Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

South African Turmoil & Terror

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:41am
Terrestrial should stay terrestrial and not get all aquatic. 
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:14pm
So posts get deleted

Nice rules
EAD
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

So posts get deleted

Nice rules

Really?

Jeez that’s not fair mods, you leave up all his posts that make him look like a goose,and delete his only good one?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:41pm
Assuming there was a good one, of course
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:42pm
Geez,  I bin waiting since Gays post about the Zim gold mine for Rusty to ask us do we know the diff in SA and Zim, and he let me down Wink  Must have skimmed right over his cranium.  Cry
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:45am
Like water off a ducks back
EAD
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:11am

Over 1,250 hippos will meet their bloody end at the hands of South African hunters in Zambia, in April

George Tubei , Business Insider SA
 Feb 20, 2019, 12:32 PM

ZAMBIA - 2014/06/19: A group of Hippopotamus (Hipp
A group of Hippopotami on the shore of the Luangwa River in South Luangwa National Park in eastern Zambia. (Photo by Wolfgang Kaehler/LightRocket via Getty Images)
  • The adventure firm is currently offering Luangwa hippo packages at R200 000 for 5 hippos per hunter.
  • Zambia Government’s relentless push for the hunt to take place is reportedly an attempted cover-up for an alleged contract-gone-wrong.
  • Hippos are currently listed as "Vulnerable" on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List.

More than 1,250 hippopotami living in the valley are about to meet their bloody and gruesome end at the hands of South African game hunters who are eagerly awaiting the end of the Zambian rainy season in April to begin the killing-spree.

The controversial hunt has been approved again by Zambia's Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW), according to Conservation Action Trust.

The ‘cull’, which has been suspended a number of times since 2015 because of international conservation pressure, coupled with the fact that also Zambia's own scientific research has advised against it, noting that previous culls have only served to increase the population growth rate, is set to go ahead regardless of the global backlash.

Financial gain remains the biggest drawcard behind the mass hippo killing.

"Hippo lives are on the line in order to line the pockets of a few hunting operators and government officials," says Born Free president, Will Travers.

In 2015, the now-defunct Zambian Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) signed a culling contract with a South African hunting outfitter, Mabwe Adventures Limited. The contract is shrouded in secrecy and did not go through a public tendering process.

The adventure firm is currently offering Luangwa hippo packages at R200 000 for 5 hippos per hunter. The cull could generate upward of R45 million for hunters and the Zambian government.

Zambian Minister of Tourism and Arts Charles Banda, however, confirmed in 2018 that the contract was still valid.

Zambia Government’s relentless push for the hunt to take place is reportedly an attempted cover-up for an alleged contract-gone-wrong.

However, the slaughter could have far-reaching consequences for Zambia as a developing country.

Born Free Foundation have already engaged with the UK Government asking them to use their influence to seek a commitment from Zambia to call off cull - a move likely to be welcomed by the 158 MPs who signed the Early Day Motion 1829, calling on the UK government to end the import of hunting trophies.

Last year, UK taxpayers sent £45 million (R827 million) to Zambia to assist with poverty relief, education and school meals.

Chiefs and the local community where the cull is due to take place, as well as local safari operators, are also opposed to the move fearing a tourism backlash against the impending mass-slaughter.

"The justifications for this cull - which is being openly marketed to paying trophy hunters - are like a sea of shifting sand," says Born Free president, Will Travers.

"Originally, it was to prevent an outbreak of anthrax. Then it was because the water levels in the Luangwa River were precariously low. Now it is because there is a perceived hippo over-population. None of these 'justifications' stands up to scrutiny."

Hippos are currently listed as "Vulnerable" on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List and populations are far from stable with only approximately 130 000 left in the wild.

Over 7,300 kgs of hippo tusks and teeth were internationally traded in 2018 alone - a 64-fold increase since 2007.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
Why would anyone pay R200k to shoot 5 hippo?

It would literally being like shooting fish in a barrel.

There is no hunting involved, you just wander down the river and pick out which ones you going to kill.

