Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

WORLD CUP 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
Belgium has what appears an easy entry into the group stage playing Panama to night, 5/1 on about right , Kevin de Bruyne Belgium flanker is a brilliant footballer and is my roughie for the golden boot 175/1 , Ronaldo may have stolen a march on them though, hope I can stay up to watch this bloke but I don't like my chances lol.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:16am
I was thinking the same thing djebel.

Imagine the leftist, biased, and out of date , tax payer funded, SBS being asked by a Liberal, conservative, Prime Minister to bail out a privately run company.

The SBS channel should of had the rights to begin with, but some penny pinching ar%$hole, who conspired to give the rorting, bribing FIFA organisation $43 million, for one vote in a selection of host nation for 2022's cup, would not ante up and pay for the rights of one of the most popular sporting events in the world.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:50am
Some penny pinching whatever you said did the same thing to every other major sporting contest a while ago. But of course this should be the exception.

Good grief you lot whinge and present one sided garbage about modern day realities that no political party has stopped from happening.

Cry Confused

Pass them some tissues Doc but drop the W word.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:35am
Why does the Pommy Team remind me of Spurs??????

H A R R Y      K A N E   ! ! !
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Love the way this is playing out. Embarrassing for the Liberal Party and their supporters. Fancy a private sector company calling on a Public broadcaster to save their bacon.

Coalition supporters and Privatisation aficionados are a disgrace. 

On that theme, Media Watch was interesting last night. At the time it was being sold "You are idiots for opposing the privatisation of a public asset- it's good for everyone." This week. "Shock horror- greedy rich bastards making mega profits at your expense from their privatised asset." On the front page. No apologies.

Privatise a state owned monopoly and prices go up- who could have predicted that? You'd have to be Nostradamus.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:22pm
England should have scored 6 or 7 Brudder while Tunisia's penalty goal was a much bigger joke than the decision against Oz. Pathetic effort from the ref.

This young England team look their best for a long time.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
I am not sure about anyone else 3b, but I am not sure what you are on about.

Since Abbott was prime minister the public broadcasters have had their budgets cut by at least 20%.That is a reality, not a bias whinge.

In 2014, the government could not do anything about the contract for the world cup, so they had to honor the agreement that SBS had signed with FIFA.

Now that the Liberal party have cut the budget for the ABC and SBS, this is the first time in over 30 years, that SBS have been outbid, by another local broadcaster for the exclusive broadcast rights.

It is not my fault that the government who have cut the budget, is formed by the Liberal party, that is just the way it has turned out, and I would be saying the same about the Labor side, to if they were responsible.

Also I am not whinging and whining. I am making an observation, that governments think they can just privatise something and it fixes all the problems, ven when there was no problem to fix.

In Goulburn at the moment, a developer is making a presentation to the council, to construct a private jail. If you want to see how privatisation goes when a government service is handed to private contractors, then look at a documentary about how private prison contractors in the USA, only care about making a profit and they only make a profit when the cells are full.

Privatisation is a rort, which is not only done in Russia to fill Vlad's pockets, the west has a pretty good record at lining politicians pockets, by providing jobs in the privatised sector, or on company boards, if they supply the service to a private company.

There are some things which need to be privatised, and some which need to be managed by the government.

If your electricity bill has risen over the last five years, then that is a direct consequence of privatisation!       
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Love the way this is playing out. Embarrassing for the Liberal Party and their supporters. Fancy a private sector company calling on a Public broadcaster to save their bacon.

Coalition supporters and Privatisation aficionados are a disgrace. 

On that theme, Media Watch was interesting last night. At the time it was being sold "You are idiots for opposing the privatisation of a public asset- it's good for everyone." This week. "Shock horror- greedy rich bastards making mega profits at your expense from their privatised asset." On the front page. No apologies.

Privatise a state owned monopoly and prices go up- who could have predicted that? You'd have to be Nostradamus.

When it comes to privatisation, there is no correct answer Tlaz.

