Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Crawford= Zab Judah or Sugar Ray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 8:01pm
Posting for a friend, a keen student of the pugilistic arts:

World reacts to Jeff Horn’s loss to Terence Crawford

AUSSIE Jeff Horn has been warned by a boxing promoter to “pack it in” or risk getting “really hurt” if he keeps on fighting.

AUSSIE welterweight star Jeff Horn lost his championship belt in devastating fashion after US boxer Terence Crawford claimed victory in a one-sided clash in Las Vegas.

The Aussie went to the States as the resounding underdog against the undefeated Crawford, whose lightning-quick hands and speedy footwork regularly sees him compared to fighting icon Floyd Mayweather.

A weigh-in controversy the day before, which saw Horn rush to drop 260 grams after initially coming in heavy, didn’t appear to weigh on the laid-back Aussie’s mind.

Horn was weighing around the 70kg mark by the time he touched gloves with Crawford, but his superior size was no match for the American’s incredible defence and striking speed.

The hardy 30-year-old sc  more....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/world-reacts-to-jeff-horns-loss-to-terence-crawford/news-story/97884b1f61ac376e956368beba8d7e92

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:05am
I read the lead up form wrong but Horn wasn't slaughtered and damaged
as sometimes happens .       . The winner too classy and will rule the welterweight division for a long time.
Horn will be stronger in the higher division and can continue to get some nice returns against lessor opposition.
Crawford is hailed as the best lb for lb in the world , we now see why.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
It was embarrassing watching that fight Macca. I was one of about 200 half tanked Horn supporters looking for an opportunity to cheer him on - just didn't happen. The bookies got it wrong - his real price was 200/1. He should retire now imo - easy to say you are going to retire young when you are unbeaten & on top of the world - we will wee how it now pans out. Surely not even us quality boxer starved Aussies would cop a Mundine/Horn fight
Refer ALP Election Promises
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:32am
How much would he have earned so far?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

It was embarrassing watching that fight Macca. I was one of about 200 half tanked Horn supporters looking for an opportunity to cheer him on - just didn't happen. The bookies got it wrong - his real price was 200/1. He should retire now imo - easy to say you are going to retire young when you are unbeaten & on top of the world - we will wee how it now pans out. Surely not even us quality boxer starved Aussies would cop a Mundine/Horn fight

Strange to say , Mundine draws like a poultice & an easy million each is assured.
   I'm thinking Horn is very weakened making the weights for the welter division.     He stopped as if shot at about round 6....
His make up has him prone to facial cuts & his boxing skills limited .
A brawling type and shouldn't stay in it long or he will resemble my X.
No embarrassment ,   I think his opponent is one who will reach greater heights.
    As I've said before ,      I've been wrong 3 times in life , I misjudged Crawford and married the other 2.    
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:34am
US$2.25m from his last 2 fights
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:35am
Purse only. No idea what his earnings from endorsements etc would be At least that again probably
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Yeah fair point Shrunk. Not that much I would have thought. Costs are big as well. Certainly wont be getting any big purse fights in the States again anytime soon
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:37am
Enough to happily retire on, thats for sure

Especially with his super fund from the teachers union which is always very goodSmile
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:42am
Trainer says the Hornado would have finished on strong and taken out Crawford late.Ouch
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Yeah fair point Shrunk. Not that much I would have thought. Costs are big as well. Certainly wont be getting any big purse fights in the States again anytime soon
Cheers above PT. Not even sure he will be getting much in the way of endorsements any more. Now a big time loser - not a winner. If he has earnt around 5mill PT I would think after costs he wouldn't have all that much left. How many belong to Team Horn ? Probably should have had at least a few more winnable lead up fights to fatten the coffers a bit maybe
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:45am
That was one of the main arguments for him fighting Mundine before Crawford oneone, a big purse and no real influence on the Crawford fight if he lost.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:46am
He would still get $2m for fighting Mundine this year it is estimated
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Trainer says the Hornado would have finished on strong and taken out Crawford late.Ouch

His trainer needs to shut up now. His boy was getting beaten like a rented mule. Someone tell him Rocky was just a movie.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:52am
What did PT Barnum say- never underestimate the stupidity of an Aussie fight fan. Get old man Mundine out there to wind them up again- plenty of gold left in that depleted bore.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:12pm

What did PT Barnum say- never underestimate the stupidity of an Aussie fight fan. Get old man Mundine out there to wind them up again- plenty of gold left in that depleted bore.

