Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Live animal shipments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:21pm
It appears that Australia has sovereign jurisdiction within 24 nautical miles of our Territorial Sea baseline ... it would be hard to argue that, it extends to our Exclusive Economic Zone (200 nautical mile limit), in this case.

Notwithstanding that, the conditions shown in the video, didn't arise in the time that it takes to ship the animals from 24 k's offshore, direct to their destinations in the Middle East or Indonesia, which would take a matter of days at most.

There will never be a zero attrition rate when dealing in commercial livestock farming, sales and distribution, however, RSPCA intervention, at least up until the time of departure, would mitigate those conditions arising, as much as possible. 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 4:47pm
How ???  When as you say those conditions dont occur until the ship is miles and miles away from Aust .
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 5:13pm
I can't believe that the video we saw represents a couple of days at sea either ... other than sensationalising it, did the "reporters" say how long those animals had been on that ship, or how their condition and that amount of excrement had accumulated over what period of time?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:25pm
Not sure ( cant remember exactly )  but I think he did say it was taken once the ship reached the area where it heated up a lot more,  way out in the ocean, so had to be a long way from Ozz one would suspect.   Look at the depth of the poo and you can tell its not a collection of a few days.  Thats weeks worth.  It was up to their bellies in some shots.  Just look how they are crammed in tho !  No room to move or even lay down, so standing crammed together for weeks, and lambs being dropped to be trampled as soon as they are born. ( Which also should not be happening as they are not to ship preggers ewes ).  Must have piss poor vets in the Aussie contingent if they cant sort preggers from non preggers .   How ever are they allowed to cram them in like that ?  The weaker ones wouldnt even be able to force their way to water troughs.  And the ones in the middle would never ever get near the sides for a breeze or breath of fresh air. 
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 6:44pm
Again, and I'm not making excuses, but we have been given no explanation about how this came about, but I would suggest that these are NOT the normal transportation conditions.

... don't expect those facts to be reported by the media, in case it reduced the outrage.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:40pm
The guy took footage of 4 or 5 different trips.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:50pm

A WHISTLEBLOWER hotline is being urgently established to expose animal welfare breaches in the live export trade after “shocking” incidents of cruelty to sheep were revealed.

Federal Agriculture Minister David Littleproud has also launched an investigation into his own department’s “capabilities and culture” after it failed to find any breaches by one exporter that was allegedly part of the Nine Network’s 60 Minutes’ expose last night.

The Minister signalled the government would also look at tougher penalties for the heads of export firms, including jail terms and heavy fines, if they breached live export rules.

Mr Littleproud said the hotline would be running by the end of the week after a person came forward with video footage showing dozens of distressed sheep struggling to breathe on a ship last August.

“We need to put in place an environment as soon as we possibly can to protect those brave young men and women to come forward and call out bad behaviour,” Mr Littleproud told reporters in Melbourne.

His comments come after the Nine Network aired footage last night of hundreds of Australian sheep, cramped together and dying aboard squalid live export ships headed from Australia to the Middle East.

The video, filmed by a navigation officer on board multiple voyages, showed thousands of animals packed into ship’s pens, panting in the extreme heat.

More than 1300 sheep allegedly died in two days during an intense heatwave in the Persian Gulf.

The navigation officer told 60 Minutes that crew fainted while the sheep, unable to leave the boat, were essentially being “put in an oven”.

Crew members are seen tossing carcasses from the boat into the sea while others fight for food or collapse and die in filth below deck.

It is alleged Emanuel Exports was behind one of the recorded journeys. Industry regulations forbid pregnant sheep being exported on the ships but the footage shows young lambs crammed in with the flock.

“I have seen a lot of little young lambs die - they’ve been crushed under the feet of other animals,” the officer said in a video diary aired by 60 Minutes. “It’s so distressing.”

Animals Australia, which investigated the footage and took the case to regulators, said the conditions have been accepted by the industry for decades.

A WHISTLEBLOWER hotline is being urgently established to expose animal welfare breaches in the live export trade after “shocking” incidents of cruelty to sheep were revealed.

Federal Agriculture Minister David Littleproud has also launched an investigation into his own department’s “capabilities and culture” after it failed to find any breaches by one exporter that was allegedly part of the Nine Network’s 60 Minutes’ expose last night.

The Minister signalled the government would also look at tougher penalties for the heads of export firms, including jail terms and heavy fines, if they breached live export rules.

Mr Littleproud said the hotline would be running by the end of the week after a person came forward with video footage showing dozens of distressed sheep struggling to breathe on a ship last August.

“We need to put in place an environment as soon as we possibly can to protect those brave young men and women to come forward and call out bad behaviour,” Mr Littleproud told reporters in Melbourne.