You could literally shoot your 5 hippo within minutes of arriving at the river.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
Sickening

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:11pm
Thats what I thought too ?   What sport is that ????Wacko  Its like the hunting on game farms where the animal is bred to be shot.  They just drive out and shoot it, and call themselves hunters !!  Sickos is more like it.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Sickening

Look at the bottom.  Hunting Legends Censored
That is just sickening. 
animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:22pm
Everyone has redeeming features. I don't give a damn , they should be shot like the scum they are
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm
Didn't know you were a hunter Whale

Agree100% shoot the maggots

EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 12:48pm
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 4:08pm
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:38pm
Must say, I tend to agree with Tiger on this one. 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 5:19pm
“Copied from community member in Plett South Africa”

I sit here in my private office, the generator purring in the background. I ponder our plight after four electricity blackouts in two days. I invested in a generator some years ago because I saw the trajectory and I prepared myself for this moment, hoping it would never arrive. Yesterday I went to buy some petrol for the generator and was unable to transact because the power outage had caused the internet network to become unstable. This forced me to find a different petrol station, but the roads were gridlocked by dead traffic lights so the journey was arduous and not without risk.

This is but a foretaste of things to come because we have allowed the State to encourage the wholesale looting of coffers to enrich a new criminal elite. Through poor financial management we have allowed Eskom debt to balloon to such an extent that sovereign guarantees by Treasury, if ever called in, could trigger the domino effect of total financial collapse of the sovereign. Just recently I met with a senior banker and we discussed our plight. I told him that our model is simple - 5 million taxpayers are being held to ransom by less than 1 million card-carrying Cadres at the expense of the 55 million citizens now doomed to a life of perpetual misery in abject poverty. He corrected me, because we only have 200,000 taxpayers that carry 80% of the total tax burden.

That bite of the reality sandwich opened my eyes!

In short, we as a nation, are held hostage to debt that we didn't create, controlled by a criminal elite with absolute impunity that we cannot remove. We are a nation of hostages, and like the Stockholm Syndrome that happens when a hostage starts to feel an affection or affinity for their captors, we have allowed our sense of outrage to be numbed.

We are poisoned by the Stockholm Syndrome so we feel powerless to tackle our hostage-takers.

But they are common criminals, even if they wear glitzy suits and drive in armed motorcades that WE pay for.

We have never asked why powerful elites like Gwede Mantashe could be awarded a contract of over R1.5bn just to feed the workers at Eskom. We have never asked what the impact is of massive diesel contracts to connected cadres to run the standby generators that have been sustaining Eskom over the last few years.

Yes, that's right. Our national energy utility has been running on standby generators at great cost, just as my private office does, but nobody has every asked why; or what will happen when that diesel can no longer be purchased. But the workers will be fed for free and Gwede will smile on TV as he always does, deflecting all blame on the imaginary enemy of the past.

Just this morning I hear news of farmers reaching a point of Gatvol--ness in Middelburg as rioters try to blockade the roads with burning tyres. The way that farmers have been treated, with claims against their legal land title and systematic murders denied by the state, can only be a smouldering powder keg waiting to detonate.

Then I hear of an abandoned coal mine, also in Middelburg, where copper thieves have stolen all the cables, shutting down the fans that keep the mine safe. We know that old coal mines release methane, so its no surprise that a number of cable thieves now lie dead underground after a massive explosion caused by the inability of the mine to run the fans because of loss of energy reticulation. While the loss of life is a tragedy, its even a greater tragedy that those people now dead were forced into activities of such high risk merely to put bread on the table. Even greater is the tragedy for rescue miners who now have to enter that toxic carbon monoxide environment of unstable ground just to retrieve the bodies of the dead.

As a veteran of the time in our history that is colloquially called the "Armed Struggle" I have living memory of moments when we have teetered on the very brink of collapse. Sadly my conscious mind is numbed by the deja vu because I have seen it all before.

I believe that South Africa is again on the very precipice of a catastrophe of unprecedented proportions as I brace myself for the horrors I believe will come. What will happen when the pumps needed to sustain the supply of water to Gauteng where 45% of the population live, and 65% of the economy is located, can no longer turn? What will happen when our few remaining Waste Water Treatment Works are unable to process the masses of sewage they receive daily, forcing them to release this into the few remaining rivers that are not already contaminated by lethal pathogens? What will happen when disease breaks out in the Vaal Triangle where raw sewage has been flowing through the streets for years, and doctors discover that a new drug resistant bacteria is running rampant? What will happen when Rand Water and Umgeni Water and Magalies Water and Mhlatuze Water are also declared bankrupt because of non-payment by delinquent municipalities that have been allowed to also become mired in the Venus Fly Trap of spiralling debt?

These things are too ghastly to contemplate, so we cannot go there. We simply cannot allow that to happen.

