Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dark Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:13pm
Just wondering, was it in HK dollars?....do they pay tax on the sale?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Just wondering, was it in HK dollars?....do they pay tax on the sale?

Forget that post lol, of course it would be in Oz dollars.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:55pm
No tax on sale unless you're a business and deducting the losses. Very few outside of farms and serious professional operations would be able to stack up a professional operation that presents to the ATOP as a genuine business that earns income and has a legitimate hope of returning a profit.
Sunline...simply supreme
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:19am
Thanks Sunny.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:41am
The above reads back quite confusing. What I meant was the ATO doesn't just let anyone say their racing interests are a business, as they know racing interests lose money and they're in no hurry to support the majority of actvity being deducting losses. Their idea is you need to demonstrate a viable business that has a model that can show a plan to be profitable, otherwise it isn't a business.

Therefore if you can't do that and you can't deduct losses, they can't then demand a cut of the profits when they arrive. It's similar to professional punting. Gone are the days where you ran around picking up losing tickets to show a loss!
Sunline...simply supreme
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:30pm
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm

This is scarcely believable. Home bred horse who wins a Group 1 and is the subject of a $2.5M offer and they want to change trainers? Especially after Parker did such a great job to get him right after the Grand Prix? What's going on?

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Jun 2018 at 6:49pm
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:48pm
4 Comments

Kembla trainer Kerry Parker has revealed he will no longer be the trainer of Group I Queensland Derby winner Dark Dream.

The son of All American provided Parker with the biggest win of his training career earlier this month but in a meeting with owners this week he was informed he would no longer be the trainer.

“Dark Dream’s going elsewhere,” Parker said.

“I knew for a little while that he was going, I’d sensed it before the Derby but officially I found out this week.

“We spoke face to face here the other day. They pretty much said it’s not you, it’s me.

“They said they were looking for change, or something – they’re going to spread their wings and place their horses elsewhere.

“I’m not the first trainer to lose a horse and I won’t be the last but it’s a shame it is Dark Dream, that’s for sure.

“He’s a talented horse and I wish him all the best.”

Under Parker’s care Dark Dream won four races from 10 starts and earnt connections $596,518 in prizemoney.

Parker was uncertain as to who would train the horse in the future.

Furthermore, Red Dream which is raced in the same interests as Dark Dream, has also been removed from Parker's care.

Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm
Good decision IMO.
Racing is a business, to be the best you have to join the best.
Hopefully joins either Waller, Weir or Hayes.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

Good decision IMO.

Surely if racing is a business, you just pocket the $2.5M?
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Good decision IMO.

Surely if racing is a business, you just pocket the $2.5M?

Can’t answer what I’m not an owner.
But obviously they Think he can win more than that here so good luck to them I say
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:15pm
Owners are entitled to send the horse wherever they like.

However the decision is nonetheless disgraceful imo.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:20pm

This is scarcely believable. Home bred horse who wins a Group 1 and is the subject of a $2.5M offer and they want to change trainers? Especially after Parker did such a great job to get him right after the Grand Prix? What's going on?

What do you mean get him right after the Grand Prix ?

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Jun 2018 at 6:50pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:21pm

Good decision IMO.

If he enters one of those 3 yards you can be 100% certain they will not be training him.

reductio ad absurdum
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What do you mean get him right after the Grand Prix ?

It was reported that he lost a shoe in the Grand Prix, a fair chunk of the hoof wall and also had a nail pierce the frog. He had to be poulticed for a couple of days, which is scarcely ideal with only a fortnight between the GP and the Derby. I thought it was an excellent training performance.

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Jun 2018 at 6:51pm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:29pm

It was reported that he lost a shoe in the Grand Prix, a fair chunk of the hoof wall and also had a nail pierce the frog. He had to be poulticed for a couple of days, which is scarcely ideal with only a fortnight between the GP and the Derby. I thought it was an excellent training performance.

Thumbs Up

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Jun 2018 at 6:52pm
reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:50pm
The story is on the previous page djebel. 

Owners can do what they want but it seems an odd move when the horse is in peak form rather than failing to live up to expectations. 