His comments come after the Nine Network aired footage last night of hundreds of Australian sheep, cramped together and dying aboard squalid live export ships headed from Australia to the Middle East.

The video, filmed by a navigation officer on board multiple voyages, showed thousands of animals packed into ship’s pens, panting in the extreme heat.

More than 1300 sheep allegedly died in two days during an intense heatwave in the Persian Gulf.

The navigation officer told 60 Minutes that crew fainted while the sheep, unable to leave the boat, were essentially being “put in an oven”.

Crew members are seen tossing carcasses from the boat into the sea while others fight for food or collapse and die in filth below deck.

It is alleged Emanuel Exports was behind one of the recorded journeys. Industry regulations forbid pregnant sheep being exported on the ships but the footage shows young lambs crammed in with the flock.

“I have seen a lot of little young lambs die - they’ve been crushed under the feet of other animals,” the officer said in a video diary aired by 60 Minutes. “It’s so distressing.”

Animals Australia, which investigated the footage and took the case to regulators, said the conditions have been accepted by the industry for decades.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:55pm
I rarely watch them, and if I do, I consciously ignore reports by 60 minutes, 4 Corners, ACA, 7:30 Report, etc ... as they are invariably designed to manipulate the facts to sensationalise events, and they are unashamedly biased in their reporting anyway - remember our friend with the spit hood? ... Cut Corners made all of that re-hashed footage - that had already been investigated, and recommendations ignored - look so terribly compelling that it had our own PM look like a fool calling a knee-jerk Royal Commission ... and he doesn't need help looking like a fool.

I have no doubt that bad things happen to these animals in extreme circumstances, but to think that it is common, based on a reporter trying to sell advertising space would be naive.

Notwithstanding that, as I have said from the start, steps can be taken to minimise the risk of it happening again ... there will be added costs, which will produce better commercial outcomes anyway if waste is reduced, and if our product is as highly regarded as it seems, the cost will be carried by the end user ... if not, the industry will be deemed unviable, and close down anyway.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:26pm
Did you see last night,s film of how the sheep are treated once they arrive in some hell hole overseas abbatoir ?   ( Cant spell that,,where are the spelling nazis when I need them ? )  They were slung around like sacks of spuds and repeatedly bashed with sticks. And I mean hammered .  Picked up by their wool and flung thru the air.  Not just 1 or 2 sheep and not just once or twice.  They were like mad men the way the carried on.   Shipment to that place has been suspended, thankfully.  Lets hope it stays suspended.
If there is a farmer reading this  ?   For ewes to be preggers ,  they must have a ram in the paddock/pen with them ?  If there has been a ram in with them before you sell them, then you must know there is an almost 100% chance they are preggers ?  So when they go thru the saleyards and are bought for export, who is responsible for putting their hand up and saying   "hey these old girls are up the duff "  ???    Or do they even go thru the yards, or is it a direct farm to export buyer process ? 
There are so many people responsible for this debacle, its not funny . Or acceptable.
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:27pm
Stop Islam?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:13pm
https://abuaminaelias.com/the-rights-on-animals-in-islam/Feb 29, 2016 - In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. Islam upholds the rights of animals to kind treatment and justice the same as it does for human being. Animals should not be abused or taken for granted. Allah has informed us that the animals are communities like human beings and have similar rights.

https://www.thoughtco.com › ... › Religion & Spirituality › Islam › Principles & Beliefs
Aug 21, 2017 - As we have seen, Islam requires that all animals are to be treated with respect and kindness. Unfortunately, in some Muslim communities, these guidelines are not followed. Some people mistakenly believe that since humans needs take priority, animal rights are not an urgent issue. Others find excuses to ...

I think many Islamists behave similarly to Christians i.e. rely on prayers to have your sins absolved then go out & do it all again Cry

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:52pm
Agriculture Minister David Littleproud has told Sky News the live export industry needs to change its culture or it will face the consequences. It follows the leaking of a troubling video showing sheep crammed on a ship, struggling to breathe in hot conditions.
Mr Littleproud said he would make a difference to the industry even if they had to be 'dragged kicking and screaming', saying the livelihoods of farmers matter more than a few exporters doing the wrong thing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:59pm
We will see . Lets hope he stands firm. 
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 2:04pm
This is with their best foot forward, post expose...disgusting trade must be stopped.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:44pm
Vile and disgusting.   I dont understand how they ever allowed this ship to leave Aust while this issue is on-going.  Those poor animals have weeks of suffering ahead of them and no one can help them.
animals before people.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 9:00pm
I actually believe farmers when they say how horrified by all of this. But something about their outrage rings hollow. It's their product. Someone needs to ask them- what are YOU going to do about all this?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:17pm

Daws inducted to LiveCorp Hall of Fame

STEPHANIE SINCLAIR

Outgoing LiveCorp chairman David Galvin (left), 2017 Lifetime Achiever Award winner Graham Daws and fellow Industry Hall of Fame member Ian McIvor.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:19pm

WITH almost 50 years’ experience in the live export industry, Emanuel Exports managing director Graham Daws was last week inducted into the LiveCorp Hall of Fame after being presented the Lifetime Achiever Award at the LIVEXchange 2017 gala dinner.