Now is the time to unite as only South Africans can in time of crisis, and once again pull back from the precipice. Now is the time to create an Unstoppable Movement for Positive Change.

My generator drones on in constant reminder of the surreal experience we are all confronted by. Life goes on but we shall overcome! Remember it's the Stockholm Syndrome that has numbed us into passive submission, so we do have the capacity to fight back.

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:14pm
Great post Gay.
Thanks for this.
Very sad situation.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:53am
Should have put his money into solar panels.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:11pm
Johann Abrie

BREAKING NEWS: South Africa's national debt went through the R3 trillion mark today. Each man, woman and child in this country owes R55 276! The interest we pay is now R170 billion per annum.

It is time to remove the ANC regime on 8 May.

292,512,987,000.00 Australian Dollar

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:48pm
Its National Debt is the 17th highest in the world.

The EU and the USA head the pack re highest debt.  Australia is 13th.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:34pm
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 11:55am
EAD
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:20pm

Murdered Cape Town horse rider Meghan Cremer found tied up, had restraint around her neck

2019-08-08 14:52

Staff Reporter

The body of Meghan Cremer, an avid horse rider who went missing over the weekend, was found with her hands tied up and a restraint around her neck, it emerged on Thursday.

Her alleged killers - Jeremy Sias, 27, Charles Daniels, 39, and Shiraaz Jaftha, 34 - appeared in the Athlone Magistrate's Court on Thursday morning, TimesLive reported.

News24 reported that the 30-year-old woman was last seen leaving her place on a farm in Philippi at around 18:24 on Saturday, Western Cape police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut said.

She had not returned to the Vaderlandsche Rietvlei stables and did not show up for work. 

Her worried loved ones hired the services of private investigator Noel Pratten on Monday to try to track her down.

Police arrested the three men earlier this week for the illegal possession of a suspected stolen motor vehicle.

Traut confirmed, in a statement, that ''investigation brought to light that the car indeed belonged to the 30-year-old female reported as missing to local police".

Police officials were led to a sand mine on a Philippi farm around 01:00 on Thursday.

News24 reliably understands that one of the men led detectives to the site where Cremer was found, with hands tied up and a leash-like restraint around her neck.

It is further understood she was fully dressed, although police couldn't determine if she had been sexually assaulted.

Her body did not appear to have been freshly dumped.

The court heard that there was a witness connecting the three accused directly to the murder, according to Netwerk24.

The men, from Lotus River and Egoli informal settlement, were not asked to plead and would return to court next week for a bail hearing, IOL reported.

I've a newly married SA cyber friend who's just posted this:

I hasn't felt right to even be glad my husband is home after a month away after knowing a fellow lost her life....today was not a day I celebrated...it was a day I was more aware of locking my car doors, more aware to get in my house & quickly lock up, more aware of who is around me & more watchful... I've slowly become more & more SCARED yes SCARED daily! Coz life is of no value & the justice system is failing us... 😥

Marlene Warner Having been broken into twice in a matter of months and again our neighbors robbed 2 weeks ago and what is happening even in little plett has made me feel unsafe...
It's by far better than other places but I feel permanently on edge..... love u all too

Ruth Leisegang Marlene girl i am SO sorry. I also felt so unsafe in the Cape. My house was burgled twice and i walked around with a gun on me 24/7 just waiting and expecting to be attacked. I only realised when i moved back to Natal that i had hardly been sleeping and i was ALWAYS on high alert. So i really feel for you. Sending i much love.

This is how bad it's become for whites in some parts of S.A. Ouch Mandela would be turning in his grave Cry

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:28pm

Russell Travers

Yesterday Megan Cremer's body was found dumped in a sand mine at Phillippi, an area with smallholdings and farming operations in Cape Town. She had a rope wound around her neck. Wether this was the cause of her death remains to be seen. Three men have been arrested as they were caught driving her car in Wynberg, an adjacent suburb to where I until recently had a house.

I sold my house when my own neighbor was murdered, brutally sliced up and bleeding to death ten meters from the house where my elderly mother was sleeping until that is, she was awoken at 2.47am by the blood curdling screams of my neighbors terrified wife and child as they fled the murder scene.

