Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Prison for assaulting paramedics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prison for assaulting paramedics
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:19pm
Good move by the Victorian Govt.Clap

Assaults on paramedics to be put in same category as murder in Victoria

Updated Mon at 7:14pm

Any attack on Victoria's emergency service workers will be treated the same as murder and rape by the courts under tough reforms to be imposed by the State Government.

Cabinet agreed on Monday to have attacks on first responders and prison staff that resulted in injury classified as a category-one offence, which requires the court to impose a custodial sentence.

The Victorian Government has been under significant pressure after two women were spared jail time despite being found guilty of a serious assault on paramedics.

Last week, a paramedic was admitted to hospital with back and facial injuries after being spat at and punched by a patient.

The previous Coalition government introduced mandatory jail time for attacks on emergency service workers but the women were able to access special circumstances rules to avoid incarceration.

Premier Daniel Andrews met with the Police Association and Ambulance Employees Association, who have been calling for people to be jailed for such attacks, regardless of circumstance.

Police Minister Lisa Neville said the changes would close those loopholes.

"This is about sending a very strong message — you will see a custodial sentence," she said.

"You might claim you've been drunk or on drugs, [that] will not allow you out of serving time."

Under a category-one offence a custodial sentence is required, and not a community-based order.

Custodial sentences can include mental health centres.

Attackers deserve 'full force of the law'

Ambulance union secretary Steve McGhie told ABC Radio Melbourne he believed putting attacks on emergency service workers in the same category as serious crimes was appropriate.

"They're there to care for people, not there to be used as punching bags and footballs," he said.

"And if someone takes it upon themselves that that's what they think a paramedic is there for and they can punch them, spit at them, threaten them with knives, threaten them with guns … if they think that's acceptable then I think the full force of the law should come down on them.

"I don't think it will quite fix the problem but it'll certainly go a long way to sending a strong message that when people do take that action of assaulting emergency service workers, and certainly frontline health workers, then there are serious ramifications from that," he said.

How the legal change works for juvenile offenders is yet to be determined and the laws will be introduced in the coming weeks.

The Opposition promised to introduce changes to tighten special circumstances when Parliament resumes on Tuesday.

The Andrews Government is also considering how to tighten rules around special provisions when it comes to drug and alcohol-affected people.

Topics: crimelaw-crime-and-justiceprisons-and-punishmentgovernment-and-politicsstate-parliamentmelbourne-3000,vic

First posted Mon at 6:14pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-21/assaulting-paramedics-to-be-category-one-offence-in-victoria/9784448

Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:54pm
So when they say they say it will be treated like rape they are putting the paramedics on trial? The same as they do to rape victims way too often?
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:20pm
I like the bit about booze and drugs not being an "out" for the assault. Clap   These things should be looked at in all states , not just Vic.  
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:35pm
This is a knee jerk reaction by the Marxist Victorian Government, who a week ago thought it was quite acceptable for those two scrags to avoid any jail time, after they broke an ambo's leg for trying to assist them.

It wasn't until a petition with over 320,000 signatures demanded change, that this gutless ALP/Greens Collusion Government suddenly saw it as an issue worth considering ...they get no credit for this.Thumbs Down
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

This is a knee jerk reaction by the Marxist Victorian Government, who a week ago thought it was quite acceptable for those two scrags to avoid any jail time, after they broke an ambo's leg for trying to assist them.

It wasn't until a petition with over 320,000 signatures demanded change, that this gutless ALP/Greens Collusion Government suddenly saw it as an issue worth considering ...they get no credit for this.Thumbs Down

So it's a bad idea, or it's a good idea but you hate it because Labor are doing it?
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:57pm
They should absolutely be jailed for assaulting emergency service workers.
I have a grand daughter that is an Ambo and a grandson that’s in the Police force and the things they have to deal with, I don’t know how they do it.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

So it's a bad idea, or it's a good idea but you hate it because Labor are doing it?

Did you need to leave the corner of the room and stop sucking your thumb to ask that? ... ask marble. 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:06pm
Its a wonderful idea.  Booze and drugs are no excuse.  No one forces you to take either.  Do the crime do the time.  In fact I would be all for taking anyone who bashes emergency services people out and giving them a taste of their own medicine.
Yeah yeah, I know.  The bleeding hearts will be telling me how uncivilised I am,  but a good wollop or 2 never did anyone any harm if administered correctly, by the toe of a size 10 coppers boot up the bum.
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:18pm
Their faces should be tattooed.

NO AMBULANCE
NO HOSPITAL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:44pm
"A loophole exists in the mandatory six-month minimum sentence for offenders who commit offences against emergency workers on duty, if special circumstances exist.

Warren, a mother of four, and Underwood had been staring down jail time, but Judge Cotterell ruled the pair had made "enormous" efforts to turn their lives around after "appalling" childhoods and battles with drug, alcohol and mental-health problems.

She also found both women were probably mentally impaired during the attack on March 31, 2016."

