Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

WORLD CUP 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:16am
That is a fabulous place to watch the World cup final.  There will be no topping that.

Even so my couch is a great spot too.  I call my couch 'The Paraguay' because I bought it on the back of the proceeds of some bets during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.  I am not Paraguayan, but I was a little bit in 2010. 

I have been camped on this couch, under my heated bunny rug, for a month now and seen most of the matches of this epic tournament.  I have not had many bets.  Belgium and Lukaku  sums it up ... and their will be no new furniture this year, but I feel like a winner anyway because I have been spoiled rotten by this feast of football.  

It has been a great tournament.  The Russians have put on a great show, the broadcasters have done a great job delivering it to me.  I am going to miss my nightly Lucy when its all over.  

I'm ready.  I have had a Sunday pot roast.   I have chocolate eclair lollies and a scotch whiskey to get me through the final.  The bunny rug is warmed up.  

I would love to see Croatia win for the sake of the Croats but I think Deschamps has the blues peaking at the right time and Croatia might be at the end of their tether after so many extra time quests.   France 3 Croatia 1.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:34am
I hope your right,   My Small interest is on France @ $1.97.

I don't like the game enough to stay up and watch but the recording and fast forward does brighten things up somewhat.    In the morning.
feline View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:12am
just finished watching this "sporting" event.. was like pulling teeth most of the time. I stuck it out as I watch 4 free but the admin is shocking with all the fake dives and "injuries" & bluffed referees giving questionable decisions. Thank god it's not back for another 4 years.To bet on this u need a good sense of humour & no expectation of collecting. After this effort imagine what Qatar will be like!
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:16am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

France for me. Have had a small bet on them though so that probably rules them out.

In to $3 fav now and looking good.

Have probably put the mock on them now though.

One game away!

$1.70 on Betfair now. Will be slightly longer if England get through tomorrow. Slightly shorter if it’s Croatia.

$1.49 now. Almost short enough that I’m considering laying some off.

Well that was a pleasing result. Guesses do win occasionally it seems.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by feline feline wrote:

just finished watching this "sporting" event.. was like pulling teeth most of the time. I stuck it out as I watch 4 free but the admin is shocking with all the fake dives and "injuries" & bluffed referees giving questionable decisions. Thank god it's not back for another 4 years.To bet on this u need a good sense of humour & no expectation of collecting. After this effort imagine what Qatar will be like!

To bet on these events does give a better chance.     I pay less than 2.5% commission on League Matches,    To less than 5% on the Soccer, Tennis etc.
Compare that to the 10% on NSW racing , slightly scaling down on other Oz racing areas and you'll see where the value lies.
I know little about most of the Sports fixtures but you soon learn the TBV members & others, who do. Just Follow their guides with your usual staking Plans and you will get good value for your efforts.
We now have our "broke" Governments , desperate enough to be adding further taxes and "blind Freddy" can see that over time, they will kill another Industry.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:54pm
Nothing about Pussy Riot?
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:07pm
I cannot imagine why anyone would stay up in the middle of the night,  in the middle of winter, to watch a sport that they neither like, appreciate or understand - and then moan about it.

It takes all sorts i suppose.  

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 6:10pm
Infantino says the world can learn from FIFA about how to conduct international diplomacy. Rule 1- find out who has the most money on the table. Rule 2- take the money. What's Rule 3?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

I cannot imagine why anyone would stay up in the middle of the night,  in the middle of winter, to watch a sport that they neither like, appreciate or understand - and then moan about it.

It takes all sorts i suppose.  

As I've said many times Tonto... It is what we are born to.
Soccer especially is like a religion in so many places.   Afl down South similar, but I think both are a terrible bore.    The supporters of those codes probably hate League , baseball etc etc.
Most are now betting mediums and that attracts the interests of those who like a gamble.    Look at the crowds some attract, and the enormous betting pools.... All Good for business & entertainment.
   "Fools" paid $395 for a seat to watch a dead State of Origin Match last week...    Some put their money on Betfairs reasonable % and had $395 worth of bets on the ( experts ) opinions of the various codes.
   I Know who finished better off come Monday Morning.   
feline View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:55am
Tontonan= it was not the middle of the night where I am nor is it winter a beautiful 27c overnight with a beer on the balcony.You're right I don't like soccer much= too many fakers but 2 each his own. Not moaning just observing. A badly administered "sport" from the top down. FIFA wouldn't survive in Oz. As Macca says "it's like a religion in so many places" --Yes because in most of those countries or banana republics soccer is the only "government approved" outlet 4 their frustrations. With all the problems horse race betting is still KING.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 1:00pm
I dont watch the game, but you gotta feel sorry for whoever wins the cup, as without a doubt the  "fans " start out celebrating and having a good time, and then madness descends,  and they end up rioting and wrecking/looting the place.  Look what they have done in Paris .  The fans of that game all seem to be a bunch of nutters ?
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Yep, more porridge I'm afraid.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
The happy news is that the tournament is only held every four years.  But if you want to stoke your discontent some more the Premier league starts on 11 August.  
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Yes carioca. All 4 members arrested, charged and sentenced to 15 days prison and banned from sporting events for 3 years.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Yes carioca. All 4 members arrested, charged and sentenced to 15 days prison and banned from sporting events for 3 years.

