Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Freshman stallions of 18/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshman stallions of 18/19
    Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:11pm
Hi everyone!
It’s that time of the year when we may be hearing, from our trainers and stable spies, how next season’s 1st season sires are hitting the straps.
Anyone have any interesting insights to share?
to the victor
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:01pm
Have heard from a few that the Deep Fields are mature physically but not coping too well mentally.  Also was looking at a mare in foal to Dissident at MM recently and was told to steer clear by a few other breeders.  Haven't heard anything specific but being told that Dissident may struggle.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

Have heard from a few that the Deep Fields are mature physically but not coping too well mentally.  Also was looking at a mare in foal to Dissident at MM recently and was told to steer clear by a few other breeders.  Haven't heard anything specific but being told that Dissident may struggle.

Looking at Dissident weanlings they seem very hit and miss, and the miss isn’t pretty!
to the victor
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm
Though brilliant Deep Field didn't start until he was rising 4 so that might give a clue as to why his stock may be mentally immature. 

Interesting what was said about Dissident.  Really loved one of his on paper and was very surprised she only made Book 2 at Easter.  Must of been one of the ordinary types.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:16pm
Couldn't give the Hallowed Crown youngsters away at the sales, which totally surprised me as he was a top galloper from a performing female family.  It'll be interesting to see how he goes, though he probably wan't get early comers.

Down here in Vic there were mixed opinions about the Brazen Beau yearlings, but haven't heard any subsequent reports. 
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Couldn't give the Hallowed Crown youngsters away at the sales, which totally surprised me as he was a top galloper from a performing female family.  It'll be interesting to see how he goes, though he probably wan't get early comers.

Down here in Vic there were mixed opinions about the Brazen Beau yearlings, but haven't heard any subsequent reports. 

I think it’s where he stands, they just don’t promote their stallions well enough to sell.
to the victor
Fastnetrock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastnetrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:08pm
Will be the same as this season a Qld sire to kick ass.  Better Than Ready.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:24pm
Any opinions on the speedy Encosta 2yo Rubick?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:51pm
Both of the above had very large books so they shouldn't lack opportunity.

Each of Encosta and More Than Ready have one really successful sire son, so they're probably due.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:58pm
I heard he damaged his stifle as a youngster and wasn’t expected to be able to race? Hence the late start
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:00pm
In the past I’ve heard disparaging comments from supposed good judges, regarding the the look and type of the overall first crop yearlings of Redoubtes Choice, Sebring and Pierro.
I don’t listen to comments regarding yearling types produced by new stallions anymore. But I do take interest in hearing comments regarding performance and ability shown.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Any opinions on the speedy Encosta 2yo Rubick?

Dam half to Redoubtes Choice a plus.

Outside chance but for me No.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:21pm
You are on the money Cityboy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:02pm
All very well, however yearling purchasers, be they experienced "good judges" or otherwise, need to make value judgements when inspecting youngsters.  And when expending big bucks it's entirely excusable to put a line through those whose physical weaknesses might present potential problems. 

Though those those looking at your Llonhro's and Pierro's might forgive their frequent alignment faults given the breed's apparent ability, for the most part, to overcome them.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by tanbon tanbon wrote:

I heard he damaged his stifle as a youngster and wasn’t expected to be able to race? Hence the late start

Deep Field? Can anyone confirm?
to the victor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
Yes, got badly kicked coming off the track & think it was a fracture or close to one.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Yes, got badly kicked coming off the track & think it was a fracture or close to one.

Is that a confirmed story?
It’s horse racing/breeding - wouldn’t put it past anyone in this business to make up a story as an excuse for lack of 2yo prowess.
to the victor
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:42pm
I will confirm Lingy.

It was 10 lengths clear in a Group 1, only 200 metres to run would you believe and it jumped a shadow on the track and fractured it's sesamoid bone.

In what was described as a freak of nature it hung on to run 12th.

The Vet scan failed to pick up the fracture due to a power outage at the Vet Clinic.
We were due to take the prospective stallion back for a scan however it got a throat infection and could not travel.
I can hear you thinking 'why not get a Vet to come to you and yes, your right however upon reflection why go to that expense?
We would only have to increase the Service Fee and that would only hurt you the paying customer.

We at 'We All Know Its Bullgelati Thoroughbreds' value our customer relationships too much to waste money on fictitious Vetinary services.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:44pm
We at 'We All Know Its Bullshiit Thoroughbreds'
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

I will confirm Lingy.

It was 10 lengths clear in a Group 1, only 200 metres to run would you believe and it jumped a shadow on the track and fractured it's sesamoid bone.

In what was described as a freak of nature it hung on to run 12th.

The Vet scan failed to pick up the fracture due to a power outage at the Vet Clinic.
We were due to take the prospective stallion back for a scan however it got a throat infection and could not travel.
I can hear you thinking 'why not get a Vet to come to you and yes, your right however upon reflection why go to that expense?
We would only have to increase the Service Fee and that would only hurt you the paying customer.

We at 'We All Know Its Bullgelati Thoroughbreds' value our customer relationships too much to waste money on fictitious Vetinary services.

So that was the reason for Deep Field’s retirement rather than the reason he didn’t race early? I though that people meant that it prevented him from starting as a youngster. Was he mentally immature early?
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

We at 'We All Know Its Bullshiit Thoroughbreds'

You must concede that there would be quite a few stallions at stud who do not have the full vet disclosure attached to them, but they’re invariably “the fastest ever trained” and “most talented horse in the yard”. No one says it did a throat and is full of knee chips. I’m just a fan of full disclosure.
to the victor
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:34am
Not sure "Full Disclosure" is a known concept in this industry
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:09pm
I heard Wayne about 4yrs ago on a Sat morning pre race in Melb when he was asked why so long to get going.
He sounded 100% genuine about the stifle kick, dirty to a degree but then said it may've been a blessing in disguise.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:15pm
For clarity - I was told from a very good source that DF didn’t make it to the track early in his career because of a potentially career ending stifle injury. As we know he did race but not until late. There must be people who can verify this?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:20pm
Er, read the prior post.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:23pm
I was looking at Paul Hogan’s
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by tanbon tanbon wrote:

For clarity - I was told from a very good source that DF didn’t make it to the track early in his career because of a potentially career ending stifle injury. As we know he did race but not until late. There must be people who can verify this?

Exactly what I mean - did he have an old stifle injury, from being kicked, flare up in the Galaxy resulting in his retirement?
to the victor
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:21pm
I like the look of the new boy at Yarraman Park,,,,   Hellbent.    Looks verra verra nice, and they do have the knack Wink
animals before people.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 7:49am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I like the look of the new boy at Yarraman Park,,,,   Hellbent.    Looks verra verra nice, and they do have the knack Wink

Must say I was quite shocked with the $27.5k price tag on this bloke.  
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I like the look of the new boy at Yarraman Park,,,,   Hellbent.    Looks verra verra nice, and they do have the knack Wink

Must say I was quite shocked with the $27.5k price tag on this bloke.  

I have to say - they’d have to pay me to send a mare to him. Alas he’s not having runners this coming season so he doesn’t belong in the thread
to the victor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>