From The Age

The former circumstances are no excuse & as to the latter, of course they were, no sane person would act like this pair did Angry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

"A loophole exists in the mandatory six-month
minimum sentence for offenders who commit offences against emergency
workers on duty, if special circumstances exist.
<p -reactid="491" -gtm-vis-recent-on-screen-6236702_632="21586" -gtm-vis-first-on-screen-6236702_632="21586" -gtm-vis-total--time-6236702_632="4000" -gtm-vis-has-fired-6236702_632="1">Warren,
a mother of four, and Underwood had been staring down jail time, but
Judge Cotterell ruled the pair had made "enormous" efforts to turn their
lives around after "appalling" childhoods and battles with drug,
alcohol and mental-health problems.

She also found both women were probably mentally impaired during the attack on March 31, 2016."

From The Age

The former circumstances are no excuse & as to the latter, of course they were, no sane person would act like this pair did Angry

That is interesting Gay, I am having a civilized debate on twitter on that very subject, myself coming from your point of view but my protagonist makes some good points.

If you are going to have mandatory sentencing than the Government must probably fund mental health departments to deal with these situations and protect ambulance officers.

Sending people to prison automatically does not in itself protect the ambulance officers in the moment the incident takes place.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:56pm
Must properly fund not probably fund £
reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:46pm
Absolute load of bollocks. Hate to think how many times over the years governments of all persuasions rabbit on about new tougher laws. One thing to have a law - quite another to enforce it to its max. Always get out clauses. This will just be another one
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:53pm
Why is it any worse to assault a paramedic than some totally innocent person in the wrong place at the wrong time ? I suppose you could argue that they are more exposed from a frequency perspective - that's about it. The crime is no worse. Maybe sling them a bit of danger money !
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:57pm
If you threaten to and/or assault an emergency worker, when/If you ever require help, The Emerrgency services should refuse to help you.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:57pm
Next we will need new laws for parking officers ! I mean they ARE at high risk
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:00pm
Of course these idiots are drunk or drugged.  No sober, normal person would do this.   They are always "making efforts".   Yeah, right.  So let them get out and do some work in the community to show how sorry they really are. 
animals before people.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:03pm
I reckon if we ever got all TBV members to a greeting party you would need a new set of laws. Would be absolute carnage. First new rule - all baseball bats to be left at front door !
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:10pm
Assaulting an ESW and you should die.
Throw them out of a helicopter into the ocean on a weekly basis..
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Assaulting an ESW and you should die.
Throw them out of a helicopter into the ocean on a weekly basis..

Just pick a spot where the sharks are milling to feed, when they are dropped. Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:21pm
Under the influence of drugs &/or alcohol, of course you're going to be mentally impaired!
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:15pm
I couldn't believe it when I first heard that assaults on nurses and ambos were a regular occurrence. In an insane assylum, well yeah, that figures, but outside of that- that's crazy.

Has this been going on forever and I just wasn't aware of it or is it something that started happening recently?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:56pm
I would imagine it is more regular than it was as with everything.

reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:38pm
Agree djebel - but why should that be ? With all these increased laws, our harmonious multicultural society, all the back patting well wishers, the new age parenting ect,ect I would have thought most things would be getting better/safer. Most odd !
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Agree djebel - but why should that be ? With all these increased laws, our harmonious multicultural society, all the back patting well wishers, the new age parenting ect,ect I would have thought most things would be getting better/safer. Most odd !

As everything gets bigger so do the ghettos. 

Unfortunately as our freedoms have become more so, so have those who abuse them.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

As everything gets bigger so do the ghettos. 

Unfortunately as our freedoms have become more so, so have those who abuse them.

No right minded person would abuse a paramedic in trauma, it's ICE! the scourge of society imo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Under the influence of drugs &/or alcohol, of course you're going to be mentally impaired!

Yep.   Of course .  You are going to be a complete nutter.   But.  You choose to use/take them,  so no excuse for your actions.    No excuse at all.    You get off your face and need help, and then assault that help,,for mine i wouldnt care if you died.    When the ambos rock up, if its a druggo or alcho , and they are agressive, dont treat them.  Let them wallow in their own s**t. 
Make it law.    Agressive idiots dont get help,,,
animals before people.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 3:57pm
Paramedic and police officers assaulted - Broken Hill

Two people have been charged after a number of police officers and a paramedic were allegedly assaulted in Broken Hill yesterday.

About 5.15pm (Saturday 27 October 2018), officers from Barrier Police District attended a home on McGowan Street, following reports of a concern for welfare.

It will be alleged a 33-year-old woman spat in the face of a female constable, before biting the officer’s leg, while being arrested.

The woman then allegedly used a syringe to threaten the officer and a male constable.

A 15-year-old girl was also arrested at the home, after pouring a drink over the officers and throwing a bottle at the female constable’s head.

It will be alleged the girl then spat in the face of the female officer and a male paramedic.

The pair were taken to Broken Hill Police Station, where the girl was charged with two counts of assault officer in execution of duty, assault person aiding officer, and resist officer in execution of duty.

She will appear at Broken Hill children’s court on Tuesday 20 November 2018.

The woman was charged with five counts of assault officer in execution of duty, assault person aiding officer, resist officer in execution of duty, use offensive weapon to prevent arrest, and breach of bail.

She was refused bail and will appear at Broken Hill Local Court today (Sunday 28 October 2018).

The police officers were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 4:04pm
Hmmm....syringe ...drugs , what a cancer on society .
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Hmmm....syringe ...drugs , what a cancer on society .

And some want it legalised
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>