The last thing racing needs is for him to go to a mega stable like Weir, Waller or HHD.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Owner Mary Jane Basson hoping Dark Dream can smoke his rivals on way to spring carnival glory
June 10, 2018 5:53pm
NATHAN EXELBYThe Courier-Mail
OWNER Mary Jane Basson has already knocked back a $2 million offer for her Queensland Derby winning “baby” Dark Dream, who she now hopes can take her all the way to spring carnival glory.

Whether that is this year, or next, Basson doesn’t mind.

“He’s still growing. After he has a spell he will come back a bigger, better and more powerful horse than he already is,” she said.

“He’s a work in progress. We will see how he enjoys his spell. Clearly Melbourne is the goal, if not this year, definitely next year. He will let us know.”

Let me tell them right here right now. He is a gelding, He will not get bigger and better for a spell.

If he does not get the job done this spring He will never succeed in the spring.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:01pm

Owner Mary Jane Basson hoping Dark Dream can smoke his rivals on way to spring carnival glory

Dark Dream is an unlikely Group 1 winner, as he is from a mare that was saved from a doomed fate because Basson happened to be in the right place at the right time.

“I was at a broodmare sale, with no intention of buying a broodmare,” Basson explained on Radio TAB’s Past The Post.

“I was with a friend having coffee in the sun and suddenly I saw this beautiful grey mare in the ring that was about to be knocked down to the ‘doggers’ and I put my hand up and for the princely sum of $800 Buchanan Girl became mine.

“We went to All American first up, we got a filly the first time who was regrettably struck by lightning when she was a yearling. She was an outstanding type and it broke my heart.

“So I went back to All American and the second time we got Dark Dream. As a baby he had a rather prominent parrot mouth and very wonky legs and was nothing like his beautifully conformed sister.

“To have one struck by lightning and one turn around and win the Derby I think it’s the same odds for both events happening.”

Offers have been rolling in for Dark Dream for a number of weeks. In particular after he dominated the Rough Habit Plate last month. But Basson has politely declined all offers.

“I knocked back $2 million, which was an extraordinarily generous offer, but he’s like my baby and you just can’t sell family, it’s as simple as that,” she said.

“I said to Kerry (Parker) a number of years ago I would get him his first Group 1 and to come good on that promise has been a marvellous thing for both of us and indeed the whole stable.”

Dark Dream is yet to miss a place in 10 starts, with his ‘worst’ effort being third in the Grand Prix, where he lost a shoe and “about two inches of wall on either side”, plus having a nail pierce through the sole of his foot.

“We iced it the first day, poulticed it for another two days to make sure there was no infection, then the farrier put the shoe on and he was as good as gold,” Basson said.

Who ever comes out as the new trainer It will be fair to say the trainer has "snatched" the horse from Parker. The owners have OBVIOUSLY been offered too good an offer to refuse.

reductio ad absurdum
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:10pm
What sort of offers world trainers make to “poach” one like this? Would take more than “free training” for a horse earning millions, surely?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:12pm
I have no idea what TJ used to offer but he obviously had a sales pitch that worked.

reductio ad absurdum
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

What sort of offers world trainers make to “poach” one like this? Would take more than “free training” for a horse earning millions, surely?
Free training for a few.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Free training for a few.

In that light, I see Red Dream, who is owned in the same connections, also has a "Transferred" status on Racing Australia.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm
Owner has decided to relocate all her horses to Melbourne.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm

The owner has decided to move all of her horses to Victoria. That is all.
She will be paying the fees as per everyone else.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:07pm
Sounds like Weiry PoP.
Sunline...simply supreme
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Sounds like Weiry PoP.

At this stage it’s between Weir or Hayes.
Kylez View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:24pm

Source?

I have very reliable information that this is not the case.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Sounds like Weiry PoP.

At this stage it’s between Weir or Hayes.

Doesnt have a good track record when taking on other horses.

Weir by a long way!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Kylez Kylez wrote:

Source?

I have very reliable information that this is not the case.

Interesting. My source is confidential but I can say it's from someone very close to a party involved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>