Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

More Green Gelati

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:45pm
I keep mine in the car, 2 material ones & thermo job for frozen etc.. the latter being plastic lined unfortunately but mine do at least last for years.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

From now on wherever my Dog does a gelati, That is where it stays.

What, are you are a 5yo? Confused
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
I don’t use garbage bags at all, we only get our bin emptied every two weeks out here, but I just hose it out on bin day and it’s good to go.
I compost most food scraps, don’t buy anything with plastic packaging or anything that comes in a plastic bottle. I have a recycling bin but the only thing I ever use it for is dog food tins and my husband VB cans which fills it up every week.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:55pm
For my shopping I just put it back into the loose trolley after it’s scanned, then pack it into a container in my boot.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

For my shopping I just put it back into the loose trolley after it’s scanned, then pack it into a container in my boot.

Congratulations- You are now in the top 1% of Woolies customers for intelligence, apparently.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:57pm
I go to the local fruit and veg where you can buy everything fresh and loose rather than pre packed and put it straight into your own cloth bag. Many locals do the same. Off to the butcher and get some plastic there but not much. Again all is packed in the cloth bag. Off to  the bakery and fish shop where everything is packed in paper.

Down at Coles almost all products come packed in plastic. The rest in tin. Now they want to tell you they wont give you free bags but will they change all their own packaging? Most rubbish they sell in plastic I can by elsewhere in town without it and much better quality. We also have the weekend markets to buy stuff from local growers and producers. Stuff Coles!

I use newspaper, a few sheets thick, on the garden instead of cardboard Tonto - same result. Hose it down, pile the mulch on, and no weeds. All I need now is a little pig plus some chooks and most household waste will disappear. By products? Eggs, free range chicken, bacon and ham.

Life in the country is good.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:59pm
I can by elsewhere
Oops lost a U there. I  might have recycled it by mistake.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 5:51am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

We’ve had this for almost a decade (cue lame Adelaide jokes) and there is a solution to this massive societal upheaval. You get heavier reusable bags (plastic or otherwise), keep them around the house, and when you go shopping you TAKE THEM WITH YOU. It’s really not that hard.

So you use string bags for picking up the dog poo Judge, or you just go the unbagged naked hand grab ... Pinch
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:54am
It is a shame they dont have a recycled paper version of Fox News Doc. With it's world renowned bullsh*t absorbing properties, just imagine  how much dogchit that rag would absorb?Thumbs Up

Aldi have never used single use plastic bags, have they. I can remember packing stuff into boxes years ago. Do Aldi hate dogs?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
I have Trained my dogs to only ever crap on one particular front yard.
The yard belonging to our neighbour who is a cow.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:29am
Not sure what they’re stocking in the aisles of supermarkets in Western Sydney Doc, but I confess I’m yet to come across the dog turd section over here.

And by the way..... reeeee
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:29pm
I'm all for reducing plastics - just find this move cynical at best. Rigid plastics are of much more concern than thin gauge flexible plastics. When the latter are exposed to normal environmental conditions they will usually break-down - granted this can be months to years depending. The former take much, much longer. So lets have a quick look at the amount of rigid plastics around - ice cream containers, soft drinks, deodorants & the like, laminate sachets that include plastic for squillions of things, polystyrene trays for meat , fruit & vegies - I could go on. Fact is their would be more products packed in some form of plastic than not in a Supermarket. And as has been pointed out many carry bags were reused at home (we also used for our animal droppings). Not so easy for CBD apartment dwellers to come up with some of the methods promoted above (& I'm not "bagging" them either). The Dr is right - this was an opportunity to promote themselves as good Corporate citizens knowing full well it was not going to cost them a penny. In fact you could argue plastic bag sales will sky rocket so they will make a quid out of it. They will probably increase the mark up as well to "discourage" their customers from buying them. Yep - conned again - sorry !
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:42pm

I don’t use garbage bags at all, we only get our bin emptied every two weeks out here, but I just hose it out on bin day and it’s good to go.
I compost most food scraps, don’t buy anything with plastic packaging or anything that comes in a plastic bottle. I have a recycling bin but the only thing I ever use it for is dog food tins and my husband VB cans which fills it up every week.
So you never buy anything in sachets Smoke ? You do realise those thousands of grocery items in sachets have plastic in them don't you ? And because it is melded usually with paper & foil it is much harder to naturally degrade. I'd go as far as saying it would be extremely limiting going grocery shopping without going home with some items wrapped in some form of plastic
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

So you never buy anything in sachets Smoke ? You do realise those thousands of grocery items in sachets have plastic in them don't you ? And because it is melded usually with paper & foil it is much harder to naturally degrade. I'd go as far as saying it would be extremely limiting going grocery shopping without going home with some items wrapped in some form of plastic
The plastic is necessary for a number of reasons - not the least being the ability to heat seal the package closed
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:52pm
Another question for the big Supermarkets re plastics - why is it that over the years you have allowed the replacement of both aluminium & glass cans/bottles with plastic ? I mean your the ones flogging the stuff - you must have some sort of pull with the manufacturers. Maybe its not that big a deal after all
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:53pm
We have a farm so we grow our own produce and butcher our own meat. Not that we are big meat eaters.

