Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Justin Langer The psychobabble Era

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Justin Langer The psychobabble Era
    Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:56pm

Hippies and brothers: Langer starts in style

Ten of the best lines from a memorable press conference as the new Australia coach makes his mark

Justin Langer made quite the impression in his opening press conference as the new head coach of the Australian men's cricket team while passionately outlining his plans and ambitions in the new role.

The full press conference is well worth your time, but if you can't spare the 20-plus minutes to take in the former opening batsman's enthusiasm for Australian cricket then we've outlined the best quotes below.

On aggressive cricket

"I was very fortunate, I was brought up under Bob Simpson and Allan Border. I still get nervous even saying their names, they were that tough and they demanded excellence on and off the cricket field and we played hard. I think the public will be disappointed if we don't play good, hard, competitive cricket. That said, we can also modify our behaviours."

On sledging

"The funny thing about sledging, I hear this probably October 3 every single year – I'm going to read the same headlines and I've laughed about this for 25 years. Every team that comes over and it's 'how are you going to combat the Australian sledging' and they go 'well we're not going to be scared of Australian sledging'."

On Australia's winning mentality

"It's in our Australian nature … we love to win, but we don't like to win by too much because we like to be the underdogs. I still remember it was a bit of a de-motivator in the great Australian team when we kept winning every game and they go 'yeah but it's getting a bit boring – we need some competition'."

On the banned trio

"Cameron Bancroft and Steve Smith – besides Mike Hussey – love the game more than anyone I know. They are cricket tragics and they're great kids. That's why it was such a surprise they made the mistake they did. They've made a mistake. We've all made mistakes, we can all get better at things. Davey Warner is the same, he's a really good young bloke."

On mateship

"It was so competitive to get into the (Australian) team, but when you walk through the doors with the Baggy Green it was like a brotherhood, it was like a nightclub mate. It was awesome. We'd walk in and they are my brothers. I think about Matty Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting and Glenn McGrath – they are literally like my brothers. That's what we've got to keep promoting in the Australian team."

On walking

"I got asked in a radio interview this morning, Adam Gilchrist – elite sportsman and walked when he got out. And I said 'yeah but I never walked when I got out'. 'You must be a cheat'. I said, 'no I just loved batting so much that I just didn't want to go out'. It was like when you were in the schoolyard, no-one liked getting out – you'd throw your bat and get all grumpy."

On his biggest challenge

"The Indian Test tour in about three of four years' time, to me that's the ultimate because we will judge ourselves on whether or not we're a great cricket team if we beat India in India. I look back on my career and the Mt Everest moment was 2004 when we finally beat India in India."

On his WA coaching introduction

"When I took over at WA, it was like a dysfunctional family. The ex-players hated the WACA, the WACA hated them back, club cricket hated them, WACA hated them back, media hated the WACA, the WACA hated them back – everyone was angry. I've got to bring a bit of love back!

On his public perception

"People see me as really tough and serious, that's my public persona, but I'm also a bit of a hippie. My daughter gave me a shave two days ago, because one month every year I like to grow a beard and not wear shoes."

On embracing 'different' people

"I like 'different' people. If you look at the Western Australian team, the ones I like the most are the ones who are a bit different. You've got to have some personality, you've got to have some competitive instinct, you have to be comfortable in your own skin. You can't be great at anything without being a bit different. And I am a bit different. It used to worry me when I was younger, but now I'm really comfortable in my own skin."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/top-10-quotes-justin-langer-first-press-conference-australia-coach-hippy-nightclub-brothers/2018-05-03

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:36pm
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:13pm
Would have still preferred Gillespie, but lets see where this goes!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Would have still preferred Gillespie, but lets see where this goes!

looks like its going to be a very long hard road back. Record one day score to the poms last night. England making us look like a bunch of second raters. We might have to go back to cheating
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:51am
A decent score that’s for sure. The 3-560 that Australia racked up in Billy Birmingham’s 12th Man Again nearly 30 years ago looking closer to reality than the joke that was intended as time goes on.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
'You must be a cheat'. I said, 'no I just loved batting so much that I just didn't want to go out'Wacko

Lots of hugs anyway with Langer.Hug There is nothing I enjoy more than seeing sportmen hugging and bum-patting. It gets me, right here.Ouch

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:02am
Not sure who this sweetheart is on Bil and Boz, but he is kidding if he thinks that article on Steve Smith in the Sydney Morning Heralds, good weekend magazine last Saturday, is incorrect.

Complete moron!!!!!!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:53pm
How long does he have left ? 
reductio ad absurdum
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 3:21pm
Dead man walking
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 3:33pm
Finch on the radio this morning. You could he doesn't like him but couldn't so as much
Time is a flat circle
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 8:10pm

OPINION

Grumpy Coach: How Langer’s volatile approach is wearing Australia down

There are few people I admire more in Australian cricket than Justin Langer, both as a player and statesman, but I struggled to work with him as national coach.

I filled in as Cricket Australia’s men’s team media manager in 2019 during part of the World Cup and Ashes in England then the Twenty20 series in Australia during a six-year stint in a joint Cricket Australia-Cricket NSW role as a senior communications manager.

Justin Langer has become an erratic figure in the Australian camp.later found Langer had been dealing with health issues related to his inner ear, but I quickly learnt to stay out of his way. You were never certain whether your question was going to be met with an answer or an explosion.

An early inquiry to support staff about how best to handle the situation had a simple answer: “It’s our job to de-stress the coach.”

Even a simple post on the player and support staff group chat letting them know of a particular issue that had been brought up in the media could elicit a rebuke.

I consulted support staff and communicated with Langer through short WhatsApp messages where possible. Anything to avoid direct conversations.

