Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dark Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Dream
    Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 6:15pm
How many of you guys backed Dark Dream last start ?

reductio ad absurdum
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 6:30pm
He beat me two starts ago, then I got on last start and was already heavily invested for today.

Great ride and win. Looked the winner a long way out.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 6:48pm
No matter what way you watch today's race the winner is the best horse coming out of it.

He settles perfectly.

He acts on all going.

He has tactical speed.

He stays at least 2200m.

I was on the runner up and can not complain about anything. 

DARK DREAM (AUS)Grey colt 2014 
All American
Brown 2005
Red Ransom
Bay 1987
Roberto
Bay 1969
Hail to Reason
Brown 1958
Turn-To
Nothirdchance
1-w
4-n
Bramalea
Bay or brown 1959
Nashua
Rarelea
3-m
12-c
Arabia
Bay 1977
Damascus
Bay 1964
Sword Dancer
Kerala
1-o
8-h
Christmas Wind
Bay 1967
Nearctic
Bally Free
14-c
6-b
Milva
Brown 1994
Strawberry Road
Bay 1979
Whiskey Road
Bay 1972
Nijinsky
Bowl of Flowers
8-f
4-d
Giftisa
Bay 1974
Rich Gift
Wahkeena
6-f
18>
Tersa
Bay or brown 1986
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Peacefully
Grey 1973
Jacinto
Morning Calm
14-c
A1
Buchanan Girl
Grey 2004
Lion Hunter
Grey 1992
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Pure of Heart
Grey 1978
Godswalk
Grey 1974
Dancer's Image
Kate's Intent
4-r
2-h
Audrey Joan
Chestnut 1963
Doutelle
Zoom
2-f
10-c
Leica Maizcay
Brown 1998
Our Maizcay
Bay 1992
Maizcay
Bay 1984
Marscay
Corn
4-m
14-c
Maire Viita
Chestnut 1983
Dalsaan
Arctic Walk
21-a
6-e
Ohau Leica
Brown 1994
Kingdom Bay
Chestnut 1981
Otehi Bay
Golden Praise
13-b
22-b
Leica Chance
Brown 1982
Baguette
Pretend to Leica
6-c
8-k
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:05pm
Yet on the dam-side bred to go fast for 995m and then faint.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Yet on the dam-side bred to go fast for 995m and then faint.

Isn’t that damline the one that has given us other Derby winners including LEICA LOVER and NOTHIN LEICA DANE?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:20pm
Go back a bit SC it is the Lady Chester family of which the above two are members.  While All American has a great mudder stayer in Strawberry Road in his pedigree so we should of know it would swim. Actually hate to sound silly but where are the nay sayers for a middle distance horses.  The three year olds have swept the board and the Brisbane Cup was 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
Yes indeed, however the last four generations have departed a very long way away from the earlier tail female line, commencing when Leica Chance went to Kingdom Bay.There's no Sir Tristram, Pretendre or Ribot in this pedigree as was the case with Nothin Leica Dane and Leica Lover.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:28pm
If I have ever seen a 4yo who would be suited to the Cox Plate, he is it.

Of course the MV track is one which has hindered Sydney horses, and her majesty is back for an encore, but as stated he can sit up on speed, he handles all conditions and can run good time.

He could have run a good second today, and he would have been praised (the runner up with the aid of the inside had his chance to win), but he knuckled down and I have nothing but respect for the owners not taking the Hong Kong offer   

Spring here we come
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:39pm
Second dam is a half sister to Willy Leica who was second in a Grand Prix in Brisbane and won to 2000m.  There is also a chance of horses for courses.  Is Dark Dream a true stayer now he has won a Derby, which incidentally was run on an odd distance at Doomben.  Had the race been run at Eagle Farm, there is probably little doubt we would be talking about Youngstar right now.  She is the horse to follow out of the race.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Progold Progold wrote:

Second dam is a half sister to Willy Leica who was second in a Grand Prix in Brisbane and won to 2000m.  There is also a chance of horses for courses.  Is Dark Dream a true stayer now he has won a Derby, which incidentally was run on an odd distance at Doomben.  Had the race been run at Eagle Farm, there is probably little doubt we would be talking about Youngstar right now.  She is the horse to follow out of the race.

She would still have had to make up a lot of ground.

He settled midfield and mad a mid race move before settling again. I would imagine he had been just as strong at the end of 2400m at Eagle Farm as he was at 2200m at Doomben.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:53pm
Good post.

Thing is the tail female line is essentially speedbased, yet for the most part its better performers over recent years are when the females have been covered by strongly bred sires.  Willy Leica being the latest, his dam having visited a sire from the Sadler's Wells sire line.

Sorry if we're boring the racing fans.  Embarrassed
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:36pm
Latarmiss was a very underrated sire, but closely related to Green Desert, Twining and Press Card, all pretty much speed stallions.  With Sadler's Wells being a full brother to another predominant speed influence in Fairy King, that would support a theory that the female line is responsible for Dark Dream getting a little further than his pedigree would appear to suggest at least on face value.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm
Every year people get carried away with Qld 3yo form. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Progold Progold wrote:

Latarmiss was a very underrated sire, but closely related to Green Desert, Twining and Press Card, all pretty much speed stallions.  With Sadler's Wells being a full brother to another predominant speed influence in Fairy King, that would support a theory that the female line is responsible for Dark Dream getting a little further than his pedigree would appear to suggest at least on face value.

Which doesn't mention that Green Desert, Twining and Press Card all hail from predominantly sprinter/miler sire lines. And would also query Fairy King as a "speed influence" internationally.

But we digress.

Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

How many of you guys backed Dark Dream last start ?