I normally only go into town to purchase things once a month.

I have set myself up on a self sustainable property so I don’t have to rely on a supermarket to live my life.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:55pm

We have a farm so we grow our own produce and butcher our own meat. Not that we are big meat eaters.

I normally only go into town to purchase things once a month.

I have set myself up on a self sustainable property so I don’t have to rely on a supermarket to live my life.
That's well done Smoke. I like in an apartment in CBD Sydney - along with millions of others.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:07pm
Been there done that, when we retired we sold up everything in Melbourne and moved to a little property west of Ballarat. Built up from scratch.

I really don’t know how we survived so long in the CBD.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:14pm
Not sure that's my go Smoke. For starters we don't have all that much "get up & go" - I'm a lazy blighter for starters. Like our local restaurants, Clubs & Pubs too much. Anyhow good luck to you 
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:19pm
So because of this plastic bag ban it sounds like there is going to be small mountains of dog poop all over Sydney.
Will councils ban dogs next in response?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

So because of this plastic bag ban it sounds like there is going to be small mountains of dog poop all over Sydney.
Will councils ban dogs next in response?

Excellent idea.Thumbs Up
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

It is a shame they dont have a recycled paper version of Fox News Doc. With it's world renowned bullsh*t absorbing properties, just imagine  how much dogchit that rag would absorb?Thumbs Up

Aldi have never used single use plastic bags, have they. I can remember packing stuff into boxes years ago. Do Aldi hate dogs?

Are Woolies offering empty boxes? ... do YOU shop at Aldi? ... are you a cat person?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Not sure what they’re stocking in the aisles of supermarkets in Western Sydney Doc, but I confess I’m yet to come across the dog turd section over here.

And by the way..... reeeee

In Western Sydney, it's between the Fresh Seafood and the Halal Cat and Dog Meat section.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Are Woolies offering empty boxes? ... do YOU shop at Aldi? ... are you a cat person?

Yes/Yes/Yes. But mostly Coles online. Also a dog and budgie person.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I'm all for reducing plastics - just find this move cynical at best. Rigid plastics are of much more concern than thin gauge flexible plastics. When the latter are exposed to normal environmental conditions they will usually break-down - granted this can be months to years depending. The former take much, much longer. So lets have a quick look at the amount of rigid plastics around - ice cream containers, soft drinks, deodorants & the like, laminate sachets that include plastic for squillions of things, polystyrene trays for meat , fruit & vegies - I could go on. Fact is their would be more products packed in some form of plastic than not in a Supermarket. And as has been pointed out many carry bags were reused at home (we also used for our animal droppings). Not so easy for CBD apartment dwellers to come up with some of the methods promoted above (& I'm not "bagging" them either). The Dr is right - this was an opportunity to promote themselves as good Corporate citizens knowing full well it was not going to cost them a penny. In fact you could argue plastic bag sales will sky rocket so they will make a quid out of it. They will probably increase the mark up as well to "discourage" their customers from buying them. Yep - conned again - sorry !

Never apologise for speaking the truth oneone!Clap
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Yes/Yes/Yes. But mostly Coles online. Also a dog and budgie person.

Online is where the corporates want to drive us for everything ... might have to get one of those Robot Dogs.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:22pm
Online is the way to go, whether you have a robot dog or not.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:14pm
Shopping online invariably mean everything you buy comes pre packaged in some form. Not  good for your health not good for the environment. I notice a lot of apartment blocks  in big cities are now forming co-ops to grow fruit and veg on any available land downstairs and on rooftops. You can even grow on the apartment balcony or indoors. Our friends in London also have bee hives. They get the local council to grow bee friendly plants in local parks, gardens and any available green space.

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:34pm
This is a little off topic but worth knowing about.  

I grow a lot of my own veg.  The rest I grow at a community garden, and swap with others at a weekly swap meet.  

The community garden is a lot of fun.  The council provides the ground, the tools and the plants. We grow the produce and anyone is welcome to pick it... but let's just say the community gardeners are strategically placed to get the pick of the crop.  Also, we tend to grow more than we need, and any surplus I take to a swap meet and exchange it for veg (or other goods) that I do need.  

The swap meets occur every Saturday morning.  Everyone who turns up brings something.  It might be vegetables or fruit or young plants or garden tools or anything else that gardeners will find useful.  In return they take something.  But mainly we chat and drink cups of tea and eat the muffins that somebody brought along (in exchange for a basket of lemons or bunches of fresh herbs).  Gardeners love to give advice and share their experience.

It's all home grown and organic and ... free.

And BYO bag - or if you are a very cool poser - a wicker basket.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:39pm
Am reliably informed Tontonan thoroughly enjoys a root  vegetable.Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>