did you hear him say. " Even though we know the whips are padded and they don't hurt the horses, it is the 16 yo old girls perception that they do"
If he believes that this is true then he is letting a persons perception force him to change the reality of the situation as he sees it.....

V'landys is a responsible adult and a realist. His actions from very early on have been with the best interests of the industry moving forward. Their establishment of a retirement property shows they are serious about racehorse welfare. A good time to be doing these things because the industry won't always be awash with money. The whip rule is a concession which costs the industry nothing apart from a bit of angst. Don't follow his actions closely but can't ever recall him suggesting that breeders were part of the problem. They should be part of the $$$$ solution
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I have never liked V'landys full stop, an elitist class divider with very little knowledge off grass roots racing traditions, he's now in bed with the AFL doing a feasibility study on having a football ground in the middle of Randwick racecourse, 5yrs time if this blokes still here ...pokies? ...surely this is an April 1 joke.

Like many Carioca you're confusing the ATC with RNSW. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

What I will never understand is why dogs, cats, sheep, pigs, cattle etc must be registered by law & can therefore be followed from birth to death but not horses Confused
Some say "Oh another expense" but all the above cost & if you can't afford a small annual fee, you certainly won't be caring appropriately for them.
Charge more for serving stallions too which would cut down some of these non TB backyarders who churn out stock solely to send to market totally unhandled & with an expectation of at least getting meat price for them.

Every one of them should be chipped Gay.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:46pm
Think I said that on another thread and someone said they are???? If so it can only be lack of regulation and interest which stops lifetime tracking.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:58pm

V'landys is a responsible adult and a realist. His actions from very early on have been with the best interests of the industry moving forward. Their establishment of a retirement property shows they are serious about racehorse welfare. A good time to be doing these things because the industry won't always be awash with money. The whip rule is a concession which costs the industry nothing apart from a bit of angst. Don't follow his actions closely but can't ever recall him suggesting that breeders were part of the problem. They should be part of the $$$$ solution
Your usual bad take.
Whilst I would agree padding the whip was a good move the whip rule is fundamentally irrational from Vlandys premise that the padded whip doesn't hurt the horse.
Simple question, if the padded whip doesn't hurt the horse why do you need to limit its use?
The whip rule creates the impression that it hurts the horse.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:02pm
I'm convinced Bailey's not the sharpest tool in the shed. His statement that they knew about Aquanita rumours for years and had made efforts to find evidence is at odds with his failure to follow protocol (assuming Thompson's comment is correct) with the phone. In any case even if examination of phones is discretionary here's Bailey with Aquanita head trainer's phone and he doesn't consider the opportunity that provides? Doubt Smerdon is stupid enough to keep incriminating messages but you never know your luck in the big city.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Your usual bad take.
Whilst I would agree padding the whip was a good move the whip rule is fundamentally irrational from Vlandys premise that the padded whip doesn't hurt the horse.
Simple question, if the padded whip doesn't hurt the horse why do you need to limit its use?
The whip rule creates the impression that it hurts the horse.
Most racing fans know the even simpler answer to that. I'm surprised (cough) you can't work it out for yourself. 

It's distinctly possible that tongue ties might eventually go for the same reason, although I can't say I know anything about the physical discomfort/"danger" they present to horses.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:15pm
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:17pm

I'm convinced Bailey's not the sharpest tool in the shed. His statement that they knew about Aquanita rumours for years and had made efforts to find evidence is at odds with his failure to follow protocol (assuming Thompson's comment is correct) with the phone. In any case even if examination of phones is discretionary here's Bailey with Aquanita head trainer's phone and he doesn't consider the opportunity that provides? Doubt Smerdon is stupid enough to keep incriminating messages but you never know your luck in the big city.

Smerdon got a life ban didn't he? So Bailey did OK in the end.

Ellerton bringing a matter to the attention of a steward without evidence is going to lead to a dead end and wasted time. Had he given them solid evidence then they could do something. That is what I took from last night. Mind you only the surface was touched.

On the chips you mentioned.
In Qld we are probably behind the rest of the world  but, as far as I know only stud dogs are chipped, or those registered in certain shires. Unless that has changed in the last few years.

Cattle, sheep, goats, pigs most certainly are not. But they are very closely monitored by PIC numbers, brands, LPA Accreditation, eNVDs and probably more I have forgotten.

Cats should be desexed at birth. If not, put down. Far too many running around wild killing wildlife.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>