Always be careful of lead up runs for the classics when the horse has already shown something. 
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:34pm
In case it hasn't been mentioned KERRY PARKER learnt from the astute LES BRIDGE.
(I think)...Carioca,input please.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:34pm
Les won the MELBOURNE CUP with KENSAI
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Every year people get carried away with Qld 3yo form. 

Do they?

I feel like QLD form is generally under rated.

Coming up here 'makes' a lot of young horses. Winx, Press Statement, Zoustar all really developed into the stars they were from their trips to Queensland.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 12:01am
To clarify - Every year people get carried away with Qld 3yo form immediately after the races. 

Winx is the exception to every rule. Have a look at the Qld Derby and Oaks winners and Melb spring feature race winners. Duplicates are rare. Waller is one of few who targets Qld with late comers - like The Autumn Sun.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 12:06am
Just recently we've had fairly good horses in Oaks and Derbies up here. Winx/Werther/Egg Tart are all fairly top draw horses. Obviously it's hit and miss between the years, but I feel like they're just as good a form reference if not better than the Victorian/SA/NSW equivalents.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 12:35am
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

In case it hasn't been mentioned KERRY PARKER learnt from the astute LES BRIDGE.
(I think)...Carioca,input please.

Yes he did a Red Hunter, according to a story I have read spent 5 years with Les, he would have been a good man to work for , I left Sydney in /66 so KP would have been there well after, he seems well grounded and that's a gutsy horse he's got.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

Just recently we've had fairly good horses in Oaks and Derbies up here. Winx/Werther/Egg Tart are all fairly top draw horses. Obviously it's hit and miss between the years, but I feel like they're just as good a form reference if not better than the Victorian/SA/NSW equivalents.
NSW>QLD>VIC>ADL imo
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
Done a slight stats test.

Since 2000, the Caulfield Cup has seen 8 winners and 16 placegetters come through the Sydney classics (including the Rosehill Guineas and Vinery Stakes in that).

Queensland has seen 1 win (Ethereal) + 3 4ths. I thought Gai's Tullamore had raced in Brisbane but I can not find any reference, and he ran third in 2011 at Caulfield.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Done a slight stats test.

Since 2000, the Caulfield Cup has seen 8 winners and 16 placegetters come through the Sydney classics (including the Rosehill Guineas and Vinery Stakes in that).

Queensland has seen 1 win (Ethereal) + 3 4ths. I thought Gai's Tullamore had raced in Brisbane but I can not find any reference, and he ran third in 2011 at Caulfield.

I am always sceptical about the right formlines for ANY race.

Where did Boom Time come from ?
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 7:13pm
I am sure that he ran in the W.A.Derby as a 3yo djebel, but Jamal would be able to confirm or deny that. I seem to remember him running 4th to the top filly of a few seasons back.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 7:31pm
Ran 3rd to Delicacy in the 2015 WA Derby
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 7:37pm
There is just no hard and fast way of directing a horse to either Cup.

You have to make your selection/s on an individual basis.
reductio ad absurdum
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:11am
Owner Mary Jane Basson hoping Dark Dream can smoke his rivals on way to spring carnival glory
June 10, 2018 5:53pm
NATHAN EXELBYThe Courier-Mail
OWNER Mary Jane Basson has already knocked back a $2 million offer for her Queensland Derby winning “baby” Dark Dream, who she now hopes can take her all the way to spring carnival glory.

Whether that is this year, or next, Basson doesn’t mind.

“He’s still growing. After he has a spell he will come back a bigger, better and more powerful horse than he already is,” she said.

“He’s a work in progress. We will see how he enjoys his spell. Clearly Melbourne is the goal, if not this year, definitely next year. He will let us know.”

Dark Dream is an unlikely Group 1 winner, as he is from a mare that was saved from a doomed fate because Basson happened to be in the right place at the right time.

“I was at a broodmare sale, with no intention of buying a broodmare,” Basson explained on Radio TAB’s Past The Post.

“I was with a friend having coffee in the sun and suddenly I saw this beautiful grey mare in the ring that was about to be knocked down to the ‘doggers’ and I put my hand up and for the princely sum of $800 Buchanan Girl became mine.

“We went to All American first up, we got a filly the first time who was regrettably struck by lightning when she was a yearling. She was an outstanding type and it broke my heart.

“So I went back to All American and the second time we got Dark Dream. As a baby he had a rather prominent parrot mouth and very wonky legs and was nothing like his beautifully conformed sister.

“To have one struck by lightning and one turn around and win the Derby I think it’s the same odds for both events happening.”

Offers have been rolling in for Dark Dream for a number of weeks. In particular after he dominated the Rough Habit Plate last month. But Basson has politely declined all offers.

“I knocked back $2 million, which was an extraordinarily generous offer, but he’s like my baby and you just can’t sell family, it’s as simple as that,” she said.

“I said to Kerry (Parker) a number of years ago I would get him his first Group 1 and to come good on that promise has been a marvellous thing for both of us and indeed the whole stable.”

Dark Dream is yet to miss a place in 10 starts, with his ‘worst’ effort being third in the Grand Prix, where he lost a shoe and “about two inches of wall on either side”, plus having a nail pierce through the sole of his foot.

“We iced it the first day, poulticed it for another two days to make sure there was no infection, then the farrier put the shoe on and he was as good as gold,” Basson said.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Great story that, noticed a lot of hoof filler to build up the wall on tv , the farrier has done a top job, congratulations all round.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:05pm
Yes a fantastic story. I hope it gets better and he wins the Melbourne Cup for them. But $2m was a great offer for a gelding. I would’ve snapped it up in a flash.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>