He must have had a " senior moment", I expected more , can't be an R sole on top of the most successful World Cup in history can he?
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 6:09pm
I dont think he wants the treatment of them defining the event carioca. There will be a next time with them, they are dedicated dissidents That is when he will ''catch up'' with them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 6:19pm

The happy news is that the tournament is only held every four years.  But if you want to stoke your discontent some more the Premier league starts on 11 August.  

August 11- it is never ending. Football has no off season. Players will be buggered at the start of the season.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">The happy news is that the tournament is only held every four years.  But if you want to stoke your discontent some more the Premier league starts on 11 August.  </span>

August 11- it is never ending. Football has no off season. Players will be buggered at the start of the season.

With fox dropping their guard and losing the rights to Optus, I will watch ( at a respectable time) whatever SBS decides to put on , although some will disagree they done a mighty job giving the people who enjoy football a chance to watch.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:05pm
Thoroughly enjoyed the Big Show and was almost sorry to see it all end, albeit just in time to watch Le Tour.

Congrats and commiserations to the finalists.  Well done to all the participants.

The England players gave their all, even given they came up short.  However the saving grace following their demise was the keenly felt knowledge that we wouldn't have to put up with that insufferable ten-pound Pom who thankfully hasn't been seen or heard of since he so rashly posted:

"ENGLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...!!!!!!!!!!!  It's coming home, it's coming home.  It's coming. Footballs coming home !!!!!!!! 
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:38pm
The news today that SBS managing director Michael Ebeid is standing down is a concern.  He has clearly waited for the end of the World Cup to make the announcement.  

It is curious because the World Cup has been an undoubted success for the broadcaster but the legislation to slash SBS funding to the tune of $28,500,000 over the next four years is very likely behind Ebeid's decision as he has already undertaken significant 'back office' savings to accommodate previous cuts to its budget.

Ebeid supported an increase in advertising from 5 to 10 minutes an hour but the bid failed after 60,000 people signed a petition against it in 2015.  Ebeid has warned that without additional funding or advertising revenue the broadcaster could lose events like the World Cup and the Tour d'France.  It seems he has no desire to oversee the dismantling of what he has achieved since he was appointed MD in July 2011. 

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:47pm
It would however appear that for whatever reason the SBS Chairman pointedly declined to provide a half-way decent thank you to Ebeid for his efforts:

"SBS Chairman Bulent Hass Dellal said Mr Ebeid's departure was "disappointing", but said he would leave the broadcaster in a stronger position".

Talk about damning the man with faint praise.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 9:06pm
Yes.  I raised an eyebrow at that too.  No idea what it is about though.  Dellal has been chairman throughout Ebeid's term as CEO.

As an aside they could safely scuttle the Food Network if they are looking to save a buck or two.  That channel has been disappointing with way to many American 'reality' cooking shows.  Now Bourdain has left there is no reason to go there anymore.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:14am
Usain Bolt playing soccer, what a joke- he'll be a giraffe on roller skates.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:37pm

I must admit I do find it odd how much time the fellow has spent here over the years. I mean he probably does reasonably well out of sponsorships with Optus & the like - hardly the big $ he could be receiving in other countries like the States. Maybe he is - & he spreads his time around too achieve just that. Or maybe he doesn't need to chase money & he just loves Australia. Thoughts ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I must admit I do find it odd how much time the fellow has spent here over the years. I mean he probably does reasonably well out of sponsorships with Optus & the like - hardly the big $ he could be receiving in other countries like the States. Maybe he is - & he spreads his time around too achieve just that. Or maybe he doesn't need to chase money & he just loves Australia. Thoughts ?

I recall reading a few years ago that his earnings were in the vicinity of US$20m per year so obviously doing something right. Agree that I can’t see how a small market like Australia would be providing a big portion of that. Crown paid him $100k to appear in their marquee on Oaks day last time I was there in 2016 though. And by “appear” I mean turn up and pose for a couple of photos with the biggest high rollers and then take off 20 min later. Decent hourly rate I suppose.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:54pm

He's pretty quick.

I thought he was a frustrated fast bowler, not a soccer diver!Confused
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:55pm
He won't be doing it for the $$$'s
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

He won't be doing it for the $$$'s

LOL
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 2:10am
He never needs to lift a finger for money again aa - he'll be making millions from endorsements for the next 50 years!

Besides, there isn't an A-League club that could afford to pay him an amount that would be more than the change in the ashtray of his car!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

He's pretty quick.

I thought he was a frustrated fast bowler, not a soccer diver!Confused

He hasn't even got the right type of speed for team sport with his slow starts. If he has a 50m windup before he gets the ball nobody will catch him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>