Your not wrong Tlaz and it is cruel that Horn loses one fight in his career to the best rated fighter in the world and we Ozzies are weak enough to be tongue lashing him ..      He has not avoided anyone and I feel weight is his enemy.
Agree he is no true world champion ,   a gutsy brawler who gives his best and credit to him for having beaten more than one top world rated fighter .
He is better than Mundine or Green but I also agree he should not fight on much longer.
Financial security for his family has been achieved , Good luck to him and I admire his humble , non aggressive manner in private life .
   He is a great advertisement for Australia.
& YES , Crawford is a class above him.    The referee was spot on.
           A credit to his profession.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm
Horn is a victim of the Top Rank contract. If not for that there is no way he would have fought Crawford at this stage.. No, he would have been managed in the orthodox boxing way- diligently avoiding the best boxers in your division and fighting as many tomato cans as you can find.

On the other hand, he wouldn't have got the Pacman fight.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:44pm
Similar to the great Joe Louis, succession of fighters were called " the bum of the month club".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Your not wrong Tlaz and it is cruel that Horn loses one fight in his career to the best rated fighter in the world and we Ozzies are weak enough to be tongue lashing him ..      He has not avoided anyone and I feel weight is his enemy.
Agree he is no true world champion ,   a gutsy brawler who gives his best and credit to him for having beaten more than one top world rated fighter .
He is better than Mundine or Green but I also agree he should not fight on much longer.
Financial security for his family has been achieved , Good luck to him and I admire his humble , non aggressive manner in private life .
   He is a great advertisement for Australia.
& YES , Crawford is a class above him.    The referee was spot on.
           A credit to his profession.

When he accepted this fight, even though he got a decision over an aging/aged Manny, this reminded me of Shannon Taylor in the 80's maxie. Racked up 27 straight and instead of milking the dollar from his obvious ability, he took an ill advised fight against Sugar Shane Mosely, who mauled him. Shannon couldn't get up off his chair, to face the 7th round, he was so badly beaten. Was never the same afterwards turning to grog and coke before God to make a comeback. A bad defeat can damage you in lots of unforeseen ways.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 3:53pm
   Horne wasn't badly hurt at any stage of that fight ( compared to his other bouts ).      the referee was his best friend .

I said to my son early that Horn looked physically exhausted ( about round 6 )

I think we all accept the stoppage was warranted as it was evident from there on he was going to get battered.
Difficulty making the weight is always a BAD sign.
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Horne wasn't badly hurt at any stage of that fight ( compared to his other bouts ).      the referee was his best friend .

I said to my son early that Horn looked physically exhausted ( about round 6 )

I think we all accept the stoppage was warranted as it was evident from there on he was going to get battered.
Difficulty making the weight is always a BAD sign.

Yep, was counting his money and said that will do me. 
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 4:19pm
Having said that to be fair to Crawford he is a class above Horn.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Newtown Old Boy Newtown Old Boy wrote:

Having said that to be fair to Crawford he is a class above Horn.

You are 100%, spot on . NOB.    I now accept Crawford is a class act .

I do repeat that I believe Horn is badly weakened making the weight and was much the same with Manny Paccio ....     You can't dehydrate and recover in quick time.
Horn appears drawn , sunken eyes , pale ....     Typical of dehydration.
He needs a month in the sun and 3 months on XXXX ....       Our member who follows that regime fights like a tiger. ( No Names ,No Court cases )
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:36pm
I reckon he will fight on, and as you suggest macca, in the next weight division will extend his longevity. A couple of million LESS expenses, isn't enough to retire on if the endorsements stop ... at least with a referee and the rules, it's safer than an Australian classroom!Ouch
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I reckon he will fight on, and as you suggest macca, in the next weight division will extend his longevity. A couple of million LESS expenses, isn't enough to retire on if the endorsements stop ... at least with a referee and the rules, it's safer than an Australian classroom!Ouch

Many a true word spoken in jest.

Watch a different man front up as a middleweight, appearance wise.
He presented as unhealthy, Poor muscle tone . Looks aneamia pale, sunken eyes.

Crawford looked awesome with his muscular frame. Jumping out of his skin.

Horn has gone backwards in recent bouts.   He was fatigued & couldn't lift his arms after round 6.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123