The morning after the attack the police were there and I watched them milling apathetically around, files in hand while their white and yellow tape fluttered pointlessly in the breeze. Life carried on. In the days after the murder of my neighbor I thought about it all and rationalised - and found that it was time to go. So I did. I put the house on the market, sold it, packed up my belongings, sent them all to storage and kenneled the cats until I could move them too. My son has also thankfully recently moved with his wife to London where he is carrying on with his life out of the danger so many South Africans are presently facing. When I write of danger it is an informed use of the word.

Let me detail what it means, from personal experience. I have lost a family member to murder - a violent home invasion where my aunt was kicked into a coma in which she lingered wholly dependent on others for her most basic needs for six years before dying.

A good family friend was shot on his smallholding outside Cape Town, succumbing to his wounds in the ambulance on his way to hospital.

An ex girl-friend was raped, stabbed to death and then set alight and burned beyond recognition along with her apartment and everything in it including her cat.

A colleague of mine was tied up, tortured and then stabbed to death on the vacant ground at District Six, Cape Town.

Another friend was abducted, forced to hand over his pin codes to his cash card and then presumably also murdered. No one ever saw him again.

That's five (5) people. There are others that I know of, other people on the peripheries of my acquaintance also gone, violently killed and in none of these instances has anyone ever been brought before a court of law. Not one.

Since 1994, the year South Africa was supposed to have achieved 'Liberation', ostensibly for all it's people, five hundred thousand people (500 000) have been murdered. Research that unbelievable sum yourself - don't take my word for it.

That's half a million people. Murdered. Gone. Ripped from this life. Think about that for a moment.

I myself was stabbed through my arm in a hijacking attempt one night as I drove through Wynberg, Cape Town. I had my weapon at hand, as I did for over twenty years and was able to get off a few shots, winging an attacker who left a gratifying splatter on the back of my car.

kiss him - I hope it hurt as much as the knife wound, nerve damage and associated pain I have felt over the years.

There are over fifty-seven (57) murders in South Africa every day.

In Cape Town alone last weekend there was cause for some celebration. Due to troops on the streets the murder rate was forty-one (41) deaths, an improvement on the sixty-three (63) murders for the weekend before that. Crack open the champagne.

All of this carries on, unabated, unchecked and encouraged by leaders and politicians in South Africa today.

This brings me to the point of this post and its not pretty. War never is.

This is what it comes down to and I'm deeply saddened by the realisation.

The deeply compromised ANC along with its allies in the EFF and other criminal racists are driving an assymetric pattern of attacks against minorities in South Africa. This is done as a cynical addendum to the shattering crime and murder rate. Today they use the tried and tested methods exercised so tellingly during their so-called 'Struggle' period - insurgency, hit and run, intimidation, degradation and attrition. The transport infrastructure is regularly attacked with denial of services in mind. Public transport is not safe and neither are the roads. Cash in transport vehicles are attacked regularly. Shopping malls are raided for high end goods, including jewelry. There are riots in which whole towns are ravaged. And the Murders, the deliberate, coordinated and politically motivated Farm Attacks and the ongoing encouragement to violence by rabid populist psychopaths who today sit abusively sniggering in the Houses of South Africa's Parliament.

This cannot continue and I don't believe it will be allowed to. It is time to fight back.

So don't be surprised when you read of, or see on TV or have your fancy-pants holiday to SA disturbed by a murderous mob in the brutal ugly flowering of the latest undeclared assymetric conflict - the burgeoning civil war in South Africa.

Trust me on this - it is coming and it is a battle now gladly joined by myself certainly and many other like minded freedom loving South Africans. I will do what I can from where I am with the intent on stopping these vile criminal swine in their tracks. 'No Paseran!'

Those who know me will understand that I have always been for peace and understanding. I have made personal sacrifices for the assumed 'Greater good of all the people of South Africa' and those offerings and thousands of others have been pissed on, disrespected and abused by the obviously criminal ANC and their gangster cohorts of violently hegemonic fellow travellers.

Enough is enough. To arms.

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:44pm
Just clicked the link Russell Travers Facebook link. Says he lives in Sweden. “To arms” he says. You going straight down the guts or sneak upon them via the subcontinent Russ?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:50pm
Back on deck Judge , nice to see.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
Hey, mate. Spring is in the air so I thought I’d pop my nose back in. Will be interested in your thoughts on the upcoming season, as always.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:55pm
...well not really in the air, it’s freezing. But for some reason I look to Auries Star day as a bit of a kick off. Missile too.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:56pm
Got my eye on a couple, we just gotta be patient.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12