Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

DISGRACEFUL - Event Date: 18 May 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: DISGRACEFUL
    Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:47pm
Punters' Tax could kill Betfair in Australia.

It's all happening ..    15% WA , 8% Vic ,SA, Qld and of course the NSW
bastxrds are going for the turnover Tax , rather than on profit so good bye Betfair and PUNTERS>

We need The SP to mushroom up and the Razor Gang to deal with Government reps.
A full on Revolution , better still.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:57pm
Oh goodness gracious: those poor, poor betting agencies.  Cry
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Get bent.

No betting agencies no punters.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:15pm
Looks like a government led pre-emptive strike to get Betfair's customers.

I can see TABCORP starting their own betting exchange in the near future, especially if we see a national government agency form.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:16pm
There are alternatives.  And they can certainly survive as they've done thus far.  Pay their fair share seems, as they otherwise give little back to the industry.

ps can't you ever disagree with someone without adding your little "get bent" petty put-downs?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Get bent.

Japan and Hong Kong thrive on TOTE only betting.

Whilst I myself as a punter would not like this the racing industry would almost certainly be better off.

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Looks like a government led pre-emptive strike to get Betfair's customers.

I can see TABCORP starting their own betting exchange in the near future, especially if we see a national government agency form.

Betfair have always been a thorn in their side.    . Is probably creating more interest in the entertainment than any other source.
Off subject I expect but Australia is going down the gurgler at an alarming rate in most areas.
I purchased Pharmacy goods from The UK recently at 33% of the cost in Oz . ( postage included )
Governments are desperate and The racing Industry is the new target .
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:23pm

There are alternatives.  And they can certainly survive as they've done thus far.  Pay their fair share seems, as they otherwise give little back to the industry.

ps can't you ever disagree with someone without adding your little "get bent" petty put-downs?
No, you're dancing on the grave of betfair and spitting the the eye of every punter in Australia. They pay more than their fair share and stimulate the whole market whilst Tabcorp refuses to do anything to increase tote wagering.

This is the government destroying wagering in this country, look at the tax of Scotch Whisky for example it's criminal. This is what we have to look forward to.

If this is the road they want to go down I'll move overseas and keep my money offshore and contribute nothing to the industry, suits me fine.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Get bent.

Japan and Hong Kong thrive on TOTE only betting.

Whilst I myself as a punter would not like this the racing industry would almost certainly be better off.

There's so much money on the exchange that gets dumped back into the Hong Kong pools. The market wouldn't have as strong without it. I'm not against a similar set up.

Losers only gambling models are dead in this country and if you go down that path you'll destroy racing.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:28pm
If you are winning you are not contributing.

I know you guys like to push the algorithm that way but the fact of the matter is, your bookie is paying the industry via losers. 

It is physically impossible for you to be taking more out than you are putting in and think YOU are the one contributing.

As I have said a 1000 times, I could not care what MY bookie is doing with my loses.

I am a customer of bookies not racing, When I am punting I have no interest in contributing to the wealthfare of racing. 

reductio ad absurdum
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:32pm
TAB mugs are a dying breed, if you don't offer the hope of winning and a viable future you won't attract customers.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:38pm
I do an enormous amount for the industry through the introduction of new customers and a rehabilitation of the industry within my circle of friends and acquaintances as well as online.

If the industry switches to a no winners model I will do the opposite and convince existing and potential customers that they should give it up and point them towards a better path.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:39pm
Is Betfair still alive? Was supposed to die after the High Court ruling, then the NSW turnover tax. If you want to play a bookies game pay a bookies tax imo.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Is Betfair still alive? Was supposed to die after the High Court ruling, then the NSW turnover tax. If you want to play a bookies game pay a bookies tax imo.
It's on life support.

Take a look at it compare to a maiden in the UK.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:02pm
Lol. Your "rehabilitation" skills would be in high demand then?
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:19pm
Sick burn... because marketing and brand management on social media is not a big thing.

I could have done a a better job managing Hillary Clinton's social media than Lena Dunham but then again so could have a potted plant.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:52pm

I do an enormous amount for the industry through the introduction of new customers and a rehabilitation of the industry within my circle of friends and acquaintances as well as online.

If the industry switches to a no winners model I will do the opposite and convince existing and potential customers that they should give it up and point them towards a better path.

Oh give us a break.  Don't you know pud pulling is banned on here.    
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:14pm
Quite. Was I too subtle?
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:16pm
According to the government White paper ( below ) the PoCT is levied on profits of corporates NOT turnover, if my interpretation is correct, it will not be the end of Betfair
If I place a win bet on Betfair and I am subject to a commission rate deduction on my net winnings of, say 5%, Betfair will increase that rate by 8% in Victoria to 5.4 % but if I live in SA or WA they will increase that 5% by 15% to 5,75%.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:48pm
Yes but the NSW racing fees are on turnover from memory.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:14pm
It is ridiculous that any government could justify taxing any business on turnover. Coles would turnover billions , and is only taxed on their profits. The same principle should apply to corporate bookies and Betfair, any politician suggesting otherwise has no understanding of how business operates, whether that business be Coles or a bookmaker. Tabcorp does not pay tax on their turnover, so why should their competition.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:24pm
All been argued in court iirc. There are bets and back bets involved. GST would tax both.
 Post Reply Post Reply