Mr Daws was one of two award recipients at the annual event at Perth’s Crown Towers last Thursday.

Harmony Agriculture and Food Company’s (HAAFCO) compliance and welfare manager Holly Ludeman was named the Landmark International and Australian Live Exporters’ Council (ALEC) Young Achiever of the Year.

After joining Emanuel Exports in 1971 – a company his father Tom incorporated in 1955 – Mr Daws has gone on to play a central role in Australia’s live sheep trade to the Middle East.

He was a founding member of the WA Livestock Exporters’ Association (WALEA) in 1977 where he served as chairman for five years and was involved in the formation of ALEC in 1985, which he later chaired for multiple terms.

Mr Daws was also a founding member of LiveCorp in 1998.

LiveCorp chairman Terry Enright said that Mr Daws had made an extraordinary contribution to the industry over almost five decades.

“Graham and his family have had a huge impact on Australia’s livestock export industry, especially as a driving force in the live sheep trade from WA to the Middle East,” Mr Enright said.

“His place in the industry’s Hall of Fame is thoroughly deserved.”

http://www.farmweekly.com.au/news/agriculture/general/news/daws-inducted-to-livecorp-hall-of-fame/2756253.aspx

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:32pm
So its an honourable thing to get a pat on the back for organising  ships of shame ???
He should be hanging his head in shame , IMHO.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:38pm
I'd like to cram a few thousand live exporters, pollies and farmers onto that ship and send it to the Middle East next summer.LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:44pm
Top idea, Tiaz.   I will back that idea 100%.Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

So its an honourable thing to get a pat on the back for organising  ships of shame ???
He should be hanging his head in shame , IMHO.

Would you like a ticket to the 2018 Banking and Finance Industry Awards aa?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:33pm
No thanks Dr E.  Its common knowledge they are all crooks. 
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:29am
I find it hilarious that when they are not attacking our asylum seeker policies and intake, the biggest punching bags that the ALP/Greens Collusion and our media has at the moment is banking and the live animal trade ... and yet our policies and practices in all three areas are the International Gold Standard! ... we do enjoy bashing ourselves up over nothing, don't we!!!Ermm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:58am
And here we have conservative politicians past and present coming out and calling out both banking and animal abuse. 

I guess some couldn't in good conscience maintain their bullsh*t political money trumps everything stance. Doc on the other hand is rock solid with the deplorables.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I find it hilarious that when they are not attacking our asylum seeker policies and intake, the biggest punching bags that the ALP/Greens Collusion and our media has at the moment is banking and the live animal trade ... and yet our policies and practices in all three areas are the International Gold Standard! ... we do enjoy bashing ourselves up over nothing, don't we!!!Ermm

Gold standard in live export is no live export. The problem with gold standards in that disgusting trade is that they are largely unenforceable. As for Australian banks being gold standard- where did you get that bullsh1t from? You sound like all those other idiots, mainly from the school of Murdoch, who were ranting about how useless and unnecessary a RC would be.

Did you catch Media Watch on the banking RC last night, PT? Very funny.LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:40am
No, I will watch the replay later,  but I read Turnbull admitting to making a ''political miscalculation'in not calling for the RC when it was being loudly called for.

Not a moral or ethical miscalculation, a political one. In other words it ended up costing opinion poll points and then probably votes. That is all that governs their behavior. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:59pm
PT, I am sure you will suss out an answer for me .Thumbs Up
Who else, besides Aust, live exports animals in such large numbers ? 
Just so we can compare Aust,s gold standards with theirs .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:32pm
Numbers are not clear and mostly old data but it seems it is a dying industry due to welfare concerns, except for Australia. NZ export industry has been largely restricted to breeding animals that are under heavy welfare requirements

Australia is the world’s largest exporter of sheep and cattle. According to Meat and Livestock Australia, 2.44 million sheep were exported to markets in Asia and the Middle East in 2012,[5] reduced from 4.2 million in 2008.[6] The total number of cattle exported in 2012 was 617, 301, down 11% from the previous year. Indonesia accounted for 45% of total live cattle exports from Australia in 2012. Total cattle exports to Indonesia reduced by 33% from 2011.[7]

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:33pm
Related image
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>