Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ben & Mark Currie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Why exactly is the actual trainer not stood down?

Interesting question, after all he trains the horses, dad takes the wrap, favourite son?
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:42pm
https://jeebung.com/2018/04/16/the-greatest-trainer-in-the-entire-universe-bar-none-just-ask-ben-the-tornado-will-tell-you/

Similar could be written about a certain young Sydney conditioner when he was starting out too
to the victor
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:22pm

Why exactly is the actual trainer not stood down?

Because he hasn’t been charged, and generally (although not in this case) people aren’t suspended or disqualified until found guilty.
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:28pm
https://www.racenet.com.au/news/ben-currie-galloper-a-non-stater-after-fiery-hearing-20180421

Steve Herbert distances himself from racehorse he co-owned with businessman Tony Khoury
Carly Crawford and Tom Minear, Herald Sun
October 29, 2016 9:39am
Subscriber only
EMBATTLED Andrews government minister Steve Herbert has moved to distance himself from the brother of a Mick Gatto associate with whom he owned a racehorse.

The Herald Sun can reveal that Mr Herbert and wife Liza McDonald had a stake in Gold Coast thoroughbred Sea Devil, along with Melbourne businessman Tony Khoury — the brother of powerful underworld figure Gatto’s close mate John Khoury.

Tony Khoury had assets including luxury cars, betting accounts and 10 racehorses, frozen by the tax office in 2012 following a joint investigation with Victoria Police anti-gangland detectives.

The ATO applied to restrain nearly $8 million worth of his assets, alleging $4 million in bank deposits could not be explained.

The matter settled and Mr Khoury, a long-time gambler and horseracing enthusiast, remains an active horse owner. Neither Tony Khoury, nor John, have any criminal convictions.

The Sea Devil syndicate was then formed in May 2015, with its composition being public since then.

But Mr Herbert yesterday moved to distance himself from Tony Khoury, whose tax office tangle had made headlines in 2012.

Melbourne businessman Tony Khoury, with whom Mr Herbert co-owned racehorse ‘Sea Devil’ Picture: Grant Peters, Trackside Photogrophy
The minister, in trouble for using his taxpayer-funded chauffeur to ferry his dogs between his city and country homes, has insisted he had no idea of Khoury’s involvement in the syndicate.

The horse was retired last year and Mr Herbert, who took on the Corrections portfolio in May, says he sold his share early this year.

“My wife and I had a small share in a horse syndicate,” Mr Herbert said through his media adviser.

“We have not had the financial share since early this year. Myself and my wife were unaware Tony Khoury was part of the syndicated horse nor have we associated with him.”

“Myself and my wife were unaware Tony Khoury was part of the syndicated horse nor have we associated with him.” Picture Norm Oorloff
While it is not uncommon for members of large syndicates to be unaware of other shareholders’ identities, other Sea Devil owners told the Herald Sun they were aware of Mr Khoury’s stake.

State Parliament’s register of members’ interests shows Mr Herbert cancelled his declared share in the horse.

A share in the horse Gorgeous Gal is Mr Herbert’s only current declared share in a racehorse. He routinely declares Racing Victoria tickets among his gifts worth over $500.

Tony Khoury told the Herald Sun that Sea Devil was retired, saying: “I don’t think it was much chop.”

Of Mr Herbert, he said: “Never met him, don’t know him ... I’ve got nothing to say.”

Opposition leader Matthew Guy said Mr Herbert had to go.

Mr Herbert’s embarrassing decision to have his chauffeur drive dogs Patch and Ted around the state has made headlines around the world — including China, the United States, Germany and Israel.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/luxury-assets-of-gatto-partners-brother-frozen-20120430-1xv52.html

monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:29pm
Ben Currie’s owner Tony Khoury makes Peter Foster look like a choir boy.
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:54pm
The old man is his sons patsy. Curtain will come down very soon. Good luck to stewards.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:17am
Nice little go at one in town , 66s into 21, won.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 12:51am
Making hay while the sun shines
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:57am
WTF is going on in QLD?
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:50am
Can someone please tell me what his runners to winners strike rate was for the last 6 months and tell me what it is now since the investigation started? Might pay to watch the comparison for the next 6 months
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Phantom Phantom wrote:

