Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

More Green Gelati

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:41pm
LOL. My grandmother always shopped with  wicker basket. I never considered her cool or a poser. It used to be old fashioned. Times have changed.

In Daylesford we have a community garden next to the library with the produce available for the whole town to come and pick . It's amazing how few people do. ( I never have - still haven't gone to see what's in season )
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:45pm
And furthermore, have you seen my nature strip ?

The council hates it.  The neighbours love it.  Others are following suit.  People actually leave potted herbs to add to the garden.   Have you seen what Colesworth charges for fresh herbs ? Help yourself.

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

LOL. My grandmother always shopped with  wicker basket. I never considered her cool or a poser. It used to be old fashioned. Times have changed.

In Daylesford we have a community garden next to the library with the produce available for the whole town to come and pick . It's amazing how few people do. ( I never have - still haven't gone to see what's in season )

Everything old is new again.   Gran obvious didn't need single use plastic bags.

I don't know about Daylesford but part of the problem we have with our community garden is that whole crops can get stripped out before they are mature and it drives some of the volunteers to distraction.  People take whole plants too which is disappointing.  Some of it is greed, some of it is ignorance, some of it is mental illness.   

You might be surprised if you talk to a community gardener just how much does get picked.  Last year before I joined the gardeners complained that their capsicums gave poor yields but it wasn't the case at all.  What was happening was that people were picking them when they were green and small and nothing reached maturity.  

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:16pm
That's excellent Tontonan!Thumbs Up

You would be doing that regardless of what the retail outlets were doing, and at least you are getting a lot out of it, even if the planet isn't ...
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:16am
I really admire gardeners.  I tried growing vegies a few times as we have a top spot down the side, but between the rabbits and cockatoos , they cleaned me out by either eating stuff or just pulling it up.  I gave up and now go to the farmers markets where they are more dedicated than I am about getting their hands dirty.
animals before people.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:42am
Well done Tonto. I took an apartment in Nth Melbourne for a few weeks recently and they had the nature strip around the corner heavily planted with herbs and veg. The whole street was participating for the benefit of all. Coles etc don't deserve any sales of fresh herbs.  They pack them in hard plastic.

We have a lot of cockies here too AA. Much easier to use the weekly Sunday morning market and share the wealth around. We have such good producers around here I wouldn't waste my time butchering the garden with my efforts. I will plant a lot more herbs next year once the renovations and landscaping are complete.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:45am
ps I'd  have a good crack at your oregano, thyme and rosemary Tonto. I wouldn't strip them dry .... promise. Tongue You might even find a jar of sauce on your doorstep in exchange.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:28pm
We had 2 orange trees here when we first bought.  Not real good for eating, but juicing or marmalade,,excellent.  OMG the cockies massacered them as soon as they started to turn orange.  Just pulled them off and opened them, took the seeds and chucked the rest of the fruit on the ground.  they are destructive birds, those fellas.
animals before people.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm
Just have to say that a thread that was anti inner-suburb type greenies has turned out to be a discussion among genuine greenies.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:38pm
LOL. I wouldn't call myself a greenie - I'd never vote for that lot. I just like good quality fresh food rather than packaged muck. It's in the genes. My dad's mother was a great home cook. I miss her food a lot. My mum's father even made his own booze. That I don't miss ( fruit based brandy ).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:21am
Like 3Bs,  I wouldnt cal myself a greenie.     They are absolute idiots. 
But, then, most of those greenies are Pitt Street Experts.
Most of them never been out of the CBD.  Never been west and seen what drought does. 
Wouldnt know the difference between a live tree and a dead stump.
My Mum was a home cook,  bring on the baked dinner !Thumbs Up
My Grandma cooked from home kill,,,,,and salted down meat to preserve . 
LOL at home booze.    It was  " the go" when I lived in Tennessee.    Spirits thru copper tubes,, moonshine,   get drunk tonight and top up with water tomorrow and be drunk all over again.  LOL

animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:39am
***ECOLOGICAL CATASTROPHE AVERTED***