Some players didn’t like walking past Langer’s seat on the team bus lest they prompted a negative response. If things weren’t going well, the odd player would ask,“How’s the grumpy coach?”

Most baffling was Langer’s sudden obsession with things that, to me, didn’t seem to matter. Two days out from the beginning of the 2019-20 international summer, heading into a long-forgotten Twenty20 series against a modest Sri Lankan side, Langer decided that, despite an $800 million television deal with Fox, players would no longer be allowed to be miked up on the field.

Apparently, Glenn Maxwell had once dropped a simple catch because, Langer thought, he had been distracted by a conversation with TV commentators.

It became an issue at the team meeting leading into the series. When I pointed out that players had been miked up throughout his multiple title-winning seasons as coach of the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash, he replied: “I don’t give a rats about domestic cricket.”

In desperation, I asked the players who didn’t want to wear a microphone. Most put their hands up. Who did? Maxwell is the only player who raised his hand. Langer shook his head.

Fearing the implications for the broadcast deal, I arranged a meeting with Cricket Australia’s broadcast staff, Fox and Langer. A solution was found on the eve of the first match, with players talking to spider cam when it dropped down during breaks.

What was all the fuss about? And why so close to the start of the season?

An hour before the first match, as players were warming up on Adelaide Oval and Mark Howard was dodging fast bowlers doing pre-match interviews for Fox, there was a roar in my left ear.

Startled, I looked around. There was Langer, steely-eyed and square-jawed. I quickly looked to see if a Fox cameraman or cable had got in the way of a warm-up drill, but could see nothing untoward.

“What’s that?” Langer roared again, pointing over his shoulder. “We’ve got to play these blokes in an hour!”

The video screen next to the Adelaide Oval scoreboard was showing highlights of Sri Lankan captain Lasith Malinga, bowling batsmen with his trademark slinging, swinging yorkers.

“[With Langer, you] were never certain whether your question was going to be met with an answer or an explosion.”

Malcolm Conn

I had another quick look around the ground but no one was paying attention to the screen. They were too busy watching cricket balls flying around during warm-ups. I went off to look for whoever was in charge of screen output, but could not help wondering whether there might be more important things to worry about going into the first match of the summer.

Like many of these minor incidents, Langer’s latest blow-up at a Cricket Australia digital journalist during the recent tour of Bangladesh is nothing in isolation, but contributes to a pattern of erratic behaviour.

The digital journalist was castigated in clear view of the squad by team manager Gavin Dovey because cricket.com.au — controlled by Cricket Australia but run as an international cricket news site — had posted a video of Bangladesh celebrating their series victory over Australia. Dovey later admitted he could have handled things better.

When Langer found out, he marched over to the journalist and told him to be very careful, or words to that effect. It was schoolyard stuff which in another setting could have become an HR matter. At the very least it was completely unnecessary and again, a long way from an incident worth worrying about when your team is 3-0 down with two matches to play.

I’ve known Justin Langer most of his cricketing life. As a cricket writer, I covered his debut when he made a courageous half century against the West Indies in early 1993, wearing a blow on the helmet from fast bowler Ian Bishop at his peak under a dark Adelaide sky.

I admire the way he fought for eight years to establish himself as half of the most successful opening partnership in Australian history with Matthew Hayden.

And his standing as a statesman was pivotal to restoring trust with the Australian public when he was appointed as coach to pick up the pieces after the ‘Sandpapergate’ meltdown in South Africa three years ago.

But players are being worn down by the volatile, high-stress environment he inhabits as coach, and his folksy, clichéd motivational homilies.

As one player told the Herald and The Age: “It becomes draining and affects everything.”

Malcolm Conn was a senior communications manager for Cricket Australia and Cricket NSW between 2014 and 2021.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 8:25pm
Poor old Joe the camera man Big smile LOLLOL " the brown nose gnome " yeah right . Wink
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 8:40pm
Which Australian player has enough status they could tell Langer to simply kiss off ? 
reductio ad absurdum
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Which Australian player has enough status they could tell Langer to simply kiss off ? 

Heard this discussed in the Radio TAB breakfast show the other morning. Thoughts were that someone at the end of their international career, content to milk the T20 circuit cash may be happy to tell him what they think. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:14pm
I'm not a cricketing follower (used to be years ago before i cottoned on to US sports) - however i always thought it was odd the way Langer left the game. He seemed to skulk out for no good reason. Is that fair or not ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 9:30pm
Yeh, that probably is unfair. Didn't he retire in the same match as Warne and McGrath ?

I think you might be thinking of Damian Martyn ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:02pm
Correct djebel, Langer retired at the conclusion of the 06/07 Ashes series alongside Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, if anything his retirement was as understated as his test career in general.

Damien Martyn just upped and walked out, was very strange.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 4:15pm
Ok - i was probably thinking Damien Martyn  Thumbs Up
Refer ALP Election Promises
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:51pm
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 10:00pm
Marto retired after the 2nd Test in Adelaide i think from memory
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 6:15pm
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 6:21pm
"If media reports are correct ..."

So nobody directly involved had the guts to tell Langer of their displeasure?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 6:44pm
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:15am
You must have to look hard to find stuff like that - batsy the anonymous blogger.LOL
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:44am
Maybe time to change the title and job description from coach to team manager and have him sitting in the management suite not the players box.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:14pm
Lets see.

1. Nowhere near winning the one day World Cup in 2019. Fail.

2. Nowhere near winning or even making the final of the World Test Rankings. Fail.

3. Won the T20 World Cup. Pass.

4. Played favorites with selection (which every coach does). Fail.

5. Thinking his position is the most important one for the sport. Fail.

It is not exactly a glowing endorsement, and if you think the Australian players hated him then England's players will not be kind to him either. if he gets their coaching job.  

Post Reply Post Reply