Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Masar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masar
    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:38pm
MASAR (IRE)Chestnut colt 2015 
New Approach
Chestnut 2005
Galileo
Bay 1998
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Urban Sea
Chestnut 1989
Miswaki
Chestnut 1978
Mr Prospector
Hopespringseternal
13-c
16-g
Allegretta
Chestnut 1978
Lombard
Anatevka
1-d
9-h
Park Express
Bay or brown 1983
Ahonoora
Chestnut 1975
Lorenzaccio
Chestnut 1965
Klairon
Phoenissa
1-w
5-h
Helen Nichols
Chestnut 1966
Martial
Quaker Girl
2-e
1-m
Matcher
Brown 1966
Match
Brown 1958
Tantieme
Relance
20-a
16-g
Lachine
Bay 1960
Grey Sovereign
Loved One
6-f
19-b
Khawlah
Bay 2008
Cape Cross
Bay or brown 1994
Green Desert
Bay 1983
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Foreign Courier
Bay 1979
Sir Ivor
Courtly Dee
8-g
A4
Park Appeal
Bay or brown 1982
Ahonoora
Chestnut 1975
Lorenzaccio
Helen Nichols
5-h
1-m
Balidaress
Grey 1973
Balidar
Innocence
8-d
14-c
Villarrica
Chestnut 2002
Selkirk
Chestnut 1988
Sharpen Up
Chestnut 1969
Atan
Rocchetta
2-f
5-i
Annie Edge
Chestnut 1980
Nebbiolo
Friendly Court
19-c
15-a
Melikah
Chestnut 1997
Lammtarra
Chestnut 1992
Nijinsky
Snow Bride
8-f
22-b
Urban Sea
Chestnut 1989
Miswaki
Allegretta
16-g
9-h
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m x 5m Urban Sea3m x 4f Ahonoora3f x 4f
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:43pm

Charlie Appleby throws down gauntlet to Aidan O’Brien at Masar’s Derby party

Trainer says Godolphin now have ‘a horse they’ve got to beat’
 Appleby admits Godolphin had been failing to punch its weight

A kind of admission came from Godolphin’s Derby-winning trainer, Charlie Appleby, as he reflected with relish on Masar’s win at Epsom on Saturday. Surrounded by dozens of gleeful staffers here at his Newmarket stable, where a good part of Monday was taken up by celebratory photographs with the horse, Appleby conceded that Godolphin had for years been failing to punch its weight in high-profile clashes with Aidan O’Brien’s runners.

“People in racing want to see competition,” Appleby said. “Unfortunately we haven’t been competitive enough. That’s the honesty of it. I can flower it up as much as I want but we haven’t been competitive. We know that.

“We’re not in a bubble. I know what people are saying outside these gates. But that just gives us more determination and drive to prove people wrong. We’re going into the rest of the season with a horse that they’ve got to beat.” He expects to choose between the Eclipse and the Irish Derby for Masar’s next target.

Appleby’s wife, Aisling, used to transport Ballydoyle-based horses to race in France and further afield and the trainer now takes the view that that willingness to send horses abroad has been part of the reason for O’Brien’s success. “They travel their horses all round the world and they just seem to get stronger. I think mentally they strengthen. And if you’re mentally strong, the rest of your body is strong. If you see people who panic, they’re generally pretty lightweight. Those who don’t stress as much put condition on.”

Masar raced in the US last autumn, a venture to the Breeders’ Cup which was thoroughly disappointing at the time, as he could finish only sixth. But Appleby now feels it may have been the making of the colt.

“It’s definitely helped him; there’s no doubt about it,” he said, adding that the horse has developed an even temperament that proved invaluable in the Epsom hubbub. Pointing to where Masar was relaxed amid the taking of a thousand selfies, Appleby added: “Not too many horses would stand there with 100 people around them. He’s got a great head on him.”

Appleby’s five-year training career could now be interpreted as one of steady progress towards Saturday’s summit and he was happy to point to his excellent strike-rate in the Derby, having only ever had three runners in the race. That sparing approach did not feel so good two years ago, when he did not have a runner and opted to stay at Moulton Paddocks when all of Godolphin’s other senior figures were climbing into helicopters to go and watch the big race at Epsom.

“But I’ll never forget the boss, Sheikh Mohammed, put his arm round me and said: ‘Don’t worry, Charlie, there’s a Derby next year for you.’ That’s the person he is.”

“I think this is a great confidence-boost for Charlie,” said Godolphin’s managing director, Hugh Anderson. “We’ve all known that he has got the potential. He’s desperate to be successful.

“This is an absolute credit to him and he did come in in difficult circumstances,” Anderson added, alluding to the doping scandal that disgraced Mahmood al-Zarooni, Godolphin’s trainer at Moulton Paddocks until 2013. “It seems a long time ago now.”

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 9:03pm
Thanks djebel Thumbs Upwhat a beautifully constructed pedigree & tho' I'm sure there are others, I've seen neither dups of Urban Sea nor Ahonoora.
Ken McLean was a huge rap for Klairon dups in his Quest for a Classic Winner.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 2:49am
An ordinary performance by Masar today in the Princess Of Wales's Stakes at Newmarket.  Will they continue his comeback after injury or decide to retire him to stud?

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:04pm
Off to stud
 Post Reply Post Reply