Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

More Green Gelati

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Green Gelati
    Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:27pm
So no more plastic bags from Woolies, Coles, etc.

Anyone else ever re-use their plastic bags, say for garbage? ... like nearly everyone?

So next trip to the shop we need to buy ... over priced, high carbon footprint, slow to degrade, bad for the environment PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS ... to replace the garbage bags that they used to give us for free!

Seems like a win for the Big Corporate Retailers, and a loss for the Environment Clap

Greenies are just so Gullible!Clown
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:30pm
... oh, and we also have to buy SHOPPING BAGS ... which uses even MORE carbon in the process.

So, once again, we pay to help the Greenies feel good about themselves, even though it does NOTHING to save the planet ... Wacko
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:31pm
Well done Woolies. Clap

I use a string bag, or 5. It's not that difficult.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:51pm
From now on wherever my Dog does a gelati, That is where it stays.

reductio ad absurdum
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:08pm
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I wonder if your dog can read your posts.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:37pm
He encourages me. 
reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:52pm
Yes, so now we go buy bags for  garbage , dog poop, cat litter, and all the rest of the useful things shopping bags were used for.   Wouldnt it make more sense to manufacture bags that break down in a short time in landfill or the ocean ?
animals before people.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
Was in woolies last night and the no bags nonsense appears to have wreaked havoc. Maybe it will change as people get used to it but I found the lines at checkout moved much slower. A total pain in the arse.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
They do, and buying them for your groceries is the other option. 
For deliveries it comes in a crate and they unpack it for you.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Well done Woolies. Clap

Tried that ... not very effective for garbage ...Embarrassed
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Pretty cool invention.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

Hated by the deranged left ... pretty sure it was a creation of Western Civilisation Cry
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Clap ... make sure you detour via Woolies when you go walkies!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Well done Woolies. Clap

... or "doggie do", etc.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:11pm

Well done Woolies. Clap

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:15pm

Well done Woolies. Clap

... or "doggie do", etc.

That is what the Telegraph is for. 
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Yes, so now we go buy bags for  garbage , dog poop, cat litter, and all the rest of the useful things shopping bags were used for.   Wouldnt it make more sense to manufacture bags that break down in a short time in landfill or the ocean ?

Coles still have them until 1 July. Do what I’m planning on doing and go through the self serve check outs a few times before then and grab a massive pile of them each time. Should keep you going for a while.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Coles still have them until 1 July. Do what I’m planning on doing and go through the self serve check outs a few times before then and grab a massive pile of them each time. Should keep you going for a while.

LOLThumbs Up
animals before people.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:57pm
I used to be a customer of Aussie Farmers Direct who delivered my weekly fruit and & veg in a collapsible black cardboard box.  I had dozens of them and they have proven very handy.  They are ideal for supermarket shopping.  They fold flat between uses. 

I don't generate a lot of garbage.  By the time I have composted and recycled there isn't much left.  I only pit my garbage bin out once every two or three weeks.

Besides, I have been an Aldi shopper for sometime now and they have never provided free bags. 
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:01am
Wouldnt it make more sense to manufacture bags that break down in a short time in landfill or the ocean ?
Saw something where a 17yr old schoolgirl of Indian descent has invented such a product. It was on TV last week. I forget what she used to make the plastic - prawn shells I think?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:04am
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:41am

Well done Woolies. Clap

... or "doggie do", etc.

I knew it ... a dedicated closet subscriber!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:12pm

Well done Woolies. Clap

... or "doggie do", etc.

I knew it ... a dedicated closet subscriber!

Bet he uses the Bolt and Divine pages for the doggy doo doo Wink
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:50pm

LOLThumbs Up

Geez, are some of you that desperate to continue using plastic despite all the worldwide devastation it's causing & will for 100s of years? Angry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:53pm
Absolutely Gay. I wonder why the re-useable pooper scoopers went out of fashion in the first place. Too time poor to wash it under the tap after use?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:00pm
Thats it .  Why arnt the shops using the pastic bags that break down quickly and mulch into the ground ?  I have some that fall apart after a couple of weeks and crumble into dust, just cant remember which shop they came from.  They can transplant hearts but cant design a bag that mulchs in ???Cry
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

LOLThumbs Up

Geez, are some of you that desperate to continue using plastic despite all the worldwide devastation it's causing & will for 100s of years? Angry

It's not desperation Gay, it's just fact.

People will continue to use plastic bags, they will just pay more for the ones that leave a larger carbon footprint in the production process, will not be reused, and take even longer to breakdown in land fill ... ALL worse for the planet.

... and whilst we continue to place stuff in recycle bins, that never gets recycled because it has become uneconomical, the farce of being a "dedicated Greenie", with matching string bags and stockings, WILL continue. 

... and 95% of the rest of the world will just drop their plastic and gelati direct into waterways, so, just like renewable energy, our token efforts will achieve nothing, other than to temporarily relieve CNNPT's feelings of guilt and self loathing, whilst costing us a fortune ...Dead
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 5:31pm
These cost $4 at Kmart.  The replacement rolls are 3 for $2. A roll lasts for ages.  There must be 100 bags on the roll.  They clip securely on to your belt or even better on to the dog lead so you never forget to take them along.  I am a volunteer dog walker and never found shopping bags to be the best solution for the dog waste problem but these are just perfect.  
I hate weeding.  So I collect all the cardboard I can and once a year I push back the mulch and lay cardboard over the garden, damp it down and recover with mulch.  I haven't had to pull a weed in years.  In 12 months it has rotted back into the ground and the first weeds are the signal that it is time to renew.

Paper and Cardboard can be added to the compost heap.  They count as 'brown' material and it is a good balance for 'greens' if you mainly compost fruit and veg and lawn clippings.   Composting is an art worth learning, especially if your garden wants lots of lovely organic matter.  

I have not doubt Colesworth are only banning plastic bags for profit - but that is not the point.  Waste is always bad.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:11pm
We’ve had this for almost a decade (cue lame Adelaide jokes) and there is a solution to this massive societal upheaval. You get heavier reusable bags (plastic or otherwise), keep them around the house, and when you go shopping you TAKE THEM WITH YOU. It’s really not that hard.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:18pm
Yeah, we get that, Judge.   I have had 5 or 6 of them for over 6 months now.  Local ladies actually sewed their fingers to the bone and made hundreds of cloth bags, then placed them all over town for people to just help themselves, for free.  But sometimes the disposable bags are very useful for other purposes.
Tontonan,s suggestion is very good for my purposes.  But its still plastic, isnt it ?
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>