Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

World's Best Trainer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World's Best Trainer
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:22pm
Who is your nomination?

I have to rate W P Mullins right up there.
With a win strike rate of 27.64% from his last 3,310 runners = outstanding!

Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:30pm
Certainly right up there particularly with his jumpers. How many horses does he have? Like Waller seems to have plenty in each race, which makes his strike rate even more impressive.

Making you plenty in the TURDS thread.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:38pm
That's certainly a huge strike rate, let alone the number of winners!

ps Willy describes the current English jumping scene, as distinct from the Irish situation, as totally "in the gelatie".
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:46pm
Robert Smerdon!!!! 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by AndiCap AndiCap wrote:

Who is your nomination?

I have to rate W P Mullins right up there.
With a win strike rate of 27.64% from his last 3,310 runners = outstanding!

What is Gordon Elliots strike rate ?

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:53pm
2018/191119327-8.25
premium content
2017/1813492311736727-239.95
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:54pm
Elliott 16.7% from last 1470 runners
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:54pm
The 3rd column being the strike rate.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:55pm
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:40pm

Hidden posts are totally irrelevant to the title subject Disapprove
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:51pm
Being facetious sorry, didn't mean to stir things up.
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:05pm
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:08pm
Above for the same period as Willy.
For the record, Willy is in profit at Betfair SP after 5% Commission.

G's WSR could also be considered exceptional considering how often he competes against the Willy.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:13pm
I'll put a bid in for John Gosden. Outstanding flat figures and his numbers aren't as high as some.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:16pm
355/592
That's his individual winners to total horses through his yard over the last five years in UK.
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:51pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:15am
I think he has a lot go around at unders/short prices. Does the return get better if you exclude those under say 3/1?
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:12am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:54pm
Thank you Mr Cap
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:25pm
John Size
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm
Bob Baffert anybody ?

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 4:30pm
No US trainers for me on account of the lax drug rules. Agreed it's not their fault when playing by the rules but they are allowed to use lasix & antiinflam drugs close to race day/time which gives a decided advantage when comparing stats to ther countries.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 5:04pm
Sounds better when you say it rather than me.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:42pm
WANTED: Ascot, Cheltenham and Melbourne Cup winner

on 08 June 2018
Having saddled 3,000 worldwide winners, Willie Mullins nominates a few races he would dearly love to win 

WILLIE Mullins was not at Wexford to personally cheer home his 3,000th winner but he later commented on the achievement.

“It’s a nice thing to do and I’d never have dreamt of doing anything like this when I started off [in 1988]. I hoped I would get a few winners on the board and get established and I’m very pleased to have come this far.

He added: “We have had a lot of people that have been with us a long time and it’s a huge team effort from our staff, as they keep the whole thing rolling the whole time, while the likes of Ruby Walsh has been with us on and off for 17 or 18 years.

“The owners haven given us the investment to make it all happen, so a huge thanks goes to them. We were delighted when Rich Ricci came into the yard to give us more spending power to go get some nice horses.

“We have also had a lot of success with the Supreme Horse Racing Club, Gigginstown House Stud, Graham Wylie and more recently Jared Sullivan and Simon Munir and Isaac Souede. We have a good, broad spectrum of owners, which makes it a lot of fun.”

The champion trainer picked out selected several horses and performances that stand out in particular among his current haul of winners.

“As far as milestones with the horses go, Tourist Attraction would be one, as he was our first Cheltenham Festival winner, then after that we had the likes of Florida Pearl come along and Hurricane Fly. Annie Power was a special horse and Quevega will always have a big place in the memory bank.

“I think winning the Grand National with Hedgehunter for Trevor Hemmings is right up there as a special achievement and I suppose the other one would be Hurricane Fly winning the Champion Hurdle.”

While Mullins may have ticked a lot of boxes off on his glittering CV, including a major success in Japan, there are still several he would like to achieve across both codes of the sport. “I would like to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup, while I would also like to win an Ascot Gold Cup and a Melbourne Cup. They are all races I’d like to think we have a chance of winning, as we have got the horses to do it”

reductio ad absurdum
Cardus View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cardus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

No US trainers for me on account of the lax drug rules. Agreed it's not their fault when playing by the rules but they are allowed to use lasix & antiinflam drugs close to race day/time which gives a decided advantage when comparing stats to ther countries.

Not only do we allow those medications close to race day, we allow them on race day.

One U.S. trainer who could train anywhere in the world, though, is Bill Mott. (His Hofburg ran third in the Belmont Stakes this past Saturday.) 

Though known for his expert handling of Cigar -- a champion dirt horse from the mid-90s and winner of the first Dubai World Cup -- Mott excels with turf horses and, to my knowledge and recollection, he has not had an "overage" on legal medication or an infraction for using illegal meds.

That said, I understand the point made in your first sentence, above.

Cardus View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cardus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:43am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Bob Baffert anybody ?

More on the following link in a separate post about Justify and his Triple Crown win, but Baffert has never had to answer for the following -- at least in my eyes -- spate of Thoroughbred deaths from a few years ago, not too far in the past.

Post Reply Post Reply