Can someone please tell me what his runners to winners strike rate was for the last 6 months and tell me what it is now since the investigation started? Might pay to watch the comparison for the next 6 months

If they let his horses run for the next 6 months, racing in Qld should just shut up shop. Trainer is responsible for what happens under his banner, not his father and not his stable hands.
to the victor
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by Phantom Phantom wrote:

If they let his horses run for the next 6 months, racing in Qld should just shut up shop. Trainer is responsible for what happens under his banner, not his father and not his stable hands.

Have to say it’s staggering he hasn’t been stood down.
Morston View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:56pm

Trainer is responsible for what happens under his banner, not his father and not his stable hands.

Unless you are a big name trainer from one of the bigger cities, of course
barney136 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barney136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:19pm
on another site said 24 starters since wentwood day 2 wins including none at Toowoomba where he dominates
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Morston Morston wrote:

Trainer is responsible for what happens under his banner, not his father and not his stable hands.

Unless you are a big name trainer from one of the bigger cities, of course

Indeed, then all stablehands are on ice and cocaine!
to the victor
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by barney136 barney136 wrote:

on another site said 24 starters since wentwood day 2 wins including none at Toowoomba where he dominates

6 winners from 39 runners since Weetwood day according to the Racing Australia website including 3 at TWBA
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:48am
It amazes me that owners would continue supporting these people. Any honest person would be wanting to distance them self from this debacle. Unless of course, you place winning prize money as your only motivation. I think it is a disgraceful situation. 😡😡😡😡😡
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

It amazes me that owners would continue supporting these people. Any honest person would be wanting to distance them self from this debacle. Unless of course, you place winning prize money as your only motivation. I think it is a disgraceful situation. 😡😡😡😡😡

Some owners just follow the gear, if not provide it. That’s why occasionally, instead of just banning trainers, they should look into banning horses.
to the victor
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:44pm

Some owners just follow the gear, if not provide it. That’s why occasionally, instead of just banning trainers, they should look into banning horses.

Exactly!
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:46pm

That’s already started with some like steroids hasn’t it? Agree though. Start with a 3 month ban on a horse similar to bleeders.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:01pm
Not good enough! if they want to use "helpers"without considering the ramifications of the people it will effect, a minimum of 12 months at Least!!!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:20pm
What were they giving them anyway?
to the victor
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:35pm
How would you know before the results are released?
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

results always come back clear - even if they’re not
to the victor
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:36pm

Your in a higher place than me linghi11 lol, so the old man will be charged with administering an unknown substance which we will not know about but he will know aboutbut won't be able to talk about, so as per the thread, everything remains as is.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:00pm

Your in a higher place than me linghi11 lol, so the old man will be charged with administering an unknown substance which we will not know about but he will know aboutbut won't be able to talk about, so as per the thread, everything remains as is.

You’ve pretty much summed up racing “justice” there Carioca
to the victor
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:13pm

You’ve pretty much summed up racing “justice” there Carioca

Lol, nothing like maintaining a sense of humour linghi11, I remember the good and not the bad times, helps me through the day.
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:23pm
It’s interesting that Racenet have closed the comments on this ongoing story with many people asking that same questions as this forum.    I think it would be great listening to hear how “Teflon” Mark Currie gets out of this...
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

That’s already started with some like steroids hasn’t it? Agree though. Start with a 3 month ban on a horse similar to bleeders.
In general the notion that there should be a blanket ban on horses because of the actions of individuals is a load of shyte. If owners are knowingly involved in shonky practices then provide the evidence, convict and ban them and withhold their share of any prizemoney it earns in their absence. 
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

In general the notion that there should be a blanket ban on horses because of the actions of individuals is a load of shyte. If owners are knowingly involved in shonky practices then provide the evidence, convict and ban them and withhold their share of any prizemoney it earns in their absence. 

Spot on 3bm. Especially these days where syndicates are involved
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>