Privatise, and the "greedy corporates" will steal all the profits - WHY ELSE WOULD THEY BUTY THE BUSINESS??? ... they WILL of course provide; jobs and dividends to shareholders (like CBA does to EVERYONE's Super), taxation benefits to the citizens (people need to stop lying about corporates not paying tax - they ALL pay some type of indirect tax, via duties, GST, payroll tax, excises, etc, etc, before income tax is even calculated, but no self respecting left wing journalist would ever mention THAT!)

or

Leave it to be run by hopeless, hapless, disinterested, wasteful, unproductive bureaucrats and public servants who will just spend ALL of our money, changing logos and letterheads, to ensure that the budget is spent, and not cut next year, and to fill in the time when they are not busily engaged taking their turn to look out the window at the harbor views, or simply absent altogether due to Domestic Abuse Stress Leave ... sucking the country dry like the majority of the 2 MILLION public servants, bureaucrats and politicians do now, and producing nothing of value. 

Take your pick!Dead
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:30pm
... and what is the real difference between a Public Service, run uneconomically by overpaid, over staffed parasites (who then "outsource" everything anyway!) that costs taxpayers cumulatively hundreds of billions a year, and Greedy Corporations who minimise their tax?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm
... and when I speak of public servants, I don't mean the front line, essential service types, like police officers, nurses, ambos, etc, who are in many case underpaid, but the parasites who occupy massively over staffed administrative departments in all levels of public service and government ... we all know one or ten of those, my taxes pay the wages of a couple of them every year!Dead
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm
Optus chief blames it on “unprecedented demand”...for the World Cup. Not sure what they were expecting
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:20pm
LOL
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:16pm
Well there is always one group where the higher ranked teams flounder.

Not sure how Japan beat Colombia, but obviously the extra man helped.

I am not up with my Senegal football form, but Poland had a shocker.

I think the Russians have had another go at that special drink that everyone had at Sochi, in the Olympics. They look like superstars and will get through to round of 16 now.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:40pm
I thought Senegal was very impressive and Poland was boring.  It was great to see an African side stand up.  Poland brought nothing but the same old, same old to the contest where as Senegal took the game to them and made them look boring. The stadium was full of Poles but their team seemed inhibited by the expectation.  

Russia has been beating up on some ordinary sides.  The Saudis were pathetic and Egypt depended too heavily on Sallah.  Lucy Zelic made the point that Sallah looks so much better when surrounded by the talent at Liverpool than by his countrymen who leave him with too much to do.   The Russians have their tails up and have stunned everyone with their form but they could be in for a rude shock when they meet Uruguay.

I am impressed with the Belgians.  They look solid through the lines, although Panama looked well out of their depth.  Lukaku could be the golden boot. 

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:42pm
Gut feeling:

England will play France in the final and England will win the World Cup.

Smokey:

Japan. I really liked the way they played last night. Sure, they had advantages, but they have good headers, and look extremely threatening in offence.
Would be a huge boilover, but I do believe its possible

No idea why, but have a gut feeling England is going to win the World Cup, so Ive backed them.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:59pm
Just announced that SBS are showing all world cup games until at least 29th June, as Optus have not fixed the buffering and vision problems.

SBS are loving this. I can not wait to see how Andrew Bolt, Rohan Whatshisname and Ross Cameron will spin this win for the public server.

I am loving this. It almost as good as Rusty's, Danon Liberty theory in the Stradbroke.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:05pm
Poland no surprise they have a real workmanlike mentality that's hard to shake.

Is Lucy Zelic the wife/sister of Ned?
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:15pm
Sister
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:51pm
Thank you.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

For those with access to UBET retail outlets they have a nice inflated odds promo this afternoon at 4pm.

Australia to score against France @$4
Normal price is around $2. Didn’t catch all the details but would assume $25 max bet. They mentioned using Tappy (use your mobile device to generate a betting slip with bar code which you scan) but not sure if you can also place it as normal on the self serve terminals. In any event, get as much on as you possibly can and then back Australia NOT to score with other books. Currently around $1.70 so a decent profit to be had here.

These self serve terminals you speak of, are they in the same mould as the easy bet terminals (ebt's) in VIC/NSW?

I haven't been up to Queensland for a while but l'm pretty sure the last time l was up there they didn't have the same betting machines as VIC/NSW. They seemed to be a bit backwards up there. But these new UBET outlets sound promising.

If they've upgraded to the ebt's l'm accustomed to, you can make quite a bit of money on the above arbitrage. They might say max bet is $25 but on those ebt machines you can pump out as many tickets as you like.

Yes they are a similar set up. Very easy to use. Designed similar to their app. They are relatively recent up here. Have been rolled out across their retail network over the last perhaps 18 months or so.