Great news folks!Thumbs Up

Was at K-Mart with the cheese and kisses tonight (she needed slippers) ... lo and behold, at their self serve check out, they have FREE PLASTIC BAGS!!!Tongue

Talk about a bargain, we got a pair of slippers AND about 6 months worth of garbage, and dog poo, and every other purpose bags ... all for less than $10.00!!!Hug

Now that's what I call WINNING BIGLY!!!Big smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:55am
We don't need a ban on plastics we need a war on litterers. I'd shoot 'em on sight, or suspicion.Angry None of my plastic ends up in the sea.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
Thumbs Up
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:10pm
You cheapskate.  Why don't you buy your missus some decent slippers ?
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

***ECOLOGICAL CATASTROPHE AVERTED***

Great news folks!Thumbs Up

Was at K-Mart with the cheese and kisses tonight (she needed slippers) ... lo and behold, at their self serve check out, they have FREE PLASTIC BAGS!!!Tongue

Talk about a bargain, we got a pair of slippers AND about 6 months worth of garbage, and dog poo, and every other purpose bags ... all for less than $10.00!!!Hug

Now that's what I call WINNING BIGLY!!!Big smile

Did the same today at coles. Took a massive pile of bags as I was packing in my lunch. Got so many extra plastic bags that I needed another plastic bag to carry them in.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:45pm
That'll teach 'em.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:08am
And in the meantime the State Government of Vic is going to legislate so no shop can give away free plastic bags. Supermarkets are given a pass and can still pack all their meat, fruit, veg and other unhealthy rubbish in plastic of course. 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

You cheapskate.  Why don't you buy your missus some decent slippers ?

She used get around with plastic bags tied to her feet ... but we're not made of money you know!Cry
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:46pm
Just had another good walk around Woollies. Absolutely plastic everywhere - rows & rows of it across all categories - most of it rigid which is a nightmare to degrade. Meanwhile, back at the checkout absolute bunfight customers pulling out bags of all size & description trying to save buying bags - of which there are 3 types - 15c plastic, 99c plastic & woollies branded hessian green bags for $4. So its a win, win, win, win for Woollies as I see it - save on the cost of free bags, make a decent quid out of flogging bags at the counter, sell more packs of bags (eg small glad type) to customers to replace the old carry bags for home use, & finally make themselves out to be environmental warriors to boot. Deary me - suckers for punishment !
Refer ALP Election Promises
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

That'll teach 'em.

Not about teaching them but about stocking up to be able to continue to use them for non-supermarket activities.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 6:29pm
When you dont want to pay 15c for a recyclable plastic bag.

Image result for chimp carrying oranges gif
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:17pm
As a (somewhat) committed environmentalist am very pleased to announce that I now purchase recyclable paper bags rather than plastics to cope with a quite understandable reflux reaction to the Leyonhjelm-like troglodyte comments from a few around here.  Wink  Sick
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:42pm
It's simple enough maths SC, so I guess that the shrieking tree-huggers are never expected to "get it" ... the cost both financially and to the environment will simply be higher under the free bag ban, and the corporates will add $$$ millions to their bottom line ... it is what it is.Ermm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:34am

It's simple enough maths SC, so I guess that the shrieking tree-huggers are never expected to "get it" ... the cost both financially and to the environment will simply be higher under the free bag ban, and the corporates will add $$$ millions to their bottom line ... it is what it is.Ermm

Pigovian tax.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:18pm
I'm giving up all plastic too, "I'm gonna buy a paper doll that I can call my Own".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:54pm
Better not take her out in the rain. She'd disintegrate here in Daylesford today.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Pigovian tax.

ClapPig
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:56pm
I am going to try PT,s suggestion of a string bag for the used cat litter Thumbs Up
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I'm giving up all plastic too, "I'm gonna buy a paper doll that I can call my Own".

COLES just gave me 4 of their Plastic substitutes.    VERY GOOD. So much easier than lugging those finger cutters by the dozen .
As usual they attack the wrong Plastic to ban.
Condoms cost more lives than any other form of the stuff.

The Check out lady said it was forced on them by Government ----   That's news to me .        We might be hanging an innocent man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>