Yes you can pump out multiple tickets very quickly on these machines. They do take some countermeasures for example if a venue sees an unusually large volume of promo bets compared to their normal number of customers they have the ability to shut down the promo at a venue level. I experienced this when they gave $2 for Winx to win the Cox Plate last year the day before the race. The countermeasures are largely ineffective though as there are ways around them. I have always got on what I wanted to without any/many issues.

This particular promo is worth approx $16 per $25 you get down.

Ta for that info. Let us know how you get on later today. I might have to start making trips up north.

So with these betting machines, do you insert money (notes) into them? And do they give you your bet in a form of a little bet ticket with a barcode? And if that's the case, do they disburse vouchers? (when there's any remaining credit in the machine.)

No worries. Will advise later. I was in an agency an hour ago and it is definitely only using Tappy. I have a couple of ideas to try if I can’t get on more than one ticket but will see what happens.

They take cash or credit vouchers (scan the barcode with those).
Bets are issued on tickets with a bar code.
Yes they give a credit voucher with a bar code for any remaining credit. Just go scan it at the main windows to get the cash.

These promos are available in SA & NT as well FWIW.

Their systems can detect when a particular device has used the offer so only 1 ticket on today. VPN doesn’t help (maybe a better one might fool the app?), either does deleting the app or changing Apple ID. Will have to use multiple devices for the next offer prior to Australia’s 2nd match.

Have found a way around this problem will share via PM if anyone is interested. Currently have $175 down @$4 with more to come later on. Total profit $120. Easy.

UBET have the same promo for tomorrow nights game on currently. Only difference is $3 to score a goal this time. Worth approx $15 per $25 bet you get down when you back them NOT to score with Neds @$2.10
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:33pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:33pm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

Please don't our intelligence.  That attitude alone is hardly a recipe for success at the World Cup, however were it was the case our Socceroos would have won a couple.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:54pm
Unless you missed it: Optus hands rest of World Cup group matches to SBS after streaming debacle.

So much for Optus, and suggests plenty about those who appear so keen to bag public broadcasting.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Unless you missed it: Optus hands rest of World Cup group matches to SBS after streaming debacle.

So much for Optus, and suggests plenty about those who appear so keen to bag public broadcasting.

Awesome. One more week of work...
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:08pm
Looking forward to the Portugal v Morocco game, Ronaldo probobly gets another brace lol, Tontonan your golden boot pick Lukaku has a good chance imo as long as he gets the service off midfielder De Bruyne , remember how Gerrard's passes to Torres allowed him to build up such a record at Liverpool, same applies here I reckon.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:20pm
Impossible to see any upsets tonight

NSW TAB multi SPAIN PORT  URUGUAY win for 1 dollar returns 2.41

on the other hand

Win of MOROCCO   SAUDI  IRAN returns 1530 for a dollar

a 6/4 win multi seems a fantastic return for 3 certs, so a draw of one match must be ON THE CARDS.

(I never bet SOCCER )
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

Impossible to see any upsets tonight

NSW TAB multi SPAIN PORT  URUGUAY win for 1 dollar returns 2.41

on the other hand

Win of MOROCCO   SAUDI  IRAN returns 1530 for a dollar

a 6/4 win multi seems a fantastic return for 3 certs, so a draw of one match must be ON THE CARDS.

(I never bet SOCCER )

Arabs cant play footy....

They should stick to being camel jockeys....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

Please don't our intelligence.  That attitude alone is hardly a recipe for success at the World Cup, however were it was the case our Socceroos would have won a couple.

Are you on drugs or just spouting rubbish for the sake of it Unintelligible Babbler?
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Looking forward to the Portugal v Morocco game, Ronaldo probobly gets another brace lol, Tontonan your golden boot pick Lukaku has a good chance imo as long as he gets the service off midfielder De Bruyne , remember how Gerrard's passes to Torres allowed him to build up such a record at Liverpool, same applies here I reckon.

True.  One of the reasons I fancy the Belgian is that I think Belgium are going much further in this World Cup than Portugal are.  I reckon they will make the Semis and that's two more games than Ronaldo is going to get (IMO).

And one of the reasons I reckon Belgium will get to the semis is that the theme of this World Cup seems to be that if you can't organize a goal from a set piece or a penalty, or get gifted an own goal then goals are hard to come by.  Genuine strikers like Lukaku (and Kane) are going to make all the difference.  Teams that lack genuine strike power - like Morocco (And Australia) - are going to play their hearts out... and get nowhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>